Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

On the role an 'Atheist church' had in Brazil's history From The Irish Times
    An offshoot of Comte’s positivist philosophy...the Religion of Humanity never took off in Europe. But its followers were to play a major role in Brazilian history, with a small but influential group of positivists instrumental in ending slavery, then overthrowing the country’s monarchy and founding in its place a republic.

Today, positivism’s most visible legacy is Brazil’s flag – designed by the positivist “apostle” Raimundo Teixeira Mendes – whose motto of Ordem e Progresso (order and progress) is a condensed version of Comte’s creed: love as a principle and order as the basis; progress as the goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hardly atheist as it refers to a 'Supreme Being'

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Interesting article in the NY Times about the transformation of the once regal grounds and residence of "Little Rome"; the seat of Catholic power in Boston.

An ironic part of the story was when Cardinal O' Connell ousted the Sulpician Priests who ran the seminary there. He demanded that they exhume their departed deceased colleagues from the location and take them away. O' Connell had a mausoleum built for himself and was interred there from 1944 until 2011, when the new owners (Boston College) decided that his body should be relocated because they didn't want the responsibility of taking care of his remains.

Seat of Boston’s Catholic Power Gives Way to Other Pursuits

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A woman goes to mass for the first time in a while and doesn't much like what she sees.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-yes-woman-i-return-to-mass-and-the-room-reminds-me-of-a-closed-fist-1.2038931
    You can unsubscribe from the Topshop mailing list, but you cannot leave the Catholic Church. At least, not any more. Parents or guardians sign you up for lifetime membership to an organisation long before the age of consent. If you grow up to decide you’re not fond of that organisation, that’s that. According to the church, you’re Catholic and there’s nothing you can do about it. You’re on their books, counted as one of their number. Amen. I defected formally from the church prior to 2009 when it was still possible. Since then, I haven’t attended a church service of any kind, until this week.

As part of this series, I have decided – with some reluctance – to go back to Mass. This is the first experience of all those I’ve undertaken thus far to have a negative effect. Usually, I feel better for having tried something, however embarrassing or challenging it may be. But not this time. I return to Limerick to attend Mass at the church where I received my First Holy Communion and did my Confirmation. As I walk through the doors into a building that hadn’t changed since my teens, memories accosted me. A Catholic education changes a person. At worst, it is designed to narrow intellectual scope. At best, it discourages objective inquiry; whichever questions a precocious young person may have, the answers are set for them. Genuine examination of issues just isn’t allowed to happen.

I felt permanently tense and stunted at school. Questions weren’t encouraged. Opting out of religious services wasn’t allowed. I wrestled internally with the supernaturalism that permeated everything. I felt trapped and couldn’t understand why it was that I felt permanently out of place. When our religion class was made to watch a graphic film of an abortion when I was 14, I wasn’t uncomfortable with the film; it was the fact that adults were trying to frighten me and force me into making a particular choice that felt wrong. If what these people are teaching is true, I thought, why do they seem to deem it a disloyalty when I ask questions.

Philosophy changes a person, too. It asks questions and then attempts to pursue them logically and without emotion to their answers. Philosophy asks questions without providing set answers; theology provides answers without asking the questions. I want to go into Mass with an open mind, but it is impossible to approach an unreasoned perspective from a rational perspective. It is like trying to be rational about unicorns. Reason and Catholicism are antithetical.

When I go to Mass, the church is full, but 90 per cent of the congregation seems to be around the age of 70. I watch people genuflecting and I listen to the dull drawl of a priest, which prompts a response from the attendees: “It is right to give Him thanks and praise.” I’d be more comfortable with that statement in the form of a question. As I look around the church, the smells, artwork and drone of familiar words remind me of just how confused I felt in that building as a child. The priest does not strike me as someone who possesses a connection to any mystical undercurrent of the workings of reality as he announces that last week’s collection raised €1,800 and instructs that the baskets be distributed again. I look around the room full of grey heads and ponder that these were the people who – among others – were holding back progress.

This generation is among the loudest voices in preventing young women from having a choice on their own reproductive capability. This is the generation of Catholics who voted against divorce and who are offended by gay marriage. I am not ignoring the importance of older people and the rich contribution they make to society. Nor do I imply that younger generations are not awash with bigotry. But Catholicism is far from socially progressive, and this room is like a closed fist. As I sit in the church with a male companion who doesn’t happen to be white, there are several stares and whispers from people as they sit through a sermon on the benefits of Christian charity at Christmas. A Catholic education taught me – inversely – to value an open, reasoned mind above all else. I won’t be going back.

Hubble spends a little time admiring the Pillars of Creation again.

Full size image is here.

333850.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

needs moar HDR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i think what disappoints a lot of people is when they learn that the famous image is a false colour one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

needs moar HDR.

Yeah, I reckon they could have squeezed more effects in there somewhere. Where though, I couldn't tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Shrap wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon they could have squeezed more effects in there somewhere. Where though, I couldn't tell you.

MOAR LENZ FLAREZ!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOAR LENZ FLAREZ!

