Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Parade in Dublin on Tuesday, 17th March

Options
  • 15-03-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I am travelling to Dublin from Athlone for 1 day for St. Patrick's Parade on 17th March. Any tips what will be the must visit location in Dublin to witness it.

Cheers,
    Rahul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

top of parnell square by the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I'll be goin to this for the first time - Coming in on luas to St Stephens Green.

What would be the best way to go see some of the parades (short time) but then go somewhere for a few jars and craic agus ceol?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Get out of the city center before about 3 or 4pm, its gets very messy and can get very nasty after that.

Go to Ranelagh or some decent suburb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

top of parnell square by the church.

Why? City should be quiter,as wed is work

voxpop wrote: »
    Why? City should be quiter,as wed is work

It starts up that end...makes it go faster :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 keysersoze1

What time does it start at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

What time does it start at

If you start drinking now and have a good breakfast it'll be over in time for the rioting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Bandara wrote: »
    Get out of the city center before about 3 or 4pm, its gets very messy and can get very nasty after that.

Go to Ranelagh or some decent suburb

Harmless messy after about 8ish .........

Nasty? After 10ish maybe but no more so than your average Saturday night.

Based on years of experience enjoying St. Patrick's Day in the City Centre ..........

I've a great view of the parade.....

On my telly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I've a great view of the parade.....
    On my telly :)

that analog town/digicity thing was absolute ****.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe paddys night as nasty, but its deff not the same as your average saturday :eek:

Tonight shouldn't be that bad though, considering most people are in work tomorrow.

My Saturday nights out must be (on average) better than yours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I work on the door of a bar/club in the Templebar area, and Paddy's day is pure nasty. Its the worse day of the year to work (and I'm working the doors over twenty years now).

Its a horrible, scummy, nasty day.

I work on the door of a bar/club in the Templebar area, and Paddy's day is pure nasty. Its the worse day of the year to work (and I'm working the doors over twenty years now).

Its a horrible, scummy, nasty day.

Isn't every day "a horrible, scummy, nasty day" for bouncers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »

Tonight shouldn't be that bad though, considering most people are in work tomorrow.

It may be a generalisation but from trouble I have seen on Paddy's night it mostly comes from people i'd assume are unemployed scrotes so I don't think it makes all that much difference if people have to be in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It may be a generalisation but from trouble I have seen on Paddy's night it mostly comes from people i'd assume are unemployed scrotes so I don't think it makes all that much difference if people have to be in work.

It is a generalisation and as you know yourself from reading the forum charter, they're not allowed here. So restrain yourself from posting anymore of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Enjoyed the parade earlier. Had a nice stroll around Stephen's Green after and a nice relaxed vibe listening to the trad. Good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

What time did the parade finish at?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Comfreycream

Watch your purse, lots of pickpockets in for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watch your purse, lots of pickpockets in for it

Bit late?

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Isn't every day "a horrible, scummy, nasty day" for bouncers :rolleyes:

No. The vast majority of people are brilliant and make my job a pleasure and mostly great craic ~ otherwise I wouldn't be doing it for so long.

Even the arseholes usually have a good reason why they're arseholes, you just have to have some empathy with people and the job becomes a little easier.

Why the rollie eyes emoticon?

• Advertisement

No. The vast majority of people are brilliant and make my job a pleasure and mostly great craic ~ otherwise I wouldn't be doing it for so long.

Even the arseholes usually have a good reason why they're arseholes, you just have to have some empathy with people and the job becomes a little easier.

Why the rollie eyes emoticon?

I wasn't actually referring to the customers making your job difficult, I was referring more to your colleagues ........ must be a nightmare surrounded by those types of people for hours on end .......... dealing with them for 2 minutes on a door makes my skin crawl so I can only imagine what a whole night with them must be like!! :eek:

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I wasn't actually referring to the customers making your job difficult, I was referring more to your colleagues ........ must be a nightmare surrounded by those types of people for hours on end .......... dealing with them for 2 minutes on a door makes my skin crawl so I can only imagine what a whole night with them must be like!! :eek:

Ohhhh, you were trying to insult me ~ I've a neck like a jockey's bollox you'll have to try better.

However I'll treat you like an adult.

I've worked with plenty of dipsh*ts over the years, but most lads are grand.. working the doors has helped me put two children through third level education (first in my entire family to have done so), as a result they won't have to work two and sometimes three jobs ~ they certainly won't have to work the doors and deal with people like YOU who'd rather treat them with contempt, I certainly wouldn't like them making anyone's skin crawl.

Oh, well done on a generalization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I was in Dublin yesterday. I enjoyed the day but I have to say that the air of menace on O'Connell St around 6pm was quite something. I have been in some rough places during my life but I genuinely felt nervous walking down O'Connell St. Even the Gardaí looked scared.

I was in Dublin yesterday. I enjoyed the day but I have to say that the air of menace on O'Connell St around 6pm was quite something. I have been in some rough places during my life but I genuinely felt nervous walking down O'Connell St. Even the Gardaí looked scared.

I don't know what O'Connell Street was like (although I walked down it at five am this morning, after work) but the cops done a fantastic job at keeping trouble at bay and moving the scumbags out of the Templebar area, a superb job.

Of course there was trouble, but no where on the level of previous years ~ and I'm working in Templebar since 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

We enjoyed the parade around D8 and a pint afterwards, but it was certainly eye opening as to what percentage of Dublin populace lives in dirty tracksuits/leggings and communicates by shouting their heads off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I don't know what O'Connell Street was like (although I walked down it at five am this morning, after work) but the cops done a fantastic job at keeping trouble at bay and moving the scumbags out of the Templebar area, a superb job.

Of course there was trouble, but no where on the level of previous years ~ and I'm working in Templebar since 1999.

As you work in the city, do you observe more activity fron the gardai in controlling antisocial behaviour recently? Boardsies report that it's happening, but to me city centre feels quite messy still... Might be the season though, we could all use more sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

mhge wrote: »
    As you work in the city, do you observe more activity fron the gardai in controlling antisocial behaviour recently? Boardsies report that it's happening, but to me city centre feels quite messy still... Might be the season though, we could all use more sun!

The Garda presence was there but at the beginning of operation spire a lot of it was plain clothes whereas now its moved into a more visible presence. I have a business and live in the city centre and was surprised at how well things seemed to be yesterday maybe I just happened to only see a few quiet spots. I agree the city is very messy I walked across the city today and it was still incredibly dirty obviously it would have been a huge job last night but still would have expected it to have been done.

mhge wrote: »

Tbh generally there's been very little change, but yesterday AGS took off the kid gloves and stood firm against scum loitering in the area.

This is one of the first years where there was very little anti-social activity where I work compared to most.

MadDog76 must be dying to know, I work on the door of a very popular rock/metal bar on Aston Quay, so I'd be fairly familiar with what goes on along the quays ~ esp from O'Connell St bridge to Caple St bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

MadDog76 must be dying to know, I work on the door of a very popular rock/metal bar on Aston Quay, so I'd be fairly familiar with what goes on along the quays ~ esp from O'Connell St bridge to Caple St bridge.

The lovely floral one? Great spot!

• Advertisement

Tbh generally there's been very little change, but yesterday AGS took off the kid gloves and stood firm against scum loitering in the area.

This is one of the first years where there was very little anti-social activity where I work compared to most.

;)

Advertisement