Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

First Up wrote: »
    The post described the people concerned as having picnics. I doubt very much that anyone just eating a sandwich was affected.

I think "picnic" is a fairly lose term. I've never seen anyone take out a matt/table cloth, put it on the floor and spread out a load of plates, cutlery, tubberware boxes of salads etc etc. I think most people have a cooler box under the table they are sitting at and dip in and out of it for sambo's, cold meats, cheese etc as they snack away a few hours whilst buying drinks from the bar.

That's what we do and I can't ever see any muscle head having a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BenEadir wrote: »
    I think "picnic" is a fairly lose term. I've never seen anyone take out a matt/table cloth, put it on the floor and spread out a load of plates, cutlery, tubberware boxes of salads etc etc. I think most people have a cooler box under the table they are sitting at and dip in and out of it for sambo's, cold meats, cheese etc as they snack away a few hours whilst buying drinks from the bar.

That's what we do and I can't ever see any muscle head having a problem with that.

The incident as described was of people having picnics and not buying anything from the bar. They were asked to move by a man in uniform - not a "muscle head".

The incident as described was of people having picnics and not buying anything from the bar. They were asked to move by a man in uniform - not a "muscle head".

The picture painted by the poster was of a "big man in uniform" :P

aa9isn.jpg

In fairness if people are going to do the full spread out picnic thing with a bottle of wine etc and not buy anything from the bar I'd call that bad form as they are taking up seats from people who would like to use the bar to buy drinks etc but then again if they are paying passengers who for whatever reason haven't got a cabin (if they're not going to pay for drinks are they likely to have splashed on a cabin?) where are they supposed to sit to eat their picnic? If the front bar and rear lounge are out of bounds for them and presumably they can't use the piano bar or any of the restaurants without actually buying something in them there aren't a lot of places left for them to congregate. There's a few seats along the main corridor but if they are already full (and they are always popular) what are they supposed to do?

It won't ever affect me as I enjoy having a few drinks in the bar and the only reason we don't eat on board the OW is the poor quality of the food but even if we did eat on board we'd probably always have a few snacks etc on hand in the bar for the kids as it's a long journey and the availability of snacks in the bar and shop on board is pretty limited.

The picture painted by the poster was of a "big man in uniform" :P

aa9isn.jpg

In fairness if people are going to do the full spread out picnic thing with a bottle of wine etc and not buy anything from the bar I'd call that bad form as they are taking up seats from people who would like to use the bar to buy drinks etc but then again if they are paying passengers who for whatever reason haven't got a cabin (if they're not going to pay for drinks are they likely to have splashed on a cabin?) where are they supposed to sit to eat their picnic? If the front bar and rear lounge are out of bounds for them and presumably they can't use the piano bar or any of the restaurants without actually buying something in them there aren't a lot of places left for them to congregate. There's a few seats along the main corridor but if they are already full (and they are always popular) what are they supposed to do?

It won't ever affect me as I enjoy having a few drinks in the bar and the only reason we don't eat on board the OW is the poor quality of the food but even if we did eat on board we'd probably always have a few snacks etc on hand in the bar for the kids as it's a long journey and the availability of snacks in the bar and shop on board is pretty limited.
    I haven't seen anyone post here who does not have a cabin and I can't imagine many families travelling without one. On the OW all passengers must have either a cabin or a sleeper seat, so nobody is "homeless" and without their own space.
    And a man in uniform does not equate to "muscle man" and the inference that people were being physically intimidated is totally unjustified.

I haven't seen anyone post here who does not have a cabin and I can't imagine many families travelling without one. On the OW all passengers must have either a cabin or a sleeper seat, so nobody is "homeless" and without their own space.
    And a man in uniform does not equate to "muscle man" and the inference that people were being physically intimidated is totally unjustified.

Relax the kacks there FU, the poster specifially said "a big man in uniform" so he was indeed implying some form of physical intimidation.

I do agree that most will have a cabin but by definition, given the fact there are a limited number of cabins and sleeper seats provided for those without cabins, not all will have a cabin. Are you suggesting you'd prefer a family to take out their picnic in the "sleeper" area and proceed to stink it up with egg sandwiches, cheese and kids filling themselves with sugary drinks? Would that not be more invasive to other passengers than sitting in an already noisy bar?

• Advertisement

Relax the kacks there FU, the poster specifially said "a big man in uniform" so he was indeed implying some form of physical intimidation.

