Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

whippet wrote: »
    So really what I want is some reassurance that I haven't shot myself in the foot ... realistically what is it like on a cruise ship with two small kids? Is there enough on board to keep the kids entertained / active throughout the day .. i'm not too worried about the days that we are docked as they are both quite adventurous and enjoy walking around and finding stuff

This is a generic answer as I've never been on a RC ship but cruise ships cater very well for kids with special swimming pools and water slides and activities organised by crew members. Younger kids are very important for cruise lines as they are anxious to attract families as part of their strategy to widen the appeal of cruises to as broad an audience as possible.

If I was you I'd go to the RC website and download the ship's plan to get the deck layout, that will allow you to see where the kids' pools are relative to your cabin, you should also get an idea of what activities are organised each day for the younger cruisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

whippet wrote: »
    I'm looking for some real experiences here ... for the last couple of years I have been to France for the family holidays .. driving over and staying in small gite/ farmhouse accommodation and have loved it. Next summer out two kids will be 5 and 3 and we decided that we wanted a change from France and something a little more relaxing for ourselves rather than worrying about cooking, cars planning days out etc.

So we jumped the gun and have booked a Med cruise with Royal Carribean for next july .. ex. Barcelona on the Vision of the Seas.

So really what I want is some reassurance that I haven't shot myself in the foot ... realistically what is it like on a cruise ship with two small kids? Is there enough on board to keep the kids entertained / active throughout the day .. i'm not too worried about the days that we are docked as they are both quite adventurous and enjoy walking around and finding stuff

Have you checked Cruise Critic ? There is a thread on Royal Caribbean where you can ask questions but think you need to register on the website.
    I have been on 5 Caribbean cruises with RCCL ( without kids ) :D & am sailing on Oasis next year. I have never found fault with RCCL and at this point I don't even look at the rest as I know what I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't cruise with kids, but from speaking to others on board, it sounds great. I've done an RC cruise in the Med, and that was lovely, so don't worry from that side. I think as long as the kids are toilet trained everything is great. They can go to the kid's club during the day, or stay with you by the pool. The Vision doesn't have water slides, but there is a toddler pool iirc, and a general splash zone.

You can arrange babysitting on board (usually with the kid's club crew), and they also do things like arrange to take a bunch of kids to dinner together, so you can go eat in the main dining room at a more leisurely pace if you like.

Remember when you're at sea, television is pretty limited at times. I think they have pay per view movies (though I've never used them), but if TV/movies are important to your kids, make some plan to bring a tablet or something with you.

Some parents worry about "what if something happens while the kids are elsewhere", but the ships have great plans already worked out for those, with designated meeting spots, and coloured bracelets so your kids will get to the right meeting point, etc.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

For anybody planning a cruise with Royal Caribbean it's worthwhile trying a US travel agent - we used cruise.com and got a better price. They also honour price drops - for our upcoming cruise (Transatlantic on Oasis of the Seas) we initially booked an interior cabin, there was a price drop and we were able to change to an oceanview balcony guarantee room. It worked out cheaper than the interior! Obviously there won't always be such big price drops but definitely worth a look

I totally agree. For the last two years we've booked with big US agency rather than Irish one. Until the date of final payment you can get a full refund - no questions asked. Any monies paid are paid directly to the cruiseline and you can see this by logging onto your cruiseline account using booking number given by agency. You can monitor the price (there are websites for this) and if price drops just phone agent and your price will reduce. I priced cruise in Ireland just to see what I would have been charged, but bought in US. I have had 3 reductions since June amounting to about $600.- on one balcony cabin - The agency are giving us $200 on board credit along with other special offers given by cruiseline (we travel with Celebrity Cruises.) If the company bring out a good offer ie, drinks package, pre paid gratuities you just phone your travel agent and they cancel and rebook with new, better perks. Even after agencies final payment date I have been given reduction back on to my credit card when price dropped again. Americans cruise a lot and the system there is completely different. You've nothing to lose by booking as any reductions are passed on. If you book with an Irish Agent and the price drops. tough.. You wouldn't even think of phoning to ask. I know for your first cruise people like to book locally, but its just you save so much money by using an overseas agent. That's my experience anyway. Obviously you research online the agency you are thinking of using to make sure it is one of the large reputable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

xraylady wrote: »
    I totally agree. For the last two years we've booked with big US agency rather than Irish one. Until the date of final payment you can get a full refund - no questions asked. Any monies paid are paid directly to the cruiseline and you can see this by logging onto your cruiseline account using booking number given by agency. You can monitor the price (there are websites for this) and if price drops just phone agent and your price will reduce. I priced cruise in Ireland just to see what I would have been charged, but bought in US. I have had 3 reductions since June amounting to about $600.- on one balcony cabin - The agency are giving us $200 on board credit along with other special offers given by cruiseline (we travel with Celebrity Cruises.) If the company bring out a good offer ie, drinks package, pre paid gratuities you just phone your travel agent and they cancel and rebook with new, better perks. Even after agencies final payment date I have been given reduction back on to my credit card when price dropped again. Americans cruise a lot and the system there is completely different. You've nothing to lose by booking as any reductions are passed on. If you book with an Irish Agent and the price drops. tough.. You wouldn't even think of phoning to ask. I know for your first cruise people like to book locally, but its just you save so much money by using an overseas agent. That's my experience anyway. Obviously you research online the agency you are thinking of using to make sure it is one of the large reputable ones.

