Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Park Bridge into a one way

Options
  • 19-10-2014 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

This came up on my facebook feed and it is a bit worrisome if it does go through as it will make the Corbally Road even crazier than it already is.

"Limerick smarter travel have applied to limerick corporation to make the park bridge one way. This will mean all the traffic you see in these photos will no longer be able to leave corbally by this bridge and will instead. Be stuck on the corbally road or the grove island roundabout. According to their studies this will add just an extra 10 cars to the road. I would like to know what planet these people live on? They obviously don't drive on the corbally roads in the mornings. We have until 24th of October to object to this as they refused to have a public consultation process on it.PLEASE SHARE THIS! AS VERY few people who use this road seem to know about it"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

This came up on my facebook feed and it is a bit worrisome if it does go through as it will make the Corbally Road even crazier than it already is.

"Limerick smarter travel have applied to limerick corporation to make the park bridge one way. This will mean all the traffic you see in these photos will no longer be able to leave corbally by this bridge and will instead. Be stuck on the corbally road or the grove island roundabout. According to their studies this will add just an extra 10 cars to the road. I would like to know what planet these people live on? They obviously don't drive on the corbally roads in the mornings. We have until 24th of October to object to this as they refused to have a public consultation process on it.PLEASE SHARE THIS! AS VERY few people who use this road seem to know about it"

Read this in the Limerick post i think it was a few weeks back, seems a crazy idea to me and will do nothing to help traffic, it is one dangerous bridge but nowhere near as bad as it was since the new road was built. If they took away half the roundabout at the end of Grove island it would help alleviate alot of the problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Its a very very dangerous road though. I for one would back this 100%. Just because something is inconvenient doesn't mean its not the right thing to do.

This bridge and the turn beyond it should be one way but if it is to be made one way then obviously something needs to be done to take the traffic that would have used that road int he opposite direction. Corbally has been a bad spot for traffic for years. The Bridge and park road have helped obviously but more needs to be done. Maybe if they turned the bridge at Groody roundabout from a 2 lane to a 4 lane bridge it would help traffic flow. It would be a great deal of work but work that would sort out traffic once and for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Here's the link to the Planning App and Maps on the City Council site: http://www.limerick.ie/council/limerick-smarter-travel-route-park-bridge-and-park-road

It is a bit close, that turn under the railway bridge. Don't recall the last time there was an accident there though nor do I recall ever having to back up on the bridge because a car was coming the other way.

I only go that way in the morning, the one way would be the wrong direction for me. Rhebogue to Corbally is of no use to anyone going to Mill Road/Westbury as you can't make a right turn off Old Park Road onto Corbally Road. You'd have to exit via Janemount or Supervalu, both of which are right by the start of the Corbally Road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Very poor planning, all it will do is make more cars use upper park road, turn right, down past St. Mary's school to bypass the Grove Island roundabout to get access to the Pa Healy road.

Before they do what they propose they should widen the lanes where Corbally road enters the Grove Island roundabout to allow more cars wanting to go left to do so.. At the moment this is a bottleneck leading to much of the tail backs on the Corbally road.. Next time you pass look at the amount of green grass between the road and the barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hamstring

Crazy planning if you ask me. If approved then the only proposed exit from Lower Park is across the existing railway line which currently operates something like 18 scheduled trains a day. This railway crossing does not have an automatic gate system and is manually operated meaning that closure & opening of the gates takes longer. This means that 18 times a day exit from the Lower Park area will be blocked resulting in possible delays for any any emergency service trying to leave the area.

Also means that all traffic currently using the Lower Park "route" to get to the Dublin Road/Rhebogue will no longer be able to go that route and will add to the already busy traffic on the corbally road or worse past St. Mary's school which is alread a dangerous bottleneck with kids being dropped off etc.

Worst of all is that this is being pushed through with no consultation with the Lower Park or Corbally residents from what i'm hearing.

• Advertisement

Also, if I'm reading the planning application correctly, they're looking to make the road parallel with the canal (Rhebogue side) one way (old Richmond entrance to bridge direction). This means that even if you come out at St. Mary's, take the left, you'll then have to take the right onto Park Road for access to the Dublin Road. You won't be able to go left at the top of the Pa Healy Rd to go right before the bridge to head up through Rhebogue.

