Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School patronage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

presuambly theres no demand because they never asked and from memory the surveys last year only offerred multi-dom schools such as ET or VEC

don't ask and theres no demand

• Registered Users Posts: 34,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    I'd recommend that you do.

Wait, what?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Interesting report:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/unpublished-report-queries-viability-of-small-schools-1.1867544

Balkanised school system split along gender and religious lines = more principals so no wonder the unions aren't demanding change. The interests of taxpayers in general and parents in particular don't matter.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

SW wrote: »
    Easy to claim faith schools get the best results when they discriminate heavily on the admissions :rolleyes:

London Oratory cherrypicks privileged white pupils, says watchdog

Irritatingly this school received a similar report last year. They did not improve but actually got worse. Not sure this will do anything.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Irish Times today gives Ruairi Quinn a B for his work on pluralism, yet says "Still, only two of the state’s 3,169 primary schools have changed patronage since the process began: just one Protestant school and one Catholic school. Hardly a revolution."

To me that is an epic fail. He was a complete waste of time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ruairi-quinn-report-card-b-for-pluralism-but-d-for-higher-education-reform-1.1852926?page=2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Banbh wrote: »
    The Irish Times today gives Ruairi Quinn a B for his work on pluralism, yet says "Still, only two of the state’s 3,169 primary schools have changed patronage since the process began: just one Protestant school and one Catholic school. Hardly a revolution."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ruairi-quinn-report-card-b-for-pluralism-but-d-for-higher-education-reform-1.1852926?page=2

How many schools changed patronage in the 10-15 years before him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Cabaal wrote: »
    How many schools changed patronage in the 10-15 years before him?

A) changing 0.06% of schools is still epic fail even if it is two more schools than done previously.
    B) Changing patronage does nothing towards the proper goal of establishing an openly acknowleged state-run school system (instead of the current system where the state de facto runs the schools and provides all the funding yet defers to the religious at every hands turn) which is based on a secular system of education. To become a school patron in Ireland one must have a religious agenda in education. That is no improvement.

Ruari Quinn, history will see him as long on mealy-mouthed hand wringing (to appeal to his constituents) but short on actions to improve the situation (because in reality he is as conservative and as tied to the idea of "holy catholic Ireland" as the next pol).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think it's too soon to say. He did succeed in establishing the principle that schools could change and that's no mean achievement. If, in the next ten-20 years, they remain the only ones, then yes, I think it would be fair to say that he'd failed. But until then, I think it's too soon to judge.

I think it's too soon to say. He did succeed in establishing the principle that schools could change and that's no mean achievement. If, in the next ten-20 years, they remain the only ones, then yes, I think it would be fair to say that he'd failed. But until then, I think it's too soon to judge.
    Okay in 20 years time I'll post a response.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Okay in 20 years time I'll post a response.
    I'd expect nothing less ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ruairi could have done far more than he did. The state mandate the curriculum and pay the bills so the biggest and probably easiest change away from religion could (and still can) be made without any faffing about with surveys on patronage and uniforms. He was a fan of the sound bites.

If the government really want to do something in relation to religion in school then the following could be easily mandated and implemented
    1. Reduction of the time allocated to religion in school
    2. A compulsory broad ranging, multi- denominational religious syllabus including atheism put in place (similar to the current junior cert but without the options for heavy emphasis on Catholicism)
    3. A mandatory policy whereby religious instruction such as confirmation/communion is permitted to be facilitated in the school but not as part of the hours of the school day. E.g. Schools are permitted to run an extra hour at the end of the day but not to take that hour out of the teaching time.
    4. (This may be done already?!) The removal of the allowance for schools to discriminate on religious grounds in admittance policies

All of this, particularly the first two would be broadly welcomed by Catholics and other religious/atheism as taking a huge step towards tolerance and away from religious indoctrination. Allowing the classes to be added to the end of the school day would mean parents aren't being asked to drag children to other events to prepare them for communion etc (whether they should have to make the effort is another debate entirely!). The church may not particularly like it but I think they would lose the PR battle in the end. While I am Roman Catholic I want my children to understand that all belief systems including none is completely permissible. I still regret that my own schooling taught me literally nothing about the other main world religions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

robindch wrote: »

I think that, too, is harsh in it's own way. Call me an unreconstructed gradualist if you will, but surely the yardstick is "did you do better than what went before?" RQ has... if barely. Let's give him a Gentleman's C (or whatever that is in today's money). If those that come after don't do at least as much, that's their failure, not his.

