Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discoverer of DNA sells Nobel medal, plans to establish institute in UCC

Options
  • 08-12-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

James Watson, the molecular biologist who has become nearly as famous for his unfiltered, off-colour remarks as for his role in the discovery of the double-helix structure of DNA, has achieved another scientific milestone. On December 4, he became the first living scientist to auction his Nobel Prize medal to the highest bidder.

The anonymous buyer paid US$4.76 million.

Watson told Nature that his motivation for selling the medal is a chance for redemption. He plans to donate some of the proceeds to Cold Spring, where he still draws a $375,000 base salary as chancellor emeritus, and also to University College Cork in Ireland to help establish an institute dedicated to the mathematician George Boole.

"I'm 52% Irish," Watson said by way of explanation.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dna-laureate-james-watson-s-nobel-medal-sells-for-4-1m/

To say this guy is controversial would be an understatement. He thinks blacks are genetically more stupid than whites (something that the vast majority of scientists and research disputes), and that women in science basically just make it more fun for the men and that they aren't very effective in what they do.

He also decided not to credit his colleague Rosalind Franklin for the part she played in deducing the structure of DNA.

Do you think UCC would be right to accept a donation from him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

My PhD supervisor worked with him. Said he was an absolute tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dna-laureate-james-watson-s-nobel-medal-sells-for-4-1m/

To say this guy is controversial would be an understatement. He thinks blacks are genetically more stupid than whites (something that the vast majority of scientists and research disputes), and that women in science basically just make it more fun for the men and that they aren't very effective in what they do.

He also decided not to credit his colleague Rosalind Franklin for the part she played in deducing the structure of DNA.

Use the money for a scholarship for black people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

and that women in science basically just make it more fun for the men [/QUOTE]

I co discovered this independently of watson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The ultimate attention seeker , discover something new Prof . Or GTFO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My PhD supervisor worked with him. Said he was an absolute tosser.

In what way?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely not, though research is being cut to the bone at the moment so the temptation would be understandable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think they were shmoozing him a while back back when he gave a talk on something or other.

Will they accept money... will they ####

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Oops69 wrote: »
    The ultimate attention seeker , discover something new Prof . Or GTFO .

He seems to have discovered his own sense of humility in fairness
    Watson told Nature that his motivation for selling the medal is a chance for redemption.

... well depending on which definition you apply to the word redemption =p

Nodin wrote: »
    In what way?

From what I've read about him and what others who have met him have said, he sounds like an all round pure bigot.

I remember reading something a while back in which a professor who had met him asked him what he thought about the film The Race for the Double Helix, and the only criticism he had is that his part was played by a jew!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yes. One of the virtues of science, touted by certain political types, is the unbiased and universal nature of that knowledge. However between this and the volume of hate directed because a scientist wore an inappropriate shirt would suggest that in future scientists have to be checked to ensure they are approviable by the right-thinking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Take the money, build the institute and make its head of research a black woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Who gives a **** what he believes? As long as he's not expecting anything for the money, take it. Money is money, it retains no memory of where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He didn't discover DNA he allegedly elucidated the secondary structure of DNA. He also owes much of his discovery to Rosalind Franklin whose work he appropriated without her permission.

strobe wrote: »
    Who gives a **** what he believes? As long as he's not expecting anything for the money, take it. Money is money, it retains no memory of where it came from.

Wow, it's just like DNA so !!!

Armelodie wrote: »
    Wow, it's just like DNA so !!!

DNA retains memory of where it came from in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Nodin wrote: »
    In what way?

Cranky, no time to help anyone, never said hello in the corridors, regularly losing the plot with people in his lab. Just a tosser in general.

Manach wrote: »
    Yes. One of the virtues of science, touted by certain political types, is the unbiased and universal nature of that knowledge.

What does that even mean?

I assume you're just taking the opportunity to vaguely rant about 'liberals', as per usual?

