Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16,944 days until Halley's Comet returns

Options
  • 08-03-2015 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Any plans for it?

Might be alive for it myself. Think I'll post a pic of it here if AH is still around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

When's that then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

kneemos wrote: »
    When's that then.

Thursday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Thursday

Falling on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Less till Xmas though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Busy that day. Maybe next time :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I remember back in '86 when it was last visible, my Dad took me out to the back roads (just outside Donaghmede in dublin) it was clear enough to see then - today im sure there would be too much light pollution.

In theory I could be around for it's return , but I doubt it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I missed it last time because it was a few months before I was born. I will be nearly 75 when it returns.

Busy that day. Maybe next time :P

I'll post a pic here for ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's 46 years away if anyone is wondering.

I'll be around 70 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll post a pic here for ya. :)

Brilliant.

AH will still have people debating religion though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Grabs stool and binoculars.

conorh91 wrote: »

I was wondering.

Don't care now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any plans for it?

Might be alive for it myself. Think I'll post a pic of it here if AH is still around.

I'll post a picture of myself if I see it that day, as I'll be 117. :)

It was quite a disappointing view in 1986 even using a decent telescope. Maybe 2061 will be better but the expectations are that, due to the trajectory, it wouldn't even be on a par with 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Hale bopp was a fantastic comet in 1997, and for what its worth, if u missed it, its pops again around 4385.

Astronomers are an excitable bunch.
    They get really worked up over very little .

chrysagon wrote: »
    Hale bopp was a fantastic comet in 1997, and for what its worth, if u missed it, its pops again around 4385.

Ummmm, I dunno I could be melted by then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

conorh91 wrote: »

And your point is? I'm now 71.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Astronomers are an excitable bunch.
    They get really worked up over very little .

Such an ignorant post.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Such an ignorant post.

I disagree.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Such an ignorant post.
    I disagree.

You's two gonna be arguing for the next 46 years? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I will like to see it with my future wife and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Hale Bopp was a serious great comet. Finally an event that lived up to expectation. It was sitting in the sky with a huge tail. Marvellous spectacle on a clear night for some time.
    I am grateful that I saw this event time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This thread is good panic attack material

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This thread is good panic attack material

In around 5 billion years, our sun will begin to die.

Now, that's good panic attack material.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nim wrote: »

They're changing the chocolate in the Creme Egg. How about that for panic attack material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Before that though the sun will expand and fireball the Earth. That's only billion years from now:)
    ....but before that again the our milky way galaxy is due to collide with another approaching galaxy, marbles fun time! That's milions of years from now and likely Earth will be destroyed
    .......hundreds of thousands of years from now the night sky will look hugely different as this new galaxy approaches.
    I know what you're thinking, how will we escape? Well I won't be here because I got biz with the main man but.... a huge rocket engine and biosphere will surround the Earth to turn it into organic space craft. We will then propel ourselves off into space to find a new sun. That in the tens of thousands years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

no one gets out alive either way!!!!!!!!!!!!

so enjoy the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Any plans for it?

Never know. Mark Twain predicted that and was right..

T"wain was born shortly after a visit by Halley's Comet, and he predicted that he would "go out with it", too. He died the day after the comet returned. He was lauded as the "greatest American humorist of his age",[5] and William Faulkner called Twain "the father of American literature" -wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ah, too bad. My life expectancy is only 10957 days. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Its actually been dying constantly, it expires about then but we will be long gone either way. .

It will collapse in upon itself and drag all the stars anx planets around then alright but earth will cease to exist far before that.

As the sun grows warmer slowly, very slowly it will eventually start killing certain vegetarian and thus some animals dependant on them, then slowly drain the water from the earth. But its a long process with unforseen obstacles yet to show themselves.

We however have some excellent minds considering most every contingency I'm sure. The first four people that will start the colony on mars are going up in 2017/18 with more going up every 2 years after. (There is an Irish guy in the final 50 shortlisted or so I can't remember).

Anyway if Branson gets to bring tourists up to space in his lifetime we will start pioneering space and actually exploring and experimenting surely within 500 years. That's very realistic. The biggest problem they have is the distance is unthinkable and fuel is a massive problem but they almost have a solution. Remember that 17mile long track they built to smash two atoms together. .. the energy from that but its unstable or has some issue anyway.

Of course that's assuming we permit ourselves time. There are a lot of crazy people in the world. And im referring to big bankers and their ridiculous loans to buddies who should be in jail, the Federal Reserve banks more so and their ridiculously wealthy private owners, the currupted governments that sold out future generations, chemical warfare threats between nations, false flag propaganda from disguised figures, to name a few...

Once we focus on the problems enough we will figure it out though, its our way.

Time will tell but its gonna be entertaining I reckon regardless.

Advertisement