Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

bilston wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the Cole/Healy incident is worth revisiting? IMO Cole's head makes an unnatural move towards Healy's face as they come together. I admit slow motion replays make these things look a lot worse.

Would be silly to cite him for that. As you said slow motion multiplies the severity of it tenfold. If you start picking up things like that there would be 8-10 citings every game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just watching the BBC post match analysis now and they highlighted something I never noticed in real time. When Murray was coming into the ruck he immediately signaled to Henshaw as to where he was putting the ball. His decision making was really good today.

And Woodward is full of praise for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

keith16 wrote: »
    Our winning streak will inevitably come to an end but please make it anyone other than Wales.

i think something like 3 of our next 5 matches are agains them and the other two we are unlikely to lose so if we are going to lose before the world cup its likely to wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

bilston wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the Cole/Healy incident is worth revisiting? IMO Cole's head makes an unnatural move towards Healy's face as they come together. I admit slow motion replays make these things look a lot worse.

If you look carefully you can see him closing his eyes a split second beforehand thus a watertight case of a deliberate and heinous act.

Nah, I think you are the only one there Bilston. And the lad who gave you a thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

On slightly more sober reflection, I think the most impressive thing about today's Irish performance is that it was the same things as happened the game before... and before that... and the autumn... I can't think there's any coaches love more than consistency, being able to know what players will do, and Schmidt's really got that. Feel the try was a good example of that - its the sort of opportunism and quick thinking you get from Murray every match.

Bit of chat before the game about the Irish tight five being a little out of sorts, won't be before the next one. Feel Rory Best in particular deserves singling out for industry and just being bloody difficult to play again but they all did well.

Henshaw I think came of age today - not just due to the try (although everyone will say it) or the support run and toe poke that led to Alex Goode's wonder escape - but the footwork, the physicality with which he met Vunipola. I know he's been doing that stuff, he just seemed to be doing it that little bit better.

Will be interesting to see you against Wales - think your biggest enemy that day will be the pressure, for all most of this Ireland team have plenty of final experience.
    We bossed that game, we bossed a bigger and more powerful team and they never really looked like scoring.

I apologise for being a bore on the subject but we're not bigger than you. The Ireland team that played Italy was heavier than the England team that played Wales, albeit by 5kg. I am, alas, too lazy to work out accurate figures for today but given the largely unchanged nature of the teams I doubt they were much more than 5kg off each other either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just watching the BBC post match analysis now and they highlighted something I never noticed in real time. When Murray was coming into the ruck he immediately signaled to Henshaw as to where he was putting the ball. His decision making was really good today.

Yeah, you can see it here at 1:18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Stheno wrote: »
    He has. Did you see the state of his shirt at half time? It's ripped to pieces

Magical powers. He just seems to materialize to make the tackle when a runner gets through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

For me there were a couple of key moments. England showing unbelievable arrogance in going for the corner at 6-3 and Devin Toner robbing the subsequent lineout was a massive moment and the scrum penalty Ireland won early in the 2nd half.

Again we were hanging on a bit near the end but had enough of a cushion. Wales in Cardiff will be a big one. Was hoping France would rule them out of contention yesterday but they performed well up front. Was surprised how well Samson Lee did.

The key for Ireland really is Sexton being fit for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JoeTheMuss

England
    Superb performance from the Irish players and management, you couldn,t criticize any of the players today.Thought the English were lucky not to get a yellow card for constant cynical infringing in the mauls and rucks. Wales will be tough to beat in Cardiff but I feel this team can push on and improve even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Nim wrote: »
    Yeah, you can see it here at 1:18.

POM on the far side was excellent in this. Picked his moment then secured the ball then a small carry to allow the rest of the lads to get back to position. Zebo made two big plays here too.

JJ lucky to escape yellow for the tackle on RK, hint of swinging arm around the neck. If Henshaw doesnt score he might have got binned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    I feel we will need every bit of this two week break to recover. A lot of casualties and tired bodies it seems

JoeTheMuss wrote: »
    Superb performance from the Irish players and management, you couldn,t criticize any of the players today.Thought the English were lucky not to get a yellow card for constant cynical infringing in the mauls and rucks. Wales will be tough to beat in Cardiff but I feel this team can push on and improve even more.

Our discipline today was excellent, with halfpenny on the pitch it needs to be again in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

aimee1 wrote: »
    POM on the far side was excellent in this. Picked his moment then secured the ball then a small carry to allow the rest of the lads to get back to position. Zebo made two big plays here too.

JJ lucky to escape yellow for the tackle on RK, hint of swinging arm around the neck. If Henshaw doesnt score he might have got binned.

Anyone else think Murray plays the ball on the ground at 1.01?

