Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an apartment in Dublin, am I mad?

Options
  • 04-01-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm here looking for some advice, i really need to get my own place , i have been thinking about buying for the past two years now and have finally been approved for a mortgage.

Right now i am currently living with a relative but i need my own place asap and don't want to rent, i have put a bid in( 180k) which has been accepted for a two bed apartment in Dublin.

The apartment is 5 minutes drive from my job, has it's own entrance, gated community and about 15 minutes drive to the airport

I just need advice, should i go ahead with the purchase or wait it out and maybe save for a house/wait for prices to drop?? I don't mind apartments at all , so any advice is welcome

Current situation

Male, 25 years old, single

Income : 28 k

Deposit : 108k ( my father died and left me 28k he didn't have property just had that in the will, the rest i saved myself )

Mortgage : I'm borrowing 78k

Any response is much appreciated

Regards

Jeremy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I say go for it a 78 k mortgage is going to be much less in repayments than rent. If you were to rent you could be throwing that money away and have nothing to show for it. I'm no expert but It's hard to see a downside. If the location suits and you like the apartment go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

If you were to rent you could be throwing that money away and have nothing to show for it.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

yes go for it, they won't go down, they may only just stop rising so quickly, it is a very small mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you rent out the other room. You probably get €500 minimum per month for the share room tax free(maybe €600-750 if its a good development). That will cover a fair chunk of your mortgage in a month. Where as you continue to rent. There is no tax write off like mortgage interest repayment tax relief.

I would buy the place. It makes more financial sense than renting. You are 25 and dont need a massive house for yourself yet. I would suggest you pay off the mortgage ASAP, as there is no point saving with interest rates so low at the moment. Dont forgot you can reclaim some of the DIRT you have paid on your savings. I would pay off the mortgage, than save for upsizing in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Be warned, gated community usually means high management fees, those gates cost a fortune to maintain. You need to factor those fees in to help work out how much it will cost you each month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

athtrasna wrote: »
    Be warned, gated community usually means high management fees, those gates cost a fortune to maintain. You need to factor those fees in to help work out how much it will cost you each month

Sorry i forgot to add the maintenace fee is 1024 pa

I knew someone who rented there for 4 years , said it was very well kept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Jeremyr wrote: »
    Sorry i forgot to add the maintenace fee is 1024 pa

I knew someone who rented there for 4 years , said it was very well kept

Maintenance fee can't be fixed I'm afraid. Things like insurance, electricity all vary year on year. Add in big jobs like repainting or motor issues with the gates and your fees will increase. Be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 21 backslapper

Go for it pal - no brainer

feck the usual doom-mongers frequenting this site

athtrasna wrote: »
    Maintenance fee can't be fixed I'm afraid. Things like insurance, electricity all vary year on year. Add in big jobs like repainting or motor issues with the gates and your fees will increase. Be prepared

To be honest outside work and training i'm a very lazy person so i think an apartment would suit me more as with a house i'd have to do alot of maintenance myself and i don't like D.I.Y i'd rather pay someone to fix it as i'm useless at DIY

I would have no problem paying the maintenance fees

Go for it pal - no brainer

feck the usual doom-mongers frequenting this site

Thanks mate

I mentioned it to someone the other day who is 28 still living at home ( not that there is anything wrong with that) but the fact that his reply was "ah don't get an apartment it's a waste of money only idiots would get an apartment ,houses are much better "

*** eyes rolled to heaven ***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Hi All,

I'm here looking for some advice, i really need to get my own place , i have been thinking about buying for the past two years now and have finally been approved for a mortgage.

Right now i am currently living with a relative but i need my own place asap and don't want to rent, i have put a bid in( 180k) which has been accepted for a two bed apartment in Dublin.

The apartment is 5 minutes drive from my job, has it's own entrance, gated community and about 15 minutes drive to the airport

I just need advice, should i go ahead with the purchase or wait it out and maybe save for a house/wait for prices to drop?? I don't mind apartments at all , so any advice is welcome

Current situation

Male, 25 years old, single

Income : 28 k

Deposit : 108k ( my father died and left me 28k he didn't have property just had that in the will, the rest i saved myself )

Mortgage : I'm borrowing 78k

Any response is much appreciated

Regards

Jeremy

When working out costs don't forget to keep some money for furniture / appliances

matrim wrote: »
    When working out costs don't forget to keep some money for furniture / appliances

Will do

hfallada wrote: »
    If you rent out the other room. You probably get €500 minimum per month for the share room tax free(maybe €600-750 if its a good development). That will cover a fair chunk of your mortgage in a month. Where as you continue to rent. There is no tax write off like mortgage interest repayment tax relief.

I would buy the place. It makes more financial sense than renting. You are 25 and dont need a massive house for yourself yet. I would suggest you pay off the mortgage ASAP, as there is no point saving with interest rates so low at the moment. Dont forgot you can reclaim some of the DIRT you have paid on your savings. I would pay off the mortgage, than save for upsizing in the future.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Fare play on buying a place at 25 ! That is fare going.

How on earth did you save 80k ?

How long have you being saving?

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Where in Dublin is it?

Is it spacious and is there room for your junk? In my apartment we barely have room for the hoover. What are the possibilities for drying clothes? We are not allowed dry ours on the balcony. Have you a balcony? Do you need a balcony?

syklops wrote: »
    Where in Dublin is it?

Is it spacious and is there room for your junk? In my apartment we barely have room for the hoover. What are the possibilities for drying clothes? We are not allowed dry ours on the balcony. Have you a balcony? Do you need a balcony?

It's ground floor , it's got a small garden

Being honest i'm not fussed for space at the moment i'm 25 and single

Maybe when i'm 35 and hopefully on more money i'll look into something bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my opinion, apartments are only suitable as rental accommodation.
    Even after you have 'bought' an apartment, you don't own or have control over anything. The walls, roof etc are not yours and you are at the mercy of a management company at all times.
    There is alot to be said for buying a house on its own site even if it is in an estate.

Also, I'd borrow alittle more and keep perhaps the 28k in cash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Personally I would rather rent than buy an apartment.

If at 25 you've saved 80k then i would say keep going as you are. When you're 30 you'll have a lot more saved and have a better idea of what you want.

I personally think you're letting your current situation (living with a relative) effect your decision too much. Why don't you want to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

seems like a decent price

the morgage repayments should be doable. management fees seem ok. make sure to go to managment comittee meetings if you buy

questions: How close to a decent pub? nightlink? Shopping for gorceries?

Whats the area like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭fire_man

How did you manage to save 100k on 28k per year?That's some going.

• Advertisement

Personally I would rather rent than buy an apartment.

If at 25 you've saved 80k then i would say keep going as you are. When you're 30 you'll have a lot more saved and have a better idea of what you want.

I personally think you're letting your current situation (living with a relative) effect your decision too much. Why don't you want to rent?

I need somewhere to live don't i??

I won't be able to save anything if i rent with the way rental prices are now

fire_man wrote: »
    How did you manage to save 100k on 28k per year?That's some going.

I was on alot more in my old job, was made redundant, then worked overseas for about 2 years straight in a decent job that paid for my food and acc

sheesh wrote: »
    seems like a decent price

the morgage repayments should be doable. management fees seem ok. make sure to go to managment comittee meetings if you buy

questions: How close to a decent pub? nightlink? Shopping for gorceries?

Whats the area like ?

pub is 2 minute walk

Bus stop is around the corner

Train station is a 5 minute walk

And my job is a 5 minute drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

pub is 2 minute walk

sounds like a property that could be sold or rented in the future. seems like a reasonable thing to do. A friend of mine did something similar at that age and it worked out well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

How long will the Mortgage be?

I need somewhere to live don't i??

I won't be able to save anything if i rent with the way rental prices are now

Don't be so precious, I'm just giving you my opinion, which you asked for when starting this thread. Most normal people aren't privileged enough to be allowed live rent free into their mid-twenties. It's not like I'm suggesting you sleep on a park bench FFS.

It's clear you're not looking for opinions that don't reinforce what you want to do, so I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Being honest i'm not fussed for space at the moment i'm 25 and single

Space is like money. It becomes an issue when you don't have any. I'm not suggesting you need a library and a den, but a few wardrobes and closets, and is there somewhere to put the hoover?

pub is 2 minute walk

Sounds like your mind is made up, why the need to mention the location of the bus stop and train station when you drive.

Don't be so precious, I'm just giving you my opinion, which you asked for when starting this thread. Most normal people aren't privileged enough to be allowed live rent free into their mid-twenties. It's not like I'm suggesting you sleep on a park bench FFS.

It's clear you're not looking for opinions that don't reinforce what you want to do, so I'm out.

Well in my opening post i stated that i need somewhere to live and i'm not looking to rent as the rental prices are mad !

Who said i'm living rent free?? I'm living with a relative ,still paying rent just not nowhere near as high as i would if went out and rented an apartment for myself

You just sound like a doom gloomer begrudger to me everyone else has offered decent advice

syklops wrote: »
    Space is like money. It becomes an issue when you don't have any. I'm not suggesting you need a library and a den, but a few wardrobes and closets, and is there somewhere to put the hoover?

Sounds like your mind is made up, why the need to mention the location of the bus stop and train station when you drive.

Just incase i may need to rent it out in the future and the tenant doesn't own a car

• Advertisement

You just sound like a doom gloomer begrudger to me everyone else has offered decent advice

You asked if you should buy an apartment, i simply answered, so think what you like.

Advertisement