Anyway, science has nothing to do with whether or not UCC should accept a donation from him. Just because someone is a great scientist doesn't mean their views on society or their moral philosophies should be given the same respect as their scientific acumen.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    DNA retains memory of where it came from in some cases.

Yes and so does money :)

I've uncovered new research...

See proof attached

ItalianPrintedEuro.jpg

What does that even mean?

I assume you're just taking the opportunity to vaguely rant about 'liberals', as per usual?

Anyway, science has nothing to do with whether or not UCC should accept a donation from him. Just because someone is a great scientist doesn't mean their views on society or their moral philosophies should be given the same respect as their scientific acumen.

A despicable man and a sh1t scientist. UCC should tell him to stick it

• Advertisement

The Watsonian institute for Boolean algebra , why not ? ..sure Boole already has a library , Watson needs a legacy........he's so mercenary he makes me sick.

Naa the way these things usually go twas all a done deal anyway back in 2010 when he was given the Honorary Doctorate. LINKEY SHMINKEY

Oops69 wrote: »
    The Watsonian institute for Boolean algebra , why not ? ..sure Boole already has a library , Watson needs a legacy........he's so mercenary he makes me sick.

Jeez if he was that enamoured by Boole then why didn't he just call it the Institute for Boolean algebra or the Boolean Institute !
    Talk about dining out on someone else's coat tails.

Anywho it's Ireland... money is money (especially Yummy Foreign Direct Investment..mmmm)

"ya sure President Mugabe is it the institute for Nelson Mandela peace studies you want.. oh ok The Mugabe institute for Mandela Peace Studies...ya sure whatever ya want to call it that's fine..just wire me the monies and I'll have it sorted by next year.. ya ya plaque and all.. little curtain ceremony...g'luck"

Armelodie wrote: »
    Jeez if he was that enamoured by Boole then why didn't he just call it the Institute for Boolean algebra or the Boolean Institute !
    Talk about dining out on someone else's coat tails.

Anywho it's Ireland... money is money (especially Yummy Foreign Direct Investment..mmmm

I am only conjecturing on this of course , but truth can be stranger than fiction of course when money is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Manach wrote: »
    Yes. One of the virtues of science, touted by certain political types, is the unbiased and universal nature of that knowledge. However between this and the volume of hate directed because a scientist wore an inappropriate shirt would suggest that in future scientists have to be checked to ensure they are approviable by the right-thinking people.

Big diff between a scientist wearing a shirt featuring sexy ladies and a scientist spouting very unscientific views as if they were coming from a place of scientific integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

I like his style. Not afraid to speak his mind. If a scientist believes there is a connection between race and intelligence he should be allowed to express it. Whether he's right or wrong on the race/intelligence issue is immaterial. Stifling debate by vilifying and shunning a scientist for having unpopular views is not healthy.

He didn't discover DNA he allegedly elucidated the secondary structure of DNA. He also owes much of his discovery to Rosalind Franklin whose work he appropriated without her permission.

And given the chance, she and her research partner would have likely elucidated the structure themselves.

Dunno if he's a shít scientist, not terribly ethical in ways, but I'm sure he was highly skilled at the same time.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    And given the chance, she and her research partner would have likely elucidated the structure themselves.

But she wasn't and he didn't give her any credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Was he wrong?
    The most frequently stated culture-only hypothesis is that the mean IQ differences are due to SES. In fact, controlling for SES only reduces the mean Black–White group difference in IQ by about a third, around 5 IQ points. The genetic perspective does not regard this control for SES as being entirely environmental. It holds that the parents’ socioeconomic level in part reflects their genetic differences in intelligence. Moreover, according to the culture-only theory, as Black groups advance up the socioeconomic ladder, their children should be less exposed to environmental deficits and therefore should do better and, by extension, close the distance separating the Black mean with the White. In fact, the magnitude of the mean Black–White group difference in IQ for higher SES levels, when measured in standard deviations, is larger.

http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/pppl1.pdf

Advertisement