Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 10 Christmas Songs 2014 **The Results Are In!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Heard this on Christmas FM last year and I loved it. One of the very few good modern Christmas songs. It really gets me in a festive mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

How could you not love this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I will post an update on the top 10 most liked songs some stage this week, voting ends at the end of this month! So if you haven't thanked your favourite there is still plenty of time!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Live Aid brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. It's my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

beertons wrote: »
    Live Aid brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. It's my favourite.

You be delighted to hear there will be a Band Aid 30 this year with Ed Sheeran, 1D & Chris Martin amongst the celebs taking part. Looking forward to this versions take on it, I rather enjoyed Band Aid 20.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Loughc wrote: »
    You be delighted to hear there will be a Band Aid 30 this year with Ed Sheeran, 1D & Chris Martin amongst the celebs taking part. Looking forward to this versions take on it, I rather enjoyed Band Aid 20.

No, not delighted at all. The original was the best. The re runs are butchering it. There's nothing classic about the first 2 you mentioned. Chris Martin might be there, in 15 more years.

beertons wrote: »
    No, not delighted at all. The original was the best. The re runs are butchering it. There's nothing classic about the first 2 you mentioned. Chris Martin might be there, in 15 more years.

I like Ed Sheeran and while I agree nothing can beat the original the idea of newer versions is to raise awareness of the charity which is what the single was released for in the first place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Meangadh wrote: »

How could you not love this?

Lovely,if i could thank it twice i would,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

delw wrote: »
    Lovely,if i could thank it twice i would,cheers

No worries- keep the change ya filthy animal :D

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    So far the list is very "the usual " I would have though as a Christmas forum we'd be a bit more diverse..... :o

It goes to show the classics are just that, CLASSIC! You can't beat the originals! There is some diversity in our list outside of the top 10.

As it stands the top 10 currently looks like this;

1) Fairytale of New York - 14 Votes
    2) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - 10 Votes
    =3) Merry Xmas Everyone - 9 Votes
    =3) Driving Home for Christmas - 9 Votes
    =3) All I Want for Christmas - 9 Votes
    6) Stop The Cavalry - 8 Votes
    =7) White Christmas - 7 Votes
    =7) Do They Know It's Christmas? - 7 Votes
    =9) Last Christmas - 6 Votes
    =9) Little Drummer Boy - 6 Votes

Naturally enough it's a long way to go before we close so it can all change, it's just an idea of how we're looking. If your favourite isn't up there or near the bottom and you want to change that, get thanking! :D

Update on the Top 10 looks like this,

1) Fairytale of New York - 30 Votes
    2) Driving Home for Christmas - 19 Votes
    3) All I Want for Christmas - 17 Votes
    =4) Merry Xmas Everyone - 16 Votes
    =4) Stop The Cavalry - 16 Votes
    6) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - 15 Votes
    7) Do They Know It's Christmas? - 14 Votes
    =8) Last Christmas - 12 Votes
    =8) White Christmas - 12 Votes
    10) Little Drummer Boy - 11 Votes

The top 10 is beginning to take shape, with a clear leader but only 5 votes seperate 4th from 10th and there is a song currently on 10 votes waiting to break in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Update on the Top 10 looks like this,

1) Fairytale of New York - 30 Votes
    2) Driving Home for Christmas - 19 Votes
    3) All I Want for Christmas - 17 Votes
    =4) Merry Xmas Everyone - 16 Votes
    =4) Stop The Cavalry - 16 Votes
    6) I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - 15 Votes
    7) Do They Know It's Christmas? - 14 Votes
    =8) Last Christmas - 12 Votes
    =8) White Christmas - 12 Votes
    10) Little Drummer Boy - 11 Votes

The top 10 is beginning to take shape, with a clear leader but only 5 votes seperate 4th from 10th and there is a song currently on 10 votes waiting to break in....

Think I have that CD somewhere.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

- sorry, what I posted was not the right kind of song for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Willie Wonka: "Pure Imagination"

OK there isn't a mention of Christmas in the song or the Film but who didn't watch this every Christmas as a kid and who doesn't, at least secretly, look for this in the first 5 minutes with the Christmas RTE Guide every year. For me this song brings back memories of sitting in my parents "good" room with the fire blazing, a line of cards over the mantelpiece, the tree twinkling in the corner (giving off that lovely smell of real pine we just don't get any more) watching Willie Wonka while surrounded by sweets and treats that I only got once a year. It seems to be on the kids channels a few times a year now and the next generation won't see this as a Christmas movie. But when the kids are watching it in the living room and I'm in the kitchen and this song comes on I can't help stopping, listening, and for at least a few moments it's Christmas.

Don't think this has been put up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

We wish you the merriest - Crosby and Sinatra

A favourite of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

It will be lonely this Christmas- Mud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

maybe some britney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

One of my favourites is Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry. Thought it would be nominated by now!!

Mandygav wrote: »
    One of my favourites is Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry. Thought it would be nominated by now!!

Posy nominated it a month ago. Page two on the touch site if you're looking on your phone like me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I first heard this one on some internet Xmas station a couple of years ago - I like the vocal arrangement, wouldn't expect it to make the Top 10 but shur have a listen anyway...:)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Frankie Goes To Hollywood The Power of Love is my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyoTvgPn0rU

Frankie Goes To Hollywood The Power of Love is my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyoTvgPn0rU

Hey pumpkinseeds thanks for the nomination unfortunately this song has already been nominated. Page 3 on the touch site of you're browing on your phone or near the start of the thread if browsing on the web browser.

Thank that post as duplicate nomination votes won't be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews - Baby Its Cold Outside

http://youtu.be/PceqPkTdYgA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

We Wish You The Merriest. Here it is..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthDnxNd7Zk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Eels - Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas

Advertisement