Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who decides what the kids get for christmas?

Options
  • 14-12-2014 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Had a conversation with a friend regarding how they buy Christmas presents for their kids.

I asked if they ask the kids what they want for christmas and he said no they just get what he thinks the kids would want.

I would be the opposite, I ask the kids what they want and they usually get it if unless it's too expensive or outrageous.

Interested in hearing other thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Santa, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Angela Merkel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Most adults don't know what they want; it seems unlikely that children will be able to pick the gifts they'll like best.

Looking back, I can remember wanting a lot of REALLY STUPID things. Sometimes, I got them, and was quickly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My kids tell me what they want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

UCDVet wrote: »
    Most adults don't know what they want; it seems unlikely that children will be able to pick the gifts they'll like best.

Looking back, I can remember wanting a lot of REALLY STUPID things. Sometimes, I got them, and was quickly disappointed.

Definitely a very good point but I'd add that sometimes if a kid REALLY wants some stupid thing, you're just gonna have to get it so they don't write off everything else they get as being crappy compromises.

Personally, if I had a kid I'd prolly get them a mixture of things they asked for and things which seem really fun to me that I could imagine the kid liking a lot (that way if they don't like something I'd get to keep it :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Local credit union usually decides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Kids shouldn't get any presents as far as I'm concerned.

Mass and prayer would be more in their line. Rumination on their sinfulness would quickly put paid to any ideas of presents!

catallus wrote: »

Mass and prayer would be more in their line. Rumination on their sinfulness would quickly put paid to any ideas of presents!

Well you are just full of Christmas spirit aren't you? I really hope you aren't a parent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My bank account decides.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well said son, these scumbags could do with a bit of Mass. 90% in this rock of a country are confirmed and clean full made members.

I love the way big weird beards try to protest during Communion, what a bunch of weird beard cranks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well you are just full of Christmas spirit aren't you?

I am! The annual reminder of the birth of our Redeemer is the spirit we're talking about, is it not?
    I really hope you aren't a parent.

I might stretch to giving them a copy of the New Testament so they can become more knowledgeable about Christmas. Being a parent brings responsibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

A combination of television and peer pressure makes the decision.

I am! The annual reminder of the birth of our Redeemer is the spirit we're talking about, is it not?

I might stretch to giving them a copy of the New Testament so they can become more knowledgeable about Christmas. Being a parent brings responsibility!

That's the spirit !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ask them to write their letters to Santa and put them in an envelope and tell them you'll send it, then just open and read the letters. Easiest and best way to do it. Or else take them to one of those fake Santa's and hear what they ask for.

I've told my kids they're Jewish and as such they don't celebrate 'the Holidays' -

......they also think the ice cream man plays his chimes to let everyone know he is out of ice cream so no need to coming running out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Make them sleep outside for the night too, if it was good enough for their lord its good enough for them. Did the three wise men bring an iPad, a xbox and a Frozen DVD? Did they ****.

Being serious.....

When my kids were younger they wrote out their list and letter and stuck up the chimney (scientifically proven to be the quickest way to get a message to the big guy) - this was mostly to get them to draw line under what they wanted and prevent further changes of mind.

I'd retrieve the list and see what was on it. Then get them a combination of what was on the list (not everything and certainly not anything too off-the-wall), stuff I'd heard them talk about during the year and a 'surprise.'

My kids are now in their late teens and it's funny - they still insist that stuff is wrapped and placed under the tree, even though they know pretty much what they are getting - and they always insist on getting the 'surprise' - which doesn't have to be anything huge just something with a bit of thought that they wouldn't ordinarily expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's the spirit !

The Holy Spirit of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

I'm wondering if how u decide weather or not ur kids decide or u decide what they are having is directly connected to what your parents did with regards to this weather they let u chose or they choose.

I always pitied the kids that had their parents choose their Christmas presents they always ended up with the Irish made wooden toys that their parents saw on the late late toy show and not the cool battery operated plastic space ships I asked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

We were always instructed to put down a surprise when writing our letters, you'd request a few small things but the surprise would generally be the big thing (remember getting some lego mindstorms one Christmas which was pretty much the best present ever and I would never have thought to ask for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why don't they already have a copy? Worst parent ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

Saw a short video recently where some kids are asked to write their letter to Santa and list all the things they want. It didn't take them long to list all the toys and stuff they wanted.

Then they were asked to write a second letter to their parents asking them what they wanted from their parents. No toys etc. as Santa was taking care of that. After a bit of thinking, the kids started their letters and they were full of things like. I want to see Dad more, I want to play more games with my parents. I went all the family to go to the zoo etc.

When they sealed up both letters, they were told they could only send one of the letters (i.e. to choose what they really wanted) The kids chose the letter to their parents.

The parents got the letters and read what their kids had written and inevitably get a bit of a reality check. Nothing wrong with some presents at all but they really shouldn't be a quick and easy way to fill a need that goes a deeper.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've told my kids they're Jewish and as such they don't celebrate 'the Holidays' -

......they also think the ice cream man plays his chimes to let everyone know he is out of ice cream so no need to coming running out.

Growing up we were told the ice cream van music was the boogey man. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

santas little helper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think if you don't get the kids some of what they want (once its a reasonable request and within your means) then wtf is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I tell her to write a list I can post to santa. I take said list to shops, and get whats on it, financial considerations aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

When did Christmas change from a religious festival to must buy iPhone 6 and all that ? It's beyond a joke these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jawgap wrote: »
    Being serious.....

When my kids were younger they wrote out their list and letter and stuck up the chimney (scientifically proven to be the quickest way to get a message to the big guy) - this was mostly to get them to draw line under what they wanted and prevent further changes of mind.

I'd retrieve the list and see what was on it. Then get them a combination of what was on the list (not everything and certainly not anything too off-the-wall), stuff I'd heard them talk about during the year and a 'surprise.'

My kids are now in their late teens and it's funny - they still insist that stuff is wrapped and placed under the tree, even though they know pretty much what they are getting - and they always insist on getting the 'surprise' - which doesn't have to be anything huge just something with a bit of thought that they wouldn't ordinarily expect.

I am 34 and like my present wrapped even if it was me who got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

We always asked Santy for 1 big present, 1 smaller thing and a surprise. Our daughter does the same. We pick something we think would be fun but educational as the surprise. We get her a book from us as well.

Advertisement