Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most ridiculous argument you've ever heard??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Next year is our year : Every Liverpool fan since the Premiership started.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

alice. wrote: »
    Tomato is a fruit!!!!

"Intelligence is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad" - Somebody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

On what logic ? full moon is closer to the earth and effects the fluids in the brain ? yes the moon has a slight elliptical orbit, but mostly it's not directly illuminated by the sun, that's whey you cant see all of it .....

Logic?

Mr.Spock believed in logic, and look what happened to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Next year is our year : Every Liverpool fan since the Premiership started.

:pac:

It is next year though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

"Intelligence is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad" - Somebody

egg plant / aubergine is a berry

• Advertisement

Had a look on wikipedia. Apparently banana is classified as a berry too. Off the the useless facts thread I go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Had a look on wikipedia. Apparently banana is classified as a berry too. Off the the useless facts thread I go

I looked up banana too and this caught my attention more than the berry part :pac:

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/11904/1-1/adult-chiquita-banana-costume.jpg

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I looked up banana too and this caught my attention more than the berry part :pac:

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/11904/1-1/adult-chiquita-banana-costume.jpg

Remind me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Two brothers arguing and one says to the other 'f*ck you and all belong to you'

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

The correct style of marching used by the FCA (PDF)!

Walking home from a night club while in college many moons ago, two mates got into a drunken scrap over it. I stood there in disbelief over what had just transpired. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 alice.

haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

danniemcq wrote: »
    I've had some classics recently,

"psychics are real"
    "a full moon makes people go mad"
    "dogs eyes attract lightening"
    "consoles are better than pc's"
    "horoscopes are true"
    "Coldplay are a good band"

Sigh

said no one ever

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Asda Customer Service Pizza Complaint

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAeNcNJVjA&feature=kp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

any argument were people don't check their basic facts. which in fairness is probably the majority of them.

case in point, watching prime time debate on higher education last week and some bint called jackie lavin challenged brian lucey on the poor return on the amount of money being put into third level in ireland. how much money does the government spend on this jackie? he asks. after some bluster, she replied I don't know.

how anyone can argue about something they know nothing about is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

You're a towel!

I actually know someone who will shout this to end an argument they are losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

But also the cutest.

A lot of people are actually missing the point of the Thread Title -in a way- in that they are listing assertions. So for example the poster who listed "psychics are real" is listing a ridiculous and unfounded assertion - not a ridiculous argument.

By far - and I mean FAR - the most ridiculous and most precipitated argument on the planet has got to be "Well you can not prove there is NOT a god can you?".

Because that is something actually presented _as an actual positive argument for_ the existence of a god by the vast majority of subscribers to the particular fantasy.

And one wonders if we installed a simple 101 course on "onus of proof" and "negating an unfalsifiable assertion" into schools around age 10 - would the world - - the religion forum on here - and after hours threads - not look like a totally different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I thought this was going to be more of the "why do you like riding hippos?" type of argument. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

Adyx wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be more of the "why do you like riding hippos?" type of argument. :(

Hippos need love too?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Gay marriage will lead to paedophiles getting married so they can adopt kids.

That is one of the most ridiculous, yet ingenious ideas for a paedo i have ever heard!

Also you have a very fitting username for a paedo ;) (not actually accusing you of being a paedo! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Drinking a few pints and driving improves your driving. Couple of guys on the motoring from will argue that forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Lou.m wrote: »

But also the cutest.
    Funny as fook. He made some valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Anything in the comments section of a youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the "cyclists are real people too" is usually a good one for motors or C&T

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Worst argument ever:

f all the reasons why you might want to end your marriage, not liking Frozen wouldn’t generally rank that highly.

In the case of one Japanese woman, though, her differences of opinion with her husband over the Disney smash is turning out to be grounds for divorce.

According to the website Kikonsha no Hakaba – or as it’s known in English, The Gravesite Of Married People – the anonymous 29-year-old became obsessed with the film after going to see it on her own several times, before persuading her spouse to join her.

But despite hoping he would also love the film due to having studied Danish Literature at university – with Frozen being based on the Hans Christian Andersen tale The Snow Queen – she was shocked to discover his reaction was very different.

After telling her ‘I didn’t really care for it personally,’ he apparently left their six-year marriage in tatters by asking his wife: ‘Did you really think it was that good?’

She furiously responded: ‘If you can’t understand what makes this movie great, there’s something wrong with you as a human being!’ before telling him she wanted a divorce.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/04/theres-something-wrong-with-you-as-a-human-being-woman-seeks-divorce-from-husband-over-his-dislike-of-frozen-4749392/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My dad and one of my brothers argued about which crime series was better, Morse or Taggart. Not just a day, it went on for over a week and nearly came to blows. It got to the point where they didn't communicate with each other for about 3 months to avoid fighting.

Everyone knows Touch of Frost is better anyway so don't know what all the fuss was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A dog that bites someone now has 'a taste for blood' and will do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Any argument that involves someone saying 'you weren't supposed to see/know about that', yeah that's fine so, I won't be pissed off so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Aaah butt sargant I've oonnly had d onee. Hic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

A lot of people are actually missing the point of the Thread Title -in a way- in that they are listing assertions. So for example the poster who listed "psychics are real" is listing a ridiculous and unfounded assertion - not a ridiculous argument.

By far - and I mean FAR - the most ridiculous and most precipitated argument on the planet has got to be "Well you can not prove there is NOT a god can you?".

Because that is something actually presented _as an actual positive argument for_ the existence of a god by the vast majority of subscribers to the particular fantasy.

And one wonders if we installed a simple 101 course on "onus of proof" and "negating an unfalsifiable assertion" into schools around age 10 - would the world - - the religion forum on here - and after hours threads - not look like a totally different place.
    Why does the onus of proof have to be on the religious people though? I'm an Atheist-Agnostic (whatever, I can't be fully certain there isn't a god, just the odds are minute). In the Scientific method the only way to prove something exists is if you can't disprove. So, the onus of proof in this case would be to disprove God exists in the first place, which you cannot do.

Onus of proof is only used in court cases and law because usually it's one person's word against another, hence the scientific method doesn't really work here. Most debates are just about smashing into your opponents arguments and leaving nothing they left standing but have a few of your points left and hope the next person on the other side doesn't wreck your arguments.

So really, onus of proof has to come from both sides. And, unfortunately for us, while we can dispute a lot of claims made in most religious texts we can't disprove a God exists. Probably never will be able to either!

Advertisement