Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC 2015 Study Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Consonata wrote: »
    How do you keep the motivation up. Sometimes my head hits a brick wall in which case I have to go for a run to open it up again to study. How do you accomplish it more efficiently?

I haven't updated this is a while but really my only motivation is to get the course I want. If I hit a brick wall I'll just take a 20 min break and remind myself I need between 460-530 points. Little things like that :)

Magnate wrote: »
    Fair play to you. When I see the amount of work you're putting in you really deserve to be getting 625! I feel guilty for being able to do well without much additional study. I really hope you get the points, I need to know the system rewards hard work! :)

May I ask what you're doing in terms of classwork and homework? Maybe I'm just getting so much homework that it's making up for my lack of study. How about class, are your teachers good?

I learn things so slowly so I have to work so hard, that's why I started this early. Don't feel guilty, embrace it! :p Homework really depends on how much I've covered in class. It can be anywhere between 2-5 hours. My teachers are really good, most of them have masters.
    I try to squeeze in some study whenever I can

Just a Lil' update, I'll post my Xmas timetable when I get the chance. :)
    Geography- 3 A1's in three different questions...
    Economics is definitely helping with economic activities!!
    Beyond delighted :)
    I have some more of the project to write up and prepare for the real one
    English- we have finished the comparative, just waiting for my results on the essays.
    Maths- I'm so happy how far I've got, went from failing to getting C1's- B3's .... and people said it couldn't be done :cool:
    ( to be continued because exhaustion zzzzz )

So much for that timetable being posted :rolleyes:
    To be honest I'm just doing a little bit every day on the topics I found the most difficult during term time and some 5th year topics.
    Not long to the mocks
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Maths- all exam Q's from 2014-2011 done
    English- have to write out quotes
    Irish- poetry to be revised
    Geography- its boring but it has to be done I have to practice drawing maps of Ireland, France, Brazil etc
    Economics- I want to stay away from it tbh
    German- learn off my list of 2000 words+phrases..... fun
    Biology-all exam Q's from 2014-2009 done (well everything but the genetics Q's)

• Advertisement

Ah and the real studying has begun. This will not be updated regularly...study must be done :p
    5ish ? weeks until my mocks.
    Onwards and upwards I guess
    I finished work about 20 minutes ago so that's been 5-10:30 (5hrs) of homework, study, oral prep and project (minus 30mins for food+breaks)
    Going to read more of the picture of dorian gray then bed zzzzz

Timetable has changed since the mocks are getting closer
    I have covered
    Maths- trigonometry, differentiation, line, circle, financial maths, complex numbers, sequences etc
    Irish- All pros, half of poems
    English- 3 poets in detail, Desdemona and Othello
    German- relativ irregulars vocab außerungs
    Geography- have to double check tbh, its easy to lose track
    Bio- chapters 25-30 done
    Economics- market structures water charges oil prices USC tax, EU, elasticity, diagram practice

Best of luck everyone doing their mocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Oozamine

Hi,
    Just wondering what exactly have you studied about the water charges in economics? Just benefits and disadvantages of having them?
    Great study log!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Oozamine wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering what exactly have you studied about the water charges in economics? Just benefits and disadvantages of having them?
    Great study log!

know the taxation chapter, the canons of taxation, social cost/benefit, private cost/benefit, possibly circular flow of income and leakage

Oozamine wrote: »
    Hi,
    Great study log!

basically, effect on individuals, businesses, economy etc :)

• Advertisement

Taking a quick break before I start, got a lot done today in study so I have the rest of my homework then these:

Maths- logs and differentiation
    German- more oral work
    English- paper 2 practice

Since the strike is going ahead I can get a lot of work done tomorrow, tbh that is the only benefit of the strike for me. Get work done.
    I'm taking a break which means a nap :p then straight into biology exam questions and notes

studying German and Irish vocab for the listenings over the weekend
    Plath
    DNA
    just random small things tbh, I don't feel like stressing over a structured timetable so I'll go with le flow

This going with le flow idea is working quite well!
    I got so much covered yesterday and included breaks with jogging
    Mocks tomorrow... covering small elements of physical geography and fluvial/glacial defs

"Every small achievement will soon be one amazing success."
    :)

Seriously over thinking and wondering if I'll even get over 200 points in my mocks and LC
    Well I may as well write what I really want to get.... I don't have much faith tbh :(

SUBJECT | GRADE | POINTS
    English: |B1 | 85
    Gaeilge: | C1 | 70
    Math: | D3 | 70
    Biology: | B2 | 80
    Geography: | C1 | 70
    German: | C1 | 70
    Economics: | C2 | 65
    | | 445|

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Seriously over thinking and wondering if I'll even get over 200 points in my mocks and LC
    Well I may as well write what I really want to get.... I don't have much faith tbh :(

Keep the faith....keep the faith.

