Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandy Hook familes sue...well, pretty much everyone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

People comparing guns to cars are so entrenched in their own gun fetish that they can't see the gaping holes in their logic.

In the 20th century there absolutely were a load of shenanigans by the car industry to promote their product and influence governments to favour the private car over other modes of transport, but at the moment, the motor industry is heavily regulated, the safety and emmissions standards applied to car manufacturing are getting more stringent every year, taxes on fuels are increasing and there are legal responsibiities on car manufacturers to ensure that the products they sell are maximally safe for the end users (hence the multiple product recalls that every large manufacturer has to go through to fix safety issues with their cars)

As well as this, most developed countries are increasing restrictions on the ownership and use of cars. Drink driving limits are reducing, taxes on fuels are increasing, there are compulsary vehicle safety checks, more stringent speed checks, penalty points for a wide variety of offences.

States and car manufacturers are doing everything practical to make car use and ownership as safe as possible.

On the other hand we have gun manufacturers who are manufacturing and selling products with the sole purpose of being as dangerous as possible. Where the manufacturers are extremely active in lobbying to prevent the introductions of regulations and safety measures to reduce the risks associated with gun ownership

Where other than America are fully automatic weapons sold as recreational items to the general public? This is almost entirely down to the NRA and other arms industry lobby groups who have spent generations and billions of dollars on PR and political donations

In the civilised world, if a disgruntled employee or an alienated teenager wants to go on a shooting spree, they would need months or years of preparation and would raise all kinds of red flags in the meantime. In parts of the U.S. all they have to do is go down to 'a private seller' where they can buy pretty much anything they like without restriction or any licensing requirement. 40% of gun sales are done privately in America (many of them illegal).

The sale of firearms illegally is far far easier because firearms don't need to be registered or licensed in the U.S. and any proposals to intruduce registration or licensing are fought tooth and nail by the industry lobby groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Akrasia wrote: »
    Where other than America are fully automatic weapons sold as recreational items to the general public?

What state are fully automatic weapons sold legally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Where other than America are fully automatic weapons sold as recreational items to the general public? This is almost entirely down to the NRA and other arms industry lobby groups who have spent generations and billions of dollars on PR and political donations

i'm going to ignore the same, tired, anti-gun arguments but this bit is bull****. you cant just walk into walmart and come out with an automatic weapon. they are federally regulated and require a lot of time and expense to purchase. and when i say expense i mean sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. the type of person who goes to that sort of trouble is not a danger to public. have a guess how many people have been killed with legally held automatic weapons in the US since 1930?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The gun manufacturers operate within the law, the problem here is with the Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wait a second.

I thought all those Sandy Hook families were actors and the whole thing was a leftie conspiracy to take guns away from right thinking god fearing Americans.

Truthers couldn't be lying could they? I mean, truth is in their name after all so they must be right. Right? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it's america, anyone can sue anybody for anything. maybe it's just trying to draw even more attention to gun ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Jester252 wrote: »
    It's kinda sad that people are supporting this lawsuit. It is just a greedy lawyers trying to make a quick buck off devastated families.

I would be very surprised if the lawyers weren't doing this pro bono.

While legally, there is unlikely to be sufficient grounds for a negligence suit (at least there wouldn't be here), I imagine that given the complete failure of the federal and state legislatures to pass any proper gun control laws they feel this is the only avenue open to them.

floggg wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if the lawyers weren't doing this pro bono.

While legally, there is unlikely to be sufficient grounds for a negligence suit (at least there wouldn't be here), I imagine that given the complete failure of the federal and state legislatures to pass any proper gun control laws they feel this is the only avenue open to them.

there is also the small matter of the federal law that specifically prohibits lawsuits of this nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Tzardine wrote: »
    Stupid lawsuit.But because it is America they will win and will be awarded a quadrillion dollars.

The lawyers will be the only winners here.

It is, but (thankfully) I can't begin to imagine the amount of pain that they must be going through, especially at this time of year.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Swimming pool contractors and the water companies should be sued for those who drown in swimming pools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Swimming pool contractors and the water companies should be sued for those who drown in swimming pools.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Oh somebody please mention the dog in the microwave. Get it over and done with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Beano wrote: »
    i'm going to ignore the same, tired, anti-gun arguments but this bit is bull****. you cant just walk into walmart and come out with an automatic weapon. they are federally regulated and require a lot of time and expense to purchase. and when i say expense i mean sometimes tens of thousands of dollars. the type of person who goes to that sort of trouble is not a danger to public. have a guess how many people have been killed with legally held automatic weapons in the US since 1930?

Vetting kind of goes out the window on Black Friday. They'd spend less than 3 minutes vetting each purchaser.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/30/367544540/black-friday-gun-sales-soar-straining-background-checks

and then in december after black friday gun crime soars.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/fbi-warns-of-an-increase-in-bank-robberies-in-december/2014/11/28/c17d242e-740f-11e4-9c9f-a37e29e80cd5_story.html

you need to actually read what i said.

You need to follow the links posted and acknowledge that your assertion that there is some quality control in the process of controlling who gets guns is completely false.
    If a ne'er do well wants a gun they'll buy it on Black Friday.

Gun control in the U.S. is similar to Irish Banking Regulation during the first decade of this century.

You need to follow the links posted and acknowledge that your assertion that there is some quality control in the process of controlling who gets guns is completely false.
    If a ne'er do well wants a gun they'll buy it on Black Friday.

Gun control in the U.S. is similar to Irish Banking Regulation during the first decade of this century.

i was referring to automatic weapons. you do know what an automatic weapon is dont you?

An automatic weapon is what you get when you purchase certain types of freely available rifles in a US supermarket and then buy the kit mail-order to convert it.
    Either you are naive or deliberately disingenuous.

An automatic weapon is what you get when you purchase certain types of freely available rifles in a US supermarket and then buy the kit mail-order to convert it.
    Either you are naive or deliberately disingenuous.

buy a mail order to kit to convert it to automatic? you do realise that those "kits" you refer to are subject to the same controls as automatic weapons themselves?

Ok, I was wrong about fully automatic weapons being easy to buy in America, but a semi automatic weapon is still pretty damn dangerous and 40% of these guns are traded without any background checks, and can be converted to fully automatic mode with a custom bumb stock which is legal to buy and own (they're not very accurate with this 'upgrade' but if your intention is to spray a crowd with a hail of bullets, accuracy isn't really a top priority)
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Slide-Fire-AR-Stock/1403492.uts

Conversion kit is easily purchased unofficially as you well know and fits in an envelope.

• Advertisement

Conversion kit is easily purchased unofficially as you well know and fits in an envelope.

by unofficially you do of course mean illegally?

Ok, I was wrong about fully automatic weapons being easy to buy in America, but a semi automatic weapon is still pretty damn dangerous and 40% of these guns are traded without any background checks, and can be converted to fully automatic mode with a custom bumb stock which is legal to buy and own (they're not very accurate with this 'upgrade' but if your intention is to spray a crowd with a hail of bullets, accuracy isn't really a top priority)
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Slide-Fire-AR-Stock/1403492.uts

bump stocks are a novelty. nothing more. you watch too many movies.

Keep going Beano. You're only making yourself look silly but I've got other things to do today.

Keep going Beano. You're only making yourself look silly but I've got other things to do today.

i'm not the one talking out of their arse

bump stocks are a novelty. nothing more. you watch too many movies.
    A novelty that allows you to shoot hundreds of deadly rounds a minute but with reduced accuracy

I think I prefer whoopee cushions

I refer you back to my links with actual facts.
    All you are capable of is vague retorts and ad hominem attacks.

American Mail order catalogues for the gun trade are truly frightening.

I speak having grown up around guns.
    Gun control in the US is nothing short of a sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

the type of person who goes to that sort of trouble is not a danger to public. have a guess how many people have been killed with legally held automatic weapons in the US since 1930?

How many?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It is alarming that your neighbour can have the same gun as a military force (bar the automatic feature). I think there should be a divide between the two types. Even if it's only a cosmetic difference, Americans idolise guns too much they need to make home defence guns completely practical, like making the gun as obvious as possible, maybe even making it a glow in the dark high viss type affair. If you're only using it for home defense then you should have no problem with that.

What always surprises me is hearing of criminals with unregistered new guns. How do they get them? Is the gun company fined for every unregistered gun that shows up in the hands of a criminal? It kind of implies they're either dealing with criminals directly or are losing guns all over the place.

Bottom line is Americans love their guns, they idolise guns and their too caught up in the allure of guns to think about them rationally. I don't see that changing anytime soon, we can only hope they are satisfied with shooting themselves and don't want to go invading any country near you.

osarusan wrote: »
    How many?

• Advertisement

I refer you back to my links with actual facts.
    All you are capable of is vague retorts and ad hominem attacks.

American Mail order catalogues for the gun trade are truly frightening.

I speak having grown up around guns.
    Gun control in the US is nothing short of a sick joke.

nothing vague in anything i have said.

Advertisement