Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Interesting to see the independent Alliance have said they would be willing to talk to a party if there is a hung Dail. if 2 ministerial seats come available, i wouldn't be surprised to see Shane Ross take one and with Halligan been his second commander could you see him taking social protection? be very interesting to see a "leftie" in a position like that. defo get my vote again on that basis. when i look at the 4 TD's in this term he has been the stand out one for me.
    Cullinane has alot of blisters on his arse from sitting on fence. his Facebook...... he writes complete bollox with popularist status yet they don't tow the line with SF policy. He isn't been helped by John Hearne who was recently summoned to SF HQ and warned about his behaviour while Pat Fitz challenged Cullinane for the nomination for the GE as Fitz doesn't see eye to eye with Cullinane.
    To me Cullinane is defo not a cert to take a seat. In the last local elections SF polled 7059 votes, if you consider the 25% personal vote factor in terms of a GE, Cullinane would poll 5294 when in 2011 GE he polled 5342. to me they haven't gained anything in Waterford from 2011 GE to 2014 LE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    Interesting to see the independent Alliance have said they would be willing to talk to a party if there is a hung Dail. if 2 ministerial seats come available, i wouldn't be surprised to see Shane Ross take one and with Halligan been his second commander could you see him taking social protection? be very interesting to see a "leftie" in a position like that. defo get my vote again on that basis. when i look at the 4 TD's in this term he has been the stand out one for me.
    Cullinane has alot of blisters on his arse from sitting on fence. his Facebook...... he writes complete bollox with popularist status yet they don't tow the line with SF policy. He isn't been helped by John Hearne who was recently summoned to SF HQ and warned about his behaviour while Pat Fitz challenged Cullinane for the nomination for the GE as Fitz doesn't see eye to eye with Cullinane.
    To me Cullinane is defo not a cert to take a seat. In the last local elections SF polled 7059 votes, if you consider the 25% personal vote factor in terms of a GE, Cullinane would poll 5294 when in 2011 GE he polled 5342. to me they haven't gained anything in Waterford from 2011 GE to 2014 LE.

I would say that there is little or no chance of an independent getting a post such as Social Protection. I should also add that these independents and others forming alliances before being elected is quite presumptuous as none of them know if they'll be elected or not.

I doubt that there will be a hung Dail. Support for the Government parties has surged in the last 3 months. I fully expect this to continue over the next 12 months before GE 2016. Joan Burton is apparently the most popular leader.

Party support levels can be difficult to measure in terms of seats. In the last election for example Labour had 19.4% of the vote and had 37 seats, while FF had 17.4% of the vote and got only 20 seats. While the support for independents as a whole is high, nobody knows how this will translate into elected TDs - I would suspect it would be a very fractured vote.

As I've been saying for quite some time, I fully expect it to be FG and Labour again, with any shortfall being made up by a group of 'moderate' independents, probably of FG's choosing. Renua or others might come into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

from reading of latest opinion polls and local polls in her contingency it is looking like Joan is in a bit of bother to get re-elected. wouldn't it be great to see that smug bitch gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gardner wrote: »
    from reading of latest opinion polls and local polls in her contingency it is looking like Joan is in a bit of bother to get re-elected. wouldn't it be great to see that smug bitch gone

That reads like you have a problem with the her being a woman. I would leave out terms like 'bitch' if you want to avoid this. You could replace it with any other non gender specific terms. To be fair, you prob didnt mean it like that.

I think people are away with the fairies if they think John Halligan is going to have any influence in next govt, FG are on course to be biggest party, they are not going to do deals with a mismatched gang of independents even if they form some loose group, when they can already work with Labour. If they need more TD's they will look to those who have recently left the FG 'gene pool' so there is a few independents that have left FG and possibly renua. I admire Halligan but Independents will continue to be powerless.
    In my opinion, as it stands Waterford would be better off voting for the party that they think will be in power, would like to see in power, try to get some influence in the next govt is key. The renua candidate is apparently the lady who runs the Atheneum hotel over on the north side so she might actually have something between her ears considering she runs her own business etc etc. If FF run a good candidate such as Mulligan (again somebody who runs their own businesses etc) or maybe put some faith in that young FF potential candidate, one for the future etc etc? Of course, i still hold a grudge against FF for laying the foundations of our recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Max Powers wrote: »
    In my opinion, as it stands Waterford would be better off voting for the party that they think will be in power

We tried that last time and some are trying to applaud a new fire station as one of the great government achievements for Ireland's oldest city. While positive, it doesn't match the positive news handed out to Ireland's other cities who have more favour in the right circles it would seem.