Maintain a happy(ish) balance between school and everyday life and you won't burn out. There is still over 4 months to the Leaving Cert.

Take it handy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gaeilgeoir23

Have you started your mocks yet? I wouldn't worry too much, I was freaking out last week before my mocks started, I thought I was going to fail everything but you would surprise yourself in the exam with what you can remember and how you perform under pressure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Economics will be easy to pick up a few grades in, a high A may be hard but in your first post you said you were getting B's so I don't think you have any reason to worry. A lot of people last year only got 300 in the mocks in my school and some improved to over 500. There's plenty of time left (4 months) and don't over study, the study you do should be active, not just working because you feel you HAVE to. You're not gonna remember any of it that way :p. Good luck, you'll be fine.

Now the anxious wait for the results....
    This halfterm I plan on sorting out all of my oral notes and re writing the untidy ones, practice many many many maths questions, geography essays and economics notes

Oral notes are ¾ done :pac:
    Revised 5th year topics in maths, paper one mostly
    Procrastinating sorting folders & files :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The results are in :(
    Maths- E
    English-C1
    Irish-D1
    German-C3
    Geography-D1
    Biology-B2
    Economics-D2

That's 370 points :(

Ran out of time in all exams
    Overall I'm extremely disappointed

I'm just not able for boards lately, everyone got high points and just :(
    I'm at the bottom of the potato sack
    I keep studying, I know where I went wrong just why am I stupid
    wow such a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I don't think it's that everyone on boards have gotten high results, I just think the people who DID get high results posted them, while others who didn't do well wouldn't want to share them.

And anyways! You didn't do bad! I'm not sure for other mocks, but most seem to have really hard tests for maths. I'd say everyone got a good 2/3 of what they are capable of for maths.

Then the other subjects, Geography and Economics, for example, can both be improved a lot by now to June.

I wouldn't read much into your results, they're about 100 off what you're aiming for? That can easily be made right by June, especially since we don't have to do the full thing in a week.

No motivation, nothing
    Absolutely nothing

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't think it's that everyone on boards have gotten high results, I just think the people who DID get high results posted them, while others who didn't do well wouldn't want to share them.
    Very true, if people aren't happy, they're much less likely to post.
    Ran out of time in all exams
    Overall I'm extremely disappointed
    The mocks should be mainly about the experience of doing the exam, and learning from your mistakes / what you can improve.

And immediately you know that you have a problem with timing, so this is something you need to work on.

And it can have a big impact on your results ... to take an extreme hypothetical case, if you're required to do 4 questions on a paper at 25% each, and you never get to the fourth one, no matter how well you do in the other three, you're automatically being marked out of 75, not 100.

I suspect your timing issue probably isn't as extreme as that, but it's something you need to work on.

One way is to practice doing papers yourself: pick a paper in a subject from a couple of years back, work out exactly how much time you should be giving to each section based on the marks available / weighting within the paper, lock yourself away for 3 hours (or whatever) and be ruthless with yourself about sticking to the timing.

Might not get it right the first time, but practice makes perfect! ;)

(You will also probably figure out from this some areas you need to revise / that you don't know as well as you thought you did.)

Exactly 2 weeks since my last post here.
    I'm happy to announce that I have found my motivation. :D
    The head is down and will continue to be down until June :cool:
    I absolutely love how I have a tonne of Easter homework to get stuck into..
    I'm not mad :o it's all revision and it WILL pay off.
    My Irish oral will be fine, I'm a bit wary of my German one however so if anyone has any tips I'd greatly appreciate it.:)

My motivational lyric getting me through this leaving cert, that will soon be my first tattoo is....
    Keep your hopes up high and your head down low

Best of luck with the Easter study lads :p

Okay a little update of what I've done so far since it's basically the end of week 1 of Easter :p
    Maths- all sample paper 1's completed
    Irish- wrote out all the new vocabulary from listening to previous aural exams and oral work
    English- 5 poetry essays and an Othello essay done
    Biology- did some OL questions for a memory refresh (I find this a very helpful study method idek)
    Geography- practiced maps and aerial photos
    German- oral work
    Economics- nothing at all

Never been so relaxed and happy studying before. Sun is out, sitting on the patio, sipping a screwdriver while learning nathanna cainte for the oral :cool::cool::cool:
    Who said the leaving was hard? :rolleyes:

This has 11,000 views?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm not going to stress myself out for the oral tomorrow... instead I'm making wall charts on ATP, NAD+ and NADP+
    If I have a little more time I'll make some for Glycolysis, Krebs and ETC

• Advertisement

Home run now guys and gals :cool:
    I can't wait for it all to be over if I'm honest
    I'm physically and mentally exhausted

I've finished my second set of math exam papers so now I'm onto mock exams and omg the difference is ridiculous. :eek::eek:
    Hopefully the exam won't be that bad in June.... hopefully :D

Advertisement