Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2500 fine for private joke with daughter..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Uriel. wrote: »
    Still I'd like to know what the specific details are.

Like if it was a girl and her parents and they're drinking coffee etc and she writes I have a Ebola on a coffee cup and hands it to her dad and says "try this" and then when he does, laugh and point at the text and tell him he has now got Ebola, while certainly stupid, it wouldn't warrant in my view, the action taken by the authorities or the flight crew

I think it's highly probable that it was a joke in poor taste.

Airplane food and drink aren't the best so I could see how it could have simply been a joke between 2 family members about the poor quality of the coffee.

Easy to see how this could go wrong and miscommunication between the man and a flight attendant could have occurred when rubbish was being collected. Maybe he drew their attention to it to try explain it being a joke?

I fully understand erring on the side of caution but I think it's an unfortunate situation for all involved.

It'll be interesting to see how many similar incidents occur over the Halloween weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1031/655965-ebola-claim-on-flight/
    His daughter had ordered a coffee and he took a sip from the cup first. She told him his germs were on the coffee cup and as a joke he wrote "Attenzione Ebola" on the lid.

Next time I'm on a plane I'm going to write "Attention: Polio" on the lid of a coffee cup.

Insane reaction by the judge & airline to an obvious joke that really caused no harm.

Full story:
    An Italian man arrested at Dublin Airport after "a sick joke" about Ebola has been ordered to pay €2,500 to charity to avoid a criminal conviction.
    Roberto Binaschi, 56, with an address in Milan, wrote the words "Attenzione Ebola" on the lid of a disposable coffee cup as a joke with his daughter while on board the flight from Milan to Dublin yesterday.
    The cup was disposed of in the usual way but cabin crew spotted the wording on the lid, sparking an alert, which resulted in his arrest.
    At Dublin District Court this morning Mr Binaschi apologised and said he never intended to cause concern.
    The court was told Mr Binaschi was on a flight from Milan with his wife and daughter to attend a conference in Dublin.
    His daughter had ordered a coffee and he took a sip from the cup first. She told him his germs were on the coffee cup and as a joke he wrote "Attenzione Ebola" on the lid.
    His daughter then finished the coffee and the cup was disposed of.
    When a member of the cabin crew spotted the words Mr Binaschi was asked if he had written them and he said yes.
    The court was told his wife was sitting with them and was not even aware of the joke. At no time was the cup or lid exposed to anyone else on the plane.
    Judge Anthony Halpin said he could not think of a more serious offence given the present day fear of Ebola.
    He said it was like writing on a napkin that there is a bomb on the plane. "He was over international waters on an international flight, that is how serious it is".
    However, after hearing evidence from the defendant who said he now realised the anxiety he had caused after what was a private joke with his daughter, the judge said it did not warrant a prison sentence.
    He said he took into account that the flight was not in the "geo plane" of where Ebola is at the minute.
    Judge Halpin also said Mr Binaschi was disposing of the cup rather than bringing it to the attention of the cabin crew which was a factor that had to be taken in to consideration.
    "It cannot be described as anything but a sick joke," the judge said.
    He ordered Mr Binaschi to pay €2,500 to the Capuchin Friary in Bow Street in Dublin and applied the Probation Act.
    Mr Binaschi had pleaded guilty to using threatening abusive or insulting behaviour on board an aircraft.
    The charge is under the Air Navigation and Transport Act and if convicted he could have been fined or jailed.
    The man's solicitor, Michelle Finan, said Mr Binaschi was a company director coming to Dublin to attend a conference and was "here trying to create jobs".
    Others attending the conference had "bunched together" to collect €2,500 which was the sum ordered by the judge to be given to charity.
    She said he was very anxious that people would not think he had tried to cause any alarm and was anxious to apologise to Aer Lingus and to gardaí.
    The judge said he had "learned his lesson, he looks visibly upset".
    However, he said he had to stress "how serious it was and send out a message that we don't want other people doing it".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Next time I'm on a plane I'm going to write "Attention: Polio" on the lid of a coffee cup.

It's nice to have a hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Well done judge, didn't require a sentence but for a good charity to profit to the tune of 2500 for this idiot's ignorance strikes me as an excellent result.

Now, if we could apply the same fine to anyone wearing an ebola halloween costume we'd be heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....comes to mind. The guy should have realized that flippancy about death or disease related stuff does not go down well in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Roberto made the mistake of not having 99 previous convictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

doolox wrote: »
    ....comes to mind. The guy should have realized that flippancy about death or disease related stuff does not go down well in Ireland

Well, or on airplanes anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why is this the top story on RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Not too mention the delays to the passengers and wasting garda time etc.

He got off easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why is this the top story on RTE?
    Because it is RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wow that's crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

Roberto Binaschi, 56

5+6 = 11

It was probably all a hoax to fearmonger the Ebola crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the way the media reported this yesterday, it sounded like some idiot making a joke in bad taste. I'm going to put this in bold because people clearly didn't see this bit:

He didn't show the cup to anybody but his daughter. An air steward picked it up and panicked

Clearly in this case the guy was sharing a private (and frankly funny) joke with his daughter, and had no intention of causing any offence or panic. €2,500 is a ridiculous fine, the judge is on another planet here. People are allowed to make private jokes regardless of how crude or offensive someone else may think it is.