WUH, University, VEC, and most blatantly, the downgrading of the city's status. That's the one that will be on the end of my voting pencil. We're being encouraged now to accept our fate as a core part of the SE region. That to me is an unfortunate symptom of the policies which have nailed Waterford to the floor. The city was strong enough to stand as the focal point of the region anyway. The tables were turned. We're now relying on the region.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

We tried that last time and some are trying to applaud a new fire station as one of the great government achievements for Ireland's oldest city. While positive, it doesn't match the positive news handed out to Ireland's other cities who have more favour in the right circles it would seem.

WUH, University, VEC, and most blatantly, the downgrading of the city's status. That's the one that will be on the end of my voting pencil. We're being encouraged now to accept our fate as a core part of the SE region. That to me is an unfortunate symptom of the policies which have nailed Waterford to the floor. The city was strong enough to stand as the focal point of the region anyway. The tables were turned. We're now relying on the region.

Do not misrepresent what I said, a question was asked and I answered, nothing more nothing less, I have been consistent in my criticism of this Government and there despicable contempt for Waterford, the context of this recent hypothetical conversation has been what is best strategy for Waterford to vote in the next GE.
    Read the thread before you make bald statements.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Do not misrepresent what I said, a question was asked and I answered, nothing more nothing less, I have been consistent in my criticism of this Government and there despicable contempt for Waterford, the context of this recent hypothetical conversation has been what is best strategy for Waterford to vote in the next GE.

It would be extremely helpful if Waterford got a Minister. Paudie Coffey would be the most likely potential minister from Waterford if returned in GE2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

hardybuck wrote: »
    It would be extremely helpful if Waterford got a Minister. Paudie Coffey would be the most likely potential minister from Waterford if returned in GE2016.

Paudie (I'd like to welcome that) Coffey, has as much chance of getting a ministry as the metal man doing a jig!! I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see any potential ministerial candidates from Waterford. Fine Gael are a certainty in my view to lead the next government, but I couldn't vote for a party that has gone out of its way to downgrade this city!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

The problem is Deasy is a dead cert so if we want to punish FG then it can only be by punishing Coffey. If Waterford vote 2 FG then we are the ultimate cheap date. FG will have nothing to lose by ****ing us over again because they know they definitely won't win a third term. Labour is ****ed nationally and anyway Ciara Conway is worse than useless. The governments recovery is far from certain as the last Red C poll basically assumed the don't knows would vote in the same proportions for the government as the last election which is pure bolloxology. Also it looks like labour is transfer toxic. This government won't be returned without independents that is a fact! They might even need FF and Independents. Next year we will have a once in a life time opportunity not to look like political illiterates. And that is exactly what we will look like if we return Paudie Coffey and Ciara Conway. With one caveat. WIT on its own being upgraded immediately and an influx of a at least 700 high quality jobs in the city.If you think they will deliver this after you vote for them then I have some magic beans for sale you might be interested in......

The problem is Deasy is a dead cert so if we want to punish FG then it can only be by punishing Coffey. If Waterford vote 2 FG then we are the ultimate cheap date. FG will have nothing to lose by ****ing us over again because they know they definitely won't win a third term. Labour is ****ed nationally and anyway Ciara Conway is worse than useless. The governments recovery is far from certain as the last Red C poll basically assumed the don't knows would vote in the same proportions for the government as the last election which is pure bolloxology. Also it looks like labour is transfer toxic. This government won't be returned without independents that is a fact! They might even need FF and Independents. Next year we will have a once in a life time opportunity not to look like political illiterates. And that is exactly what we will look like if we return Paudie Coffey and Ciara Conway. With one caveat. WIT on its own being upgraded immediately and an influx of a at least 700 high quality jobs in the city.If you think they will deliver this after you vote for them then I have some magic beans for sale you might be interested in......

You realise that Coffey is currently a Minister for State? Considering that he's only in his first term that would be considered quite good progress.

I would consider a wager that the next Government will not include independents. If they do they will be handpicked by FG.

The support for Government parties will be fueled by the economic growth which will take place in the next 12 months. We've the fastest growing economy in Europe again, and there will be some room for manoeuvre in the next budget that will result put extra money in people's pockets.

