Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2500 fine for private joke with daughter..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

kylith wrote: »
    Isn't sweat a vector too? If you were on that plane would you brush it off so easily?

If he assured me he was joking then I wouldn't sweat it! (pun intended)

Also I don't know what you on planes but I manage to go whole flights with little or none of other people sweat ending up on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Judge Anthony Halpin said he could not think of a more serious offence given the present day fear of Ebola.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Can't think of a more serious offence? Like actually bombing the plane or actually spreading a disease or killing someone, no???

That says it all about judges in this country really. They're in Cloud fcuking Cuckoo Land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

seamus wrote: »
    You probably think then that someone who makes an ebola joke in a pub with their mates should be immediately arrested by Gardai and fined for threatening and abusive language?

Or do you now see how utterly farcical this whole episode is?
    All I see is that the 'ah sure it'll be grand' attitude is still alive and well.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

What he did was absolutely irresponsible!
    Had he written Ebola on the cup and put it in his bag or something where none else would see then it could be a private joke.
    He put the cup in the bin and the stewardess saw it.
    You'd all be giving out if she saw it and did nothing.
    Fair play to the judge for taking this seriously and sending out a strong word of warning to other messers thinking of doing the same.
    Lots of people were affected by his little joke and not to mention the cost to the airline. We all know not to joke about bombs or drugs in an airport and I'm pretty sure most intelligent people would know it would be wrong to joke about Ebola.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would frankly meet the guy and apologize on behalf of the population of Ireland, and buy him a pint or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭ronjo

All I see is that the 'ah sure it'll be grand' attitude is still alive and well.:pac:

You didnt answer his question though...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

I hope there is no one in fancy dress flying that route today, because the entirety of an Garda Siochana will be camped in Dublin airport ready for Meth kingpin Walter White and a vigilante known as Batman. Also the boys in Hazmat suits will be busy containing the vampire and zombie outbreak.

I would frankly meet the guy and apologize on behalf of the population of Ireland, and buy him a pint or something.

Apologise for what? A steward taking her job seriously? For him being an absolute numpty causing hassle to loads of people on the plane or the huge cost to the airline that he caused? Or the judge for making him actually pay for his stupid joke!

What he did was absolutely irresponsible!
    Had he written Ebola on the cup and put it in his bag or something where none else would see then it could be a private joke.
    He put the cup in the bin and the stewardess saw it.
    You'd all be giving out if she saw it and did nothing.
    Fair play to the judge for taking this seriously and sending out a strong word of warning to other messers thinking of doing the same.
    Lots of people were affected by his little joke and not to mention the cost to the airline. We all know not to joke about bombs or drugs in an airport and I'm pretty sure most intelligent people would know it would be wrong to joke about Ebola.

No, we really wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Apologise for what? A steward taking her job seriously? For him being an absolute numpty causing hassle to loads of people on the plane or the huge cost to the airline that he caused? Or the judge for making him actually pay for his stupid joke!

Would you say the same if his daughter was the one who had written the msg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the crew did that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Erm, don't take it upon yourself to apologise on my behalf anyway, just give him a kick up the hole from me instead. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Another example of how 'common sense' is not at all common. Ridiculous reaction from both the flight attendant and the judge.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would you say the same if his daughter was the one who had written the msg?

Well yeah I would, especially of the cup ended up in the bin. How was a steward supposed to know who had written it without investigating and starting the whole process that caused the delays Etc.
    What if she's written, caution bomb, is that different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ronjo wrote: »
    You didnt answer his question though...
    About how farcical the episode is?

I don't see anything farcical about it at all.

Ah shure he only wrote a word on a cup, no harm done
    Ah shure she only said she felt like she had a ebola, no harm done
    Ah shure he's only coming from Sierra Leone with a wee bit of a flu, no harm done
    Ah shure it's only a wee bit of vomiting and diarrhea, throw them a couple of Panadol 'til we get to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

If judges could make people pay for stupid jokes Brendan O'Carroll would have been in the poor house years ago. All of the other things you mentioned were caused by an overreaction of a member of Aer Lingus staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Another example of how 'common sense' is not at all common. Ridiculous reaction from both the flight attendant and the judge.

