Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Want Buying Players From Un-Managed Clubs To Be Allowed?

Options
  • 02-07-2014 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Right lads there has been a lot of debating from people about whether the option to allow managers to buy from un-managed clubs should be allowed or not.

Each side have their arguments. One side believe it's better to not allow it as it protects clubs from being stripped of their players and leaving them unattractive to new potential managers, they also worry the super rich clubs will hoover up the best talent.

Myself and others believe it's leading to managers getting bored and has caused at least some of our managers to leave the GW as it has made it next to impossible to buy good players for mid and small teams. As it leaves them open to having to swap what little good players they have, where before they could use cash to pick up good players from un-managed clubs.

I would ask each side to please present your views in a calm and constructive manner so everyone gets a chance to be informed on the opinion of each camp and make a decision they are confident with.

Mac could I ask you to please send a GW PM with a link to this thread so every manager gets a chance to vote please?

Do You Want To Be Able To Buy Players From Un-Managed Clubs? 8 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    bazarakustupac_healydanwhite88Seamo87king size mars barJimmy Rabbitte SnrBurlap_SackThe Governor 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'll lotto Icardi off to anyone who votes No... :P

Haha, joke obviously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

No
    I'm just gonna post what I had in the main thread as it's the same as what I'd post here.

I'd support the yes side. Here's my take. A lot of lads have left and I think its also due to the difficulty of getting in good players. Take a look at the TL, Ajax and Juve are the only managed ones selling for cash. You could say Ajax are the only ones selling realistically decent players for a small team, two 88's. All 89 & up are p/e (even my own but its the way the world economy unfortunately)

Take West Brom for example, there's a big balance there and they have maybe 3 players worth p/eing. If you took over and wanted to improve you'd have to ship of their 3 best lads and buy a few 88's, where are they then gonna get 89 and above with cash?

Now I do get you're point when lads say they can uncover young gems and use them, thats grand, but some of us have time to scout loads of players while other might not. Do ye want a GW thats mostly filled or a half empty one with only lads that have time to research players?

Anyone thats doesn't know I took over FC Basel who had been stripped and this was my experience:
    I took over FC Basel a few months ago, the highest rated player remaining was an 86. Due to the sold players I was left with a decent kitty which I then used to snap up some 87's to improve the team. I knuckled down and got to work.

I found it next to impossible to buy the likes of 88's from managed clubs and any players they had listed as the prices were astronomical compared to a players value, there were a few times I almost quit cause I found the gulf between a players value and actual sale price absolutely crazy.

The only reason I've even managed to build my club up someways is the fact I was given two 88's for their value price. The only reason I have two 89's + a bunch of other 88's is the fact I bought them for around their value from clubs which had become unmanaged, compared to probably paying two to three times the value if it was from a managed club. I have looked at externals and their aren't that many 89 players there, there are some 88's but you have to take into account their ratings and how they are playing in RL. A lot of those 88's are close to droppping to 87's meaning a newbie manager is taking a serious risk purchasing especially if their kitty is small.

Going by the current player price economy if a small team wants to upgrade to a decent 88 or 89 they will most likely have sell a bunch of 86 and 87's, usually only externals will buy those and won't go too much over their value price, leaving them with a small squad and little return. Say I sold Charlie Adam rated 87 now for his value of 6m, would that get me a decent 88 at a managed club? Would it fcuk, unless he was playing crap and due a drop ratings wise. Even now there's a player listed valued 4.5m with a minimum fee of 15m, that's not a go at the manager as it's the same with nearly every deal.

The majority of talented youngsters and players deemed worthy for p/x deals are already at big clubs so it's essentlially a moot point doing p/x deals if your not a big team here.

I get the fact about someone taking over a raided club but there's always money there to bring in a few players and then they in turn can pick up one or two decent lads from a manger less team.

Now a reply I got on that thread was if buying from unmnaged was off, you wouldn't need to rebuild, however remember it was already off for a season or two and lots clubs were stripped, however it also allowed for rebuilding from unmanaged clubs. See if it was on from day 1 it would be grand, but the horse has bolted imo.

