Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newsroom [HBO - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

den87 wrote: »
    I have season one on DVD at home, is it worth a watch? Another message board I read does nothing but slate every episode

If you like Sorkin's other stuff, odds are you'll probably like this too. It's preachy like a lot of his stuff, but when it's good, it's really good.

Just watched episode 3.02. Have to say I'm liking this season so far, shame there's only 4 episodes remaining before it finishes for good.

The 1st and 2nd seasons definitely weren't without their faults, but overall I really like this show and would far rather it continued for another season or 2 than end.

Oh, and poor Neal. With the show ending in 4 episodes and him just going on the run at the end of the last episode, is there enough time left to see Neal get free from the crosshairs of the F.B.I.? I.M.O., no there isn't. I fear that Neal is about to get (West Wing spoiler)
    Tobied
    and the show will end with either Neal still on the run or in prison, either way his future will be bleak and uncertain.

Speaking of
    Toby
    , it was great to see his namesake from The U.S. Office show up on the train with Maggie in this episode. That guy plays unfortunate, downtrodden characters so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I gave up on this show due to its incredulously boring love angle in the previous seasons. Is there any hint of that this season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's relationship stuff, wedding plans, etc, but if you mean in the fingernails vs. blackboard sense, then no. It's not front and centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

lertsnim wrote: »
    I gave up on this show due to its incredulously boring love angle in the previous seasons. Is there any hint of that this season?

It wouldnt be a Sorkin show without relationships to be fair. But this year's are less head wrecking as there's no "will they, wont they?" with the main characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll leave it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The first two episodes have been brill...Love to see how the Neal stuff will play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So it's only 6 episodes for this season?

I thought these 2 have been really good and even though I wasn't as critical of the earlier seasons as others were, I can see it has vastly improved. Would be like if they had managed to make the sketches in Studio 60 funny as that was the main complaint I had about that series (the only other Sorkin series I've watched)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Every year people hated on The Newsroom because that was the thing to do (didn't it invent - or at least make mainstream - the term 'hate-watching'?), but kept watching and eventually came around by the end of each series.

Now that there's only a few left, I think people are starting to realise that they'll actually miss it.

I've been in from the start (and this thread will back me up on that - I'm not just going full hipster here). The show has had its flaws during its run but did well to set out its stall early, establish characters that you may not recognise immediately but still connected with, and build decent, news-based storylines that gripped you in spite of itself while always remembering to stay light. It's been idealistic, it's been loud, it's been utopian, it's been preachy at times, but it's human and has something charming about it. Not in spite of the above points, but because of the above points. Here we have a guy (Sorkin) making the show he wants to make regardless of its spot on the pop culture charts. We've had actors who are all-in with the project and bringing something unique and unflinching to each role. And we've had interesting, if arguable, takes on popular news stories and the media coverage surrounding them along the way.

Personally, I don't need a TV show to reflect my views on the world to enjoy it. I'm confident enough to watch a show that clearly has a one-sided agenda and decipher the rights and wrongs of the points its raising myself. I don't watch TV shows for validation, I watch it to be stimulated. To be challenged. And yes The Newsroom has been challenging to watch at times, but is that a bad thing? I lose interest in a show if I feel it's trying to win me over with populist views. Calling out the Internet and coming down on the side of cable TV as a bastion for integrity in journalism certainly isn't the latter in 2014. His points are debatable, and what's the problem with having that debate afterwards as long as the core material is entertaining?

Instead people pushed away from The Newsroom because Sorkin didn't say what they wanted him to say about the world, when that should've never been the point to begin with. Now he's in full 'eff you mode' with this series and no doubt out to show the world how good it could've been before walking away from it all. We didn't understand The Newsroom, or judge it for what it was (instead judging for what we wanted it to be), while it was here. And in a few weeks it'll be gone and we can have no complaints. If we didn't like it all this time anyway, what's the problem? Only, turns out, we did. We didn't deserve The Newsroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

leggo wrote: »
    We didn't deserve The Newsroom.

Is that you Aaron Sorkin?