The JJ Abrahms version, I don't think anyone would like George Lucas version with about a million more stars in the fore ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

CramCycle wrote: »
    The JJ Abrahms version, I don't think anyone would like George Lucas version with about a million more stars in the fore ground.

They fit together like hand and glove. Both like taking cherished things and smashing them into itty bitty pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I liked the last JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting that most of the warming is shown up in the arctic.
    Some say that if the ice melted, the meltwater would disrupt currents such as the Gulf Stream, because the less salty water would rise, whereas the Gulf Stream water is supposed to sink on reaching northern latitudes due to falling water temperatures, and then return south along the bottom of the ocean.
    If the current was disrupted, you would see a drop in average temperatures along east coast of N America and out into the north atlantic, pretty much as appears on that map.
    Get your snow boots folks, because we're at 53 degrees north, and that is actually a very cold place without the benefit of warm currents from the Gulf of Mexico...

recedite wrote: »
    Get your snow boots folks, because we're at 53 degrees north, and that is actually a very cold place without the benefit of warm currents from the Gulf of Mexico...
    And if if does happen, we're still going to have to put up with the next generation of climate-change denalists raving about "Well, where's your so-called 'globull warming' now, Mister Scientist?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

recedite wrote: »

Nearly every year Ireland is the northernmost snow free country in the world.

ims2013018.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Calibos wrote: »
    Nearly every year Ireland is the northernmost snow free country in the world.

ims2013018.gif

Woah! That's me starting to prepare for the next ice-age anyway! Pity my woodland is all ash plants :( New Year resolution: Plant more species *, immediately.

Edit: * severe cold-hardy species.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A good news story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30937492
    German court rules that men can urinate while standing

A court in Germany has ruled in favour of a man's right to urinate while standing up after his landlord demanded money for damage to the bathroom floor.

The landlord, who was seeking €1,900 (£1400; $2,200), claimed the marble floor had been damaged by urine.

But the Duesseldorf judge ruled that the man's method was within cultural norms, saying "urinating standing up is still common practice".

There is some debate in Germany about whether men should sit or stand to pee.

Some toilets have red traffic-style signs forbidding the standing position - but those who choose to sit are often referred to as a "Sitzpinkler", implying it is not masculine behaviour.

Judge Stefan Hank agreed with an expert's report that uric acid had caused some damage to the bathroom's floor.

But concluding, he said men who insist on standing "must expect occasional rows with housemates, especially women" but cannot be held to account for collateral damage.

"Despite growing domestication of men in this matter, urinating while standing up is still common practice," he added.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

NASA released a new pic of our galaxy’s closest neighbor, but it's not just any regular picture.

The image is 60,000 by 22,000 pixels (1.5 billion pixels), allowing the telescope to resolve each separate star.

NASA describes it as being: ”like photographing a beach and resolving individual grains of sand”.

Here is a really cool video about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FD93AsNZEc

• Advertisement

Bill Nye has a new book out:
    Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation.

More info: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/01/150125-bill-nye-science-guy-evolution-creation-book-talk-culture/

A quote from Bill: "We can't raise a generation of students who don't understand the fundamental idea in all of life science, any more than you want to raise a generation of kids who don't understand chemistry or physics or arithmetic."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Love watching these crash course videos, very informative.

This one covers the protestant reformation and discussed the catholic church's land ownership and power at the time, very interesting.

Very easy argue that the protestants had a good idea at the time, they also encouraged education of the religion by translating the bible into German instead of latin which really only priests could read.

Of course its all flawed at the end of the day because it was only a other interpretation of the same old bronze age words.

Scary that Anabaptists had a basic idea of not baptizing infants, this lead to executions and many of them being killed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

'Scientists pledge to increase interference with the Church '

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2015/feb/04/scientists-pledge-to-increase-interference-with-the-church?CMP=share_btn_tw
    UK Church groups have recently been criticised for campaigning against the legalisation of mitochondrial donation. As their efforts failed, a group of emboldened scientists has vowed to turn the tables and interfere with matters of religion

^^^ Dr Hugh Briss and Dr Potkettle Black both working for an organization named "FFS"?

*cough*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ Dr Hugh Briss and Dr Potkettle Black both working for an organization named "FFS"?

*cough*

I know! What are the odds?! :pac:

Anybody have any Here's the ideal gift for the guilty religious amongst your friends and family!

Seems to be an early model though, so there's probably no personal safety alarm fitted in the parishioner's bit.

http://www.donedeal.ie/antiques-for-sale/confession-box/8599362?offset=1

337803.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    Anybody have any Here's the ideal gift for the guilty religious amongst your friends and family!

Seems to be an early model though, so there's probably no personal safety alarm fitted in the parishioner's bit.

http://www.donedeal.ie/antiques-for-sale/confession-box/8599362?offset=1
    That'd be a mega wardrobe!

kylith wrote: »
    That'd be a mega wardrobe!
    I'm well tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

I'd love one. Think of the party games you could invent!

• Advertisement

Behold, Earthlings, your world!

Advertisement