Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider to be a major physical flaw?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just thought I would start some random topic here because I'm bored and its late and everyone is in bed. Anyway!

I was wondering about flaws....For instance I believe I have a double chin. Everyone tells me I don't and to be honest its just excess weight gain but it does bother me and I think it bothers everyone and everyone notices it. So.....Turns out this could be a lie and the way I perceive things. The other day my boyfriends best friend turned to me and said he had a huge fancy for one of the staff members in Dunnes Stores. A slightly largish young girl with a major double chin! I was like what the hell? Obviously I know people aren't bad but I consider it a flaw for me personally. I also remember my sister in law got injections into her forehead because she had a crease there which she was paranoid about. Yet when she said it to people.....no one had noticed it until she said it.

Whats your thoughts on physical flaws, whats yours and.....do you think there is areas people do over look more than others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

misscpmfan wrote: »
    ..my boyfriends best friend turned to me and said he had a huge fancy for one of the staff members in Dunnes Stores. A slightly largish young girl with a major double chin! I was like what the hell?

She's probably the type to wait until he finishes bagging before offering him the change.

Sure I'd fall in love her myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

Thats gas! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whats your thoughts on physical flaws, whats yours and.....do you think there is areas people do over look more than others.

Give me a minute to think about that one... :pac:

At least it's a distraction from the gammy hip that makes me walk with a limp, so in that sense, yep, people definitely overlook (*sniggers*, terrible pun, should be ashamed of myself :p) some flaws more than others.

Both of those though distract from the flaws other people can't really see which is that I can't really read nor write for sh1t, I use my phone to record meetings so I can transcribe my notes later, and reading itself is just a pain in the ass because it takes me fcuking ages, and then I'm still questioning myself did I understand what I read properly or did the person I'm communicating with actually understand what I was saying or were they just saying they did in order to get me to shut the hell up! Dyslexia, great fun at the best of times when misinterpretation can have some humorous results, pain in the ass most of the time though.

Meh, I try to work with what I'm given, something about life, lemons and lemonade, there are people in far worse positions than I am :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

When life gives you lemons squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies EYES! @_@

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A double chin that no one has negatively drawn your attention to abd that your boyfriend doesn't mind is hardly a "major physical flaw".
    Maybe you just want some reassurance on that?

I'd imagine this thread title might be very depressing for anyone dealing with a genuine issue such as a disfigurement of any sort. We all have issues of course but pointing out major physical flaws probably won't help any of us unless we want to feel better about our minor ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A double chin that no one has negatively drawn your attention to abd that your boyfriend doesn't mind is hardly a "major physical flaw".
    Maybe you just want some reassurance on that?

I'd imagine this thread title might be very depressing for anyone dealing with a genuine issue such as a disfigurement of any sort. We all have issues of course but pointing out major physical flaws probably won't help any of us unless we want to feel better about our minor ones.

Isn't that the point of the question though? I mean, what may be a physical flaw to you or I personally, may be trivial to someone else who doesn't see for example a double chin as a 'flaw'. I wouldn't go about pointing out other people's flaws, but the way someone feels about what they see as their own flaws, is what helps me keep perspective on what I see as my physical flaws. My physical flaws don't bother other people at all to the degree that they bother me, and that's actually a good thing.

I don't think anyone only the person themselves can decide for themselves what's a 'genuine' flaw, and what isn't. As you say perhaps it is reassurance the OP would like that what they feel is a major physical flaw really isn't all that major when put in perspective in comparison to other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just thought I would start some random topic here because I'm bored and its late and everyone is in bed. Anyway!

I was wondering about flaws....For instance I believe I have a double chin. Everyone tells me I don't and to be honest its just excess weight gain but it does bother me and I think it bothers everyone and everyone notices it. So.....Turns out this could be a lie and the way I perceive things. The other day my boyfriends best friend turned to me and said he had a huge fancy for one of the staff members in Dunnes Stores. A slightly largish young girl with a major double chin! I was like what the hell? Obviously I know people aren't bad but I consider it a flaw for me personally. I also remember my sister in law got injections into her forehead because she had a crease there which she was paranoid about. Yet when she said it to people.....no one had noticed it until she said it.

A face like a gowel would be bad, regardless of gender. Nobody would want to know ye for most of the evenin, but there'd always be a few that would sidle up to ye at around closing time with various 'suggestions' as to what could be done for the rest of the night.

I'm just two feet. I have no head, arms, body, and even most of my legs are missing. I start at the shins and end at toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Circa 2009 and ginger would've been extolled in post 1. We've come a long way and giners are now the sexy dominant breed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

While far far from a major flaw (no one should point out others flaws..rude!)

