Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinicaly dead pregnant woman on life support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Call me Al wrote: »
    Well maybe have a look at pages 8,9 and 10. And I've only got as far as page 10, so you might like to take it from there.

Theyre not quite as extreme as our page 6 poster but very entrenched nonetheless. So while these fundamentalists may be the in the minority they are an extremely vocal minority and aren't as small in number so you might think.

And I believe they have a disproportionate influence on the status quo as it stands.

Unfortunately, yes you are correct, it is the loudest, most aggressive, most inflaming comments that we tend to remember.
    However there have been some quite nasty comments from the pro choice posters directed at what I certainly consider respectful pro life posters , thankfully this seems to have been noted by the mods.

I do not entertain disrespectful, inflaming comments from either side of this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Strazdas wrote: »
    The legislators should not be taking their cue from right wing religious fanatics. In every other country in Europe, conservative extremist cranks would simply be (and have been) completely ignored.
    I've been listening to the BBC report on the finding all afternoon, and I can only repeat my very first comment on this thread, on the first page :
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Jesus. Another shame for us to bear
    Quite a few disagreed with me then. I'd say there won't be as many ready to stand up now and repeat themselves.

blacklilly wrote: »
    I believe the medical profession involved in this case required legal clarification on this matter and that was perhaps due to part to the 8th amendment. Legal clarification is required by the medical profession on many many medical situations and that is because it is impossible for our constitution or legislation to cover every possible medical situation.

I'm genuinely not here to argue with any poster on this matter. I respect that you are entitled to your opinion in respect of this issue but I would ask that you also respect the fact that others will have differing opinions to you.

I don't think I've been disrespectful to anyone, but I refuse to respect opinions I find unacceptable. Should I (pretend to) respect racists' opinions too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

conorh91 wrote: »
    How, on the one hand, can you be saying that she has a right to dignity in death, whilst simultaneously claiming that corpses have no rights?

Are you claiming that the woman is alive?
    Are you being intentionally obtuse or do you genuinely not get this. The woman was brain dead, and had been from early December. The medical team were providing somatic support, they were, to the extent that they could, keeping the body 'alive'. You will find several references in the judgement to 'allowing the woman to die'. Seriously, do you really not get this? Really?
    The woman does not come into it since, tragically, she died early this month.

The relevant personalities are the family of the dead woman, and the unborn.
    No. Her brain died earlier this month, her body was being kept alive, with limited and diminishing success, due to legal uncertainty due to the 8th.
    I found it strange that the Court dwelled in a number of places on the medical doctors' beliefs about what is ethical and what is not; that was for the Court alone to decide.
    You find it odd that the court would listen to experts in a particular area and use their opinion, or evidence as it is frequently called, to inform their judgement??? Interesting...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

This case was like a frankenstein movie. Horrible time for her family having to watch their loved one turn into something unrecognisible as their daughter. This country should hang it's head in shame for putting them through this ordeal.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've been disrespectful to anyone, but I refuse to respect opinions I find unacceptable. Should I (pretend to) respect racists' opinions too?

Sorry, I'm a bit tired and that last line wasn't directly towards you necessarily.

If you are trying to compare a racists to a person who is pro life, that in itself is disrespectful. None of my opinions are/views are criminal in nature.

I'm not asking you to respect my/others opinions, I'm asking that you respect the right for me/others to have differing opinions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

lazygal wrote: »
    Doctors don't face a 14 year sentence in most clinical cases and several obstetricians have said the law has an effect on what in other countries is normal clinical practice. When I'm pregnant I don't want doctors consulting the constitution, I want them to treat me in a manner that means I have the best possible outcome.

But you're just a woman.

Who cares what you want.

(The way some people actually feel about these issues but won't actually say it).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

But you're just a woman.

Who cares what you want.

(The way some people actually feel about these issues but won't actually say it).

Well the high court found a 14 year old pregnant rape victim had to continue to gestate her rapist's foetus as her feelings didn't matter so nothing surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well the high court found a 14 year old pregnant rape victim had to continue to gestate her rapist's foetus as her feelings didn't matter so nothing surprises me.

The issue exposes the attitudes some people have for women.

They couldn't give a toss about them.

(I actually think that some of them aren't aware of their own backward attitude).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

(I actually think that some of them aren't aware of their own backward attitude).

It's the same attitude that cares so much for those who are unborn but rail against supporting single parents who care for the born and who would ban contraception and bring back the shameful mother and baby home system so childless couples can have the babies they deserve because they are married.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I'm a bit tired and that last line wasn't directly towards you necessarily.

If you are trying to compare a racists to a person who is pro life, that in itself is disrespectful. None of my opinions are/views are criminal in nature.

I'm not asking you to respect my/others opinions, I'm asking that you respect the right for me/others to have differing opinions to you.

I'm not comparing them, I'm asking why I should have to respect someone's opinion when I find that opinion to be completely unacceptable.

And respecting someone's right to hold an opinion doesn't mean pretending to think the opinion is of equal value to other opinions, it only means not punishing people for their thoughts rather than their actions.

So I can respect your right to hold an opinion while telling you that I find that opinion disgusting and not worth respecting.

So I can respect your right to hold an opinion while telling you that I find that opinion disgusting and not worth respecting.

Yes and likewise

Yes and likewise

So go ahead then, tell me why you think I was wrong and disgusting to say that we should probably listen to the bereaved family, and not presume to know better than they did?

And I'll tell you why I don't respect opinions like the poster who told me my views were twisted and that anyone thinking differently from him was a vulture :
    conorhal wrote: »
    That's just a twisted comment. How do you know the wishes of the woman in question, perhaps she desperately wanted this child?

This case will really show the proborts for what they are, murderous to meet their agenda.
    This isn't about a woman's rights, she's brain dead. This is all about the proborts looking to kill a healthy baby to establish a principle that killing the unborn is permissable. Hopefully peoples eye's will be opened by such a horrible position and they will think a little more deeply about the 8th ammendment and the protection it offers from such vultures.

Oh, and he got several likes for that too.

Should I respect those views about me?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I wouldn't engage with anyone who uses terms such as proaborts when it comes to a decomposing corpse housing a unviable fetus.

there is levels, and lines, and that crosses all lines of sanity. it is beyond trolling. it is beyond sensical debate.
    Honestly, don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's not just women these people have a problem with though. They have a cast iron opinion on everything due to the fact that they can't keep their noses out of other people's business.

They actually feel they have a right to tell people how to live their lives and see nothing wrong with this.

The World to them is black and white. There can be no middle ground as their beliefs trump all others.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

So go ahead then, tell me why you think I was wrong and disgusting to say that we should probably listen to the bereaved family, and not presume to know better than they did?

And I'll tell you why I don't respect opinions like the poster who told me my views were twisted and that anyone thinking differently from him was a vulture :

Oh, and he got several likes for that too.

Should I respect those views about me?

Hold on a second, why are you being so aggressive? Not once has my tone been aggressive towards you or any other poster for that matter so your anger is misdirected.

As I have already said I do not engage or tolerate any poster (regardless of
    which side of the fence they sit) if they are being disrespectful or inflaming. I will not engage concerning what another poster said to you.

Also if you read my posts on the matter, I have been in agreement with the deceased' stomatic support being turned off all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

It's also quite ironic that bible bashers don't mind playing god in cases like this.

Hold on a second, why are you being so aggressive? Not once has my tone been aggressive towards you or any other poster for that matter so your anger is misdirected.

As I have already said I do not engage or tolerate any poster (regardless of
    which side of the fence they sit) if they are being disrespectful or inflaming. I will not engage concerning what another poster said to you.

Also if you read my posts on the matter, I have been in agreement with the deceased' stomatic support being turned off all along.

Look it's late. I didn't mean it be aggressive to you, just explaining why when you continue to insist that I should somehow let other posters have different views (how would I stop them anyway?) I read that as you saying I shouldn't really say I disagree. And I disagree with that. Strongly.

But I'm not getting at you, really I'm not. Just explaining why I disagree! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JRant wrote: »
    It's not just women these people have a problem with though. They have a cast iron opinion on everything due to the fact that they can't keep their noses out of other people's business.

They actually feel they have a right to tell people how to live their lives and see nothing wrong with this.

The World to them is black and white. There can be no middle ground as their beliefs trump all others.

The key point is that these cranks and fanatics would be dismissed out of hand in any other country. It has somehow come to pass that Irish society has actually been listening to them and treating their nutty opinions as being perfectly valid and rational (some form of hangover from our repressive Catholic past I presume).

Look it's late. I didn't mean it be aggressive to you, just explaining why when you continue to insist that I should somehow let other posters have different views (how would I stop them anyway?) I read that as you saying I shouldn't really say I disagree. And I disagree with that. Strongly.

But I'm not getting at you, really I'm not. Just explaining why I disagree! ;)

Ok and I understand that. If I was you, that post you quoted would infuriate me also.

I wasn't directing my posts merely at you, I meant it generally and to both sides. I would consider some posts on this thread trolling or at least very close to trolling and imo it's best to ignore them, even though I know it's difficult sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Strazdas wrote: »
    The key point is that these cranks and fanatics would be dismissed out of hand in any other country. It has somehow come to pass that Irish society has actually been listening to them and treating their nutty opinions as being perfectly valid and rational (some form of hangover from our repressive Catholic past I presume).

And they're still being listened too unfortunately. If we had a vote on repealing the 8th tomorrow it would more than likely be defeated IMO. The grey vote would be out in force.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's the same attitude that cares so much for those who are unborn but rail against supporting single parents who care for the born and who would ban contraception and bring back the shameful mother and baby home system so childless couples can have the babies they deserve because they are married.

You also forgot who tend to be of a strong religious bent but then want to turn around and case of playing God to an horrific extent such as this case.

Not referring to all pro life people of course, but in an example like this case it should never have even been a discussion about whether or not to keep the machines on. Even if the child were somehow born healthy, imagine the incredible trauma of knowing that is how you spent your nine months in the "womb".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes, it is. Defeating an argument in a debate is how you reach conclusion. The pro-life brigade fúcked off or started back-peddling as soon as doctor described the brain as "liquifying" and the foetus would not stand a chance.

Yes, it is. It's worth less if it's the wrong opinion.

What if their views are racist or if a mother believes she should disown her son because he gay?

Until the next because of this bad law we have in our constitution. This law killed Savita Halappanavar and it will continue to kill in the future if it's not repealed.

That's the fault of the pro-life brigade, not us.

I don't agree with your opinions.
    For example in your last comment it is like you haven't read this thread as prochoice have been using this case for their own means, repeal the 8th is what prochoice have been arguing in this thread, which seemed to be more important to prochoice more so than than the right to a dignified death.
    This can be seen with how Savita has been brought into this when she had nothing to do with this case and then when it was it was done with most of the facts like basic health care not provided as in the HIQU report.
    Why not just accuse both sides of the debate rather than choosing to see the people you disagree with.
    Your post showed how you accused prolife but in the same post you used this and another case for prochoice purposes.
    Just accuse both sides and I think people will see the honesty in the debate rather than half truths with the purpose of point scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I'm not particularly religious at all (mass on Christmas Day type of person) and I suppose I'm pro life to a certain extent in that I don't agree on abortion on demand simply because a person changes their mind. I do believe there are grounds for it in certain circumstances though.

This particular case to me though seems pretty clear cut. The woman is dead and the foetus has over 22 weeks left to grow. If there is a God then surely he/she made the decision that the woman was to die and hence the foetus too was going to die. The natural outcome here is that both were going to die and in my opinion nature should have been allowed take its course from day 1, particularly if the family (next of kin) had those wishes.

Just want to add that I can only imagine how distressing all of this is for the family of this woman and I hope they now have time to grieve

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't agree with your opinions.
    For example in your last comment it is like you haven't read this thread as prochoice have been using this case for their own means, repeal the 8th is what prochoice have been arguing in this thread, which seemed to be more important to prochoice more so than than the right to a dignified death.
    This can be seen with how Savita has been brought into this when she had nothing to do with this case and then when it was it was done with most of the facts like basic health care not provided as in the HIQU report.
    Why not just accuse both sides of the debate rather than choosing to see the people you disagree with.
    Your post showed how you accused prolife but in the same post you used this and another case for prochoice purposes.
    Just accuse both sides and I think people will see the honesty in the debate rather than half truths with the purpose of point scoring.