I do agree that most will have a cabin but by definition, given the fact there are a limited number of cabins and sleeper seats provided for those without cabins, not all will have a cabin. Are you suggesting you'd prefer a family to take out their picnic in the "sleeper" area and proceed to stink it up with egg sandwiches, cheese and kids filling themselves with sugary drinks? Would that not be more invasive to other passengers than sitting in an already noisy bar?

From "man in uniform" (whatever size) to "muscle head" is a pejorative leap.

On IF, all passengers must book either a cabin or a sleeper seat. Whatever their circumstances of choice, they have a responsibility to behave in a way that doesn't discomfort or disturb others and that includes how and where they eat. If they want to use the bar as their dining room, the least they should do is buy something - and ensure their kids behave (which they are less likely to do if filled with sugary drinks but that's another debate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think we are getting away from the point of this thread, "Ferry deals to France"

Food wise, as long as you're not taking the piss entirely, and flaunting your food spread in the bar staff's face, while not buying as much as a Coke, you'll be fine.

Now, who's booked this week, and what kind of price did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Oh dear, how did we go from bringing and eating your own food on board to having major picnics and filling the children up with fizzy drinks!
    It is my experience the 'children' (normally young French teenagers don't need fizzy drinks to disturb you on board - I have experienced them running around, both outside and inside the ship public areas and adjacent to cabins!)

When I travel on a long train journey I bring a sandwich, when I go on an 18+ hour sea journey I bring something a bit more substantial - And I have seen one couple laying out a table cloth btw, but only in the seats adjacent to the restaurants - not in the actual bars, or cafes, or other eateries. A lot of people do it, and it is perfectly acceptable imo, especially when the food onboard ranges from gloop that is over priced to okay that is overpriced.

Edit to add: Agree we're getting off topic but it's good to hear other peoples experiences of the trip - I'm heading over in the spring - no Ferry deals just cheaper to go at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I think we are getting away from the point of this thread, "Ferry deals to France"

Food wise, as long as you're not taking the piss entirely, and flaunting your food spread in the bar staff's face, while not buying as much as a Coke, you'll be fine.

Now, who's booked this week, and what kind of price did you get?

I didnt book this week, but paid 968 for Cork to Roscoff on the Pont Aven with Brittany ferries leaving at the end of july. it was an increase of nearly 200 on last years prices, but on the flipside, the campsite was reduced by almost the same amount, all in all, this years holiday is only costing me about €70 more than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Has anyone here booked Irish Ferries from Dublin? Or travelled on the route last year?
    How did you find it? Do many folk from Norn Iron use it?
    Everyone seems to be Wexford bound, and to a lesser degree, Cork. Cork is a good bit further from Cavan for us, but Dublin would be only half the driving. 75 miles, as opposed to 150 to Wexford.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here booked Irish Ferries from Dublin? Or travelled on the route last year?
    Everyone seems to be Wexford bound, and to a lesser degree, Cork. Cork is a good bit further from Cavan for us, but Dublin would be only half the driving. 75 miles, as opposed to 150 to Wexford.

I'd tell anyone who's looking at booking a ferry trip to work out how much its going to cost to go from your front door at home, to the campsite itself. Then compare the time its going to take on the road, then try and measure what your own personal time and comfort is worth.

for example, I always go with brittany ferries, its not the cheapest for me, nor does it land me in the closest starting point in france for where I want to go, but I'd rather spend an extra hour on the motorway in france, than spend 3 hours driving to rosslare.

I got Rosslare - Cherbourg return with Stena going out mid July back end of July for just under €750. That's for a 4X4 with roofbox and bike rack etc and a 4 berth outside cabin for 2 adults and 2 kids but I was lucky enough to use the ploughing championship discount which knocked €180 off the original price - enough to join First Up for a slap up dinner in the Berneval on the way over if only we were on the OW. I'm sure he won't miss me though. :P

I was interested in trying Brittany Ferries from Cork as it's actually not that much more travelling time (and better roads) Vs Rosslare from South Dublin but they were more expensive and only sail out on a Saturday and return on a Sunday which didn't suit as our campsite has a Saturday to Saturday rotation. We're travelling out on a Thursday with Stena, staying in a hotel in Nante on the Friday and will have plenty of time Saturday morning to drive to Jean de Monts, have a nice relaxing lunch in Moulerie Frigate (no bringing our own sambos to this wonderful establishment http://www.la-fregate.sitew.com/Nous_trouver_Nous_contacter.C.htm#Qui_sommes_nous_.A) after which we'll do a quick supermarket shop and check into the camp site.

