Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townley hall

Options
  • 20-01-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Does anyone know if people are still mountain biking in townley hall???
    I'm getting fed up driving to Wicklow all the time looking fir something closer to drogheda

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

daithaik2 wrote: »
    I'm getting fed up driving to Wicklow all the time looking fir something closer to drogheda
    i often see lads on the canal toepath, seen a few lads last year in townley hall but not recently.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training Logs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭furiousox

Wasn't there something in Dundalk recently?
    Maybe the club up there have something going on with mtb.

http://www.cuchulainncc.com/open-events/cyclo-cross-race/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

A guy I work with goes there very regularly with his brother most weekends and some evenings. He reckon there's a few groups going there. He'd be there at first light at weekends and often works on the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

cuchulain cycling club have a decent sized mountain bike group who maintain and use bellurgan park in dundalk so i'd get in touch with them plus what about the cooleys, dont know of any trails specifically but i,m sure there are some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Townley Hall is owned and managed by Coillte. They do not allow mountainbiking in Townley Hall. No biker has permission to cycle in Townley Hall. Coillte has made it clear to Cycling Ireland, that they strongly disapprove
    of mountainbikers using Townley Hall.There are "No Cycling" signs at all the entrances to Townley Hall.
    There is a mountainbike club based in Drogheda.
    It is Zero Gravity Racing. They welcome new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

daithaik2 wrote: »
    Coilte have made sh##e of townley had most of it has been cut down and is so as i type this i live locally and used it . Odd person still goes in though..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Used it today. Had to stop fir the odd hiker.
    Much better work out than road cycling in my opinion.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Townley Hall is owned and managed by Coillte. They do not allow mountainbiking in Townley Hall. No biker has permission to cycle in Townley Hall. Coillte has made it clear to Cycling Ireland, that they strongly disapprove
    of mountainbikers using Townley Hall.There are "No Cycling" signs at all the entrances to Townley Hall.

This is still true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Didnt see any signs. Is there reasons for not letting people do it? Is it just a insurance disclaimer type thing?

• Advertisement

There are signs there, prohibiting biking.
    No, it is not just a disclaimer thing.
    As I said in another post, about Townley, Coillte take it very seriously.
    We may not like it, but Coilte, own and manage that wood. They prohibit biking there. If you cycle in Townley Hall, you are breaking the law, and are subject to prosecution.
    If you want further information, I suggest, that you get in touch with some of the lads from Zero Gravity. They do Facebook and the club's contact numbers are in The Cycling Ireland handbook.

Good conditions there today nice and dry..
    handy spot for anybody in drogheda area.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

disco1 wrote: »
    Good conditions there today nice and dry..
    handy spot for anybody in drogheda area.

Careful now. Down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭furiousox

Very popular with dog-walkers too I hear.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Townley Hall is owned and managed by Coillte. They do not allow mountainbiking in Townley Hall. No biker has permission to cycle in Townley Hall. Coillte has made it clear to Cycling Ireland, that they strongly disapprove of mountainbikers using Townley Hall.There are "No Cycling" signs at all the entrances to Townley Hall.

Exactly the same rules apply to all Coillte owned forests (which is nearly all Irish forests!) such as Djouce, Three Rock (excluding the 2 designated trails), Kindlestown etc etc! I've no idea about Townley Hall but mountainbikers have little option but to ignore these by-laws, which most of us routinely do!

In comparison to Djouce, Three Rock, etc., etc., Townley Hall is tiny. Furthermore, there are exclusive walking trails in Townley Hall, which Coillte are anxious to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

In comparison to Djouce, Three Rock, etc., etc., Townley Hall is tiny. Furthermore, there are exclusive walking trails in Townley Hall, which Coillte are anxious to maintain.

Fair enough ... as I said I don't know the set-up there at all and if it's not possible for mountain bikers to ride safely alongside walkers then they would be best staying away!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

It's plenty possible and plenty safe. The 'obvious' walking trails at the front are generally not used by bikes a lot except to get round the back of the woods where there are hardly any walkers. When you do meet walkers on the way in there's nothing but good wishes in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

sorry to resurrect an old thread.

i was up there today, any trails i was on was well out of the way of the walking paths, should be of little hassle to walkers.

met a guy in one of the side fields, he didnt know too much about who uses/built the trails but thinks they go out on wednesday evenings. gonna check that out next week unless anyone knows more about it.

regards signage up there, having read this thread last week, i had a good look around the car park area and there is nothing (currently) saying biking is not allowed. if any authorities were that worried about it i think they would have made efforts to stop any biking activities up there...

of mountainbikers using Townley Hall.

This is still the case.

• Advertisement

This is still the case.

well i'd be more inclined to go by what i see on site as opposed to an over zealous forum user with a hard on for coilte...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭easygoing39

gaza4,I don't think you know anything about Coillte and their attitude to mtber's,I do and I know that Eamonnetor is correct.And making snide remarks to a poster who is trying to inform you is bad manners.

gaza4,I don't think you know anything about Coillte and their attitude to mtber's,I do and I know that Eamonnetor is correct.And making snide remarks to a poster who is trying to inform you is bad manners.

no your right i dont have any experience with coillte but when theres no signage and purpose built trails there what should i assume???

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gaza4 wrote: »
    well i'd be more inclined to go by what i see on site as opposed to an over zealous forum user with a hard on for coilte...
    If you cannot keep the discussion civil and constructive then please do not bother posting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The mtb trails in Townley Hall weren't built by Coillte,that I can assure you.Whoever did build them did so illegally and if Coillte had the manpower or budget they would get rid of the trails. For reference,you should google "The Blast",the best ever mtb event in Ireland,that Coillte banned.Not to mention the threat of court action to those on the committee who ran the event.It makes unpleasant reading for any mtber in our country.

Trails in townley hall were built by local mtb ers about 3,4years ago. I live 2 mins from it so don't give a rat's about coilte..the area is very run down and neglected..Since coilte cut down a vast amount of forest there 2 years ago most of the trails are out of use and in a bad way and they left it in sh##.
    There is still a good amount of trails to use and you can bike here from one day to the next without any problem maybe the odd walker or biker. You could spend 2or 3 hours there some days and not see a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wonderbar

I am just thinking of heading out to mountain bik in Townley hall this week. DOes anyone ave advice on where the mountain bike trail starts/ends. I dont want to be riding the wrong way around. I am failry familier with townley hall (only the walkways though)

Advertisement