The St. Patrick's School junction is dreadful as is, often takes 3 light changes to get through.

Article re the proposed changes on the Live95FM website this morning;

http://live95fm.ie/news/smarter-travel-defends-bridge-proposals/20258

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

It would be more in their line to put a traffic light on the bridge / bend as was done on the bridge in Killaloe.

One exit / entrance to a massive suburb, how is that smarter travel?
    What about when there is a match on in Thomond park and you cant get in or out of Corbally for love nor money with the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Been using this for years, don't see the danger tbh. People tend to take it handy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

This is a popular rat run from Corbally to UL through Rebogue. What Limerick smarter travel should look for is a car park in UL accessible from the Clare/Parteen side. Would take a nice chunk of traffic away.

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote: »
    This is a popular rat run from Corbally to UL through Rebogue. What Limerick smarter travel should look for is a car park in UL accessible from the Clare/Parteen side. Would take a nice chunk of traffic away.

They should built tge bridge ay westbury like they were supposed to remove half the unnecessary traffic lights widem the space at the grove island roundabout n traffic sorted instead they closr off roads add more lights pushinh more n more traffic into the dame spot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes, one near the Lame Duck would be ideal.

They should also push ahead with the ring road to Annacotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Limerick smarter travel.....From the Clare/Parteen side. Would take a nice chunk of traffic away.

And there is the crux of the problem in one sentence. Limerick Council / Smarter Travel has no say in what happens past Corbally Bridge and it really does indicate that the Boundary Extension should have been pushed out to Parteen / Clonlara.

In case any Clare people would be annoyed with this, the services and administration of the area would be the responsibility of Limerick Council but it would still be Co Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

phog wrote: »

There is a car park by the Lame Duck for use by people going to UL. The only issue is that the centre of the UL campus is a ~15 minute walk from there.

I don't think the campus will ever be opened up to the Clare side, unless the University is suitably renamed to represent the fact that a large part of the campus is now in Clare. Opening the campus to traffic from the Lame Duck would also require significant road works.

phog wrote: »

there is a road from the lame duck to ul but ul blocked it off despite the fact it wasnt there land but got away with it anyway...u can still walk across there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

steveon wrote: »
    there is a road from the lame duck to ul but ul blocked it off despite the fact it wasnt there land but got away with it anyway...u can still walk across there.

That road is blocked just beside the new Astro pitches, you can drive as far as that.
    The plans for the ring road had a new entrance to UL on the Clare side.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/limerick-northern-distributor-road-constraints-study-public-information-notice.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was only jogging there on Friday. Mad that they didn't widen it and develop it properly. The Black Bridge should be fixed up as well for pedestrians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    That road is blocked just beside the new Astro pitches, you can drive as far as that.
    The plans for the ring road had a new entrance to UL on the Clare side.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/limerick-northern-distributor-road-constraints-study-public-information-notice.html

That's from 2010, if this is ever going to happen, it won't be in this century.
    First they'll fcuk about for another 2-3 years, then they'll dig this up again and realise it's now out of date. So it would have to be reconsidered.
    In order to do that, there would have to be a feasibility study, a new plan of the whole thing, environmental impact study and then the planning process.
    This will be followed by 10 years of objections, court battles, appeals, back and forth between the councils, An Taisce, An Board Pleanala and various courts before even the first sod is turned in 2034 at the very earliest and then the whole thing will take 5-6 years to build, if it's fast.
    So this thing might open the day I retire...

That's from 2010, if this is ever going to happen, it won't be in this century.
    First they'll fcuk about for another 2-3 years, then they'll dig this up again and realise it's now out of date. So it would have to be reconsidered.
    In order to do that, there would have to be a feasibility study, a new plan of the whole thing, environmental impact study and then the planning process.
    This will be followed by 10 years of objections, court battles, appeals, back and forth between the councils, An Taisce, An Board Pleanala and various courts before even the first sod is turned in 2034 at the very earliest and then the whole thing will take 5-6 years to build, if it's fast.
    So this thing might open the day I retire...