Note: At the same ruck. Ireland No 20 comes in from the side. England No 8. comes in from the side. Your man who comes in the middle of ruck hits the scrummie who hasn't got the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Wales won't be a tougher game than England, Australia or SA. I'm extremely confident.

The game being away from home is what will make it more of a challenge IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

2 thoughts after today:

1) How good has our defence been? 23 points conceded in 3 games for an average of only 8 points per game. England have conceded 52 and Wales 57.

2) Has Robbie Henshaw already become one of our most important players? We have good depth in lots of positions - prop, backrow, wing - but if we lost Robbie, I think the replacement would be quite a step down, be it D'Arcy, Madigan or Marshall....our defence would certainly lose some intensity. Henshaw topped the tackle count again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Wales won't be a tougher game than England, Australia or SA. I'm extremely confident.
    It won't be as physical. If anything we're the stronger pack. Will be interesting to see how the kicking game works with North et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

S12b wrote: »
    2 thoughts after today:

1) How good has our defence been? 23 points conceded in 3 games for an average of only 8 points per game. England have conceded 52 and Wales 57.

2) Has Robbie Henshaw already become one of our most important players? We have good depth in lots of positions - prop, backrow, wing - but if we lost Robbie, I think the replacement would be quite a step down, be it D'Arcy, Madigan or Marshall....our defence would certainly lose some intensity. Henshaw topped the tackle count again today.

As a Connacht man, I thought Robbie was everywhere and immense. His display today was legendary.

ThisRegard wrote: »

And Woodward is full of praise for Ireland.

Murray was class and is the best 9 in world rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Best game I have seen Zebo play, fair play to him.

Best's best game in some time, great to see him step up, particularly required having lost SOB. Was always there in defense and attack, class performance.

Back row, and in fairness all 15, were immense at the breakdown, we continually blew England away. Amazing to see Haskell, in such domineering form, compeletely neutralised. Same with Rodber and Vunipola.

All 4 props were awesome. Now very excited about Henshaw, its taken me a while to catch up I'll admit, his physicality is very impressive.

Murray continues to improve, another world class performance, we are so lucky to have those two half backs. Sexton was Sexton, he is a legend, no other word for it, a winner through and through.

Very very proud to be able to call myself Irish today.

Whats the story with Sexton and O'Brien, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

England
    There was a millisecond, a millisecond, when I thought POC was going to gather the blocked box kick and run down the wing to score.

Think about it people. Our lives would be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's an away match and we've been picking up injuries. Ireland are in pole position for the Grand Slam but it will be a tough one in Cardiff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sexton had a hamstring twinge so they took him off SOB is going through the concussion protocols
    There was a millisecond, a millisecond, when I thought POC was going to gather the blocked box kick and run down the wing to score.

I hoped and hoped, and urged him on
    That would have been the icing on the icing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I don't usually post in the Rugby forum but had to drop by and share my thoughts on today.

It was an interesting game - I think a neutral wouldn't have found it as entertaining as those of us emotionally involved. Ireland's kicking game, while effective, wasn't the prettiest (not that I care.)

I was surprised by England, I thought they'd be better than they were but Ireland were pretty clinical and applied their gameplan ruthlessly. Murray's kicking was on point today - he made breaks, didn't miss a pass - he was brilliant. I'd have given him MOTM but Henshaw was amazing too. For those interested, there are some interesting stats on the Six Nations page re: Henshaw. http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/home.php

The Grandslam is moving into sight at this point; I don't mean to disrespect Scotland, but if we can get past Wales, we should be okay. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Scots but they need to get their act together.

So I'm very pleased with the win but I think it's fair to say that Ireland's game will have to change if we're to compete at the world cup. That game we saw today will not beat New Zealand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ireland are amazing. Joe Schmidt is amazing.

Amazing.

JS said sexton was just a twinge, and was precautionary.

SOB they arent sure what happened but starts RTP tomorrow or tuesday. They thing it was clash of heads but nothing clear in video

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He almost had it in his grasp, was too close to the touchline and it rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There was a second when I thought Jonny was done again, them exiting their 22 with Vinpola I think, Jonny took one to the head. Still not convinced he wasn't a bit dazed.

The Grandslam is moving into sight at this point; I don't mean to disrespect Scotland, but if we can get past Wales, we should be okay. I don't know what the hell is going on with the Scots but they need to get their act together.

Scotland are just clueless. No leadership on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The skill level in U12 GAA is way higher than U12 Rugby (from what I have seen). Where Rugby really gets going is at schools level. By U12, a decent GAA player can kick off both feet and a do range of stuff to a pretty high standard.

I'm sure he was playing a bit over the summer etc. maybe at a lower level.

I'm an avid GAA man and I would agree wholeheartedly that the prevalence of a GAA background in our back line is conducive to to said back line being strong in the air but your particular point is straw clutching of the highest order.

Advertisement