We need to keep the show on the road. It's credit to everyone that we didn't end up like Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Sorry I was certainly not referring to you in particular. Ive seen your pretty balanced approach in the thread. I'm talking about people I know who are FG supporters, people on social media who are FG supporters but don't tell anyone that etc. I specifically mean those who say... What do you mean we get no support.. We got a fire station! I wouldn't include you in that to be fair.

You realise that Coffey is currently a Minister for State? Considering that he's only in his first term that would be considered quite good progress.

I would consider a wager that the next Government will not include independents. If they do they will be handpicked by FG.

The support for Government parties will be fueled by the economic growth which will take place in the next 12 months. We've the fastest growing economy in Europe again, and there will be some room for manoeuvre in the next budget that will result put extra money in people's pockets.

We need to keep the show on the road. It's credit to everyone that we didn't end up like Greece.

With respect but this is just the politics of fear. The only difference between the economy now and during the bubble period is that the bubble is not as big. The current economic improvement is down the high growth in the American and UK markets which we benefit from because of the high levels of FDI. This has nothing to do with government policy! There is not one single measure you can point to from the government that has any causal link! Spending is still highly monitored by the troika and where the government has had independence they have behaved the exact same way as Fianna Fail during the bubble. Corruption metrics have gotten worse since this government took office. There are many who think that we are in another bubble now and if this is the case then we are just as much at risk as we were in 2008! The real Irish economy is still hugely undeveloped.Its pure dumb luck and nothing else that we are not like Greece. As for Paudie Coffey he is a Minister for State because FG knew he was a dead duck! If they think his seat is safe he will be more than likely back on the back benches.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2015/02/25/the-coming-financial-bubble-why-it-may-be-the-worst-of-all-part-ii/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Dont think it will happen because , Waterford is divvied up safe ....FF AND FG know Waterford will vote them in no matter what....so our thanks is indifference.
    Voted independents last time and was very dissapointed more in Waterford didnt do the same. The only way politicians take heed is if they feel the seats in doubt.
    I suppose we get what we deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    Dont think it will happen because , Waterford is divvied up safe ....FF AND FG know Waterford will vote them in no matter what....so our thanks is indifference.
    Voted independents last time and was very dissapointed more in Waterford didnt do the same. The only way politicians take heed is if they feel the seats in doubt.
    I suppose we get what we deserve

16% voted independent last time, a big poll in fairness from a constituency with little history of voting against the main parties. Well above the national average id imagine.

16% voted independent last time, a big poll in fairness from a constituency with little history of voting against the main parties. Well above the national average id imagine.

There is also a huge misconception that a cabinet minister is required "to get things done!". This would be the case in a more stable political environment. However the political landscape now resembles the period of the famous or infamous Gregory deal of the 80's. In that situation it he negotiated a 100 mil investment in his constituency in 1982. Possibly equivalent to 350 million at least in today's terms. Puts a fire station into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

There is also a huge misconception that a cabinet minister is required "to get things done!". This would be the case in a more stable political environment. However the political landscape now resembles the period of the famous or infamous Gregory deal of the 80's. In that situation it he negotiated a 100 mil investment in his constituency in 1982. Possibly equivalent to 350 million at least in today's terms. Puts a fire station into perspective.

Precisely Fuzzy. As I said earlier, when we start getting excited over a sewage plant that in itself has to set off alarm bells.

On a different front does anyone have an opinion on the age for the President referendum. It seems to be the least cared about constitutional change I ever remember.

On a different front does anyone have an opinion on the age for the President referendum. It seems to be the least cared about constitutional change I ever remember.

Absolutely waste of time and money.

Absolutely waste of time and money.

I agree, was this a solo run by Enda? I don't know of any demand from the public for it .personally I will vote no as I don't want some snot nose kid as our President.

I agree, was this a solo run by Enda? I don't know of any demand from the public for it .personally I will vote no as I don't want some snot nose kid as our President.

The marriage referendum was pushed for by Labour. Probably had to stick something with it to justify it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

So driving away i afforded myself a hypocritical smile as i thought to myself
    not one of these leeches ever worked a day in their lives,oh Michael Noonan how right you were!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95400555&postcount=142

I thought it would be better to reply to this post in the local politics thread, rather then reply and drag the water charge thread off topic.

