Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

monument wrote: »
    How's about hearing whether the driver sounds like he's accelerating? Easier again to hear, but I'm still not clear as to what the accelerating driver is doing that hearing them a little more would change things.

How's about hearing that it's a truck? Why, will you be mounting the footpath or what if it is?

How's about hearing that it's a moped that is likely trying to share your lane? Far more mopeds in Amsterdam, legally (for now) on cycle paths.

I'm not prescribing anything to anybody and I disagree with your assertion that I am. I'm making a point in how I think earphones affect your ability to know what's happening around you and I'm not sure whether you agree or disagree with the premise. You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying, taking what I'm saying out of context or don't understand what it's like to cycle.

You say "How's about hearing whether the driver sounds like he's accelerating? Easier again to hear, but I'm still not clear as to what the accelerating driver is doing that hearing them a little more would change things." When I hear a driver accelerating, I'm aware that they might be trying to pass me in order to turn or squeeze me to avoid a hazard ahead, rather than hang back. I'm aware that they're doing something so my guard increases slightly until he has passed me.

You say "How's about hearing that it's a truck? Why, will you be mounting the footpath or what if it is?" No - I won't be mounting the footpath but I won't look over my shoulder (and risk a slight wobble in direction) until the truck has passed because, from experience, trucks cause more wind turbulence and tend to be a little closer than cars when they pass. More caution is needed.

The moped question? These are the drivers that I find most likely to pass with very little room to spare. I like to know that one is on the way so I can be ready. I can't speak for what it's like in Amsterdam.

Drivers should be personally responsible, but like I said - I think that is a different discussion. Surely we can discuss the merits / demerits of earphones on a bike without insisting that somebody else does something inconvenient to make up for it. Safety should be an overall approach by everybody doing what's relevant for them - not just a tit for tat of them vs us.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

People get all self righteous about helmets, but for me wearing headphones is far far worse than not wearing a helmet.

On the Mick Byrne in 2013 I was riding behind a guy who was wearing them in a bunch. At one point several people were screaming at him that a car was trying to overtake him but he couldn't hear. Not only anti-social but downright stupid wearing them in that scenario.

But maybe I'm biased as I can't stand people wearing headphones walking either. I absolutely detest it when I ask someone for directions and they stop and take off their headphones and say 'what?'.

What is with this constant desire to block out the rest of the world?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm not prescribing anything to anybody and I disagree with your assertion that I am.

You're saying people should take personal responsibility and not use headphones while cycling. You're not just saying "I do this and why", you're clear going beyond that.

That's prescribing an action.

You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying, taking what I'm saying out of context or don't understand what it's like to cycle.

Or maybe I view cycling, the risks involved with cycling, and the potential risk of headphone wearing a lot differently than you?

It's quite well established that people view risk differently.

You say "How's about hearing whether the driver sounds like he's accelerating? Easier again to hear, but I'm still not clear as to what the accelerating driver is doing that hearing them a little more would change things." When I hear a driver accelerating, I'm aware that they might be trying to pass me in order to turn or squeeze me to avoid a hazard ahead, rather than hang back. I'm aware that they're doing something so my guard increases slightly until he has passed me.

Back to my main point: Cars etc accelerating is easy to hear even while using headphones unless they are noise canceling and up loud.

Same goes for knowing if it's a truck.

LennoxR wrote: »
    People get all self righteous about helmets, but for me wearing headphones is far far worse than not wearing a helmet.

On the Mick Byrne in 2013 I was riding behind a guy who was wearing them in a bunch. At one point several people were screaming at him that a car was trying to overtake him but he couldn't hear. Not only anti-social but downright stupid wearing them in that scenario.

But maybe I'm biased as I can't stand people wearing headphones walking either. I absolutely detest it when I ask someone for directions and they stop and take off their headphones and say 'what?'.

What is with this constant desire to block out the rest of the world?

With the first case: that's madness.

But the second case is a reminder that some people against headphones more likely feel that way because of reasons beyond safety.

And in return I ask: What is with this constant desire to tell the rest of the world what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

loyatemu wrote: »
    A cyclist wearing headphones is still going to be far more aware of his surroundings than any driver.

Assuming that holds true, the cyclist is also far more likely to be seriously injured in any collision. I would argue that the cyclist with no ear phones is generally far better placed to make a defensive move based on what they hear compared to someone wearing headphones.

Assuming that holds true, the cyclist is also far more likely to be seriously injured in any collision.

Not really true. Or, more to the point, a distortion of risk assessment.

A HGV crushing a car is likely to have the same outcome as a truck crushing a bicycle.

I would argue that the cyclist with no ear phones is generally far better placed to make a defensive move based on what they hear compared to someone wearing headphones.

That seems to be based on the idea that all headphones cancel out all noise, which isn't the case.