Can I ask who you used?

• Advertisement

Sure. I hope it's ok to mention names. American Discount Cruises and Travel. no affiliation other than satisfied customer. I've friends who used Vacations to go and found them good also. Diff agencies will be offering diff " sweeteners ". I know V to Go have a free phone number for Irish people to use but ADCruises are always easy to contact not holding on for long and have phoned me back several times. Someone mentioned that with V to Go you have all your dealings with the one contact whereas with the crowd I use I don't deal with one person in particular but I haven't found this a problem.

Just an indication of the way prices fluctuate. I've attached graph of our cruise. Gone from $1600pp to $1199pp. just interesting to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hi Guys be great if I could get a bit of advice. Going on a cruise next summer for honeymoon and have the choice between an MSC Poesia or the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas.

The Ocean View room on the Poesia looks small and it comes in around the same price as an interior room on the Royal Caribbean cruise. I suppose what Im asking is has anyone any experience of both and which one would you go with? There seems to be more amenities on the Royal Caribean would this be right? We would obviously like an Ocean View room on that one but feel it is not worth the extra 1200 when the interior room actually looks bigger than the Ocean View room on the MSC Cruise.

Any help greatly appreciated :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I haven't been on MSC but I know a few people who have and liked it, however most of them prefer Royal Caribbean for the quality of the staff and the entertainment

I would choose RC over MSC any time. I think the ship/cruiseline you travel with is more important than the cabin type. I know that I've spoken about this in earlier posts and it might not be relevant to you , but have you considered booking online with a US agency at all? I know its a bit daunting if its your first cruise, but we have saved a fortune this way. We use a large reputable online agency. You pay your deposit and then the balance not due until about 2 months before sailing. You can pay it off in dribs and drabs if you like. Until this final date it is fully refundable and the big plus using US agency is if the rates come down before final payment date, you just phone them and your balance is reduced. You also usually get On Board Credit from the agency, to spend on board which you don't in Ireland. I've looked at June 13th S of S interior (Q) and its coming out at $2224.80 for two with an additional $125 on B credit. I don't know how this compares to Irish price. I know I'm harping on about this but its just that we've saved such a lot this way. BTW no affiliation to this or any other agency just experienced cruisers. You just keep an eye on prices on a well known site http://www.cruisefish.net/alert/new.md and if prices drop which they usually do, you just give the agency a call and they reduce. On our Christmas Cruise this year the price has dropped by about $600 for the cabin since we booked. If we booked here it would be just - tough. We are also getting paid gratuities ($160 odd) and OBC from the agent which you never do here. Just a suggestion and I do realise it took us a lot of cruises to venture out and use US agent but I'd love to see someone else benefiting. Anyway, Congrats on your upcoming wedding and you'll really enjoy cruising.

• Advertisement

I like both MSC and Royal Caribbean. The rooms aren't small, but personally I wouldn't bother with an ocean view room. They're just a window that doesn't open, so it's neither this nor that. I generally go for either an interior or a balcony. Most cabins are a decent enough size - you're not going to spend a huge amount of time just walking around your cabin ;)

RCI interior staterooms range from 132-164 square feet on the splendour, whereas the Poesia Oceanviews are around 170 square feet. They're probably just laid out differently/different angle photos etc. I wouldn't let size guide you, but think more about whether you really want a window.

Interior cabins are completely dark with the lights out (which is great for getting a lie in, or taking a nap) - I usually bring a small torch with me. The oceanview stateroom will have a window, usually behind the head of the bed. It doesn't open, and it's not something you can usually sit looking out of easily, so it's a bit of a waste for me (though you may disagree).

If I liked both itineraries and everything else, and it was just down to the room, I'd pick interior. If you're going around the Mediterranean, then MSC are cheaper for drinks packages, and have more light opera style entertainment. RCI are more expensive for drinks packages, and the entertainment veers more towards musicals/comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I have had a balcony room a couple of times with RC, but only because at the time of booking or due to offers, it was very close to the price of an interior room. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of money extra.
    Most of the time you will either be on deck, eating, drinking or on an offshore excursion, so you probably won't spend long in the room, then again I wasn't on honeymoon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

Hi Guys be great if I could get a bit of advice. Going on a cruise next summer for honeymoon and have the choice between an MSC Poesia or the Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas.

