Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom want 75 euro for a new router or 5 months extended contract, can I use a

Options
  • 06-03-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

A friend had the misfortune to have a lightning strike and the router, which was eircom's initially but they have moved to Pure Telecom now. The fault was reported twice and Pure Telecom did not nothing, not a call back etc.

I got involved today and traced fault to the router, telephone socket is ok and phone works. Pure Telecom will supply a new router for 75 euro or an extension to the contract of 5 months!! They said this was in their T&C's but I cant find anything.

I have an old silver motorola eircom router that looks like the newer type black ones, D1000 ZyXel. Will the old one work, its in mint condition?

And is it just a case of connecting the cables? Friend has no documentation.

I now have fibre and have forgotten the process. I do recall getting a disc with the motorola.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need the pure PPPoE details. A quick google doesnt throw them up. It could pure@pure.ie or something similar, or it could be unique to each account.

When he transitioned from eircom to Pure he would have had to enter them to get a Pure IP address, might still have a record of them. If not, Pure should be able to provide them (but might moan about it, sky are like this).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Your friends misfortune wasn't the lightening strike, it was signing up with pure telecom.
    Your modem should work ok. If you plug it into the phone socket does the DSL light go solid green? If it does then all you need is the pure telecom username and password.
    Unfortunately they are unique to each customer. Ring their technical support and ask for it. As ED E says, they'll probably complain but demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks both, I'll give it a go. The pure website says instructions are sent with modem but I could find nothing. I am amazed how gullible people are to cold calling.

There may be something on the bills.

A little update, I plugged in an old black eircom router that I had, one with one wireless aerial, and it connected automatically, no logging on. I then contacted Pure Telecom and after a brief discussion they are sending out a new modem free of charge. Its a Technicolour TG582N pro.

So happy all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Good stuff. Crap wireless on it though.
    Strange that they'd rather send out a free modem than tell you the log in details.:)

• Advertisement

oops, the reviews looked good for that model!! Have you got it?

And there was no problem with logging in, it connected automatically!! which surprised me. And I even checked the log in settings on router, it still showed Vodafone etc!! I was only loaning the router to get them back online. I was in fact going to give it to them but the power lead was iffy, ie if I wriggled it at router end it would loose power. And I had an idea Pure were a bit clever when they signed them up originally ie they should have sent a new modem.

So that is why they are getting a new one. Is the wireless really bad? They are getting 6.9mb with the current one and laptop on table next to it.

I cant believe they were so bad/slow in dealing with the fault, I had to rush away, in actual fact they did nothing about the fault I fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On older exchanges any valid PPPoE details can sometimes work.

Chances are if you google "what is my IP" and put the result into a whois database you'll get vodafone as the credentials will point you to their IP pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement