Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't let the door hit you on the way out John.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So, we need a new captain for next year.

Hard choice though - the really obvious candidates are all internationals and likely to be away for large parts of the season. I'm not sure about giving it to someone who's just arriving. Diack has done a good job when called upon but he's not a guaranteed starter.

FRU says we've signed a back row from Landsdowne on a development contract:

http://thefrontrowunion.com/2014/05/ulster-back-row-butterworth-on-development-contract/

Also, as mentioned before we are supposedly after a 7 and this one would answer former legend's question:

"One name we’ve heard, but haven’t confirmed, is Blues back row Brendon O’Connor who ran out in every game for the Baby Blacks in their all conquering 2014 JWC campaign and I hear that he is, allegedly, Irish Qualified!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Afoa should be pretty ashamed of himself coming out and complaining to the press like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »
    FRU says we've signed a back row from Landsdowne on a development contract:

http://thefrontrowunion.com/2014/05/ulster-back-row-butterworth-on-development-contract/

Also, as mentioned before we are supposedly after a 7 and this one would answer former legend's question:

"One name we’ve heard, but haven’t confirmed, is Blues back row Brendon O’Connor who ran out in every game for the Baby Blacks in their all conquering 2014 JWC campaign and I hear that he is, allegedly, Irish Qualified!"

Bit old to have played for the baby blacks in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    So, we need a new captain for next year.

Hard choice though - the really obvious candidates are all internationals and likely to be away for large parts of the season. I'm not sure about giving it to someone who's just arriving. Diack has done a good job when called upon but he's not a guaranteed starter.

I don't see any problem with the club captain being an international. Just having a group of leaders is just as important. Heaslip will be Leinster captain next season and I'd imagine Best will be Ulster's.

.ak wrote: »
    I don't see any problem with the club captain being an international. Just having a group of leaders is just as important. Heaslip will be Leinster captain next season and I'd imagine Best will be Ulster's.

I was thinking Henry, he is often a captain but while an international he won't necessarily be playing every game and will not be subject to the same rest periods as Best.

Diack and Best as vice captains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

I think with the likes of mccloskey ( IMO maybe a better risk than Marshall ) Nelson Allen and scholes etc coming through an the depth ulster have in the backs (good mix of youth and experience) I think we'll be fine on that mark.
    Where as in the pack we need some good experienced front rows to replace tc and money grabber I mean afoa...

student15 wrote: »
    I think with the likes of mccloskey ( IMO maybe a better risk than Marshall ) Nelson Allen and scholes etc coming through an the depth ulster have in the backs (good mix of youth and experience) I think we'll be fine on that mark.
    Where as in the pack we need some good experienced front rows to replace tc and money grabber I mean afoa...

It's a bit early to say McCloskey is better than Marshall. Luke has had a couple of quiet months but form is temporary, class is permanent and he will come back next season. McCloskey is a rougher diamond than Marshall but does look promising. It's probably irrelevant as Olding will overtake the pair of them very quickly next season if he plays 12.

Front row and back row (back up) are worries.

I see on UAFC a pretty reliable poster saying they had it confirmed from a source close to the side that Fez will be announcing his retirement in the next week. Not unexpected but I still refuse to believe until it's confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I agree on the point about Luke Marshall, he is the class player. I do worry about his concussion issues. The point about Olding is also well made, he will pass them out if the knee is fully back to normal.

So hope that Ferris can keep going, but a lot will depend on his feelings about the ankle, if it is not 100% after all the rehab that he has done over such a long period then there is no point in risking being a cripple for the rest of your life. He has played enough to know if it will get back to full strength. Really hope that he is able to recover and continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just on the Fez thing... It would be mad if it was a case that he was rushed back for the quarter final. I know it's a case of 'if', but still...

.ak wrote: »
    Just on the Fez thing... It would be mad if it was a case that he was rushed back for the quarter final. I know it's a case of 'if', but still...

I don't think he was rushed back. He played three weeks before that and even then was only on the bench for the QF. To be honest at some stage he was going to have come back anyway as he had been out for a long time. It's a shame, he could have been on the same pedastel as BOD and POC had he played out his career to its potential.

Seems the Hogg deal fell through yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

bilston wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out John.

Yeah I don't think I can defend him based on that article. Comes across as a self-serving ungracious twat. From all accounts Ulster gave him a lot of leeway, and in the end he just took the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a meme to be made!

Misses family in NZ

....Moves to Gloucester

bilston wrote: »
    Seems the Hogg deal fell through yesterday.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think I can defend him based on that article. Comes across as a self-serving ungracious twat. From all accounts Ulster gave him a lot of leeway, and in the end he just took the piss.

I for one was bashing JA when i saw the ulster article but when i read the one he was in you can not argue with what he was saying.

We have under achieved we have not moved forward like we should have we have not got the young guys coming through at prop level and we have to go and buy again. The plan was to invest and then let the investment help new young ulster talent.

As for him moving his wife didn't like Belfast which is fair enough not everyone one will, so maybe she will like England, maybe there will be more NZ people there we don't know.

I do agree though saying he is going home and then not is wrong but I did not see him come out and say that.

Some time you need people to call a spade a spade and just learn from it. He is gone and that's it but we have not left a legacy behind for him to be proud of not with silver ware or with young talent.

In my eyes the whole thing was a failure based on the results and I don't see anyone else coming through or being signed that will make it any better.

As for the contract who know what Hump said to him ulster didnt offer him one that doesn't not mean logan or humph didnt sit and talk to him about it and if he said no thanks then that's fine.

He was for going home - as far as I know he fully expected and was planning to be going back to New Zealand but an 11th hour mega-contract from Gloucester changed that.

He wanted to be with his family which he can now be doubt anyone would begrudge that even if it was for big bucks. Fair play prob only has a few years left might as well cash in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

There's a meme to be made!

Misses family in NZ

....Moves to Gloucester

Done....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Afoa's behaviour, and lack of respect toward the provinces makes me a lot less sympathetic towards his homesickness

Afoa's behaviour, and lack of respect toward the provinces makes me a lot less sympathetic towards his homesickness

What behaviour though? has he really done anything wrong? He was not homesick just sick about not seeing his wife and kids

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So suddenly the family decides to move after Afoa leaves Belfast?

The lack of a send off for Afoa from Ulster speaks for itself. Look at what Muller (rightly) received. Afoa's departure was more or less ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tac4271

Can't post a link but Louis Ludik's signed a two year deal.

We will take it. Seems versatile which is important. It will be interesting to see howbthe first choice back line lines up next season.

9, 10, 11 and 14 are fairly locked in but 12, 13 and 15 are anyone's guess at this stage.

I suppose thats the end of the Hogg stuff.

Really curious to see what the back line looks like next season.

Outside 10 you have Marshall Olding Cave Payne Ludik Gilroy Bowe and Trimble to fit in.

I would imagine that both Payne and Ludik will play 15 from time to time.

It gives us the ability to move things about a bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Won't lie. Every time I see a new post marked for this thread, I fear the worst...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

dregin wrote: »
    Won't lie. Every time I see a new post marked for this thread, I fear the worst...

Me too but I think we can relax. I've been reliably informed that Tommy Bowe will not be singing in public ever again.

>>>...unless of course you are referring to Fez's situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement