Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Beyond **SPOILERS FROM POST 566 ONWARD**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Personally I really liked the first one and enjoyed into the darkness for what it was. I'd like to see them take a bit of a risk with the third one. Kill off a main character kind of thing.

Like what has been said above I'd love another show more then a film. Mix of DS9 and Voyager sounds like a winner. Wasn't a huge fan of Voyager at the time I much preferred DS9 but it had some pretty good episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Like others have said/hinted at, I kinda hope the next movie fails. Then give it a few years and bring Star Trek back to the small screen where it belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

At the very least it should cut down on the non stop lense flair, plus it really can't be any worse than the previous two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Adamantium wrote: »
    Trek does seem sort of ill-fiting for today's zeitgeist.

That's exactly it. I liked the reboot movies, but I didn't feel there was much in the way of 'Star Trek' in them, they were homages maybe, dressed up to appeal to modern tastes. I suppose being big screen blockbusters, that's fair enough...a lot was riding on the success of the movies, & risks were likely not part of the plan. They were better movies than any of the TNG films I feel, so while it's a step in the right direction, I'm not sure where the rails can possibly take Star Trek this time.

Todays tv culture is so different to how it was when Star Trek was in its prime. People have different expectations from shows these days, than they did in the 90's...the message is different. I don't see Star Trek returning to the small screen any time soon, & if it does, I'd worry that the basic premise of Star Trek is just too different to what is expected today, and that the two are just inherently incompatible.

• Advertisement

At the very least it should cut down on the non stop lense flair, plus it really can't be any worse than the previous two...

No.

seven-day-geek-star-wars-episode-7-evil-dead-the-dark-knight-rises-iron-man-3-amazing-spider-man-2-world-of-warcraft-127278-470-75.jpg

So that's that then , it's official.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/roberto-orci-to-direct-star-trek-3-1201180140/

C'mon everybody, it's alright, it's going be ok (lies), have a clip. Things aren't so bad now, are they?

I just realised Chris Pine has directed a film before, but not Orci!

tBTrGh2.png

238.gif
    isquCrg7Yr3Fs.png
    d7e14310c0261a3c5f84b11d7f8e91f4.jpg

Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Trek 3 director: 'Sequel will be closer to original series'

Orci said that the next adventure will take place in "deep space".
    "In I]Into Darkness[/I they set out finally where the original series started. The first two films - especially the 2009 I]Star Trek[/I - was an origin story.

"It was about them coming together. So they weren't the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie."

He added: "So in this movie they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space."

Star Trek 3 is expected to be released in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the science fiction series.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a580844/star-trek-3-director-sequel-will-be-closer-to-original-series.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter

tenuous, closer to the original as they'll be in deep space, right... Not closer in terms of character focus, or being plot driven rather than a simple minded explosionfest I am going to assume

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

tenuous, closer to the original as they'll be in deep space, right... Not closer in terms of character focus, or being plot driven rather than a simple minded explosionfest I am going to assume

In fairness, it's a new director so the is room for some hope of change. Not that I didn't enjoy the first two but they were more action than "Star Trek".

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't get the hate for the newest incarnations of Star Trek - as someone who has grown up watching the numerous series (all bar Enterprise, but that's because even I thought it was muck) and whose happiest childhood memories were from watching Next Generation as a child, I thoroughly enjoyed them. It was so good to get a proper blockbuster Star Trek movie because, truth be told, most of them bar Wrath of Khan and First Contact weren't the best. And sure, there could have been less lens flare, but that aside, Abrams made a good movie.

The guy knows movies and you can tell he loves them through every single one he makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,426 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

William Shatner, who played Captain James T. Kirk in the original '60s series and movies, says J.J. Abrams contacted him about the 2016 film, part of a rebooted big screen series that stars 34-year-old Chris Pine as his character, following recent rumors. Abrams directed the first two new movies in the hit sci-fi franchise and serves as a producer for the third, which is being helmed by Roberto Orci. Abrams has not commented.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/583452/william-shatner-to-appear-in-star-trek-3-original-captain-kirk-responds-to-rumors

how can they jam him in at that age, he's already dead when he's 20 years younger!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

how can they jam him in at that age, he's already dead when he's 20 years younger!
    :rolleyes:
    Oh, I imagine quite a few people have forgotten Star Trek: Generations ... I can't believe that was twenty years ago already.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

That never happened in the new continuity, of course. Only old future Spock remembers that.