I suspect this poor guy just pleaded guilty on the basis that the solicitor told him he'd get away with a fine and no conviction, rather than spend the next 18 months fighting this.

And in other news a man with 92 convictions gets 2 years for threatening to murder a Garda.

Fncking judges, no sense of proportion. The steward should lose their job to be quite frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

When are people ever going to learn?

"Harmless jokes" about bombs on an airplane, or in an airport, are not harmless.

"Harmless jokes" about terrorism on an airplane, or in an airport, are not harmless.

"Harmless jokes" about ebola on an airplane, or in an airport, are not harmless.

They can, have, and will be taken seriously for the safety of everyone working on board and everyone travelling, and you'll be up the creek for having made them - and they're right to do so.

And what's more, pretty well everyone travelling knows that and think it doesn't apply to them personally because staff are meant to be mind readers about your intent (I've seen this most often with white Americans who are shocked that they're treated the same as everybody else when it comes to these rules, but that's purely anecdotal on my part from taking flights myself).

To the poster above mine - if he "only shared a private harmless joke to his daughter about his intention to blow the plane up" or whatever, it would still be taken seriously, as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That will make him think twice next time. A company director coming to create jobs !!! And cant pull 2500 together for a fine... good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This man is clearly worse than Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Mr Binaschi had pleaded guilty to using threatening abusive or insulting behaviour on board an aircraft.

Does this mean he lost the rag and started swearing at the air hostesses when they questioned him?

Because the fine seems fair enough if so.

Or is the "threatening" just the writing down of the word Ebola? In which case it seems like the whole thing could have been handled with a bit more cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's a ridiculous overreaction by the judge. How was this anything other than a waste of Garda and Court time:confused: A fine for having a sense of humour. OK, it was a stupid thing to do, but ffs, people are stupid and we do stupid things. Maybe the government can introduce a stupidity tax:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Judge Anthony Halpin said he could not think of a more serious offence given the present day fear of Ebola.

Can't think of a more serious offence? Like actually bombing the plane or actually spreading a disease or killing someone, no???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

doolox wrote: »

It's not really the same as shouting FIRE in a crowded place for everyone to hear at all though.

It would be the same as writing fire on a piece of paper and passing it to a friend and someone working in the theatre spotting it and reporting it to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Seamus, it wasn't "in private", it was on a plane!

Context is important here, if he writes that on a coffee cup in his own house. Fair play, well done.

On a plane, whether you like it or not, certain inflexible security procedures are necessary for our protection and imposed upon the airlines for our benefit.

Judge was intelligent enough to realise a sentence was not appropriate but that a 2500 e fine was a useful deterrent to the next amateur comedian who feels like being a pain in the hole for a few hundred fellow passsengers and wasting valuable emergency services time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

This is utterly retarded. What did the ****ing Air Stewards think, the coffee cup was transporting a sample of Ebola? FFS a bit of common ****ing sense in the world wouldn't go amiss.

I vote to reinstate natural selection. Lets take the "This product may contain nuts" warning off the back of packets of peanuts, see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The world has gone f*cking cracked. Also what sort of steward would possibly think that genuine ebola samples would be found in a bin contained in a f*cking Costa take-away paper cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He got away light enough, the furore he caused cost a lot more than that.

Current protocols aside, he should have been reprimanded for such an unfunny 'joke' regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, the way the media reported this yesterday, it sounded like some idiot making a joke in bad taste. I'm going to put this in bold because people clearly didn't see this bit:

He didn't show the cup to anybody but his daughter. An air steward picked it up and panicked

Clearly in this case the guy was sharing a private (and frankly funny) joke with his daughter, and had no intention of causing any offence or panic. €2,500 is a ridiculous fine, the judge is on another planet here. People are allowed to make private jokes regardless of how crude or offensive someone else may think it is.

I suspect this poor guy just pleaded guilty on the basis that the solicitor told him he'd get away with a fine and no conviction, rather than spend the next 18 months fighting this.

And in other news a man with 92 convictions gets 2 years for threatening to murder a Garda.

Fncking judges, no sense of proportion. The steward should lose their job to be quite frank.

A couple of hundred people where affected and a plane was taken out of service, which costs a lot more than his little donation. There are private jokes and plain stupidity, making a joke about Ebola in the current panic knee jerk reactions is stupidity just short of writing bomb.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The judge said it was as serious as saying there was a bomb on the plane - except a bomb would kill everyone on the plane, but the only way everyone could have caught ebola if he was infected would be if they came in contact with his blood, excrement, semen etc. - and even then, with immediate care they'd probably recover.

So was it serious? yes! Was it as serious as a bomb threat? Not even close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

That will make him think twice next time. A company director coming to create jobs !!! And cant pull 2500 together for a fine... good one.

His ability to pay the fine or not shouldn't be a factor at all. Ridiculous decision by judge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How much are they going to fine the airline staff for wasting emergency services time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Not too mention the delays to the passengers and wasting garda time etc.

He got off easy.

The steward that notified the Gardai should done for wasting their time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very silly thing to do when the world is on edge and near hysteria over Ebola.

Advertisement