The thing about people out of work there are many different reasons, some may have lost their jobs, and some may have difficulty getting a job, a person I know had trouble finding work before in the past because of being from and living in a certain area, the person rang up and enquired about jobs advertised in the local papers, a few times when the employer asked where the person lived etc, once hearing from that certain area the employer make the excuse the positions have being filled we keep you on file etc, then upon never hearing anything back , I don,t think it is anyones fault that they were from or raised in a certain area of town - I wouldn,t agree tarring everyone with the one brush which is the treatment someone I know has received in the past.

S.O wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95400555&postcount=142

I thought it would be better to reply to this post in the local politics thread, rather then reply and drag the water charge thread off topic.

The thing about people out of work there are many different reasons, some may have lost their jobs, and some may have difficulty getting a job, a person I know had trouble finding work before in the past because of being from and living in a certain area, the person rang up and enquired about jobs advertised in the local papers, a few times when the employer asked where the person lived etc, once hearing from that certain area the employer make the excuse the positions have being filled we keep you on file etc, then upon never hearing anything back , I don,t think it is anyones fault that they were from or raised in a certain area of town - I wouldn,t agree tarring everyone with the one brush which is the treatment someone I know has received in the past.

Could not argue with an iota of your post, but it does not mean that there are not serial unemployed. There are, I know quite a few, some are totally dysfunctional through drink drugs mental issues, some have made a lifestyle choice, some need the cover of social welfare to carry on their black activities, for people to deny the existence of this part of our society on the idealistic grounds of socialism or some other ****e is just stupid.

Could not argue with an iota of your post, but it does not mean that there are not serial unemployed. There are, I know quite a few, some are totally dysfunctional through drink drugs mental issues, some have made a lifestyle choice, some need the cover of social welfare to carry on their black activities, for people to deny the existence of this part of our society on the idealistic grounds of socialism or some other ****e is just stupid.

I know there is a small per % out there that have drink or drug problems that don,t want to work, no argument from me there about that one, whenever someone brings up the topic of people long term out of work/unemployed I always think its important to distinguish between those who want to work but find it hard to get work because lack of skills or because some employers stigmatise if you re from a certain area vs those in the category of those who don,t want to work.

On another note did anyone spot the no campaigners in John Roberts square this afternoon ? I took a leaflet off them, sound arguments on it for reasons to vote no.

On another note did anyone spot the no campaigners in John Roberts square this afternoon ? I took a leaflet off them, sound arguments on it for reasons to vote no.

You think ? Are you serious or being disingenuous? That leaflet contains innuendo assertions but definitely no facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

You think ? Are you serious or being disingenuous? That leaflet contains innuendo assertions but definitely no facts.

my exact thoughts.... terrible piece of literature...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

We live in a democracy. All sides must be heard.

7upfree wrote: »
    We live in a democracy. All sides must be heard.

Totally agree but if the king has no clothes , I for one will not keep my mouth shut.

Are you sure there are no facts there? Seems you're a bit skimpily clad yourself.Proverbially speaking of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Quick glance at leaflet and its a rehash of their usual disingenuous to down right lies about surrogacy, adoption etc etc.

The ref has nothing to do with surrogacy, If a surrogate arrangement is in place here, it has no legal basis, the mother who gave birth will be the mother on the cert and if a couple want to adopt they need to go thru the procedures. Most surrogate arrangements across the globe involve hetero couples, not evil gay people like Elton John the Iona would have you believe. (I dont think Elton John is evil, you know what i mean)
    This ref has nothing to do with adoption either and its passing or not will not affect anyones including gay couple right to adopt. The law doesnt discriminate now and it wont change (on adoption) be it YES or NO.

Iona (Mothers and babies group et al) have consistently avoided the core of the referendum...EQUALITY and consistently brought in hardly connected topics and scaremongering people into thinking if this passes that society will collapse. IOna/church had the same 'end of society' rhetoric when the divorce ref was happening, when civil partnership ref was on etc, both passed and it has no negative consequences.

on a differnt note, it must be very hard growing up gay especially in this country, a no vote would send a terrible message to youth and message about what type of society we have. Gay people dont have equality becasue they cant marry like the rest of us. I have kids, nephews and nieces who could be gay, i dont want them to grow up in secrecy, like they are holding a dark secret, more prone to depression, suicide etc. On a diffferent note again, if the church/Iona dedicated as much time to getting their own house in order (Paedophile priests, covering up, lying, etc etc) they would garner a lot more respect from me and most others rather than trying to discriminate the gay population from society.

Advertisement