Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does watching Big Brother lower your IQ?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭

I had the misfortune over the past few weeks to see a few minutes here and there of Big Brother, not by choice I must add.

How the fcuk anybody watches that drivel is beyond me.

Get a heap (technical term) of shouty, egotistical ar5eholes into a house and film them shouting and roaring at each other.

Entertainment - I think not.

You'd surely have to get thicker the more you watch that sh1te.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It causes your IQ to go from a Natural Number to an Integer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Even reading a thread about big brother can lower your IU...eh...IQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Already low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You could be talking about Newsnight with that description OP. I always find you learn more from watching stupid people than you do from copying smart ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I watch Big Brother. It's great entertainment! People seem to just dismiss it as "oh that shhite again why would anyone watch that" without ever seeing it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I had the misfortune over the past few weeks to see a few minutes here and there of Big Brother, not by choice I must add.

Eh, taking you at your word that you had no choice but to witness these few minutes "here and there" - why though are you still thinking about it?

Wouldn't be that it interests you now would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Saw 15 minutes of a "celebrity" (I use that term loosely) big brother before - i didn't get the appeal personally, they were just chatting to each other on a couch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I watch Big Brother. It's great entertainment! People seem to just dismiss it as "oh that shhite again why would anyone watch that" without ever seeing it before.

As someone who has seen it before I do ask "why would anyone watch that". It is television for the brain dead. The same people that get excited by sparks falling from the ceiling on X Factor. "ooooooh shiny and sparkly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Surely the fact one is watching it anyways would suggest a low intelligence level to begin with?

So no harm done, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Saw a bit of a one on another channel,"Love House"or something.Made Big Brother look like an episode of Horizon.

Bit like watching a soap I suppose,getting involved with the characters and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i would disagree, there are actually very well thought out, articulate opinions expressed in the big brother thread. not just '' I hate marc cos he's mean'' or ''jack is the best he's so cute'' genuine intelligent debate on the psychology and personalities of the housemates and the environment they are in. they have even been referred to as leaving cert essays of debate and opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I landed on Sex and the City 2 while flicking through the channels last night, couldn't change channel quick enough to stop at least one brain cell escaping out my ears.

Big Brother is almost high brow compared to that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It was a Dutch invention many years ago, Big Brother.
    The very first series on Dutch tv was actually amusing but each and every one after that was utter rubbish.
    1 or 2 people from that original one, went on to have a bit of a career so everybody going in Big Brother after that tried to come over as special as possible to attract attention.
    The first series was just normal people beign themselves but it was the only one where that happened.

Now, many, many years later the Dutch owe the world an apology for coming out with this rubbish and the numerous spin offs.

So...sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

BattleCorp wrote: »

How the fcuk anybody watches that drivel is beyond me.

Get a heap (technical term) of shouty, egotistical ar5eholes into a house and film them shouting and roaring at each other.

Entertainment - I think not.

You'd surely have to get thicker the more you watch that sh1te.

Dail TV?

I only watch BB for the tits...Marc and Sam, I think, are their names

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Great viewing for those in a persistent vegetative state

mailforkev wrote: »
    I landed on Sex and the City 2 while flicking through the channels last night, couldn't change channel quick enough to stop at least one brain cell escaping out my ears.
    I saw that on an aeroplane a while back.

I assume it was financed by the Emirati Tourism Board or something? It's like one long, insipid infomercial for Abu Dhabi. I can sit through an episode of SATC no problem, but that shite movie makes Big Brother look like arthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i would disagree, there are actually very well thought out, articulate opinions expressed in the big brother thread. not just '' I hate marc cos he's mean'' or ''jack is the best he's so cute'' genuine intelligent debate on the psychology and personalities of the housemates and the environment they are in. they have even been referred to as leaving cert essays of debate and opinion.

The contestants are idiots though.

I'd draw parallels with studying animals in a controlled environment, but I've too much respect for animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I'd draw parallels with studying animals in a controlled environment, but I've too much respect for animals.

Marc is a Phd student in Maynooth in (I think) Chemistry and Biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Eh, some are, some aren't. At the end of the day it's just a game show with a large amount of money on offer. Not sure why you feel contestants who enter it are all idiots by default. That's not a very bright thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Marc is a Phd student in Maynooth in (I think) Chemistry and Biology

As has been witnessed with numerous 'balls of fire' on social media lately, academic intelligence doesn't always correlate with social intelligence.

While he's certainly academic and media savvy, this doesn't preclude him from being perceived as a giant cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Eh, some are, some aren't. At the end of the day it's just a game show with a large amount of money on offer. Not sure why you feel contestants who enter it are all idiots by default. That's not a very bright thing to say.

Well most of the winners have been idiots, usually idiots the idiot public in said country can idiotically relate to, like idiots

Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'd love to know what intellectually stimulating programmes the OP and others on here watch. I'm betting they don't spend their evenings watching art house films and documentaries about the philosophical teachings of Tibetan monks.

I imagine, like most people, they like to watch something easy and entertaining for an hour or so. Perhaps whilst glugging on a beer with their hand down their pants whilst guffawing at something funny they spotted on catswholooklikehitler.com.

If I'm wrong, please excuse the ignorant generalisation. I realise how smug and moronic generalisations like this can come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd love to know what intellectually stimulating programmes the OP and others on here watch. I'm betting they don't spend their evenings watching art house films and documentaries about the philosophical teachings of Tibetan monks.

I imagine, like most people, they like to watch something easy and entertaining for an hour or so. Perhaps whilst glugging on a beer with their hand down their pants whilst guffawing at something funny they spotted on catswholooklikehitler.com.

If I'm wrong, please excuse the ignorant generalisation. I realise how smug and moronic generalisations like this can come across.

Oh snap !

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I used to love it about seven or eight years ago, however it got dull when they started running out of ideas and the housemates became too aware of the cameras/what to do to get attention etc. It was on it's last legs when channel 4 pulled the plug on it, so I'm genuinely baffled as to how people can still find it enjoyable on channel 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

catswholooklikehitler.com.

Well, there goes my evening :pac:

I suppose it's a sort of 'the chicken or the egg' scenario.

I wouldn't be too harsh on people who watch BB, we all have our guilty pleasures. For me, watching two teams of people on a pitch chase a ball around isn't entertainment anymore than something like BB is. We're all different and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

I disagree. I think anyone who reduces themselves to arguing dramatically over petty things and purposely making fools of themselves for public consumption is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Like Court Jesters.... but without the talent..... Like that one mate all of your friends think is an "Absolute loon" or "HE'll say anything, he's gas".... but a room full of like 14 of them.... literally spending their full time... on TV... being mad bastards

• Advertisement

I disagree. I think anyone who reduces themselves to arguing dramatically over petty things and purposely making fools of themselves for public consumption is an moron.

What about someone with limited options who seizes the opportunity to become a household name on the back of a reality show, and parlays that into a lucrative, if short lived, media career, thereby setting themselves up in a way they wouldn't have been able to otherwise?

Moronic? Or pragmatic?

Advertisement