Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest debt you've been in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

€40 to me cousin.
    Took 2 months but by God I settled it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Those people saying that they will never owe some type of debt must be planning to have some very frugal lives!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

19k at the moment on a car loan. Never again, not even a mortgage. The stupidity of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

None at all.
    No rent
    No mortgage
    No credit cards
    No loans
    No overdrafts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

lukesmom wrote: »
    None at all.
    No rent
    No mortgage
    No credit cards
    No loans
    No overdrafts

No sh1t?

That sound frugally frugal. Or did you win the lotto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

None at all.
    No rent
    No mortgage
    No credit cards
    No loans
    No overdrafts

So you live at home

No sh1t?

That sound frugally frugal. Or did you win the lotto?

No lotto. Don't need a credit card I would of course love one but I know I'd be dangerous with it.

So you live at home

Yes I live in my own home with husband and three kids.

So you live at home

or a cave.:pac:

Firefox11 wrote: »
    or a cave.:pac:

Ah that's not very nice is it?

• Advertisement

Depends on the cave...The Bat Cave is pretty posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

125K in 2008
    90K now
    13 years left
    Thank f*ck it's a tracker mortgage
    Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

For the next number of years, I'm going to be properly in debt for the first time in my life as I'm going back to university as a mature student in my 30s. Owed people money in the past but not much but I'm going to end up owing thousands. Hopefully it'll be all worth it and I'll get into a profession that I can earn more money in than I'm earning now (which really wouldn't be difficult - I'm earning pittance right now). It's a scary feeling though as there's no guarantee it'll all work out. That's life, I suppose. Gotta take a gamble if you want to change your circumstances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

45k on a car loan, 3k left on my masters and a tenner to a mate for a taxi at the weekend. He'll be waiting....

Used to hate paying rent. All that money down the drain every month. Would have been alright if the landlord had let us paint and spruce the place up but she wouldn't. At least with a mortgage you get something out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No debt yet. Waiting for the new celtic tiger after I graduate!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

went mad with the wee people during the boom only owe 5k now.might as well be 5mill.
    I wonder if i said Feck off see yiz in court and take my chances would they send the viper over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

€35k on behalf of post war baby boomers who decided to take out a credit card in my name.

Grrr!

went mad with the wee people during the boom only owe 5k now.might as well be 5mill.
    I wonder if i said Feck off see yiz in court and take my chances would they send the viper over

Erm, translator to Aisle Five please!

Sorry. I didnt mean it like that. Apologies.

I suppose what I mean is that, in this modern economised, globalised world we live in, I find it difficult to see how people cant manage/survive without owing some form debt no matter how big or small.

I manage any debt as well i can (a mortgage mostly) and have as little as possible but if people can manage without more power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

The Viper arrived into a hotel I used to work in over a couple of hundred euro invoice owed to a florist.

Midget little prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

90k mortgage.
    19k car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Five Green Bottles

owe excess of €5,000,000 today i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

£29000 to do a Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Those people saying that they will never owe some type of debt must be planning to have some very frugal lives!!:eek:

Far from it. Just get a good job with a good wage and off you go. I'm far from frugal; it's a matter of having enough not to require debt while living very well. Indeed the biggest thing nowadays is the poor return on savings rather than the cost of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I was in about €15,000 of debt up to 2010. Now I'm debt free and saving like mad. Just bought a car with savings a month ago and have half of it paid back already. I have a fear of debt now, and that includes mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

125K in 2008
    90K now
    13 years left
    Thank f*ck it's a tracker mortgage
    Never again!

Far from it. Just get a good job with a good wage and off you go. I'm far from frugal; it's a matter of having enough not to require debt while living very well. Indeed the biggest thing nowadays is the poor return on savings rather than the cost of debt.

Well if I was earning 100k a week then of course. But if I took out a 500k mortgage id still be in debt for a few weeks. :D

Unfortunately most people will never be super rich as not to have debt somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I have a UK student loan which I have to start paying back early next year, although I'm doing a Masters now and I think you only start paying back when earning over a certain amount. I'm not exactly sure how much it amounts to as the fees went up slightly one year but it's definitely over £10,000 (13,000euro). I have literally no anxiety over that loan at all.

I'm considering taking out a small-ish loan from the bank to help me through the Masters, but only about 2,000euro because I'm working weekends so it's not for living costs, just need to buy a new laptop and pay the balance of my fees.

• Advertisement

Sorry. I didnt mean it like that. Apologies.

I suppose what I mean is that, in this modern economised, globalised world we live in, I find it difficult to see how people cant manage/survive without owing some form debt no matter how big or small.

I manage any debt as well i can (a mortgage mostly) and have as little as possible but if people can manage without more power to them.

No problem no offence taken. We own our own home bought at a great price last year with cash so no mortgage which helps a lot.

Advertisement