When that was delayed, that was the death of it. Funding was in place at the time and if it progressed it would almost be open now. It will be like the Motorway to Cork from Limerick whenever that gets built. Like yourself, I doubt I will be around to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was aware of that road but in fairness it's not a road that should be used for anything other than local traffic.

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    When that was delayed, that was the death of it. Funding was in place at the time and if it progressed it would almost be open now. It will be like the Motorway to Cork from Limerick whenever that gets built. Like yourself, I doubt I will be around to see it.

Plus it would take cars away from the tunnel and since the absolutely idiotic deal that is in place pays for any shortfall on a guaranteed volume, it pays to shunt everyone into the tunnel and make Limerick as unattractive, jammed up and horrible to drive through as possible.
    While on the other hand the operator of the tunnel now doesn't have to care if anyone uses his tunnel and they don't have to do anything to attract motorists. In fact, the fewer people use it, the better. Guaranteed income and less wear and tear. Who did that deal on the government side? A newborn kitten?
    I could have negotiated a better deal out of my mind on 10 pints and several joints. And I am a sh*t business person.
    Well, quite frankly if someone offered to sell me a pub and guaranteed me I sell 1000 pints a day and if I don't they'll pay for the shortfall, I would price a pint at €10, sit back, relax and watch the money roll in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I don't think the campus will ever be opened up to the Clare side, unless the University is suitably renamed to represent the fact that a large part of the campus is now in Clare.

You've lost me there?

Wouldn't that be parochial nonsense at its height?

zulutango wrote: »
    You've lost me there?

Wouldn't that be parochial nonsense at its height?

You missed this a few years back then..

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/rename-university-of-limerick-to-include-clare-in-title-says-councillor-1-2191519

Why? :eek:

I don't agree with him - largely because renaming the University would negatively affect its international reputation - but there is little wrong with wanting the name of the University to correctly represent its standings.

It's just silly and divisive.

We should do away with county boundaries altogether.

It probably should be renamed Limerick Airport, but it will never happen due to the small minded mentality that exists in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

It probably should be renamed Limerick Airport, but it will never happen due to the small minded mentality that exists in this country.

So, they should rename Shannon Airport, because it is used heavily in Limerick. But, would be silly to rename UL despite a large portion of the campus being in Clare? Looks like double standards to me.

So, they should rename Shannon Airport, because it is used heavily in Limerick. But, would be silly to rename UL despite a large portion of the campus being in Clare? Looks like double standards to me.

That's a simplistic look at it though.

They should rename Shannon because it's effectively Limerick's airport, being in the Limerick economic area.

If you're in Europe, and you're looking for a flight to Limerick, as you might do considering it's one of the major economic centres of Ireland, you could be forgiven for thinking that it doesn't actually have an airport. But it does. Except we don't call it Limerick airport.

As for UL, it is Limerick's university. It's in Limerick City for all intents and purposes. The fact that part of it is in County Clare is neither here nor there. The city straddles two counties effectively. Should we name those parts that are in County Clare as Clare City?

As I said, let's get rid of the counties altogether. They are an anachronistic throwback to feudal times and are incredibly divisive.

They should rename Shannon because it's effectively Limerick's airport, being in the Limerick economic area.

If you're in Europe, and you're looking for a flight to Limerick, as you might do considering it's one of the major economic centres of Ireland, you could be forgiven for thinking that it doesn't actually have an airport. But it does. Except we don't call it Limerick airport.

As for UL, it is Limerick's university. It's in Limerick City for all intents and purposes. The fact that part of it is in County Clare is neither here nor there. The city straddles two counties effectively. Should we name those parts that are in County Clare as Clare City?

As I said, let's get rid of the counties altogether. They are an anachronistic throwback to feudal times and are incredibly divisive.

Them's fightin' words! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They don't call it Limerick Airport, because it's 15 miles from Limerick. Not in either Limerick city, or council. UL is however in Clare. Name change of UL would be pointless. I doubt many (any?) people decided not to visit Limerick, as they couldn't find the airport.

Advertisement