That's an amazing post, truly a classic in its projection onto others of its own failings!

Pro-choice, as you call them, have been saying in this thread that the 8th was the cause of this issue because it was. The court judgment accepted that!

Some people also mentioned dignity in death - but that isn't written in law anywhere, and is to some extent a new precedent set by the court's ruling in order to get around the problem posed by the 8th when a pregnant woman is brain dead.

You've done the same with Savita - her death was also caused by the 8th, since the failures in care etc just follow on from the initial refusal to let her have a termination even though she was miscarrying anyway. It happens all the time in Irish hospitals you know, it's just that fortunately the woman usually doesn't die. Although we've seen how nearly the HSE managed to cover her death up, so there may well have been other deaths too.

Out of interest, exactly what action was needed to prevent her death? Following up on blood tests doesn't count, that never cured anyone if anything, it only tells the staff what needs to be done. So go on - what needed to be done?

Pointing all this out is just pointing out the facts - not using the thread for any dishonest purposes.

Whereas pretending that it has nothing to do with the 8th amendment - well, that would be dishonest. Very dishonest.

That's an amazing post, truly a classic in its projection onto others of its own failings!

Pro-choice, as you call them, have been saying in this thread that the 8th was the cause of this issue because it was. The court judgment accepted that!

Some people also mentioned dignity in death - but that isn't written in law anywhere, and is to some extent a new precedent set by the court's ruling in order to get around the problem posed by the 8th when a pregnant woman is brain dead.

You've done the same with Savita - her death was also caused by the 8th, since the failures in care etc just follow on from the initial refusal to let her have a termination even though she was miscarrying anyway. It happens all the time in Irish hospitals you know, it's just that fortunately the woman usually doesn't die. Although we've seen how nearly the HSE managed to cover her death up, so there may well have been other deaths too.

Out of interest, exactly what action was needed to prevent her death? Following up on blood tests doesn't count, that never cured anyone if anything, it only tells the staff what needs to be done. So go on - what needed to be done?

Pointing all this out is just pointing out the facts - not using the thread for any dishonest purposes.

Whereas pretending that it has nothing to do with the 8th amendment - well, that would be dishonest. Very dishonest.

It is very dishonest of people to blame prolife for using this woman when your post proves my point.
    Just blame both sides as you have used this case and Savita as well for the prochoice argument.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is very dishonest of people to blame prolife for using this woman when your post proves my point.
    Just blame both sides as you have used this case and Savita as well for the prochoice argument.

Repeating yourself doesn't make you right. The court said that the doctors acted because of fears about the extent of the 8th amendment - were they trying to exploit this for "prochoice" reasons in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

So delighted the judges did the right thing in this case but sad that it took so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

The eighth amendment is a disaster for doctors. These decisions should be based on medical concerns, not on legal ones.

My thoughts are with that poor family. I would not want this for my wife, my sister or in the future for my daughter.

40.3.3 is the problem. A zygote or foetus should not have equal rights to a fully self sustaining woman. Viability has to be taken into account.

Too many weak politicians more concerned with seats than doing what is right.

• Advertisement

Repeating yourself doesn't make you right. The court said that the doctors acted because of fears about the extent of the 8th amendment - were they trying to exploit this for "prochoice" reasons in your opinion?

So were their fears justified so you can say the 8th amendment applied?

It was clear she was dead. It would be like a car accident and the driver was over the alcohol limit and he crashes into another car killing themselves and the driver of the other car, and the guards arresting the dead person to charge the dead driver with the death of the other driver and driving over the alcohol limit.
    You don't apply law to dead people. The hospital applied law to a dead person, it was clear the high court was going to say turn off the machines for dignity in death.
    People who used the 8th amendment in the first place and applied it were proven wrong.
    So we have people here using something applied wrongly as if it was used correctly to argue it should be removed.
    Yes if the ruling had been the machines stay running, then you would have an argument. You can't use something applied wrongly to argue the fears were justified and the 8th amendment was the problem, when it was very poor judgment that was the problem.
    This moves the issue to what it was about which is dignity in death and how law doesn't apply to dead people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement