Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concussions in Rugby

Options

Comments

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/hed-go-wandering-hed-fall-over-he-had-no-control-over-anything-2/
    “We would call on global sports to recognise that head injuries acquired during sporting pursuits can lead to long-term problems for people. One of our frustrations is that we’re battling concussion on a sport-by-sport basis, region by region, rather than just accepting that the good work in America carried out over the past decade has told us what we need to know: repeatedly injuring your brain over and over again is not good for some people. And it’s not just a boxer problem, it’s not just an American football problem, it’s not just an ice hockey problem, it’s a rugby problem, it’s a football problem, it’s a global problem.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

:eek:

I've stated my opinion on this thread before but again, as with Hape's story, that's shocking...

My bet is loose headgear mandatory within five years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Concussions are caused by the head being rocked and the brain hitting against the skull, not by the force applied to the outside of the skull. I don't see how loose headgear would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

Unfortunately I know a far bit about concussions. Headgear can make the damage worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

I've read and posted here before so I know you lads are right.

Headgear is the only lipservice the IRB can pay to the concussion issue IMO.

Anything else would/should destroy rugby as we know it.

I played rugby (badly;)) and was lucky enough to never get a concussion (never got the ball on the wing either!)

BUT played centre-half for a sh!te soccer side when I was 10-14. Headed the ball about 100 times a game - I still remember going home after games with a headache and having to lay under covers in dark all sat/sun afternoon.

Looking back that was a mild concussion to me...Hopefully my brain won't be too fizzed (save for bad posts!)

• Advertisement

Craig Clarke retires.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/#ConnachtNews
    The New Zealand born lock has suffered a number of concussions over an extended period of time which has contributed to his decision.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seems to have been lost in the other retirement story today.

Very sad, going from captaining your super xv team to league victory, to retirement 10 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Played against Kenny a good few times when he was with ALSAA (Swords).
    Hadn't heard he had died and was saddened and shocked by the news.
    I've only ever been concussed twice, one so bad that I was off work for a week because I couldn't even walk in a straight line or stand on one leg for the week.
    When I think that some of these guys were getting f concussed several times a season, it sends a shiver down my spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Listening to MOC's interview and his comments on concussion highlighted good and bad. They're slaves to the protocols. If a player fails at any point, they're back to square one and the situation is reviewed. Of course, if a player is able to bluff the protocols and tests, then they're back on the field 7 days later.

On the plus side, he said that it's the doctors call. If the doctor radios up to him and says the player has received a knock to the head and should leave he goes with it without any comment or discussion on the matter and the player's day is done.

MPs in England to discuss setting funding aside for research into this.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/228937.html

• Advertisement

Luke Marshall in Concussion doubt again
    :(

Yes the testing was all fine, but we've read Jackman and others' who've 'gamed' the tests.

Are we watching a guy slowly get killed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Luke Marshall in Concussion doubt again
    :(

Yes the testing was all fine, but we've read Jackman and others' who've 'gamed' the tests.

Are we watching a guy slowly get killed here?

I'm hoping from reading that it's more of a case of them being ultra cautious. Despite there being no evidence of a concussion they are still playing it safe, gaming the tests or no. If there's any risk at all of another concussion then I'd like to think they'd have him sit this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

It seems that Marshall can hardly go a game without getting some sort of head-bang/concussion, this is extremely worrying. I can see him being forced to retire if this comtinues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Woody1997 wrote: »
    It seems that Marshall can hardly go a game without getting some sort of head-bang/concussion, this is extremely worrying. I can see him being forced to retire if this comtinues.

Your more likely to get another concussion following a previous one. Some people are extremely prone to this. Honestly if I was Marshall id be weighing up sitting out for a year. Your talking about a guy who is 23 who is potentially putting the rest of life in jeopardy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Stev_o wrote: »
    Your more likely to get another concussion following a previous one. Some people are extremely prone to this. Honestly if I was Marshall id be weighing up sitting out for a year. Your talking about a guy who is 23 who is potentially putting the rest of life in jeopardy.

Wouldn't surprise me if he had to retire before the world cup tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can anyone in the know say if it's a technique issue, or simply a physical medical issue that he's prone to. .... or just Ridiculous bad luck??

I don't think he had any concussion issues before his Ireland debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Can anyone in the know say if it's a technique issue, or simply a physical medical issue that he's prone to. .... or just Ridiculous bad luck??

Once you get one your more likely to receive another one. Some people get it worse then others. People like Marshall are usually told to retire or risk serious brain trauma.

"Recognise and remove" from the IRB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Several of the clashes have been with his own team mates so I don't think I'd put it solely down to bad luck. I know against Italy, Paddy Jackson slammed into him. Earlier this season, Robbie Diack smashed him with a knee. I think the initial one against France may have been a team mate also.

There's a lot of bad luck involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MPs in England to discuss setting funding aside for research into this.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/228937.html

Why not just look at the results from America? Seems like poor use of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Palinpropism

Article by Shontayne Harper in NZ Herald called "My Battle With Concussion"....think everyone should read it if they're interested in concussions in rugby. Its pretty chilling. Cant post it cause I'm a newwwb.

Also it sounds very suspect that Marshall has benefited from a poor baseline cognitive test from pre season as many retired pros now claim is rife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Article by Shontayne Harper in NZ Herald called "My Battle With Concussion"....think everyone should read it if they're interested in concussions in rugby. Its pretty chilling. Cant post it cause I'm a newwwb.

Posted a few weeks ago
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11264856

Pretty harrowing reading of Shontayne Hape's experience of concussions.

Pretty shocking stuff alright. Especially the attitude of the coaches in france.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Both big Dev and Jonny Sexton were replaced after getting concussions today, I have confidence that Ireland are protecting our players to a greater level than other nations and teams.

I'm happy these boys didn't play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TBH I'm not sure Sexton going off was our choice. They were working on his shoulder when a doctor, not from the Irish team, came on and basically brought him off to the concussion bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

.ak wrote: »
    TBH I'm not sure Sexton going off was our choice. They were working on his shoulder when a doctor, not from the Irish team, came on and basically brought him off to the concussion bin.

Worrying that our doctors didnt pick up on it if that is the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

wprathead wrote: »
    Worrying that our doctors didnt pick up on it if that is the case..

Ah I think they were looking at it allright, a lot of head holding and getting him to take his time etc. But they were drawing it out, I think the onsite doctor just came over and told them he had to go off for a check.

That's just going on what I saw on screen tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2014/06/teenager-left-in-enduced-coma-after.html

I know its league but the same principles apply. Very worrying, particularly the case with the second-imoact syndrome. You would have thought his coaches would have been more careful with all the media attention this topic has been getting lately. I sincerely hope that people are going back on to the pitch after getting head knocks at grass roots level, unfortunately I feel that this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Some more comments on concussions and brain injuries but denying that CTE does not exist.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_9354113,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jack01986 wrote: »
    Some more comments on concussions and brain injuries but denying that CTE does not exist.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_9354113,00.html

I read this article and it caught me completely by surprise. Don't know if the guy is talking nonsense or not, because I have no clue about the field. Interesting to hear his view on it though.

Advertisement