The Ocean View room on the Poesia looks small and it comes in around the same price as an interior room on the Royal Caribbean cruise. I suppose what Im asking is has anyone any experience of both and which one would you go with? There seems to be more amenities on the Royal Caribean would this be right? We would obviously like an Ocean View room on that one but feel it is not worth the extra 1200 when the interior room actually looks bigger than the Ocean View room on the MSC Cruise.

Any help greatly appreciated :o

Hi, we've cruised with both companies and in our opinion, RC is streets ahead of MSC. There's definitely more amenities on RC. You may be better off booking through an agent, as I discovered this week. We've just booked an Alaska cruise for next June, which includes flights from Dublin to Toronto, Toronto to Vancouver, 7 day Alaska cruise with Holland America (room with balcony), $200 on-board credit, return flights from Vancouver to Toronto & Toronto to Dublin. We got a price of €2220 p.p. from Trailfinders in Dublin, which includes gratuities. When they sent me the quote, I went online and priced the exact same flights & cruise etc. (thinking I could knock off a fair whack by cutting out the agent and doing it myself). Wrong. Booking it myself would have cost €2668 p.p. That's a saving of nearly €900 for the two of us. I was very surprised. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the travel agencies have some sort of deal with the airlines. They seem to always get very good flight prices.

We had an inside cabin on Splendour of the Seas this October out of Venice and it was fine. We didn't spend long in it.

spurious wrote: »
    I think the travel agencies have some sort of deal with the airlines. They seem to always get very good flight prices.

They definitely have. I was pleasantly surprised to discover this.

We had an inside cabin on Splendour of the Seas this October out of Venice and it was fine. We didn't spend long in it.

We did a cruise on Splendour in 2012, from Messina to Greece and Turkey. It was a smaller ship than most of RC's ones, I think. It was fab though. Like you said spurious, who spends time in their cabin? We just fell into it every night :) and up and away the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Do you have to pay full price on a cruise for a 2 year old?

If not what % of the price is usual. We wouldnt need any extra room or bed space for him.

kandoola wrote: »
    Do you have to pay full price on a cruise for a 2 year old?

If not what % of the price is usual. We wouldnt need any extra room or bed space for him.

It's not full price, but it's not a kid's price either. There's usually a "3rd person in the cabin" price, which is cheaper than the first two people. Sometimes there's "kids go free" promotions, but bear in mind they still have to provide food, and there's kids clubs and things like that. Tips ($10-$12 per person per day) and port taxes/fees still have to be paid for a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

Thoie wrote: »
    It's not full price, but it's not a kid's price either. There's usually a "3rd person in the cabin" price, which is cheaper than the first two people. Sometimes there's "kids go free" promotions, but bear in mind they still have to provide food, and there's kids clubs and things like that. Tips ($10-$12 per person per day) and port taxes/fees still have to be paid for a toddler.

I was just checking out a few and couldnt figure out why they charged so much for him.

We used to go on a couple of cruises every year until he was born, but looking at the prices now for a 2 year old I think our cruising career is over :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Has anyone here done a cruise to Alaska? We are looking at an alaska canada and new england glacier bay cruise on the Norwegian Sun for our honeymoon. It sounds amazing, whale watching etc but I would love any feedback! Thanks.

Has anyone here done a cruise to Alaska? We are looking at an alaska canada and new england glacier bay cruise on the Norwegian Sun for our honeymoon. It sounds amazing, whale watching etc but I would love any feedback! Thanks.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic way to spend your honeymoon. When are you going?

We've just booked an Alaska cruise in June with this company: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=A&voyageCode=N541

Got a good deal from Trailfinders in Dublin, a lot cheaper that doing it ourselves.

• Advertisement

maebee wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be a fantastic way to spend your honeymoon. When are you going?

We've just booked an Alaska cruise in June with this company: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=A&voyageCode=N541

Got a good deal from Trailfinders in Dublin, a lot cheaper that doing it ourselves.

that's brilliant, how did you decide on trailfinders? There seem to be so many companies and options! Not til 2017 unfortunately, just trying to put everything into the budget. I'd hope to be able to afford a decent room,maybe with a view if it's not too expensive!

that's brilliant, how did you decide on trailfinders? There seem to be so many companies and options! Not til 2017 unfortunately, just trying to put everything into the budget. I'd hope to be able to afford a decent room,maybe with a view if it's not too expensive!

A friend recommended them to me a few months ago. I asked them to quote me for flight Dub-Toronto (staying there a few days), flight Toronto - Vancouver (another few days there), cruise to Alaska, flight from Vancouver - Toronto, Toronto - Dublin. They came back with a quote of €2,200, which includes upgrade to Verandah stateroom on the cruise + $200 spending money onboard. All gratuities are included.

