Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl records in Cork City?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere else left in Cork that does vinyl records anymore? Plugd closed down, Virgin is gone and I couldn't find any vinyl left in HMV today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

There's that second hand music shop beside the Brog, Uneeda. They do vinyls for sure, maybe not exactly modern though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There used to be a good few,the vinyl room,syntethic records,sweet beat and that place down marlboro street all closed down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Hmm, yeah. I was kinda looking for more contemporary stuff than what I'd likely find in a secondhand shop. Still, worth a try. Do they still do secondhand vinyl in Vibes and Scribes, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hmm, yeah. I was kinda looking for more contemporary stuff than what I'd likely find in a secondhand shop. Still, worth a try. Do they still do secondhand vinyl in Vibes and Scribes, does anyone know?

I think they might do, but I can't be certain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

afaik the music/dvd part of vibes has closed down, just books now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

afaik the music/dvd part of vibes has closed down, just books now!

The Vibes And Scribes in Bridge Street. O no:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

StereoLove wrote: »
    [/B]
    I think they might do, but I can't be certain!

Not anymore unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

Plugg'd is closed???:-o

what about the place upstairs next to plugg'd. The place above the sewing shop?

I called into the place next to the brog today. They had lots of records, but a lot of it was kinda irish music that was popular in the 70s and 80s (think Dana and co and you get the picture). Very disappointed altogether that none of the current music shops do vinyl. A few years ago both Virgin and HMV would have had me covered, now Virgin is gone and HMV don't stock vinyl anymore. (HMV still do vinyl online, but why should I be paying a shipping charge when there is a big HMV down the road!) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Could you browse online and then go to the HMV here and get them to get it in for you? Get around shipping that way?

That would be cool for more than just vinyl, actually. Anybody ever done this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Schorpio wrote: »
    I called into the place next to the brog today. They had lots of records, but a lot of it was kinda irish music that was popular in the 70s and 80s (think Dana and co and you get the picture). Very disappointed altogether that none of the current music shops do vinyl. A few years ago both Virgin and HMV would have had me covered, now Virgin is gone and HMV don't stock vinyl anymore. (HMV still do vinyl online, but why should I be paying a shipping charge when there is a big HMV down the road!) :mad:

i used work in a music shop not hmv though, we did but i think hmv also do 'special orders' if you get the Catalogue Number of what you want from the website and go in and order it there should be no shipping costs...you may have to wait a few days from ordering to buying though...

Plugg'd is closed???:-o

what about the place upstairs next to plugg'd. The place above the sewing shop?

The vinyl room has been closed for a few yrs.

i used work in a music shop not hmv though, we did but i think hmv also do 'special orders' if you get the Catalogue Number of what you want from the website and go in and order it there should be no shipping costs...you may have to wait a few days from ordering to buying though...

I might go in over the weekend and see do they do that so. That wouldn't be too bad, but it's still a poor vinyl service for all of Cork city. You would think that at least one of the record shops would have survived......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Let us know how you get on! Very interested to see if this is do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

with rents not dropping in town and it being easier and cheaper to buy vinyl online it is almost impossible to run a successful indie record shop in the current climate.

i miss plugd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

with rents not dropping in town and it being easier and cheaper to buy vinyl online it is almost impossible to run a successful indie record shop in the current climate.

i miss plugd :(

I second that and I live in the Midlands!! Used to love popping into plugd every time i was visiting mates in Cork. Road Records in Dublin is gone down the swanny now too, awful pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭stevexo

*bump*
    Is there anywhere now a days in cork doing vinyl?
    I saw some in golden discs on Patrick street on Sunday.
    I've just been in to The RAGE on fade street in Dublin, nice collection in there.
    Heading back to cork tomorrow and would like to browse a few places down there if they still extist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

stevexo wrote: »
    *bump*
    Is there anywhere now a days in cork doing vinyl?
    I saw some in golden discs on Patrick street on Sunday.
    I've just been in to The RAGE on fade street in Dublin, nice collection in there.
    Heading back to cork tomorrow and would like to browse a few places down there if they still extist.
    Plugged Records, Triskel Christchurch Arts centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Records & Relics do second hand vinyl as well, nice selection. It's on Washington Street beyond the kino.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The music shop in Douglas SC (the Dunnes one) sells Vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bacchus wrote: »

Music Zone. Be sure and have a chat with Ray, music obsessive and a top guy. He sends out a regular newsletter detailing new releases/reissues on vinyl so be sure and sign up to the list. And if there's anything you're looking for he'll sort it for you. Great place.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah decent enough selection there.. For Cork!

While we're chatting about it, I've been giving some consideration to going vinyl. I have Google's streaming service, which I love for the huge selection, playlists, bluetooth connectivity to speakers, etc. However, I do miss having a physical "thing" (vinyl/tape/CD). Whenever I come across vinyls (particularly in the last year), I always stop to have a flick through them. There's just something about them that I'm drawn to. I'd be the same way about books, I love using the Kindle app but I also love having books around the house.

So, question is... is it worth it? Anyone use a streaming service and have a vinyl collection? Anyone switch over recently? Thoughts? Recommend a record player that wouldn't break the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I love the vinyl.. Just got the player this year for my birthday and now I suppose to be honest I would be more old school. But we have it all streaming, cd's, mp3 whatever but nothing sounds like vinyl. I love listening to the old classic's on it or the show songs fecking magical.. Great to pop on in the back round when you have a few friends over, adds to the atmosphere.

I can check the name of my own one for you, I like it cus it is nice and neat, still looks classy and has the radio and mp3 player on it also..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Can't beat throwing on some Thelonious Monk LPs when you're making breakfast on a sunday morning.

I love Spotify, but you just don't have the same appreciation for the music you're listening to compared to carefully selecting what LP you want to listen to, placing it on the platter and hearing that comforting crackle as the needle hits the wax.. Bliss....

Thanks guys. That'd be great if you could check the name of yours Milly33. Mind you, I already have an all-in-one music box (bluetooth, internet radio, radio, CD, USB) that does a fantastic job so IF I did bite the bullet and commit to it, I think I'd go for a "barebones" record player. Sound quality would be the biggest point for me. Vinyl is about two things (IMO) having a piece of art and great sound, so the last thing I'd want to do is skimp on sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

While we're chatting about it, I've been giving some consideration to going vinyl. I have Google's streaming service, which I love for the huge selection, playlists, bluetooth connectivity to speakers, etc. However, I do miss having a physical "thing" (vinyl/tape/CD). Whenever I come across vinyls (particularly in the last year), I always stop to have a flick through them. There's just something about them that I'm drawn to. I'd be the same way about books, I love using the Kindle app but I also love having books around the house.

So, question is... is it worth it? Anyone use a streaming service and have a vinyl collection? Anyone switch over recently? Thoughts? Recommend a record player that wouldn't break the bank?

I only got into vinyl in the last three years and have a prety big collection ,all sorts.BTW vinyl enthusiasts hate the term "vinyls".

darkdubh wrote: »
    I only got into vinyl in the last three years and have a prety big collection ,all sorts.BTW vinyl enthusiasts hate the term "vinyls".

Ah, the plural of vinyl is vinly so :) Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

its hip to be square as they say..Vinyls all the way!! Don't be silly like... Yep ill have a looksee at it and come back to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EasycomeEasygo

Does anyone know if the guy selling the vinyl on barrack st is still on the go? I havent been up there in ages cause of the road works and was there recently and saw hes gone, used to have a great selection and decent enough prices

Advertisement