• Advertisement

People pushed away from the Newsroom because it was a confused mess that couldn't decide if it was a generic sitcom or adult drama. It tried to be the best of both worlds but failed miserably.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is that you Aaron Sorkin?

Remember when you used to say something nice about someone then people would be like, "Oh that must be the person he's talking about?" That was gas. In 2005...

People pushed away from the Newsroom because it was a confused mess that couldn't decide if it was a generic sitcom or adult drama. It tried to be the best of both worlds but failed miserably.

As opposed to this series that's getting near-unanimous praise...which featured, in the latest episode, Don & Sloane trying to trick each other about whether they were in a relationship or not, spliced with one of the main characters going on the run from the FBI.

How's the above different from what you described? And yet nobody is pushing away now. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Remember when you used to say something nice about someone then people would be like, "Oh that must be the person he's talking about?" That was gas. In 2005...

It was actually the style of your sorkinesque monologue which prompted me to post that. I meant it complimentary really.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'll leave it so.

Just because there's some relationship stuff? :The two main leads got engaged at the end of season 2, what did you think the writers were going to do with them? :confused:

You're missing out on some amazing TV if you do decide to give it a miss.

errlloyd wrote: »
    It was actually the style of your sorkinesque monologue which prompted me to post that. I meant it complimentary really.

Fair enough, I was cranky and sick last night when I replied.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Every year people hated on The Newsroom because that was the thing to do (didn't it invent - or at least make mainstream - the term 'hate-watching'?), but kept watching and eventually came around by the end of each series.
    Actually people generally had perfectly valid arguments as to why they didn't like it. And to say it's because they resented being challenged with opposing views is sort of insulting. In fact, if you remember the thread here, what most people complained about were the "character" moments and what most people wanted more of were the journalistic insights and story lines. That's what we did seek out, contrary to what you're implying - we actually wanted those debates, those challenges but too often felt that comedic asides and tepid character moments were getting in the way of that.
    complaints. If we didn't like it all this time anyway, what's the problem? Only, turns out, we did. We didn't deserve The Newsroom.
    Didn't deserve? That's a bit much - it's not as if Sorkin has created a masterpiece and the masses are just unable to see its genius. It's a flawed show that has been gradually improving with each season as he works out its kinks and, if it kept up with the level displayed this season so far, it will indeed be a shame but it looks like Sorkin may have fixed some of the problems too late. Maybe the show deserves better now but we possibly deserved better in its early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

This show is a mess, and I love it.
    Two cracking episodes so far.

ixoy wrote: »
    Actually people generally had perfectly valid arguments as to why they didn't like it. And to say it's because they resented being challenged with opposing views is sort of insulting. In fact, if you remember the thread here, what most people complained about were the "character" moments and what most people wanted more of were the journalistic insights and story lines. That's what we did seek out, contrary to what you're implying - we actually wanted those debates, those challenges but too often felt that comedic asides and tepid character moments were getting in the way of that.

That's not quite what I said. I said that people criticised it for the show they thought it should be rather than the show it actually is, i.e. what the makers wanted it to be. For example, I read a dissection of the last episode that was almost entirely based around Sorkin's contempt towards the Internet. They didn't like his stance, therefore, the episode was crap. That's a person who watches TV to feel validated.

And what is it that people are now commenting on? Don and Sloan. So is he really wrong for focusing on character bits? People who slate character-based shows in favour of more plot don't realise that strong characters drive good plots. The plot is nothing unless you're invested, unless you like and dislike each of the main players. I haven't read people saying that they're apathetic towards Will, Mackenzie, Don, Sloane etc*. That's investment (whereas, again, people who watch TV to feel validated think the writers don't want you to dislike certain core characters - which is hardly ever the case).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For example, I read a dissection of the last episode that was almost entirely based around Sorkin's contempt towards the Internet. They didn't like his stance, therefore, the episode was crap. That's a person who watches TV to feel validated.
    I think that's also a little bit because the show stresses how ACN goes for fair balanced news and then Sorkin has his little soapbox moments like that which don't really seem very balanced.
    I haven't read people saying that they're apathetic towards Will, Mackenzie, Don, Sloane etc*. That's investment (whereas, again, people who watch TV to feel validated think the writers don't want you to dislike certain core characters - which is hardly ever the case).
    Well plenty of people don't particularly like Mackenzie. Okay, so they have an opinion on her (so yes, they're not apathetic) but if it's that she annoys them then that's not a positive thing. Look above and you'll see a poster asking about the love triangle - they disliked it so much that they're nervous about investing any time in the third season. That's not the investment you want - people feeling such dislike about character arcs that it makes them turn off the show.
    Don and Sloane, for what it's worth, are the best character couple on the show but we've had to sit through others that haven't worked well and this is one of the reasons that there's not going to be a fourth season (which I would have watched if there was because, on the balance of it for me, the show has definitely more strengths than weaknesses. But not enough people agree).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sloan is savage hot but the acting leaves an awful lot to be desired imo. The monologues with Don in the restaurant about the Buffet were almost of Fair City standard.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Sloan is savage hot but the acting leaves an awful lot to be desired imo. The monologues with Don in the restaurant about the Buffet were almost of Fair City standard.

