Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You see a lost child in a shop. What would you do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Society"? Aren't you part of society? Aren't men who are depicted in this unfair way part of society?
    Is it misandrists who have created this demonisation of men when it comes to children? I thought it was people who are obsessed with paedophiles.
    Honestly? I don't feel much a part of this society any more. There's times when I feel like a second-class citizen due to my gender and others when my own beliefs are so at odds with what the majority are happy to go along with that I just shake my head and try to get on with my own life. I've neither the money, the power nor the connections to make a difference to political life in Ireland and I'd pretty certain I'd be unelectable even if I had those! ;)

It's misandrists who instigate policies about children not being allowed to be seated beside single men on aeroplanes, who hand female abusers far more lenient sentences than their male equivalents, who seem to refrain from using the word "pedophile" when it's a "love-starved" young teacher abusing a student etc.
    I don't get the "either/or" stuff on this thread - I'd just go over to the child and bring them to the customer service desk, because I'm a woman and lucky enough not to have to deal with the stigma men face. But I don't see why a man wouldn't stay in the child's vicinity and alert a staff member or female customer. It's only a supermarket.
    I'd probably look for a staff member alright but I'd refuse to play to the notion that a female shopper is more qualified/suitable to help the child than I or another male shopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd ignore them nothing to do with me
    and I've no interest dealing with hysterical parents accusing me of all sorts
    and tbh if they lost their child they are craps parents

Seriously? Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

True that, I think it's bad that there's a mistrust because of gender. TBH I'd be as worried about a female abductor as male - you hear all the stories in the news of late about women abducting babies, even going as far as tricking women and cutting babies out of their belly! The mass majority of male shoppers in a supermarket are normal as you'd think:rolleyes:, and from what I've noticed increasingly doty with them. I have some great guys help calm down my little girls shop melt downs lately!
    Roughly 2 years ago, I was pregnant with my son and my daughter was toddling, me and my mam came across a lost toddler (too young to talk) about the same age as my daughter at the time, who was upset. My Mam picked her up and I was even a bit - em, are you allowed pick them up? My mam was like, ah don't be silly shes upset I'll just bring her to the desk. You used to go missing ALL the time. We were met at the desk by the stressed out parents, and the desk girl was even looking at her like, you're holding their child?! they at first were a bit funny and then happy to have her back.
    I don't know if it's a society thing about contact now (most likely), or how we happen to look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sell it to Roma gypsies - then call the Daily Mail

Avoid at all costs.. I'd only ever intervene if a child was next to a road. Dealing with a hysterical parent who'll find the kid with a man is not how I'd want to be thanked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Ring the local priest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

He's in Dunnes, not feckin' Baltimore. Go find a staff member.

+1

Unless the kid is lost in Ireland's largest lingerie section (I understand) it won't take the parent too long to find them. By the time you intervene the parent will happen upon you and as others have said thats cool if you are a woman but if you are a man it will be frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

I would stay with the child, ring the store, explain the situation and inform them that I am bringing the kid to the customer service desk and to expect me. I would also get the name of the staff member on the other end of the phone. Therefore I'm not leaving the child in any possible danger and I'm covered should I be confronted by a screaming parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

John_D80 wrote: »
    What would you do in this situation??

Find a gay couple to adopt him/her ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

i'd probably pick it up and bring it to a staff member. if a parent accused me of any wrongdoing i would explain myself and then question their parental skills as publicly as possible before informing social services of their negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Happened to me before in a hospital, it was a few years after the James Bulger case and I was 19 at the time. The child of about 3 looked like he was just wandering the corridors on his own and I could see the stressful realisation was kicking in. I just picked him up and was going to bring him to reception when back around the corner came the mother, and the look she gave me... I knew how bad it looked then alright. She took the child and went on her way.

I'd do the same again tbh, wouldn't give a fcuk, a lost child is a lost child. Definitely a bit of an over-reaction OP with the Gardaí being called and the whole lot, but even if I knew that could happen, it's still a lot easier on my conscience than the alternative. Fair play to your friend OP, I wouldn't give a fcuk what "society" thinks in that case either. It's not society thinks anything of men with children at all, and any man that thinks that way is down to his own insecurity about himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Watch this video, at the end you see what he did with the lost child :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

"Oooh, I'm afraid of people thinking I'm a paedophile"

What a bunch of cowards. That's buying into the problem.

Kid couldn't see his mother, so I told him to take off his top and wave it in the air to catch her attention. That didn't work. He then started choking in the sweet I gave him, so had to do the Heimlich manoeuvre. Just then the mother turned up. Boy, that was a tough one to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

I drive a white van so I'm steering clear.

Attempted child abduction by man in white van in clothing dept.

Ireland has the worst white van man kidnappers, they never succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get a staff member while keeping a close eye on the kid. Wouldn't attempt to bring the kid to the help desk by myself or anything which is kind of a sad indictment in itself.

We found a lost kid before in a shopping centre but was with my wife and kid so left them with him and I got a member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Would stay clear myself. Society gets a bit hung up on men on their own being around kids, even their own ones.

Problem with keeping an eye on child in OP is that "Man lurking in Dunnes watching lost child" spreads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

John_D80 wrote: »
    But to do so you would have to leave this child unattended, possibly leaving it open to abduction/danger, as was mentioned in the original post.

Just go to the security at the exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Little Jimmy can find his own way in the world.

A good crack on the arse would do no harm either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sleepy wrote: »
    For fear of potential accusations? Or out of a lack of desire to help?

For fear of the parents reactions tbh especially if the child itself was any way upset

I'd say it to security/staff that there was a lost child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I used to work in retail and I swear if I had ever wanted to steal children, I could have had about 100 of them within a year.

Parents just leave them to wander off a lot of the time.

I know it's different because I was an employee of the shop but I would walk up to the kid and ask REALLY loudly where it's mammy was. I would then stand there with it, looking around 'frantically'. Then when the parent finally copped on, I would say in a really over exaggerated way : Ohmygod, I thought he/she was lost!'

So my advice to any men/people who want to help a lost child. Don't touch it but just stand there and make it known you are looking for the parent. Even say: 'Lost child, there's a lost child here'.

I'm a women and I would never touch a child that I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

token101 wrote: »
    Just go tell a staff member. It's not that difficult really.

No if you let the child out of your sight there's a 95% chance it will be abducted by a huge, racial minority, religious minority, terrorist paedo. Don't you pay any attention to Fox News?

You need to alert the child to their danger they're in. Once the child is hysterical you need to restrain the child but you can't touch them within 2 feet of their private bits lest you be accused of doing something inappropriate. Keep this up until the police arrive and be genuinely surprised when they don't thank you for getting so super involved.

Or you could run the risk of the child's abduction and spontaneous combustion and just alert a member of staff. The whole situation will be resolved before the child knows they're lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

If it's a cute baby or a toddler it's my baby now! I'm it's new mommy until I get tired of it and lose it in a shop. That's where babies come from!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Keep an eye on the child and when you see a member of staff you can raise your voice with "excuse me"...gesture them over and explain what's going on. One keep an eye on the little one and one can get to customer service to announce the lost child.

People get seriously hung up about being seen as a "weirdo" because the way society has gone. Sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Reminds me of a random Saturday about a year ago when myself and herself were enjoying a sunny stroll around the big park beside the house. Over in the far corner is a kids soccer match, age 10ish at a guess, 7 a side, small pitch, about 40 spectators. Anyway, from a brief passing glimpse I could see the standard was actually quite good, one kid was nutmegging lads for fun. I take a slight diversion from our walk to stop and watch the game properly.

MrsTeal straight away was at me, "what are you doing?". "Eh, watching the match. . ." I respond with a confused tone. "You can't be watching little kids, people will think you're some kind of weirdo". I was taken aback, a bit astonished and then got a bit thick with her, "don't be ridiculous". She wasn't budging and my stubbornness never really leads to good things so we were fairly quickly walking again. I again tried to air my feelings that society was properly messed up if a bloke can't stop to watch a match in a public park but she was having none of it, better to not be in a position to be accused. How messed up is that???

Anyway, in the OPs case, i'd probably approach the child saying stuff like, "where's mammy?", "are you looking for mammy?", in a high pitched voice so as to be heard a bit further away and then proceed to stand on the spot with child repeating my questions (I might throw in a "is anybody missing a child?" shout or two) while looking around for a panicked parent. Any accusations aimed at me would be met with a quick retort to "cop on!".

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

sugarman wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing, unless I continued on and seen a staff member to alert them.

Far too many cases of people being accused of all sorts these days.

And later on the news you hear that the child was taken from the store by a stranger, sexually assaulted and murdered.

Well done.

As for me....I'd call out for the parents. Not only will this likely find them, but also alert everyone nearby to the fact that I'm trying to help. If there was no staff nearby, I would call the police to report the lost child. Then...and only then, would I bring the child to the Customer Service area in the store.
    I'd happily endure accusations so long as I could prove I was trying to help (calling the police), and the child ended up safely back with the parents.

I should note that this fear/paranoia is pretty much a western thing. I live in The Philippines and I know that everyone here would not only help the child, but would even bring them out of the store to the nearest police officer or station if needed. And the parents would be nothing but grateful in return. The people here know that 99.5% of people are decent and wouldn't want to harm the child. But in western countries, everyone seems to be under the impression that 'all males are potential child abusers and shouldn't even look in a childs direction'.

theteal wrote: »
    Anyway, in the OPs case, i'd probably approach the child saying stuff like, "where's mammy?", "are you looking for mammy?", in a high pitched voice so as to be heard a bit further away

Louder voice = heard further away

High pitched voice = could seem weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ex hotel employee here and kids can find places that even staff don't know exist. The emergency exit corridor under the stairs was a favourite place for hide n go seek.

Just take their hand and bring to reception. Parents are possibly drinking in the bar......

It easy when you are staff . If I was a random guy in a shop I'd make a phonecall or find a staff member

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd ignore them nothing to do with me
    and I've no interest dealing with hysterical parents accusing me of all sorts
    and tbh if they lost their child they are craps parents

Lol! Pretty much every child in the country loses their parents at some point. Does that make them crap parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Louder voice = heard further away

High pitched voice = could seem weird

This is true but you don't want to scare the child and further by shouting. I'd probably go with a mix of both. Not a chance the OPs friend had the time to consider that though.

Advertisement