If I were still at FC Basel after it got turned on where would I have got players? I was lucky that I got to move to Bremen and had some good players to swap.

AT the end of the day I don't care whether a vote would pass or not, but I can guarantee it's going to end up with a lot of managers leaving, mostly new lads unless they are lucky enough to get a team with lots of good p/e potential, which lets face it won't happen as more established lads will apply.

See the way I see it there's only a few options to correct this:

1. Lads start selling for cash around a players value, has been tried and no one will do it as your most likely fecked if others don't follow suit.

2. Squad caps, meaning more young prospects available and spread out, caps can't be enforced.

3. Allow buy from unmanaged, lads out bidding each other to get good players, leaving a sizable kitty and in return new manager using it to buy from other unmanaged and pick up a few decent players the rare time a big club says feck it I'll help the newbie out. I've done it, tonics done it and we've explained our experiences, him more so as look at the Kiev squad he made from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

No
    Voted yes

No
    Tbh either way it will be grand get out outta the way with a fresh vote, should stop the debating for another season at least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

to be fair, I can see the merit on both sides ...

I've been trying to sign a half good 89 defender and have struggled to get close to getting on ... so being able to by from unmanaged would have helped here....

On the other hand, when you go knocking at the doors of some of the big teams now asking for one of their 88,even 89's you get told no coz he might rise ...so my fear would be that those with the deeper pockets will buy those players that from the unmanaged and wont move them on when the smaller teams come looking and will only use them to upgrade ...

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    to be fair, I can see the merit on both sides ...

I've been trying to sign a half good 89 defender and have struggled to get close to getting on ... so being able to by from unmanaged would have helped here....

On the other hand, when you go knocking at the doors of some of the big teams now asking for one of their 88,even 89's you get told no coz he might rise ...so my fear would be that those with the deeper pockets will buy those players that from the unmanaged and wont move them on when the smaller teams come looking and will only use them to upgrade ...

I don't care how I sound but that's why I buy youth. So they rise to the first team or they rise enough to use in part ex to get me better players. If this goes through I'll be on a shopping spree!

My post from the other thread:
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The problem is when you get down to 20 super teams and 60 crap teams and a ruined gameworld because each team is stripped to the bone and every last even slightly talented player is snapped up

I wouldn't mind but I've millions upon millions to spend and I'm sure I'd pick up some great players if this rule was changed but id rather lads coming in for a fair chance and they weren't stuck with 25 86 rated players/pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Tbh either way it will be grand get out outta the way with a fresh vote, should stop the debating for another season at least :pac:

Not really, we still have all of this season, then another full season before it can be changed,

Doing simple maths and based on the statistical history of this forum there will only be another 167 times it gets brought up again in discussion leading to a minimum of another 2 polls :pac:

In all seriousness though this one will be out of date by the time it comes to implementing it.

I don't care how I sound but that's why I buy youth. So they rise to the first team or they rise enough to use in part ex to get me better players. If this goes through I'll be on a shopping spree!

this would stop the smaller teams from improving because they wouldnt have the 'improvements' you look for or the money to buy them from unmanaged origionally.

No
    Doing simple maths and based on the statistical history of this forum there will only be another 167 times it gets brought up again in discussion leading to a minimum of another 2 polls :pac

Well then there's only one solution...

Everyone gets a motorcycle helmet and a crow bar, last man standing decides! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

BOO!!!!!!!!

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    BOO!!!!!!!!

What's the problem? Everyone is free to bid on these same players that are added to the DB without stripping teams that can be managed

What's the problem? Everyone is free to bid on these same players that are added to the DB without stripping teams that can be managed

I was kinda joking but that is exactly why a squad cap should be introduced, to stop players like yourself and me in fairness buying everyone. I wasn't referring to players added to the database. I am talking about the bigger teams plundering unmanaged teams if they are allowed.

You just admitted that is what you plan to do.

