Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning about astrology

Options
  • 11-12-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Interested from a purely anthropological standpoint.where can I learn in detail about astrology and topics such as trines and sextiles conjunctions and injunctions ,semi sextiles quintiles and bi quintiles , modalities and natal charts etc
    Also any sites that can explain Chinese and vedic astrology in detail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Interested from a purely anthropological standpoint.where can I learn in detail about astrology and topics such as trines and sextiles conjunctions and injunctions ,semi sextiles quintiles and bi quintiles , modalities and natal charts etc

Ye wha??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Itsaloadofbollocks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

I recommend astronomy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A lot of them are self thought I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

You could try asking on the Psychics & Mediums forum, that's kind of related I guess. As has already been said though, complete bollocks the lot of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1076

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

kneemos wrote: »
    A lot of them are self thought I suspect.

I'm thanking your post because I assume that's intentional, for a change.
    If not, then shame on both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I hear they are bringing astrology into the new Junior Cert curriculum. From a purely "anthropological standpoint", of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That's what most of us posters on AH have been discussing in code for years.

What did you think we were talking about?

But you've just gone and ruined it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Just make it up, you'll fit right in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I foresee a lot of unhelpful posts on this thread.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

There are many benefits of astrology. Open your Aurora to the passiveness of the world and.....Zzzzzzzz

You should read the thoughts of great minds like Dawkins on astrology.

Alternatively (and I do mean alternatively), Sally Kirkman is often considered a reliable source by those utterly determined to believe in this crap.

James Randi has some interesting thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

Learn something useful instead, OP.

A musical instrument or a language or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are a couple of things you need to know.

The 26,000 year precession cycle of the earth means that the astronomy star signs are about two signs out of alignment since the time of the pyramids.

Exactly the same thing happens to 8 1/3 % of the worlds population every day.

You can collect one million dollars from Randi if you can make predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Stephen Hawking says there's a place where pure mathematics and astrology meet. Now we're talking pure mathematics, we're not talking long division. Although I dont know what pure mathematics is I just like to say it.

- Billy Connolly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://sciencecomedy.freeservers.com/custom2.html
    There's a place where astrology and pure mathematics meet. Now we're talking pure mathematics we're not talking long division. I don't know what pure mathematics is I just like to say it, because I know it exists, I've read it in a book.'

- Billy Connolly
    So Billy says in a comedy routine that he read a book , yeah that's really scientific.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Hinduism/2001/01/British-Physicist-Debunks-Astrology-In-Indian-Lecture.aspx
    ``When it was discovered that the Earth was not the center of the universe, astrology became impossible,'' said Hawking, delivering a lecture through voice synthesizer to a standing-room-only crowd of thousands.

``The reason most scientists don't believe in astrology is because it is not consistent with our theories that have been tested by experiment,''

Actually precession was discovered back in 130BC give or take so the debunking of the mechanisms of astronomy go way back.

Pure mathematics is an abstraction. What is the point here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Saipanne wrote: »
    Pure mathematics is an abstraction. What is the point here?

A point is a position. Not a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

The 26,000 year precession cycle of the earth means that the astronomy star signs are about two signs out of alignment since the time of the pyramids.

Nonsense, it's generally accepted that when Mars is in Uranus, romance will be in the air, and at work, a little application may lead to advancement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Surely no one here is going to admit to believing in this ****e, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I can offer you a course in the most arcane aspects of astrology. I studied as a young man in Persia with a Zoroastrian Grand Master and travelled to China later to explore the Iching and the Kundalini with a necromancer descended from the shamans of the Ming dynasty. There is a one time special offer of a 5 session course for the introductory price of 99.99. Terms and Conditions apply. Cantremember is the registered trading name of immaripyouoff.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I find it interesting. Not reading the stars in newspapers/magazines - that's bullsh1t, but the signs of the zodiac thing does interest me. I don't know whether it's real or not, but there are all sorts of beliefs outside of this dimension so meh, people will believe/be interested in them I guess.

catallus wrote: »

Who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Try Paddy Powers

If I could make predictions I wouldn't bother me bo||0x with Randi and his poxy $1M, Euro millions every few weeks for me.

catallus wrote: »

In graph theory, a point is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Custardpi wrote: »
    You could try asking on the Psychics & Mediums forum, that's kind of related I guess. As has already been said though, complete bollocks the lot of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1076

can we just rename that forum "the idiots forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

danrua01 wrote: »
    I recommend astronomy instead.

This ^^^^

My thanking the post isn't enough, it is an amazing subject and as you learn it you will realise what T W A D D L E astrology really is ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

the_monkey wrote: »
    This ^^^^

My thanking the post isn't enough, it is an amazing subject and as you learn it you will realise what T W A D D L E astrology really is ..

You can buy me a pint if you really see it fit.... ;)

Advertisement