Yes, he could have done more to achieve actual change during his own tenure. Yes, he could have done more to copperfasten future such. But to lambast him on those grounds is surely to forget that doing nothing at all for a Dáil term is still an available political option -- and the most likely one, for any given FF or FG incumbent. Not to mention the "regress hugely" option -- who was it that was responsible for the present Rules for National Schools? That's not merely "grandfathered in" from the beginning of the state, that's active political choice to tack in the monocultural and theocratic direction.

So a well-deserved Ministerial pension. For doing 'better than what went before...if barely'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

So a well-deserved Ministerial pension. For doing 'better than what went before...if barely'.

Well, "actual value for money" is a different matter. A salary and a pension would have been paid anyway, so that's something of a "fixed cost", politically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ruairi could have done far more than he did. The state mandate the curriculum ...
    At second level. I think primary schools set their own curriculum. Anyone know better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It came in in 1999

ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Early_Childhood_and_Primary_Education/Primary_School_Curriculum/Primary_School_Curriculum_Documents/

In addition there are recommended guidelines for teaching time though they are not currently compulsory

into.ie/ROI/InformationforMedia/InformationforJournalists/TimeSpentonEachSubject.pdf

As far as I'm aware the syllabus and teaching allocation times are examined as part of the inspection of schools. I see no reason why a circular cannot be issued making the time allocations compulsory and a multi denominational syllabus introduced. To be honest it's a very odd absence when you look at all the other syllabi!

Sorry I'm not allowed post the full link yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

One small but important change that Jan or any Minister could make today would be to give the Board of Management control over recruitment of new teachers, instead of the Patron/Chairperson. At primary level today, the Patron/Chairperson controls recruitment - selecting the interview panel and setting the criteria. The Board of Management has literally a rubber-stamping role set out in the Departmental guidelines. They can only overrule the selection panel if they have information not known to the selection panel.

And yet, the Board is legally the employer. If the Minister expects Boards to actually lead, it has to give them control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

It came in in 1999

ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Early_Childhood_and_Primary_Education/Primary_School_Curriculum/Primary_School_Curriculum_Documents/

In addition there are recommended guidelines for teaching time though they are not currently compulsory

into.ie/ROI/InformationforMedia/InformationforJournalists/TimeSpentonEachSubject.pdf

As far as I'm aware the syllabus and teaching allocation times are examined as part of the inspection of schools. I see no reason why a circular cannot be issued making the time allocations compulsory and a multi denominational syllabus introduced. To be honest it's a very odd absence when you look at all the other syllabi!

Sorry I'm not allowed post the full link yet

Links for anybody interested:
    http://ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Early_Childhood_and_Primary_Education/Primary_School_Curriculum/Primary_School_Curriculum_Documents/

http://www.into.ie/ROI/InformationforMedia/InformationforJournalists/TimeSpentonEachSubject.pdf

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Families outraged over lack of bus to Educate Together secondary schoo
    l Up to 15 families from Dublin, Meath and Louth claim they are eligible for a free bus service to Ballymakenny College, a new school, run jointly by Educate Together and the Louth Meath Education and Training Board.

The families say they are entitled to transport on the grounds that they are continuing their children's education in an Educate Together school, and its ethos is important to them.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/families-outraged-over-lack-of-bus-to-educate-together-secondary-school-30543360.html#sthash.O4XyhYzX.dpuf

Nash aims to solve school bus row
    The Department of Education initially refused to sanction a bus for all children on the basis that many of the children live closer to a VEC secondary school. 'This decision is patently wrong and ignores the unique ethos of Educate Together. I have spoken to my Ministerial colleagues and I understand that the Department of Education officials are to review their policy,' the minister stated. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/nash-aims-to-solve-school-bus-row-30540447.html#sthash.bhHbYEO8.dpuf
    - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/nash-aims-to-solve-school-bus-row-30540447.html#sthash.bhHbYEO8.dpuf

be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Advertisement

The Department of Education's attitude to all such matters is: if they don't want a decent, Irish, Catholic education they can go back to Russia or England or wherever it is they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The Department of Education's attitude to all such matters is: if they don't want a decent, Irish, Catholic education they can go back to Russia or England or wherever it is they came from.