Actually thinking about it, it is the same with recently added youth players really, the bigger teams bag all the prospects while the little teams get none.

As an example, if the rule is changed you will probably outbid most div 3/4 teams for Wilfred Bony, an 89 rated striker who you will use as squad filler maybe he will get a run in the cups. He would be a star player for most of those teams. I don't believe that is fair.

I was kinda joking but that is exactly why a squad cap should be introduced, to stop players like yourself and me in fairness buying everyone. I wasn't referring to players added to the database. I am talking about the bigger teams plundering unmanaged teams if they are allowed.

You just admitted that is what you plan to do.

Actually thinking about it, it is the same with recently added youth players really, the bigger teams bag all the prospects while the little teams get none.

As an example, if the rule is changed you will probably outbid most div 3/4 teams for Wilfred Bony, an 89 rated striker who you will use as squad filler maybe he will get a run in the cups. He would be a star player for most of those teams. I don't believe that is fair.

And I don't believe that players wanting to join and being landed with a ravaged team consisting of crap players is fair.

The bolded part simply isn't true. Just look at the transfers over the last few weeks, it's big and small teams, it's people who are bothered to have a look

I know before I even look at a free agent that there'll be the usual one or two managers interested or already have a bid in. Everyone is free to bid on these, they just don't

And I don't believe that players wanting to join and being landed with a ravaged team consisting of crap players is fair.

The bolded part simply isn't true. Just look at the transfers over the last few weeks, it's big and small teams, it's people who are bothered to have a look

I know before I even look at a free agent that there'll be the usual one or two managers interested or already have a bid in. Everyone is free to bid on these, they just don't

Suppose i wasn't clear, i am referring to the likes of Bakkali or Janujaz, free agents who already have a reputation. I can see your point over the random lads thou. Player 88744 and so on who nobody wants.

Suppose i wasn't clear, i am referring to the likes of Bakkali or Janujaz, free agents who already have a reputation. I can see your point over the random lads thou. Player 88744 and so on who nobody wants.

They all start off as Player xxxxx The teams who bring them in now could have a Messi, Ronaldo, Janujaz (sp?) or even just a riser they can use to trade for the likes of Baumann or Otamendi like people did with me :)

Leave Adnan out of this, I p/x'd him fair and square! :D

Close the poll up there to feic, while we're ahead like :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Voted no.

Reality is within 72 hours of it being allowed, the top most teams will be the ones who have gotten stronger; they will easily outbid smaller teams, take all the best players and by the time new managers join, there'll be no one left both at the teams they take over AND the teams they can buy from.

It's a nice idea in theory, but in practice will do irreparable damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

No
    A big problem lies within the engine of the game. No club could possible contain 100 players without them becoming disgruntled in a very short time. Player concerns don't change quick enough IMO. If they were a bit more realistic you couldn't hoard loads of players as they'd all be p*ssed off in no time and you'd have to move them on, ie. a more open market.

*note: I am not having a go at people with loads of players, sure I have a squad of 94!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Voted no for a lot of the reasons that have been espoused above. The bigger teams will be in a position to take advantage and the teams that are unmanaged will become even less attractive to new managers. There's an element of "pulling the ladder behind us" about this proposal, but I also think (as I've mentioned before) that this is natural progression in a developed league.

Eventually it just becomes unattractive to start fresh with a lower end team when teams are already stuffed to the gills with the better players. Of course without a squad cap (let's not go there) there is no long term incentive either. While you might be interested in playing if all the established players are taken but you have a chance to go after some of the next generation, the reality is that all of the good prospects that are in the game are also already taken. Sure new players are added all the time and you might even get a couple of them, but there's no real chance to build up a squad & there's no massive strategic element around age management etc as there simply aren't enough good prospects to go around.

The difference between this and say Football Manager is the unrealistic squad sizes which is exactly why I think a reboot is coming. Either that or a much smaller league of 20/40 teams (although even that would only give you a couple of seasons with the current setup)

The above isn't a reflection of people in the game btw, as Jimmy Rabitte says above, it's a reflection of the limited game engine that the game exists in.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

As stated before I think the problem is the size of squads more than anything else. I am at FC Twente and had to spend my last 10 million on a 28 yr old LB so have no funds now again. If its set to yes I still won't be able to buy players so obviously wont be any use to me but the bigger clubs with cash will benefit again.

I can not understand the need for any more than 30 in your first team squad and a max 15-20 youths. At the end of the day you can only play 11 and if squad caps were set there would be plenty of players for all teams and much more interest from prospective players as they would at least be able to make a half decent team. As it stands smaller teams are being striped of their better players in the hope of getting in possibly 2 x88/89s because lets face it cash is of no use in most cases.

I know guys have spent a long time building squads but imo these large squads are whats killing the game and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

Ps voted no

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭modo85

I think the main thing coming from this is that the issue of the top teams having all the money so will take all the best players.

There is a way around this however but might be a bit ott. What if there was a draw and every managed team was put into it and let's say valencia were drawn number one and inter number 2 well then we open the players from unmanaged clubs and the person drawn number 1 gets first pick on his player?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

modo85 wrote: »
    I think the main thing coming from this is that the issue of the top teams having all the money so will take all the best players.

There is a way around this however but might be a bit ott. What if there was a draw and every managed team was put into it and let's say valencia were drawn number one and inter number 2 well then we open the players from unmanaged clubs and the person drawn number 1 gets first pick on his player?

That works with a small number of managers who agree to it, but would be near impossible to implement in this world, given the number of people and the fact a lot don't post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I have to agree with the lads that are concerned that teams will be plundered by the bigger clubs should this rule be changed.

If an 87/88 rated youngish player is at one of the unmanaged clubs, the bigger clubs (me included) would be able to bid a lot more than what a lot of the smaller clubs would be able to afford.
    When I was at AZ, it was practically impossible to get theses 87/88 rated players that would have vastly improved my team, but I can get them now when they wouldn't get near my first XI.

There is merit in both sides of the argument, but I'll be voting no for this reason.

No
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    I have to agree with the lads that are concerned that teams will be plundered by the bigger clubs should this rule be changed.

If an 87/88 rated youngish player is at one of the unmanaged clubs, the bigger clubs (me included) would be able to bid a lot more than what a lot of the smaller clubs would be able to afford.
    When I was at AZ, it was practically impossible to get theses 87/88 rated players that would have vastly improved my team, but I can get them now when they wouldn't get near my first XI.

There is merit in both sides of the argument, but I'll be voting no for this reason.

I'm deliberately trying not to get involved in these debates anymore as they have a tendancy to both solve nothing and turn nasty...

That being said.....

There is something that nobody has mentioned yet, I'll go along with the idea that bigger teams have an advantage to buying these players should buying from unmanaged be turned on, but..... If they did buy one of these players would it not free up other players within the big clubs current squad for transfer??? Just because they had the means to bring in a player does not necessarily mean the end of the transfer merry-go-round if they bag said player...

For me there is no scenario where allowing buying from unmanaged damages the market and for me that's the best part of the game, of course there is the flip side where these clubs will be plundered but there is not exactly a que around the corner to take them over as is...

Take say Podokski for example, what a waste of a good player, he could be the player that makes a d2-d4 manager that is disillusioned with the market/game stick about, he could improve any D2-D4 starting line up and it could be the manager who has bags of cash that is getting annoyed with the peraistant 'no, not selling' who is thinking about leaving the GW, it's this type of transfer that could swing their decision to quit....

Just my 2c

I could buy Podolski and use him in cup games or as back up, how does that benefit anyone but me?

I understand your reasons for staying quiet but hopefully we can all keep it respectful

No
    I could buy Podolski and use him in cup games or as back up, how does that benefit anyone but me?

I understand your reasons for staying quiet but hopefully we can all keep it respectful

Agreed, but let's run with that, let's say you got podolski, would that not free up a striker in your squad??

• Advertisement

Had a decent reply but it disappeared, will get back to you later

Advertisement