Does writing ebola on a coffee cup on a plane sound like a common sense thing to do either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If it deters other people from making stupid jokes about ebola on flights then its achievement unlocked, as far as I'm concerned.

the crew did that

They were following procedure that they wouldn't haven had to put in place had he not been so stupid or irresponsible.
    He's 56 years old, old enough to know better in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I've said 'he had ebola soup' many many times recently. How much do I owe? 0 previous convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

The whole thing is frankly embarrassing. A man comes over here to do business and instead is arrested, hauled in front of a judge and fined €2500 for a private harmless joke between him and his daughter. I honestly wouldn't think twice if I found a coffee cup on a plane with the word Ebola on it. Ridiculous over reaction from the cabin crew/pilot.

Ah shure he's only coming from Sierra Leone with a wee bit of a flu, no harm done
    Ah shure it's only a wee bit of vomiting and diarrhea, throw them a couple of Panadol 'til we get to Dublin.

No, about if a guy was joking in the pub with his mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous and the blame should lie with the crew rather than the passenger.

I like jokes. I make jokes. I wouldn't joke going through airport security that I had a bag of drugs or a suitcase full of c4 and I wouldn't joke with a crew member that I had ebola or malaria or tuberculosis or any other illness we're not taking as seriously right now. Because even though that's hilariously unlikely to me, it could be true and the security staff are obliged to do their jobs in that case.

But this silly private joke thing is exactly the kind of thing I could see myself doing and I find the fact that I could be arrested and found guilty of "threatening" behaviour a bit frightening, to be honest.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So having a private joke between yourself and your child is exactly the same as travelling from an ebola-stricken country while suffering from severe ebola-like symptoms?

Do you actually happen to be the judge in this case? You seem as far removed from reality as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Why is this the top story on RTE?

Slow news day... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im going to write ' Contains Ebola' on a cup of coffee right this minute and show it to a colleague and put it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If he assured me he was joking then I wouldn't sweat it! (pun intended)

Also I don't know what you on planes but I manage to go whole flights with little or none of other people sweat ending up on me!

First I just want to say that I agree that the way it was handled was over the top. This man did something stupid, that's all.

BUT, I can see it from the airline's point of view. If cases of Ebola had occurred and been traced back to the passengers on that plane and it was discovered that the cabin crew had seen a cup with Ebola written on it and they'd ignored it, or if they said they'd asked the guy whose cup it was and he said he was joking so they'd left it at that, then that airline would be in the sht for not taking it seriously.

Would he have to drip sweat all over you though? Would it be enough to brush your arm, or to touch your headrest or something else your skin would come in contact with. Hell, there are terrorist groups these days who wouldn't think twice about smearing a little infected poo under trolley handles to cause global panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

it should never have got to the stage where a bloody plane was taken out of service

what planet are the aircrews on?

You'll get the same people giving out that we didn't take enough precautions once Ebola hit's here. Guaranteed

You just simply can't make "jokes" like that in a public place

People blaming airline staff, and saying they should lose their job, get real. Staff were put in an awkward position and had to make a call. They're not at fault because of the stupid actions of a wannabe comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Complete farce to be honest, it was a harmless joke and no doubt some old biddie in Aer Lingus caused this needless hassle.

I think I know the one too! Earlier this year on an Aer Lingus flight to london,when taking my seat at the back of the plane I noticed a tiny piece of chocolate stuck to it so asked the 'old biddie' hanging around in the kitchen area for a couple of napkins to give it a wipe. Talk about a song and dance - She had a look and got on the phone straight away to report the horrendous state of the plane & cleaning done, the irate passenger, the potential hold ups etc etc . She then went and removed the seat (the base lifts out) and turned it upside so nobody would risk sitting there, rang back again to report that we needed a new seat straight away. The person on the other end suggested there was an empty seat further up the plane so I said grand I'll sit there. No - not good enough , she went climbing over people up and down the aisle, whilst the plane was loading up, to swap the 2 seats and finally I got to sit down.
    I think she might have spotted the coffee cup ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Im going to write ' Contains Ebola' on a cup of coffee right this minute and show it to a colleague and put it in the bin.

Careful we have a bad ass over here :pac:

Advertisement