Or they think a VEC is the same as any other et school and quit your moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I had some experience in a similar situation where kids attending a VEC school were deemed ineligible for places on the bus because they were not attending a RC school was was slightly closer (about 1km in the difference) to where they lived.

So the decision is made by the bus company, based on the Dept of Ed rule which state that transport should be to "the nearest school having regard to ethos and language".

However the current departmental interpretation of this rule is that for the purposes of this word "ethos" there are only three basic categories of school; Normal school, Gaelscoil, and Protestant School.

The School Transport Appeals Board rejected an appeal re the VEC school kids last year saying
    STAB wrote:
    "In relation to school transport provision, ethos relates to religious ethos and is in the context of provision for minority religions"
    This second part (the context) the appeals board have just pulled out of their ass, but what can you do when up against this kind of attitude? An appeal is the end of the road. In the event, the kids were allowed onto the existing bus route to the VEC school on a temporary "concessionary" basis. Probably only because they had kicked up a fuss. So an Irish solution to an Irish problem then.

I can see the problem for Dept of Ed and the Bus companies though. As more and more patrons emerge, each with a different ethos, more and more buses would have to be called into service, all going in different directions. Thence lies madness.

Compare to the situation in the USA. State schools are secular. State provides buses to the schools. Kids get on the bus at the nearest point to their house. Simple.

There's far too much pointless duplication of services in primary and secondary school, gender, ethos, language and traditional school location. I was travelling around west Kerry this summer and passed loads of tiny schools in the arse end of nowhere. There should be a fully state funded secular coed primary and secondary school for X head of population and let those who don't like it set up and fund their own privately funded schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Actually the rural ones aren't the issue as they've got to provide coverage in low density areas too.

The most shocking bit is the number or schools duplicated in cities and towns.

It's also divided by gender too in a lot of cases.

Each duplication is another set of management and building overheads pulling resources out that could fund smaller class sizes, rural schools, SNAs, sports facilities, science and art facilities, psychological supports etc.

You can't do these things logically in Ireland though. The vested interests aka Social Partners all need to get involved and extract maximum jobs for the boys and girls while ensuring their agenda gets imposed on the population too.

On a half hour drive I counted three small primary schools in one area in rural Kerry. There's no need to have three small schools within one half hour drive. Although where I live in Dublin there's also far too many schools, all fiercely protective of their own patch.

It's Ireland... We're loaded and can afford it.

Oh wait...

Schools are supposedly there for the children of an area. When we used to be citizens of a country - before we became consumers and customers of an economy - the schools were built in communities wherever that community might be.

Now the argument is to build mega-schools in the five centres of most economic advantage in the country and ship the units-of-learning in regardless of distance or stress.

Schools are supposedly there for the children of an area, but over 90% of them are really only there for children of parents willing to tolerate RC indoctrination.

You can't say that schools cater to a community if those schools indoctrinate and discriminate.

• Advertisement

Now the argument is to build mega-schools in the five centres of most economic advantage in the country and ship the units-of-learning in regardless of distance or stress.

No it isn't.
    The only argument being made is not to have duplicated state funded public resources that are prioritising people based on religious persuasion or gender

Merging some urban schools and where schools are duplicated in rural areas would mean more resources for rural education, not less.

Its a zero sum equation.

If you want 3, 4 and 5 different flavours of school in the same place then you'll have resources being used up on admin overheads and principals salleries that could have gone into something more useful like a rural school in an area that actually needs one.

Much of the duplication actually occurs most dramatically in the major centres of population.

Rural schools should be better organised though to provide maximum benifit per € spent and to ensure every community gets a fair level of access.

That's absolutely not the case now. It's all about what religious sponsors wanted in the past and the legacy of those decisons.

Advertisement