Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Penn wrote: »
    The lens flare was still awful in some scenes. At one point when Alice Eve is talking it looked her eyes were about to shoot out blue lasers.

I thought the android-esque member of the bridge ceew had a bright light shining from his chest ala iron man, but nope just lense flare!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just saw a great comment on a story about Into Darkness which really sums up the new films for me:

The bigger picture is, JJ Abrams has single-handledly fractured the psyche of the Trekkie universe. He has taken us on a ride into the Biff Tannen's criminally run, Vegas-like Hill Valley universe. And he wants to run with it, stick with it, bold and unrelentingly persevere with it. His movies have their highs and lows on their own merits, and both are cinematic pleasures more than they are pains. And as every Trekkie will confirm, new Star trek is still new Star Trek, YAY! Yet the broken psyche persists. Deep in every Trekkie is the distant cry "Save the clock tower!" For Abrams has been kind enough to leave Kirk with his ever-logical Spock, but he has forever robbed Janeway of her greatest friend Tuvok. What other losses do we give up to embrace Abrams' vision and continue with it? Or will we always yearn for Hill Valley to be plain, ordinary, lovely old Hill Valley?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watched First Contact. Horrible movie. I think what makes it worse is that the TNG crew are in it, butchering their TV characters. Abrams' has new actors & in a different Trek universe, so I think you'll definitely be more forgiving about the new Trek films after re-watching those horrible Trek films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Watched First Contact. Horrible movie. I think what makes it worse is that the TNG crew are in it, butchering their TV characters. Abrams' has new actors & in a different Trek universe, so I think you'll definitely be more forgiving about the new Trek films after re-watching those horrible Trek films.

First contact is easily the best trek movie after 2 (and maybe 4).

Yeah I love First Contact

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »

Granted it's been a few years since I last watched First Contact but I have fond memories of it and would class it as one of the best, if not the best Star Trek films. It had everything I loved about TNG, a smart script, some great action and it wasn't above having a little fun. Thinking about it now and I think it's about time I worked my way through all the films again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭pah

Granted it's been a few years since I last watched First Contact but I have fond memories of it and would class it as one of the best, if not the best Star Trek films. It had everything I loved about TNG, a smart script, some great action and it wasn't above having a little fun. Thinking about it now and I think it's about time I worked my way through all the films again.

While i enjoyed first contact. Jay is right about the butchering of TV characters. When did Picard go from peaceful diplomat to John McClane? The tagline could have been "Die hard - on the enterprise"

But they'd done episode on the show. Starship Mine wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You know what annoyed me most about this film? Its not the stupid story or the badly written characters, it was the scenes of the ship going into warp. When the ship flies off at warp, it leaves a blue glittery trail and there is just a moment of silence while the camera pans into the trail, but then you hear a "sparkling" sound (like a chandelier rocking) as it passes through the trail. That perfectly sums up how Abrahms sees his audience and what little respect he has for them.

In his eyes, the audience are infants, almost mindless morons, instantly distracted by anything and everything, and you must constantly be making sounds or sights to make sure they pay attention to the screen. The "sparkle" sounding warp trail and the constant lens flaring are the movie making equivalent of dangling keys in front of a babies face to get their attention and I cant help finding my intelligence insulted when I watch his films because of it.

which is really annoying because in the opening scene of ST09 with the Kelvin there a piece where there's an interior explosion, rushing air lots of noise and then pan to outside and it suddenly goes silent. I loved that bit, common sense and really noticeable. And now he's gone and shat even on that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pah wrote: »
    While i enjoyed first contact. Jay is right about the butchering of TV characters. When did Picard go from peaceful diplomat to John McClane? The tagline could have been "Die hard - on the enterprise"

it's brilliantly done because it has pushed him way over the edge to react as he normally never would but eventually realises it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People who think they butchered his character in First Contact and "McClaned" him have clearly forgotten what went on in the series.

Picard has never thought clearly about the Borg since he was assimilated.

Scholar, debater, philosopher he may have been......he was still more than happy to use a biological weapon of mass destruction to wipe out the Borg. Give Hugh a virus, send him back to the Borg as a Trojan horse and murder their whole race. He was ready to do it....he ordered them to do it and it took the whole crew an entire episode to convince him not to. In the TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

pah wrote: »

Because he had deep psychological issues, pertaining to the Borg, that were partially explored in his return home episode and I Borg. It was the reason that he was ordered to remain out of the battle, in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

which is really annoying because in the opening scene of ST09 with the Kelvin there a piece where there's an interior explosion, rushing air lots of noise and then pan to outside and it suddenly goes silent. I loved that bit, common sense and really noticeable. And now he's gone and shat even on that!!

I loved that part, yay a sci-fi movie that realises there's no sound in space, ohhh, wait, they've gone and dropped that in the next scene.

I can't wait to see how Gravity pulls it off, no sound bar the character voices and musical score giving the audio cues. Battlestar Galactica had something similar but even that had lasers and explosions in space too.

Would be great if there was no sound but you could see an expanding explosion. As that passes over the camera you get all the noise blasting too.

He did it later in the film too, during the space drop. Nothing but breathing until they passed into atmosphere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    I loved that part, yay a sci-fi movie that realises there's no sound in space, ohhh, wait, they've gone and dropped that in the next scene.

I can't wait to see how Gravity pulls it off, no sound bar the character voices and musical score giving the audio cues. Battlestar Galactica had something similar but even that had lasers and explosions in space too.

Hmmm, from what I recall they kept things fairly accurate, but got around the vacuum by allowing the audiences to hear the muffled gunfire through the radios in the pilots' helmets, along with the vibrations across their hull. I don't think we ever 'heard' any proper action or explosions in space, certainly not in the conventional sense we're talking about here...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, from what I recall they kept things fairly accurate, but got around the vacuum by allowing the audiences to hear the muffled gunfire through the radios in the pilots' helmets, along with the vibrations across their hull. I don't think we ever 'heard' any proper action or explosions in space, certainly not in the conventional sense we're talking about here...

You're right, it was never pew pew lasers, more vibrations through the cockpits and the like and dull sounds outside, Bear McCreary's work on the soundtrack was phenomenal stuff as well, the constant drums throughout the dogfights were brilliant. I'd love to see something akin to the space battle in Return of the Jedi but with no sound, I think it'd add more to the impact tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Firefly/Serenity have no sound in any of their space scenes that I can recall.

Oh and First Contact is easily one of the best Trek movies imo, up there with Wrath of Khan and Trek 09 for me. 4 is a personal favourite too and I always point to it when folks complain about certain aspects of Trek 09 (goofy humour, time travel etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Finally got around to seeing this.

I enjoyed the first one and this one lived up to the blockbuster title it got in the summer. Love Zachary Quinto as Spock, and is there a better actor than Benedict Cumberbatch at the moment? (probably to you but not to me :P )

Rewatching First Contact and loving it. It's everything you could want in a Star Trek film. An intelligent script with just the right amount of humour, great set pieces, a cast obviously having a blast and a real sense of wonder to it all. Picard going all gung ho makes a lot of sense when you think back over his experience with the Borg. He knows them like no other and understands that you cannot see them as anything other than mindless robots whose sole purpose is to conquer other races. His hatred of, and quest to destroy them is quite like Ahab in Mont Dick and adds a lot of layers to what could have been quite a simplistic action film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Rewatching First Contact and loving it. It's everything you could want in a Star Trek film. An intelligent script with just the right amount of humour, great set pieces, a cast obviously having a blast and a real sense of wonder to it all. Picard going all gung ho makes a lot of sense when you think back over his experience with the Borg. He knows them like no other and understands that you cannot see them as anything other than mindless robots whose sole purpose is to conquer other races. His hatred of, and quest to destroy them is quite like Ahab in Mont Dick and adds a lot of layers to what could have been quite a simplistic action film.

Wrath of Khan and First contact both used Moby Dick as a foundation. Two best films too IMO.

• Advertisement

Except that bit when The Borg travel to Earth in order to go back in time, when they could have just gone back anywhere in space then travelled to earth once back. It's still a fun film though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Peregrine Falcon

Except that bit when The Borg travel to Earth in order to go back in time, when they could have just gone back anywhere in space then travelled to earth once back. It's still a fun film though.

That's the problem with time travel, when the power exists to travel back in time whenever you want the story becomes ridiculous. Time travel should only be used as some sort of freak occurrence that can used in rare instances and circumstances.

Also if the Borg wanted to conquer earth they could just send 1000 cubes.

It's one of those things I can easily forgive. I'm assuming that the Borg tech had restrictions and it could only be used under certain circumstances. Could easily pick the film apart but while it lasted not once did I find myself annoyed by the logic or questioning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

It's one of those things I can easily forgive. I'm assuming that the Borg tech had restrictions and it could only be used under certain circumstances. Could easily pick the film apart but while it lasted not once did I find myself annoyed by the logic or questioning it.

Definitely.

We don't want to become a nation of pedants.

There probably should be a thread for movie gaffs/inconsistencies, though:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He knows them like no other and understands that you cannot see them as anything other than mindless robots whose sole purpose is to conquer other races.

It only took his whole crew to convince him of that in the episode 'I, Borg' :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    It only took his whole crew to convince him of that in the episode 'I, Borg' :o

That was before he was captured by te Borg I believe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That was before he was captured by te Borg I believe .

Nope, it was after it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nope, it was after it.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got to see the film this evening, and mostly enjoyed it. I liked the references to a certain previous Star Trek film along with a bit of role reversal in the events. I went in un-spoilered and haven't read all of this thread, so apologies if this has been covered before, but the climactic scenes action scenes were somewhat spolied for me by a major science blunder - or blunders:

When the Enterprise was above the Earth, and lost power, it started falling straight down.
    - That tells me it wasn't in an orbit, but just hanging over a spot on the ground with the assistance of its anti-gravity system.
    - the first obvious question to ask is "why not enter a stable orbit?", but that's neither here nor there. I'm sure I remember that the Enterprise would enter a "standard orbit" when visiting other planets, if it was mentioned at all. I'm sure they had their reasons.
    - You can't "fall out" of a stable orbit, you just keep on going round like the International Space Station does. It would have been the safer option by far.

So, they start falling straight down, and we're told that they must regain power or they will "incinerated".
    - first of all, that wasn't really a risk. It would have been had they been re-entering from orbit, which would have meant carrying a tremendous horizontal velocity (and thus kinetic energy) which they'd need to shed. But they weren't in orbit.
    - Every spacecraft we've sent in to orbit has had that problem - it was why the Space Shuttle's tiles were so crucial to its safe return, and why the Columbia and its crew were destroyed when they failed.
    - we already have a real-world example of a craft that falls directly down from space, and is able to survive just fine without a heat shield: SpaceShip One, the prototype for the forthcoming Virgin Galactic service. It "feathers" its wing to let the atmosphere keep its velocity from getting too high.
    - in the film, we do indeed see that the Enterprise falls almost all the way down to Earth, to cloud level. If it had been at risk of incinerating, it would have done so long before that point.

Like I said, I haven't gone looking for spoilers, so I bet someone else on the 'Net has posted a better explanation of why that scene gets a "F" in Science. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Because new Star Trek moved across to Sci Fantasy more than Sci Fiction. More than previous films anyway

Advertisement