When I received their quote, I went online and priced the exact same flights and cruise (thinking I could do it cheaper myself). Wrong. It came to €2,650 :eek: I was very surprised. That's a massive saving of €900 for the 2 of us :)

Whoever you book with, check if gratuities are included as they can add a few hundred to your final bill.

This will be our 7th cruise. This one will be the first with Holland America. We've cruised with Royal Caribbean the most and couldn't find fault with them.

I heard the Travel guy on Newstalk last week saying that the prices of cruises have come way down and that they are quite affordable now.

Any other questions you have, ask away.

I've been looking through these cruises, thanks so much for recommending Trailfinders! The "Vancouver Stay and Alaska Cruise" looks absolutely perfect for us, it finishes in Seattle so I might even see if we could add on a few days there too (may as well go for broke!). One question which may be silly, I get sea sick on ferries like the sea cat or HSS, would a cruise ship be big enough to be stable-ish? I usually only get sea sick if it's very rocky. The ship looks quite big so fingers crossed! Also I see there is one formal night, but the rest looks casual enough (we're late twenties!). Thanks for your advice!

I've been looking through these cruises, thanks so much for recommending Trailfinders! The "Vancouver Stay and Alaska Cruise" looks absolutely perfect for us, it finishes in Seattle so I might even see if we could add on a few days there too (may as well go for broke!). One question which may be silly, I get sea sick on ferries like the sea cat or HSS, would a cruise ship be big enough to be stable-ish? I usually only get sea sick if it's very rocky. The ship looks quite big so fingers crossed! Also I see there is one formal night, but the rest looks casual enough (we're late twenties!). Thanks for your advice!

I've been through a force 11 on a cruise ship, and didn't see anyone being ill, and the dining room didn't look any emptier than usual :) It's possible all the unwell people were away in their cabins, but generally it's not an issue (walking in high heels when drunk and the ship is pitching in all 4 directions is a challenge though!).

I always get a prescription for some strong seasickness tablets before I go (just in case), but haven't ever had to use them.

Alaska and whale watching sounds wonderful. We came across a pod of whales completely by accident last year - they were a bit far away, but it was fantastic even still.

Formal nights can be fun, but if you don't want to dress up for some reason, there are usually alternative places to eat on Formal night where you can wear what you want.

Ours finishes in Vancouver but there are many that finish up in Seattle. I'm not sure when you're getting married but we were advised that mid June to mid July is the best time for Alaska - daylight up to 2/3 am. That will be strange :)

You won't have the sea-sickness problem on the cruise ship. You'd hardly know you were moving.

You don't have to do the formal night but I would recommend that you do, for your first cruise. It's something different. Really nice. We did it for the first few cruises but didn't bother for the last few. There will be plenty of other restaurants to dine in.

That's great to know thanks! Not getting married til Sept,but we didn't want to our honeymoon straight afterwards anyway,so we might do it. If following June and just do a mini holiday after the wedding. Have you decided on what tours etc you'll do? The ship looks amazing! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just booking a Royal Caribbean cruise. The drinks package works out as an extra €900 for the 2 of us so I don't think it is really worth it. Anybody experience of how expensive drinks are on-board?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Round about the 8 dollar mark, plus expected tip.
    I think you'd want to be a fairly serious daily drinker to make money on the alcohol package. Mind you, some people were certainly giving it a go.

We got the fresh juice, decent coffee, bottled water and non-alcoholic drinks package (Royal replenish) and we felt we got our money's worth. It included non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

The alcoholic cocktails that we paid for certainly had a good lash of drink in them.

See some prices here: http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-2014-drink-lists/

Just booking a Royal Caribbean cruise. The drinks package works out as an extra €900 for the 2 of us so I don't think it is really worth it. Anybody experience of how expensive drinks are on-board?

Yea, the drinks package on RC is quite expensive. On our last few cruises we "forgot" to take our bottles of duty free Smirnoff & Jameson out of our suitcases when we boarded and they weren't taken off us :). Also, one of our party bought a bottle of vodka onshore in one of the stops and he poured it into his Ballygowan water bottle which went through the scanner, no probs when he re-boarded. :D

• Advertisement

Not getting married til Sept,but we didn't want to our honeymoon straight afterwards anyway,so we might do it. If following June and just do a mini holiday after the wedding. Have you decided on what tours etc you'll do? The ship looks amazing! Thanks again!

Sounds great. I'll let you know all about it in July :)

Haven't even looked at the tours yet. We only ever did 2 or 3 of them as they're quite expensive. We did them for Pompeii and St. Petersburg, which were well worth the money.

Advertisement