Only 170 odd days to go :D

The ferry from Dublin is of similar design to the one used by Stena, so a bit smaller than the Oscar Wilde or Pont Aven. Although IF describe it as their "economy" option, somebody here found that it was more expensive than the Oscar Wilde on the dates they wanted so it is all down to individual preferences and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not a 'Ferry Deal' per se, but I just got 50% off booking my campsiter through Eorocamp using the code 15ICHILD02 found here: http://www.ichild.co.uk/p/eurocamp-40-holiday-offer-2015

I know a lot of you guys use different camping operators, but I'm a newbie to family holidays and the Eurocamp seemed to fit the bill.

I rang them and booked, not entirely sure if it can be used on website; the offer site is aimed at UK, but works for Irish office as well
    (which strangely seems to have lowere prices to UK version )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I got Rosslare - Cherbourg return with Stena going out mid July back end of July for just under €750. That's for a 4X4 with roofbox and bike rack etc and a 4 berth outside cabin for 2 adults and 2 kids but I was lucky enough to use the ploughing championship discount which knocked €180 off the original price - enough to join First Up for a slap up dinner in the Berneval on the way over if only we were on the OW. I'm sure he won't miss me though. :P

I was interested in trying Brittany Ferries from Cork as it's actually not that much more travelling time (and better roads) Vs Rosslare from South Dublin but they were more expensive and only sail out on a Saturday and return on a Sunday which didn't suit as our campsite has a Saturday to Saturday rotation. We're travelling out on a Thursday with Stena, staying in a hotel in Nante on the Friday and will have plenty of time Saturday morning to drive to Jean de Monts, have a nice relaxing lunch in Moulerie Frigate (no bringing our own sambos to this wonderful establishment http://www.la-fregate.sitew.com/Nous_trouver_Nous_contacter.C.htm#Qui_sommes_nous_.A) after which we'll do a quick supermarket shop and check into the camp site.

Those Les Moules look really tasty and that créme brulée.....

tony1980 wrote: »

It's a deadly spot, even though it's bang on the sea front it's very old style French which we absolutely love. A really super place for lunch particularly on one of those days where the weather isn't so good. You can relax there for a few hours, have some Moules, a bottle of wine, maybe a nice country style beer followed by a tasty dessert and a coffee. Absolute heaven and not a rip off either. We usually get lunch for the four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) for about €60 including wine and beer etc.

You reminded me of another reason we don't use BF very much. The Sunday arrival in France - and Friday departure - doesn't fit well with most Gites as they also run Saturday-Saturday. The IF sailing to Roscoff doesn't always fit either but there is more flexibility than with the BF once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

http://www.stenaline.ie/hwdublin - got this over on the Camping and Motorhomes forum. Supposedly only good till 11PM tomorrow.

http://www.stenaline.ie/hwdublin - got this over on the Camping and Motorhomes forum. Supposedly only good till 11PM tomorrow.

Thanks for posting Paddy.

My read on the fact Rosslare to Cherbourg is the only route being discounted by 15% instead of the full 20% is that they are confident of enough demand to not have to discount the route much. The Holiday World discount may have been planned months ago so they are committed to it albeit they've reduced it to 15%.

If I hadn't already booked with Stena I'd be taking advantage of this, I personally don't think a discount in excess of 15% will be available again for summer travel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks for posting Paddy.

My read on the fact Rosslare to Cherbourg is the only route being discounted by 15% instead of the full 20% is that they are confident of enough demand to not have to discount the route much. The Holiday World discount may have been planned months ago so they are committed to it albeit they've reduced it to 15%.

If I hadn't already booked with Stena I'd be taking advantage of this, I personally don't think a discount in excess of 15% will be available again for summer travel this year.
    Ben,
    it would be interesting for you to go on the website again and see how much it costs with 15% discount compared to what you paid when you booked and see if it is genuinely cheaper?

• Advertisement

tony1980 wrote: »

you thinking of heading over tony?

Bif wrote: »
    Ben,
    it would be interesting for you to go on the website again and see how much it costs with 15% discount compared to what you paid when you booked and see if it is genuinely cheaper?

Just for you Bif!!

My original itinerary with the Ploughing Championship 25% discount ended up costing me €748. Exact same sailings, exact same car and exact same cabins out and back with the Holiday World 15" discount code is costing €919.

