Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran nuclear deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

jank wrote: »
    there is absolutely zero evidence that this deal will provide a more stable and secure middle east.

What a bizarre and redundant statement. How can anyone provide evidence for a future that hasn't yet happened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What a bizarre and redundant statement. How can anyone provide evidence for a future that hasn't yet happened?

Ask gringo who stated it as fact....

I asked you a question, here it is again.

How can anyone provide evidence for a future that hasn't yet happened?

I asked you a question, here it is again.

How can anyone provide evidence for a future that hasn't yet happened?

My point exactly, how can someone state that this deal guarantees a safer and more peaceful middle east? It doesn't.

My point exactly

No it isn't. You enthusiastically agreed with Gringo180's assertion that:
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Iran will become a regional super power
    Precisely my point.

So you agree wholeheartedly that Iran will become a super-power (no evidence for a future yet to happen) and then highlight that there is 'zero' evidence for a future you presumably disagree with?

How bizarre. Or should I say 'how predictable'. :)

• Advertisement

No it isn't. You enthusiastically agreed with Gringo180's assertion that:

So you agree wholeheartedly that Iran will become a super-power (no evidence for a future yet to happen) and then highlight that there is 'zero' evidence for a future you presumably disagree with?

How bizarre. Or should I say 'how predictable'. :)

Gringos point was that this deal will secure a more stable and peaceful Middle East, which is wishful thinking at best and has no basis in evidence.

However lifting sanctions against Iran will empower them and embolden them for better or worse to be a more dominant player in the region.

Of course if you think that lifting of economic sanctions will have no output of change at all on Iran and its domestic and foreign policy which I think you are saying then say it.

What is your opinion on the matter on hand or are you satisfied in word play and blind alleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

World powers reach an agreement over Iran's nuclear programme today I see.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jul/14/iran-nuclear-talks-deal-historic-vienna-live-updates

This is a huge step and in the right direction for stability in the middle east in my opinion, this deal will allow Iran to become a regional power again which is badly needed in the Arab world which is rife with civil war.

I never stated it as fact, as always anything I post are my opinion.

Anyway, I honestly do not see how anybody could call this agreement a bad deal. Instead of war rhetoric and posturing to the Iranians the west has decided to engage with them through diplomacy and Tehran has agreed to limit there nuclear stock pile and allow inspectors in on request. How is this a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

allow inspectors in on request.

Pending a 24 day waiting period on any facility the Ayatollah designates 'military'.

And only of facilities that are known.
    No full disclosure.

Pending a 24 day waiting period on any facility the Ayatollah designates 'military'.

And only of facilities that are known.
    No full disclosure.

Would you rather alienate the Iranians or negotiate with them? They could be a good ally to have in the region which is rife with civil war and extremist groups like ISIS. There a lot better than the Saudi's who fuel extremism in the middle east.

Would you rather alienate the Iranians or negotiate with them?
    Hobson's choice, but good try.
    .... And they already are alienated!
    There a lot better than the Saudi's
    Baffling that someone can hold one form of fundamentalist Islamic tyrrany over another, slightly different form of fundamentalist Islamic tyranny!

Who does that?
    who fuel extremism in the middle east.
    Ehhhh...... yeah..... the cuddly bunny Ayatollah wouldn't do that!

See above.

• Advertisement

Hobson's choice, but good try.
    .... And they already are alienated!

Baffling that someone can hold one form of fundamentalist Islamic tyrrany over another, slightly different form of fundamentalist Islamic tyranny!

Who does that?

Ehhhh...... yeah..... the cuddly bunny Ayatollah wouldn't do that!

See above.

Yes because funding groups that are being occupied and oppressed is on the same level as funding groups that want a world wide caliphate :rolleyes:

Lets get back on topic.

This deal lifts economic sanctions in Tehran so I would say they are no longer alienated.

However lifting sanctions against Iran will empower them and embolden them for better or worse to be a more dominant player in the region.

Maybe, maybe not.
    What is your opinion on the matter

I believe the US had little choice but to go for a deal, which I think they've done well out of, for two reasons.

1. The Israeli attack on Lebanon showed what a US attack on Iran might look like. The US could flatten Iran from the air and perhaps disrupt the Iranian nuclear programme for a few years but would meet stiff resistance on the ground and probably suffer huge losses. That's before we consider the US public and many top brass in the Pentagon were steadfastly against an attack.

2. Currently the US can impose sanctions unilaterally and choke an economy. In the not-too-distant future the US's ability to throttle countries could well be limited by rising economic power in east Asia. The AIIB has the potential to be a game changer. The US could incorporate Iran into its sphere of influence and open it up for western corporations or risk 'losing' it to China/India down the line.

Having said the above the only thing predictable about the future is that it is unpredictable. If you'd have told people in the mid 80's that in less than 15 years Capitalist Russia would be flying Rich Americans into space as tourists, people would have laughed at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Would you rather alienate the Iranians or negotiate with them? They could be a good ally to have in the region which is rife with civil war and extremist groups like ISIS. There a lot better than the Saudi's who fuel extremism in the middle east.

The Saudis just arrested like 400 ISIS members, no? Yes the Saudis can be blamed for the continued funding of extremist groups, but they're not doing it solely to create an extreme place. They're doing it because Sunni extremists hate the Shia more than they hate Wahhabi Sunnis. The Saudis are trying to wield a sword without a handle.

If you think Iran is any better than the KSA, you'd be wrong. Both of them are horrible, repressive regimes with regional ambitions and will target civilians if it gets them what they want.

Both of them are horrible, repressive regimes with regional ambitions and will target civilians if it gets them what they want.

One wonders how Iran would have fared had its elected government not been subject to a coup at the hands of US/British interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One wonders how Iran would have fared had its elected government not been subject to a coup at the hands of US/British interests.

Certainly better off than under the current theocracy but it had huge wealth division between the urban and rural areas. The various social programs that the Shah pushed through led to serious dissent and opposition from the religious groups at the time and laid the ground work for Khomeini's rise to power. Mossadeq was also partial to authoritarian actions himself, certainly towards the end of his time in power.

The various social programs that the Shah pushed through led to serious dissent and opposition from the religious groups at the time and laid the ground work for Khomeini's rise to power.

So what you're saying is, forget that the democratically elected Mossadeq was overthrown and focus on religious groups opposing an installed stooge? Maybe the religious groups would have shut up if they'd had to face democratic realities of the Iranian people?

Anyway, I honestly do not see how anybody could call this agreement a bad deal. Instead of war rhetoric and posturing to the Iranians the west has decided to engage with them through diplomacy and Tehran has agreed to limit there nuclear stock pile and allow inspectors in on request. How is this a bad thing?

For Iran its a good deal no doubt, for the rest of the middle east, not so sure. The Suadi's are most unhappy about it and there has been already talk of a new arms race as its clear that the US is disengaging from the region. Also, it does nothing to stop Iran getting the bomb eventually.

When Jimmy Carter is on record last month saying that American status and influence in the region and world is deteriorating then you know how serious the situation is. Some anti-western types would jump for joy at this prospect however, I say careful what you wish for as the balkanisation of the middle east is ever more closer.

There a lot better than the Saudi's who fuel extremism in the middle east.

Pot & Kettle come to mind. They sponsor Hamas and Hezbollah among others. Never-mind that islamofascism has its origin in the Iranian revolution of 1979. Sometimes people cannot help themselves with their anti-american stance, and portray Iran as some poor victim of US foreign policy who are totally blameless for their actions e.g. executing 3,000 people for the crime of being gay. Sure, officially there are no gay people in Iran, right?

Saudi and Iran are two sides of the same coin, don't make the mistake that one is inherently evil cause the US backed them and the other is inherently better or good because they have been traditional enemy of the US for 4 decades.

At least people are starting to recognise the true make up of power and conflict in the middle east, its not the US or the West or even Israel. Its the 1000 year old Sunni vs Shia sectarian conflict that will probably be raging for another 1000 years.

Maybe, maybe not.

A very decisive viewpoint! :rolleyes:

Again, reiterating the main point I initially made, was that people who think that this deal will herald some kind of new peaceful era for the Middle East are in for a big shock. These people generally think that all the ills of the region are purely because of Western intervention. Take you that intervention, you will have an organic magical peaceful process emerge from it. That is an utterly naive view point as we will see in the coming years that dismisses all ethnic, tribal and religious divisions that are centuries old in the region.

Probably because its a theocracy and the "elected Government" has no real power?

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is, forget that the democratically elected Mossadeq was overthrown and focus on religious groups opposing an installed stooge? Maybe the religious groups would have shut up if they'd had to face democratic realities of the Iranian people?

That's not what I was getting at. I was referencing the massive divide between the urban, westernised population and that of the rural. I think a democratic government would have faced a similar rise of militant islam as the Shah did. Whether they would have done better at pushing through reforms and countering the influence of the clerics is unknowable.

Pot & Kettle come to mind. They sponsor Hamas and Hezbollah among others. Never-mind that islamofascism has its origin in the Iranian revolution of 1979. Sometimes people cannot help themselves with their anti-american stance, and portray Iran as some poor victim of US foreign policy who are totally blameless for their actions e.g. executing 3,000 people for the crime of being gay. Sure, officially there are no gay people in Iran, right?

Saudi and Iran are two sides of the same coin, don't make the mistake that one is inherently evil cause the US backed them and the other is inherently better or good because they have been traditional enemy of the US for 4 decades.

At least people are starting to recognise the true make up of power and conflict in the middle east, its not the US or the West or even Israel. Its the 1000 year old Sunni vs Shia sectarian conflict that will probably be raging for another 1000 years.

Islamic fascism has roots far deeper and older than the 1979 revolution. The House of Saud's rise to power was built on an alliance with Wahabist sects, a partnership that continues through to today. That's not even taking into account the aggressive, expansionist nature of Islam as a whole.

The House of Saud's rise to power.....

....Was nearly half a century before fascism's rise to prominence in the world!
    The House of Saud is 260 years old!

I think you are confusing fascism with plain old feudalism/monarchism.....
    or you are vaguely trying to defend the ayatollahs via whataboutery.

Islamofascism is a relatively modern descriptor.

....Was nearly half a century before fascism's rise to prominence in the world!
    The House of Saud is 260 years old!

I think you are confusing fascism with plain old feudalism/monarchism.....
    or you are vaguely trying to defend the ayatollahs via whataboutery.

Islamofascism is a relatively modern descriptor.

I'm doing neither, I was replying to a statement stating that Islamic extremism is a recent phenomenon. Islamofascism being a modern term doesn't make it an inaccurate description of previous events.

I'm doing neither, I was replying to a statement stating that Islamic extremism is a recent phenomenon. Islamofascism being a modern term doesn't make it an inaccurate description of previous events.

How so? The Crusades were fought because the Islamic groups were attacking Christian pilgrims. The Reconquista was fought to reclaim Iberia from Moorish (Muslim) power. The Balkans were the battleground between the Christian West and the Islamic Ottoman Empire for centuries. The current incarnation of Islamist extremist (using online media, for instance) might be new but Islamic extremism as a whole is nowhere near new. It is centuries old.

How so? The Crusades were fought because the Islamic groups were attacking Christian pilgrims. The Reconquista was fought to reclaim Iberia from Moorish (Muslim) power. The Balkans were the battleground between the Christian West and the Islamic Ottoman Empire for centuries. The current incarnation of Islamist extremist (using online media, for instance) might be new but Islamic extremism as a whole is nowhere near new. It is centuries old.

I know, I was countering another poster who posited that it arose after the 79 Revolution.

Islamic fascism has roots far deeper and older than the 1979 revolution. The House of Saud's rise to power was built on an alliance with Wahabist sects, a partnership that continues through to today. That's not even taking into account the aggressive, expansionist nature of Islam as a whole.

I take your point on board. I was referring to the modern 20th century concept in terms of a modern nation state. It is true though that Islamic extremism goes much further back then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Terry5135

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33518524

So what do you think, a historic moment, or just some breathing space until the sanctions are ramped up by Congress again?

The latter. Unfortunately.

The problem with all discussions about Iran is the acceptance of the underlying assumptions that Iran needs to be discussed, parsed, examined, and generally treated as "someone to watch" so to speak. It's as if one is contemplating allowing a convicted felon into their neighbourhood, never mind that said felon has already paid his/her debt. Personally, I don't think even felons ought to be treated that way, but fear is a powerful force.

But Iran?

Any real threats in the middle east emanate from Israel (and lately, IS) and, of course, America. If anyone should be under scrutiny over questions like, "what if they develop Nuclear Weapons" it should be the biggest murderers in the region, it seems to me. Gee, I wonder who that is. But of course, the question would seem absurd in that case. Seem.

The real problem is two fold. Firstly that any discussion about Iran in the United States is not going to be anywhere near as rationale as in this forum; ie, in this country. Unfortunately, those American discussions are the ones that matter.

Secondly, neocon agendas and how Israel interacts with those agendas. Someone argued that America will not decide based on Israel's interests. That may be true, but America will decide based on the interests of the military industrial complex and those tend to coincide nicely with Israeli desires. War is profitable. But war with nuclear powers is tricky. No one has attacked N.Korea or staged coups or baited them endlessly.

Another problem is what happens when political developments go against the designs of that power base. Rightly or wrongly, it has been argued effectively by Robert Parry and others that the coup in Ukraine, the campaign against Russia and Putin specifically, etc, etc, is a direct result of Russia helping Obama out of a fix, which was what to do about Syria. Arguably, perhaps Russia made attacking Syria impossible, or maybe it just provided Obama an out from internal pressures. We'll never know. But certain parties will not forgive Russia. Remember what General Wesley Clark (who is now advocating internment camps in the US) said about neocon plans for the middle east when he was running for president (a speech that delighted progressives no end).

Personally, I think the whole idea of Iran getting a bomb is a storm in a teacup. For one thing, their Ayatollahs have said that nuclear arming is against their religion and I believe them. This doesn't mean things can change, but it does reveal an attitude. Furthermore, I don't care if they get such a bomb, they'll never dare use it. Contrary to cartoon ideas of enemies, states and state leaders do not tend to embark upon clearly suicidal paths. I also think that if anyone has such a weapon, then probably everyone should have such a weapon. Which admittedly is a principle that raises trepidation within myself, so I say it with stuttering voice and high anxiety - which translates to a dreadful lack of certainty and a search for a way to have my cake and eat it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Terry5135

I take your point on board. I was referring to the modern 20th century concept in terms of a modern nation state. It is true though that Islamic extremism goes much further back then that.

Modern Islamic extremism is quite recent, actually. I think conflating it with historical periods of Islamic ascendancy is building on sand.

Adam Curtis's documentary, The Power of Nightmares, is a superb look at the rise of two parallel movements in the world, both of which he posited dated back to the same time period. It's in three parts and can be found in full on the internet, though alas, not any more on youtube.

Furthermore, we live in an extreme world of violence which we take for granted, while we focus intently on a comparatively minor force (which is not to say that it isn't dangerous and extremely unpleasant). I'd suggest any number of talks by Noam Chomsky on the subject.

We've been killing people in the millions for their resources without batting an eye. They form up and start acting equally bloodthirsty and we get our knickers in a twist. Not that there are any excuses, but let's keep in mind our own complacency about those tens of millions of innocent lives we don't care about as we form lynch mobs for those peasants who start getting uppity in far away places.

• Advertisement

Terry5135 wrote: »
    Modern Islamic extremism is quite recent, actually. I think conflating it with historical periods of Islamic ascendancy is building on sand.

Adam Curtis's documentary, The Power of Nightmares, is a superb look at the rise of two parallel movements in the world, both of which he posited dated back to the same time period. It's in three parts and can be found in full on the internet, though alas, not any more on youtube.

Furthermore, we live in an extreme world of violence which we take for granted, while we focus intently on a comparatively minor force (which is not to say that it isn't dangerous and extremely unpleasant). I'd suggest any number of talks by Noam Chomsky on the subject.

We've been killing people in the millions for their resources without batting an eye. They form up and start acting equally bloodthirsty and we get our knickers in a twist. Not that there are any excuses, but let's keep in mind our own complacency about those tens of millions of innocent lives we don't care about as we form lynch mobs for those peasants who start getting uppity in far away places.

I saw that Adam Curtis documentary and it is a good insight if not a bit different but it does verge on the 'conspiracy' theory a tad. It is though a very good documentary and well worth a watch to get a different view point.

I cannot say the same about Noam Chomsky's take on the matter as ideologically his beef is always with the West and will use all and any mediums or regimes (Pol Pot anyone?) to get his opinions across. He loves going on about the 'totalitarian west' and its use of 'propaganda' but with no hint on irony he will happily give RT news his full and undivided attention for an interview to get his anti-west message across.

Also, yes violence is still ever present in our world but the stats prove that as a human race and people we are becoming less violent. It doesn't help those caught in the cross fire in Syria of course but we should not make such blanket pronouncements that everything is crap.

Capitalism and free trade have been shown as a way towards peace. It open's up countries to new ideas and enables co-operation with each other. The EU for all its faults is another example of an organisation for peace. The issue with violence in the middle east is largely an issue with those that live there and their morals. If their religious laws for example advocates stoning adulteries to death or hanging homosexuals it is no surprise that in the world today that most of the conflict happens to stem from that region. The west did not invent Islam nor did it invent the Sunni vs Shia rivalry.

Advertisement