But we learned in Into Darkness that Spock and Kirk have changed roles in the new continuity, with Kirk dying and Spock yelling KHAAAAAN!, so presumably in the new continuity it is Spock who is played by a fat bald ham actor, and future Kirk will end up thin and logical. So if Shatner is in Trek 3, he'll be playing alternate future Spock, not Kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That never happened in the new continuity, of course. Only old future Spock remembers that.

But we learned in Into Darkness that Spock and Kirk have changed roles in the new continuity, with Kirk dying and Spock yelling KHAAAAAN!, so presumably in the new continuity it is Spock who is played by a fat bald ham actor, and future Kirk will end up thin and logical. So if Shatner is in Trek 3, he'll be playing alternate future Spock, not Kirk.

Like blowing the timeline up like a balloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Whatever happened to THE COLOR in the ST films? After all,
    the best reason in the world to buy a COLOR TV, back in '60s
    America, was STAR TREK.

Now it's all DUMBED DOWN TERRIBLE GREY HUED COLORS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

At this stage who cares which run of the mill director/writer the next generic space action movie has. Give it to Michael Bay. He'll make loads of money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

bnt wrote: »
    Oh, I imagine quite a few people have forgotten Star Trek: Generations ... I can't believe that was twenty years ago already.

Eurgh, thanks for that :(
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Great, now can they remove him from script duties as well please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good riddance. The guy has no experience. There's a bunch of TV actors on Mad Men, Supernatural to name a few, that have spent more time behnd the camera. Michal Bay? Jesus no. Bad enough these things already appeal to the broadest audience possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, Edgar Wright is rumoured to take over? I'm no mad fan of the new Star Trek movies, but the prospect of Wright helming one has me very interested! Hopefully there'll be a vaguely coherent script this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That would be epic. Wonder if he'd boost the role of Scotty in it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

WE want THE COLOR back. NTSC users need not apply.

All TOS fans sign up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

id love to see nolan or fincher take on a star trek, i dont think fincher would like the restraints a ST film would have, but still they would both direct the **** out of it, never gonna happen, but i can live in hope:)

and also get rid of the old touchstones, no need for it, its just completely reversing what they achieved in the first film, i mean the universe is so big that they could do so many things, but instead they just go and thread old waters,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, Edgar Wright is rumoured to take over? I'm no mad fan of the new Star Trek movies, but the prospect of Wright helming one has me very interested! Hopefully there'll be a vaguely coherent script this time.

I can't think of anything he's done that sort of scale.

I feel like the series needs a proper space battle (the previous two had the Enterprise just getting dicked on mercilessly).

At the same time, a more intimate affair that gets back to the roots of the TV show would be a welcome change of pace after 20 years of mostly brainless, generic sci-fi, garbage ST films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gbear wrote: »
    I can't think of anything he's done that sort of scale.

I dunno, I'd argue that the question of scale isn't just about sheer numbers or the 'bigness' of something on-screen, but how the camera makes events and stakes feel epic in scope. And on that front, Wright has shown an ability to use the language of cinema to 'epic' up even the most mundane of settings: Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz being two good examples of this. Sure, they were used to comic effect, but it still demonstrated he knew how to give a scene some simple scale using the camera. Star Trek could suit him very well.
    Gbear wrote: »
    At the same time, a more intimate affair[...]

Absolutely no chance of this happening. It'd be great to see, but the emptiness of the last two films suggests there won't be the kind of introspection on the level of Wrath of Kahn anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I sincerely hope this movie flops.

The new Star Trek is Star Trek in name only and as long as these films are ongoing there is no chance of a return to the good old days of TNG/DS9 (even later seasons of Enterprise).

I realise that these movies bombing could mark the death of Star Trek completely but I'd still prefer that to what we have now... and a part of me likes to believe that once Paramount get bored of it Netflix or HBO could pick it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Backspinswerve

humanji wrote: »
    That would be epic. Wonder if he'd boost the role of Scotty in it. :D

You mean to someone who is actually believable as the chief engineer of a starship rather than a dopey fool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Backspinswerve

I sincerely hope this movie flops.

The new Star Trek is Star Trek in name only and as long as these films are ongoing there is no chance of a return to the good old days of TNG/DS9 (even later seasons of Enterprise).

I realise that these movies bombing could mark the death of Star Trek completely but I'd still prefer that to what we have now... and a part of me likes to believe that once Paramount get bored of it Netflix or HBO could pick it up.

Would love if they made movies set in the universe post DS9 and voyager.

Advertisement