Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf club membership cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Up on facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

millerj wrote: »
    This seems like a good deal. Where was this advertised?

Thing is you're back to the 1300 sub after one year plus there is probably a bar levy on top of that. Maybe its because they have so many older members on a reduction but that sub is simply too high IMO for a course that is not well drained.

Thats why Douglas took in so many new members this year; Aging membership, somebody told me approx only 50% of members there were paying full sub. Monkstown has the same problem.

elgenerale wrote: »
    Thing is you're back to the 1300 sub after one year

Apologies, just learnt its a graduated increase over a few years so thats better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

If anyone knows of any distance memberships going around Cork City for next year please let me know
    Was a member of Raffeen Creek this year but wouldn't mind someplace a bit longer for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

alxmorgan wrote: »
    If anyone knows of any distance memberships going around Cork City for next year please let me know
    Was a member of Raffeen Creek this year but wouldn't mind someplace a bit longer for next year.

Mitchelstown €295 for over 70km distance membership. Reasonably close to the city with the motorway and always one of my favourite courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

MrRight1 wrote: »

Will they actually have internal club competitions in waterrock or is it that they'll provide you with the handicap and when they refer to competitions in the article they mean opens,etc.

Interesting move really, good to see a club trying something different. My guess is it will do well with those that play once a month or so. Anyone who plays every week probably not as popular

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good to see Cork getting an option like this, the article puts some amount of spin on it.... its hardly groundbreaking

It's a pay and play model, one that us lads in Dublin have had the option for some yesrs!

Great to see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

PARlance wrote: »
    Good to see Cork getting an option like this, the article puts some amount of spin on it.... its hardly groundbreaking

It's a pay and play model, one that us lads in Dublin have had the option for some yesrs!

Great to see it though.

How exactly does the dublin model work? Is there weekly competitions that qualify for handicap adjustments? The article is a bit sketchy and there is nothing on their website or facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

How exactly does the dublin model work? Is there weekly competitions that qualify for handicap adjustments? The article is a bit sketchy and there is nothing on their website or facebook.

Quite a few clubs in Dublin offer this model (assuming it is the same, can't see anything in the article to see why it isn't)

Basically, you are a full member, but you are getting to be one by a cheaper up front cost and then paying reduced green fees as you go.
    You have all the privileges that you would normally have.

Eg
    Option 1: You can pay €750 and never have to pay a green fee.
    Option 2: You pay €350 and then pay reduced greens fees each time you play.

Assuming the reduced green fee is €20, then there's 20 rounds * €20 = €400 in the difference between the two options.
    If you're playing less than 20, option 2 is the way to go.

There is no difference in terms of membership between either option. You get to play in all the weekly comps, team events etc.

The major drawback is that you can't go out and play 4-5 holes in a evening if your practising... unless you pay for a round or nine holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

HB2002 wrote: »
    I believe the new membership is limited to 50, not sure if that is true or not.

I believe they have accepted 106 new members this week.

tax_tutor1 wrote: »
    Don't believe that this is correct, they will take what they get!
    For anyone considering Monkstown Timesheets are not difficult to get on due to membership losses for the last number of years.

Considering the club doesn't do timesheets at weekends, that might be true. You just turn up and your fixed up with available groups. But if your on your own and threeball after threeball turn up, you can be waiting for a while alright I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

bailey99 wrote: »
    Considering the club doesn't do timesheets at weekends, that might be true. You just turn up and your fixed up with available groups. But if your on your own and threeball after threeball turn up, you can be waiting for a while alright I suppose.

Up until a few months ago, timesheets in Monkstown were being used only for big competitions and team events. That has changed now though - it's timesheets every Saturday and Sunday for the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There has been a lot of talk about Fota here so I thought it would be best to post this question here rather than start a new thread.

My missus and I are heading for Fota for a few nights mid week at the end of November, and I am hoping to get a round in on the Deerpark course.

I am aiming to play on either Tuesday or Wednesday morning, depending on the weather. I am hoping to to play by myself as a single - does anyone know if this would be possible on those days or will I be stuck into another group?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

I have actually applied to join Douglas this year.
    My mate joined last year and loves the place. I have played with him loads there so applied a few weeks ago

know a few guys that have joined Monkstown, but that place not my cup of tea really

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    There has been a lot of talk about Fota here so I thought it would be best to post this question here rather than start a new thread.

My missus and I are heading for Fota for a few nights mid week at the end of November, and I am hoping to get a round in on the Deerpark course.

I am aiming to play on either Tuesday or Wednesday morning, depending on the weather. I am hoping to to play by myself as a single - does anyone know if this would be possible on those days or will I be stuck into another group?

Thanks.

Hi Ronnie,

Depending on the time you should be grand on those days - its fairly quiet midweek most times - only issue is you could get caught behind a few slow 4-balls.

You just need to check with the pro-shop which course is in play - with the 27 holes they usually rest 9 during the week for the winter period.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Just heard that the members of Frankfield got an email at the weekend that the course is closing permanently from January 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Dbu wrote:
    I have actually applied to join Douglas this year. My mate joined last year and loves the place. I have played with him loads there so applied a few weeks ago

Only 25 new members being taken in for 2015 according to a member I know.

I think that was the total number that applied (maybe wrong though). Will know by next week I'm told
    Actually surprised that that many applied, considering the deals in Muskerry and Monkstown.

Tweaky wrote: »
    Just heard that the members of Frankfield got an email at the weekend that the course is closing permanently from January 1st.

The course is closing and they're installing a short game area similar to Fota's.
    The range is one of the busiest in Ireland and the bar will be staying open.
    The rest of the land will probably eventually be sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Ah well. Not really a loss IMO. I always thought that it had the potential to be a PAUG par 3 course. say 9 par 3's or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

they're installing a short game area similar to Fota's.

That would be a great addition.
    The range is one of the busiest in Ireland and the bar will be staying open.

Good news about the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Ah well. Not really a loss IMO. I always thought that it had the potential to be a PAUG par 3 course. say 9 par 3's or something.[/quote

In theory it is a loss, we need affordable feeder / starter clubs for those getting in to the game, especially in the city. That said It was so hilly and uncomfortable to play I wonder if it put people off.

They did seem to have a great club spirit there for many years however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

They did well in a lot of the inter club competitions. Wonder what club will benefit from getting those who will be joing new clubs

big_drive wrote: »
    They did well in a lot of the inter club competitions. Wonder what club will benefit from getting those who will be joing new clubs

A Tipperary club perhaps;)

some great deals around cork in fairness next year. Lots of clubs around and under the 800 euro mark.

Kinsale, Cobh, Muskerry, Blarney, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Mallow, Macroom.

Great deals to for clubs within an hour of the tunnel, like West Waterford, Gold Coast, Dungarvan, Cahir Park, Ballykisteen, Thurles, Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

bailey99 wrote: »
    some great deals around cork in fairness next year. Lots of clubs around and under the 800 euro mark.

Kinsale, Cobh, Muskerry, Blarney, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Mallow, Macroom.

Great deals to for clubs within an hour of the tunnel, like West Waterford, Gold Coast, Dungarvan, Cahir Park, Ballykisteen, Thurles, Dundrum.

Bailey, you forgot to add Slievenamon. Travelling from Cork myself and going into my third year at the club. Really friendly people. I will put in a word for you with Brendan and Louise and I am sure we can squeeze you in......ha ha! possibly the best €135 you will ever spend...... I might even sign your card! Suppose a car pool from Cork is out of the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

Theres an almighty wiff of snobbery associated with this debate . Golf is no longer the preserve of the professional elite - its now a game for all and its only because of this that many clubs are still open . If the scorned upon "distance" members didn't go and play open comps then im sure there would be manys the timesheet looking pretty blank in most clubs open days .

This idea that you have to be a full member of a well regarded club to be viewed upon with anything other than scorn is just pathetic , why pay €800+ for something when you can get the same results spending €200ish to a smaller club who would be well glad of your custom. Sure there are bandits but thats just human nature - greed is a deadly sin isnt it ? Its very unfair and snobbish to look down your nose and condemn somebody just because they have joined one of these clubs.

And lastly is finding a bargain and saving a few bob ok in every walk of life except golf ? Down from the lofty pedestal lads - its just a passtime .

T

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Well said sir, golf is potentially the healthiest pastime of all, a game you can play right up to the twilight years of your life and one that connects us to so many other people, it is these multiple social connections throughout our lives to adds greatly to our welbeing. IMO that is the one of the main reasons that golf clubs memberships average age is rising it is so damn healthy both physically and mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The course is closing and they're installing a short game area similar to Fota's.

That could do very, very well ;)

Advertisement