Indeed, some people with headphones are likely to react better than some people without them -- because a little bit of talk radio or music won't slow reactions to louder noises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I absolutely detest it when I ask someone for directions and they stop and take off their headphones and say 'what?'
    The cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I absolutely detest it when I ask someone for directions and they stop and take off their headphones and say 'what?'
    Just respond 'oh, nothing, wasn't important'. This is guaranteed to drive them nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Do you listen to the radio in a car, do you talk to other people in the car? Do you think?

Check the thread title.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

check your privilege.

Cars and priviliges have nothing to do with cycling with headphones. If you're on a wind up good for you and hope it makes you happy but try and stick to the topic here.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Cars and priviliges have nothing to do with cycling with headphones.

Cars have nothing to do with headphones and cyclist safety?

Tag team of trolls here. Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bobcranfret

http://m.thelocal.fr/20150618/french-drivers-banned-from-using-earphones

Apparently this comes into operation on 1st July next. Also bans Bluetooth earpieces while driving or cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Tobh I think that's fair enough. I also think people should be able to endure the solitude of their own heads without having to be distracted by some kind of outside stimulation every waking moment, even out cycling. And if they manage to get over the awfulness of their own silence, they might discover it's not so awful after all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is this earphones to make calls or earphones to listen to music? If it's latter, it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Must admit I think.its only right. When cycling especial on busy roads you need to rely on all the senses to stay safe. Bugs the life out of me when people are wearing earphones while cycling. And it aint the same as listening to music while driving! Different ball game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What about race radio, is that banned also? The tour is going to be interesting this year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Is this earphones to make calls or earphones to listen to music? If it's latter, it's bizarre.

I understand it includes music and phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Banning earphones while walking will be next. It's ridiculous. Yes you have to rely on your senses, but one earbud in your left ear with the volume at a reasonable level wouldn't have the impact on the senses some people seem to think. And it is the same as listening to music while driving. It's the exact same principle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you are cycling/driving and relying on your hearing you are already not going about it safely so it makes little sense to force a ban to me. Deaf people can still drive and cycle fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

What about race radio, is that banned also? The tour is going to be interesting this year.

The Tour is run on closed roads, effectively a "rolling closed road". Normal rules of the road don't apply, thus you see bikes and support vehicles travelling on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way around roundabouts, breaking red lights and speed limits. They are allowed to do so by law.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I understand it includes music and phone calls.

I expected better from the French. I really did.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Ludicrous. It's quite possible to wear headphones and listen to music at a reasonable level and still be aware of sounds coming from other road users. Using the logic behind this move, deaf people would be banned from driving and cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

On a serious note, it is a mixed one for me, when I worked in Carlow and used to cycle to work from Kilkenny, I would always listen to the radio as I knew the road inside out, it's very straight and mundane. In cities, I rely on my hearing as an extra sense. I think this ban is like a lot of things, down to a perception of danger that isn't actually there, you can use a hands-free-kit but can't wear headphones, that's just a joke.

Red Kev wrote: »
    The Tour is run on closed roads, effectively a "rolling closed road". Normal rules of the road don't apply, thus you see bikes and support vehicles travelling on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way around roundabouts, breaking red lights and speed limits. They are allowed to do so by law.

I think you missed my attempt at humour.

From the French newspaper coverage it appears that the main target is people using Bluetooth earpieces in cars. Being France its surprising that cyclists are also being targetted.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2015/06/18/securite-routiere-et-telephone-tout-ce-que-vous-ne-pourrez-plus-faire-au-1er-juillet-1955825-4755.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

France.. Please ban windnoise, car tyre "roar", HGV air brakes etc.

when cycling I have to wear earphones and listen to music to drown out these annoying distractions! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I remember a courier in Dublin who used to cycle around with a small radio suspended from his crossbar playing music alfresco. I thought it was a nice way to do it. I remember walking through Front Arch at Trinity as he was passing through. This nice music wafted in with him and wafted out just as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

boombang wrote: »
    I remember a courier in Dublin who used to cycle around with a small radio suspended from his crossbar playing music alfresco. I thought it was a nice way to do it. I remember walking through Front Arch at Trinity as he was passing through. This nice music wafted in with him and wafted out just as quickly.

Thats exactly what the city is missing. All the cyclists, that are already apparently RLJ and ignoring even basic road rules, now transporting ghetto blasters on their handlebars so everyone gets to listen to their favorite One Direction or Justin Beiber track

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pelevin wrote: »
    I also think people should be able to endure the solitude of their own heads without having to be distracted by some kind of outside stimulation every waking moment, even out cycling.
    Some people use weekend bike-time to listen to audiobooks or big series history podcasts, in the same way you might find a quiet corner and read a book. I dislike this idea that legislation can decree that what a lot of people frequently consider to be "me time" should be spent without such pleasures.

FWIW, I tried briefly to listen to my regular podcasts since I started commuting but the traffic noise makes it impossible. (I now listen to music on shuffle which barely puts up a fight with the outside world.)

Up in the Dublin mountains however, away from kids, work and traffic, I reserve the right to choose my aural poison. :)

Advertisement