I've a scar on one side of my face that leaves me with pains/flicker/watering in the eye at times

People tell me...you wouldn't notice it...but always on a night out,you get someone come up and ask me about it :(

It's a weird conversation starter I guess :pac:...annoying as fcuk though....as if I wasn't bad enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭RayCon

No head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The San Andreas fault is a major physical flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Anyone hotter than me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Circa 2009 and ginger would've been extolled in post 1. We've come a long way and giners are now the sexy dominant breed.

Curse you Ed Sheeran!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The San Andreas fault is a major physical flaw.

Meh, that's subjective. Maybe it might not be so bad if half of LA slid into the Ocean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Currently I have a spot on my nose. I am going to need therapy if it does not go away soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

well done captain buzzkill :rolleyes:

are you serious that we shouldn't discuss some light-hearted trivial bullsh1t on the net for fear of upsetting people that have genuine hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I have a couple: A large mole/freckle on my face which is a family trait. (Luckily for the rest of my family they have the mole on their backs)
    Other one is shortsightedness. Being a 4-eyes isn't much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

While far far from a major flaw (no one should point out others flaws..rude!)

I've a scar on one side of my face that leaves me with pains/flicker/watering in the eye at times

People tell me...you wouldn't notice it...but always on a night out,you get someone come up and ask me about it :(

It's a weird conversation starter I guess :pac:...annoying as fcuk though....as if I wasn't bad enough!!

I have a scar on my chin that during the day no one comments about or if I mention it its all "wow I wouldnt have noticed".

Come night time,when people are drunk,its all "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CHIN?!"

Sober people are so much nicer,their face surprise and "oh,I wouldn't have noticed it at all!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

thejuggler wrote: »
    I have a couple: A large mole/freckle on my face which is a family trait. (Luckily for the rest of my family they have the mole on their backs)
    Other one is shortsightedness. Being a 4-eyes isn't much fun.

why don't you get laser eye surgery or lenses?

arayess wrote: »
    well done captain buzzkill :rolleyes:

are you serious that we shouldn't discuss some light-hearted trivial bullsh1t on the net for fear of upsetting people that have genuine hardship.

I think people pointing out their own flaws is grand, the title doesn't sound like that's what's being asked. I was just pointing it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Looking like John Merrick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I have a lot of scars on my head,they never really bothered me over the years but now that my hair is rapidly thinning,and I get it shaved they are very noticable.I look like a scumbag,and I've been turned away from many places because of it :(

I have a lot of scars on my head,they never really bothered me over the years but now that my hair is rapidly thinning,and I get it shaved they are very noticable.I look like a scumbag,and I've been turned away from many places because of it :(

That really sucks, just goes to show how stupidly judgemental people can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The human body is a marvel of natural selection. People often label us as a weak animal but I can't think of any other animal I'd rather be, we have a body that can do just about anything you want it to do.

A double chin, big nose, big ears.. None of these things are flaws.. It's like saying I'd like the headlights on my Ferrari to be smaller because those damned Italian designers haven't a clue what they're doing.

The only thing I'd really consider a flaw is if something didn't work properly. Cosmetically I don't really have any flaws, I'm fat but that's not my bodies fault. It's just trying to be helpful in case of famine.

I have a lot of scars on my head ... I've been turned away from many places because of it :(

Why not put on a hat/cap until you're in the door?

Or even wear a very realistic full face mask like this.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The human body is a marvel of natural selection. People often label us as a weak animal but I can't think of any other animal I'd rather be, we have a body that can do just about anything you want it to do.

Back pain is one of the greatest scourges humans are afflicted with and a Study in The Journal of Scientific Studies of Science states
    Oh no, we couldn't just stay on all fours like the rest of the lads. No, we got all uppity and started standing up, and shit, and now our backs be fucked, yo.

"Uppity Apes", Journal of Scientific Studies of Science: Vol 47, Issue 3, p22-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Why not put on a hat/cap until you're in the door?

Or even wear a very realistic full face mask like this.

I said I'm ugly, not a transvestite. Uh oh worm can opened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've quite a bump on my nose from when I fell off the back of a chair as a kid and nosedived onto concrete. I'm very conscious of it and it would be the first thing I'd get changed about myself, not only because it was one of the many things I was bullied about in secondary school, it also still causes a lot of bother with sinus. I know it's mostly in my head but it's always the first thing I notice in photos of me.

In terms of malfunctioning anatomy, I've been cursed with genetically weak wrists which rules out any activity such as yoga or parkour...

Advertisement