With my actual booking the "normal" price before the Ploughing Championship discount was coming in at €929. They then applied the 25% discount (which only applies to the sailing not the cabins) to leave the final price at €748.

Looks like the Holiday World discount is a case of them upping the "normal" price by 15% in order to discount it back down again by 15%. (I know that's not technically correct but I can't be ar$sed working out the correct mark-up number).

Bottom line is relative to the booking I made in September the Holiday World 15% discount actually works out at an equivalent 1% discount :(

Slight correction: I just checked on the normal Stena website and the current "normal" price for the standard booking (same dates, cabins etc) is now €1,039 Vs the "normal" price of €929 back in September.

I guess they push the prices up as the ship fills up and they are confident there will be enough demand to pay the higher prices but then again they might have just pushed up the normal prices for a few days to give the impression that the Holiday World 15% discount is a good deal.

Ya couldn't be up to their tricks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Just for you Bif!!

My original itinerary with the Ploughing Championship 25% discount ended up costing me €748. Exact same sailings, exact same car and exact same cabins out and back with the Holiday World 15" discount code is costing €919.

With my actual booking the "normal" price before the Ploughing Championship discount was coming in at €929. They then applied the 25% discount (which only applies to the sailing not the cabins) to leave the final price at €748.

Looks like the Holiday World discount is a case of them upping the "normal" price by 15% in order to discount it back down again by 15%. (I know that's not technically correct but I can't be ar$sed working out the correct mark-up number).

Bottom line is relative to the booking I made in September the Holiday World 15% discount actually works out at an equivalent 1% discount :(

Slight correction: I just checked on the normal Stena website and the current "normal" price for the standard booking (same dates, cabins etc) is now €1,039 Vs the "normal" price of €929 back in September.

I guess they push the prices up as the ship fills up and they are confident there will be enough demand to pay the higher prices but then again they might have just pushed up the normal prices for a few days to give the impression that the Holiday World 15% discount is a good deal.

Ya couldn't be up to their tricks!!!

Cheers Ben...appreciate the effort. It confirms my hunch that it is still best to book as early as possible with whatever discount you can get (obviously if you are sure of your dates). Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I recorded the prices for the end of June/start of July a couple of weeks back, so I went back in last night to see how the 15% discount stacked up.

Many of the prices were the same as they were at the start of the month *before discount*. Once they applied the 15% the net cost was indeed lower. There were a few prices which had gone up by €10 or €20 (reasonable, given increasing demand for peak times) since I last checked, but again, once the 15% was applied it was cheaper to book last night than it was at the start of the year.

In short, the 15% looks genuine and prices haven't been raised prior to the sale. A good old fashioned discount that you can trust.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    I recorded the prices for the end of June/start of July a couple of weeks back, so I went back in last night to see how the 15% discount stacked up.

Many of the prices were the same as they were at the start of the month *before discount*. Once they applied the 15% the net cost was indeed lower. There were a few prices which had gone up by €10 or €20 (reasonable, given increasing demand for peak times) since I last checked, but again, once the 15% was applied it was cheaper to book last night than it was at the start of the year.

In short, the 15% looks genuine and prices haven't been raised prior to the sale. A good old fashioned discount that you can trust.

z

That's good to hear. I guess a lot depends on the demand for the exact dates you're interested in. If they are peak peak dates which are already well booked the prices may well have increased over the last few months whereas if they are off peak the normal price may not have changed much. In either case the discount is off the prevailing "normal" price.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I'm booking Roscoff to Cork, there aren't any discounts for Brittany Ferries are there?

poochiem wrote: »
    I'm booking Roscoff to Cork, there aren't any discounts for Brittany Ferries are there?

some campsites (siblu, and maybe others) will give you a discount on the ferry. I dont think theres any traditional discount codes as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭webpal

I just happened to notice on IF's website that their vouchers are now only worth 3 times their value for Irish Ferries. When did they sneak that change?

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/offers/tesco-deal-tokens1/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭webpal

actually scratch that, my work pc is defaulting to UK site which is in sterling. Its still 4 times for euro paying people. I withdraw my sneaky remark!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

webpal wrote: »
    I just happened to notice on IF's website that their vouchers are now only worth 3 times their value for Irish Ferries. When did they sneak that change?

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/offers/tesco-deal-tokens1/
    The last time myself and herself used club card vouchers we found that the full price had to be paid for the ferry before the Tesco discount was applied.
    As it turned out, booking normally received pretty much the same discounts (if not better) that she felt her club card points were wasted!

Advertisement