Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

spiralism wrote: »
    Since we blew that game against NZ a year and a half ago, we've got very very good at closing out games. Three times in the past four games we've held on when past Irish teams would have blown at least two of them.

I suppose that's true but on the flipside it should be a worry that in a few matches we seem to let go of commanding positions and end up defending frantically when we should be comfortable.

Although a lot of that has to do with injuries and just pure exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Will this move us up the rankings?

No.

It does send out a message ahead of the world cup. We find ourselves with a serious squad of rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    We'll go back to third comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

errlloyd wrote: »
    Some people (potentially not you) have been saying this as if rugby owes the GAA something, and it's bothering me. I concede we are using GAA skills, but I wish people would stop saying it all the time as if it's what makes us good. Catching the ball above our heads is literally the only skill that the players get from GAA, if they'd actually spent all the GAA time playing rugby instead they'd be much better at other things, like passing, tackling and catching the ball in every situation that doesn't involve catching it over your head.
    There's a bit more do it than that. In gaa you are man to man and trying to catch a ball first which may not be over your head. It is not just hand to eye, but there's odd little push in the back, niggle etc to give yourself a bit of an advantage, as well as how high you can jump.

You are also kicking the ball out of your hand a lot and trying to do it accurately.
    The reason the All Blacks are (and will always) be better is because kids there play Rugby growing up.
    I think it's because their coaching is way better - at all levels.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

GDK_11 wrote: »
    English Fan opinion!!

Ireland were excellent today thoroughly deserved their win. Sexton is the stand out 10 in world rugby never mind the northern hemisphere. The scrum held up very well, thought that would be dominated by england, seemed they may get on top towards the end but the game was well gone by that point.

From an English perspective very few positives. Goode did well bar the try and the back line made some good runs individually, not as a unit unfortunately. Never rated Haskell even after the first two games, he's guaranteed to give away penalties under pressure. Lawes and parling should improve england as will wood. Agreed with ROG that ford can be very special in a couple of years, lacks the experience.

Hopefully ireland go in and complete the slam now, definitely deserving of it and I think we could all agree that it would be slightly annoying if Wales snatched another one.

Fair play to you. At least you're not a sore loser. I watched the game with an English guy who's excuse for their loss was that the referee was French( He was actually South African). Not sure we were watching the same game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Will this move us up the rankings?

Yes, back to third. England had taken 3rd place when they beat Wales in Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Great win. Really professional performance in a thoroughly absorbing contest. Few really negative opinions in here which is weird, I thought we were excellent throughout although England gave away way too many penalties, won't be happy with that.

Murray was absolutely class, his kicking game is top-notch as well as the way he bosses his pack. His half-break that set Henshaw away, before Goode saved them was excellent, did well to get his hands free. The real highlight obviously was the kick for the try which was beautifully measured.

Scrum was very solid, I know a few people had worries but we beat them up, Best bounced back from two under-par performances to show what he can do, class act. Toner excellent. Considering we played most of the game without SOB & Heaslip, our back row were excellent- fair play to TOD and Jordi. Sexton class as per usual, missed him when he went off. Zebo put in a huge shift as well, such an asset under the high ball and always made yards in contact.

But Henshaw was a well-deserved man of the match, the standout player even before his try which was ridiculously good to finish in those circumstances. For such a young player to step up so well... he's getting better and better and I don't see why it would stop now.

Henderson had a huge impact defensively when he came on, I thought, made a lot of big hits.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Said it before in a different thread, but Ireland by 8+.
    Joe has consistently brought results since Twickenham last year, he nearly pulled it off that day too.
    This Irish team fears no one. The days of having to get yourself into an aggressive frenzy in the changing room before playing one of the 'BIGGER' teams (because deep down you actually fear them) are long gone.
    A team that is marshaled well, with confidence based on achievements, knows they can beat anyone.

I expect joe to surprise us all today.
    With England left wondering what the f*** just hit them.

Henshaw MOTM.

Good call, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Nim wrote: »
    Yes, back to third. England had taken 3rd place when they beat Wales in Cardiff.

Oops. I hadn't realised that.

When is Andrew Trimble due back? My player of the tournament last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Haven't read all the posts but Ireland really have put down a marker for the WC

58mins and England got their 2nd score on the board. What Ireland did was bring intensity mixed with a consistent game plan to the pitch.

I was suspect about this game as England are the only other side in the NH that have a great chance of winning the WC. We put it to them and came out on top. You have to admire Schmidt.

I could go on all day (too many guinness mixed with stereotypical Irish put-downs) but I really think Ireland have a fantastic chance of a WC final...plus I am delighted for my fellow Athlone man Robbie Henshaw, great work ethic and overall good mentality.

Can't wait for the WC :)

PS well done to thomond2006 on the bets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

aido79 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. At least you're not a sore loser. I watched the game with an English guy who's excuse for their loss was that the referee was French( He was actually South African). Not sure we were watching the same game.

One thing being patriotic, another being completely blind. Very disappointed but at the same time very realistic the best team won on the day. Now to sneak away from my girlfriends jubilant family and cry myself to sleep :-)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    I said before the game that Ireland were alot more than a kick chase team and that both centres would run at least 30 meters each, which has been borne out. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It's funny, IMO Murray is the best 9 in world rugby for Ireland's game plan...and Aaron Smith is the best 9 in world rugby for NZ's style of play. They are both class.

going into the WC we both have the best half backs in the world right now - would be great if we met in WC final - my main concern today was SOB - when he made that run , I thought great he is back to his best - but for the type of game he plays I just wonder will he ever become the payer he was a couple of years ago - or will all the hits, like Ferrris, catch up him - hopefully not, so important player for Ireland - never mind leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Robshaw must have the biggest engine in world rugby. It's unbelievable how he puts in such a massive work load every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hagz wrote: »
    Robshaw must have the biggest engine in world rugby. It's unbelievable how he puts in such a massive work load every game.

Aye, he's incredible in that regard.

In fairness, Minto the Italian flanker is similar. Absolutely ridiculous work rate, no idea how he keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭twinytwo

As can only happen with youth.... he wont always be able to keep that up though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Murphy and TOD had very good game.
    Incredibly frustrating watching Attwood and Kruis lazy running to get back onside too, think they were only penalised for that once.

shuffol wrote: »
    I f#cking love robbie Henshaw.

A drinking game for every time the commentator mentions his name would be some craic.

Everytime gaa skills are mentioned

twinytwo wrote: »
    As can only happen with youth.... he wont always be able to keep that up though:(

He's almost 29. Not exactly a youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    Am I alone in thinking Joubert had a good game? Missed a bit and was a touch harsh at the breakdown at times but sure its impossible to get everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭twinytwo

He's almost 29. Not exactly a youth.

:eek: my bad, i read the post as henshaw instead of robshaw:o

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking Joubert had a good game? Missed a bit and was a touch harsh at the breakdown at times but sure its impossible to get everything right.

It's funny. Been trawling the various websites, and fans from both sides not always happy with the ref. Human nature I guess. He's never too popular on here, partly because people would have mostly preferred france to win in '11, but in general a good ref. He missed a couple of knock-ons to my mind, but I thought a pretty decent display. No ref gets it 100% right, but there were no howlers. He's almost certain to get one of the world cup semis I would have thought, with Owens the other.

The GAA skills thing is just played up.
    When I played GAA all of the catching would have been overhead rather then into the basket as Henshaw's today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

hadoken13 wrote: »
    It's not really that - the backs on the team who make really good, high-ball catches played GAA as a kid and this helped in their development.

I think that's nonsense to be honest, and is lazily thrown out there endlessly by the likes of Tom McGurk. It's become a clichée at this stage and as such is parroted and gains a currency it doesn't merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Bridge93 wrote: »

The amount of time he waits for the tackled player to release the ball is infuriating. I also felt there were a few more offsides he and the ARs could have called

It's a load of crap to be honest. I wonder how much GAA these guys have actually player. Probably a couple of games at u13 level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It's funny. Been trawling the various websites, and fans from both sides not always happy with the ref. Human nature I guess. He's never too popular on here, partly because people would have mostly preferred france to win in '11, but in general a good ref. He missed a couple of knock-ons to my mind, but I thought a pretty decent display. No ref gets it 100% right, but there were no howlers. He's almost certain to get one of the world cup semis I would have thought, with Owens the other.

i thought joubert was good. he was consistent with his decisions

It's a load of crap to be honest. I wonder how much GAA these guys have actually player. Probably a couple of games at u13 level.

Nah I think a few of them would have been minors.

But the point is high ball fielding in GAA is done with hands over your head whereas in rugby it's into the breadbasket.

Two completely different types of fielding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Quite a lot.

Conor Murray: http://hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156156

It is not just over head catching, it is general fielding, general jumping and general kicking.

I remember playing Rugby with a few lads who went to Rugby schools and only played rugby and their kicking was poor. Whereas most GAA / Soccer heads find it easy to kick a Rugby ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Everytime gaa skills are mentioned

i tfied plting that eaelier. didnr work welll

Advertisement