Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Analysts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,996 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

smash wrote: »
    Most jobs will require a level of analysis of facts or figures. If anyone ever told me they were an analysist I'd ask them to elaborate.

That's reasonable. In the appropriate setting, if I thought you might enjoy hearing the details of the information I analyse and the purpose of the work I do, then I'd certainly oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I just don't get using a term that is getting more generic and it's meaning covering almost everything with every passing day, so much so that there is more than a hint of stigma becoming attached to it. I don't think that's a bad thing because I find those labels a bit evasive.

I'm an "analyst". I don't describe myself as such but I could easily. In fact most office desk based jobs could be analysts.

Oh your an "analyst"? See I'm just an analyst. You can make yourself a cheese and tomato sandwich and call you're a "chef". I probably wouldn't agree with you though.

I just don't get using a term that is getting more generic and it's meaning covering almost everything with every passing day, so much so that there is more than a hint of stigma becoming attached to it. I don't think that's a bad thing because I find those labels a bit evasive.

Kermit, sweetheart, people don't want to talk to you about their job. You must be great craic to chat with.

Oh your an "analyst"?

I said I was not an analyst but I could say i'm an analyst very easily. Plenty of people are doing that and I don't think it does any favours.

Just describe your job. There is NO point in saying, for example, "Analyst at AIB", "Analyst at Tesco".....it tells prospective employers and others absolutely nothing. It's evasive, lazy, intended to give an illusion of responsibility beyond what the reality is.

• Advertisement

I said I was not an analyst but I could say i'm an analyst very easily. Plenty of people are doing that and I don't think it does any favours.

Just describe your job. There is NO point in saying, for example, "Analyst at AIB", "Analyst at Tesco".....it tells prospective employers and others absolutely nothing. It's evasive, lazy, intended to give an illusion of responsibility beyond what the reality is.

Are you interviewing me or something?

Someone go over to the Ladies Lounge or, alternatively, the beauty forum and tell them there is nothing technical about doing nails. We'll wait here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

the nail technician joke went on way too long in here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Someone go over to the Ladies Lounge or, alternatively, the beauty forum and tell them there is nothing technical about doing nails. We'll wait here.

Eh I pay to get my nails done every two weeks minimum as I can't do them myself

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh I pay to get my nails done every two weeks minimum as I can't do them myself

Kermit will do them for you. He could do all the jobs he doesn't understand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

In Canada the word engineer is a protected title. People who use it outside of clearly defined roles are open to be fined.

Also certain work can only be done by engineers, and those who aren't "engineers" can be fined.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kermit will do them for you. He could do all the jobs he doesn't understand

Eh no ill opt to use the very nice staff at the salon I go to thanks

I didn't stop biting my nails and get to have nicely groomed nails at the age of 40 to let some "analyst" massacre them

eeguy wrote: »
    In Canada the word engineer is a protected title. People who use it outside of clearly defined roles are open to be fined.

Also certain work can only be done by engineers, and those who aren't "engineers" can be fined.

THIS is what's needed against the spoofers like El-Dudess :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm an analyst in the purest sense of the word, in that I have passed the exams needed to become a CFA (Certified Financial Analyst). I must admit to being annoyed when I see some graduate with a 2.1 degree from UCD and two years of work experience for AIB describe himself on a CV as a financial analyst. An analyst of what? Self-delusion? Come back to me when you've put in over 1200 hours of study over a three year period to get the only qualification that matters in our industry.

THIS is what's needed against the spoofers like El-Dudess :cool:

You've misunderstood. I haven't tried to spoof. In fact I've overtly declined to inform you about the particulars of my research. I'm enjoying your ignorance to tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

PandaPoo wrote: »
    What else can you call a nail technician?
    Surely that was obvious from the op

A nailist.

wil wrote: »
    Surely that was obvious from the op

A nailist.

Manicurist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Ninja is one ive seen lately

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pack o' ****. I had my fun, and that's all that matters.

Signed,

The CEO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

jimgoose wrote: »
    Pack o' ****. I had my fun, and that's all that matters.

Signed,

The CEO.

I once knew a Company's Entertainment Officer. They were in charge of organising puss ups. But they still signed there email as CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I once knew a Company's Entertainment Officer. They were in charge of organising puss ups. But they still signed there email as CEO.
    AKA a Premium Introduction Management Professional.
    classy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"I'm a senior partner from Corless Corless & Sweeney....Ah no we're fine for coal thanks"

If they're the social secretary and don't take job titles too seriously, signing off CEO is fairly hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I heard a guy describe himself to a large audience as a technology evangelist

You could smell the cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I'm an analyst in the purest sense of the word, in that I have passed the exams needed to become a CFA (Certified Financial Analyst). I must admit to being annoyed when I see some graduate with a 2.1 degree from UCD and two years of work experience for AIB describe himself on a CV as a financial analyst. An analyst of what? Self-delusion? Come back to me when you've put in over 1200 hours of study over a three year period to get the only qualification that matters in our industry.
    1200 hours over a 3 year period, does that include lecture time, because it really isn't an awful lot of time spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

People who are most junior in a department should be called an Administrator. But if that role is in a commercial department/company, suddenly they're a Commercial Executive. It's ridiculous.

Another empty term I can't stand is Leader or Leadership!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Stheno wrote: »
    Can't believe this thread is so long and no one has mentioned the latest IT fad for " evangelists"

One former colleague of mine has his title as cloud computing evangelist on his LinkedIn

Oh dear, that's the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I would have thought that the increasing prevalence of analyst jobs is based on the growth of the overall technology sector no?

I mean, i use analytics software which harvest raw metrics about activity on a piece of software, and then examine that data to find trends, identify problems, or otherwise use the information to make better decisions about how to develop the software..

Am I an analyst? I also produce technical specifications and plans for products and then use those plans to build the product according to the defined specification..

Am I an engineer? Am I both? Do neither of these terms describe what I do? If so, what is my job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Am I an analyst? I also produce technical specifications and plans for products and then use those plans to build the product according to the defined specification..

Am I an engineer? Am I both? Do neither of these terms describe what I do? If so, what is my job?
    You're neither, it's just a part of your over all job. Ask any designer or developer and you'll find they do the same thing. These job specs of "software engineer" just piss me off.

• Advertisement

What's the story with people who think they can demand a detailed description of the work others do? Does it help you to put them in a box or find out about their education or socioeconomic background?

Analyst tells you all you need to know. They analyse data professionally. If they wanted to go into detail, they probably would. What makes you feel entitled to more information?

Advertisement