Who cares :)

olivia-munn-kelly-brook-gq-men-of-the-year-awards-22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Don is my new favorite character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Third episode was pretty good. Kept the main story going. Some of relationship stuff was pushed back into the centre a little more here, but not distractingly so. The HR guy seems like a careerist of sorts. I knew the whistleblower was going to be a woman. The reliable Clea DuVall. I did like exchange with the national security attorney bloke, which seemed suitably barbed, though you kinda always knew something was going to fall on Will. Crowdfunded news? I'll pass. Corporate ain't no great shakes, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wasn't as good an episode as 2 but still very good.
    The interview with the Climatologist was hilarous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Latest ep. still very enjoyable, though Sorkin's tendency to overwrite dialogue is obvious here. He just needs to learn to rein in his tendency to show off, to be the cleverest kid in the class.

Also, agree with the comments on Olivia Munn's physical attributes, but disagree completely on denigration of her acting ability. I think she is a really great comic actress, and plays her role to perfection. Everything is with a straight face, which makes it more hilarious. If anything, Sloan is just not in it enough, and her role is probably underwritten, she has a lot of unused potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

This latest episode was OK. Nothing stunning or anything but definitely better than most things in the first two seasons so that's still good. I love Sloane and Don. They're a great pairing and I think Olivia Munn is playing the character really well.

the only thing that was a bit hamfisted was the Grace Gummer scene where she was getting hounded over click-bait journalism. 20 minutes later ACN is about to be turned into a crowdsourced news outlet. I'd have prefered that be left a week or two to develope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

fisgon wrote: »
    Everything is with a straight face, which makes it more hilarious.

That's my major problem with her acting. Everything is with a straight face. Humour is with a straight face. Anger is with a straight face. Sadness is with a straight face. Happiness is with a straight face. She completely underacts. Pretty good comic timing, but just completely expressionless most of the time.

I used to have the opposite criticism of Mac, who in the first season was horrible for overacting, but she's toned it down a lot and I've enjoyed her performance a lot more.

Either way, another good episode I thought. Slowed things down a bit, but probably for the best to prevent every episode being too rushed and dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sorry to be a moaning michael but can we refrain from posting large pics of Olivia Munn in favour of links to the pictures. Some of them are borderline NSFW and I like to read some of the comments in work but get uncomfortable having her boobs displayed across my screen. I don't need someone making a comment about what I appear to be viewing.

Not complaining about pics of her in general, just can we link to them instead? That or I can't read this thread in work which would be annoying.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Sorry to be a moaning michael but can we refrain from posting large pics of Olivia Munn in favour of links to the pictures. Some of them are borderline NSFW and I like to read some of the comments in work

Perhaps you should be, oh I dont know, doing some work in work?

I will tone down the amount of flesh on show with her and make them smaller than the last one, but I wont be linking to them. A decent compromise?

The TV forum is one of the few subforums on here that I like that also allows pictures. It adds to the banter in my humble opinion. To me "NSFW" means a lot more on show than has been seen here. God knows Olivia Munn has other pictures out there that proves this :cool:

But you really shouldnt be getting a mini soapbox out considering you're reading this thread on your bosses time.

Advertisement