Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are your 2014 draft Binkies

Options
  • 30-04-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for last year but here is the 2012 version

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77635916

You select a draft Binkie, a player who will go in the 1st round and will be a star in the NFL

You also get 2 value Binkies who are underrated players who will deliver for their teams

Binkie - Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville
    Pro ready, tough, excellent at reading D's and making pre-snap adjustments. 2 great performances on the biggest stage in Bowl Games. Incredibly tough and intelligent. Being criticised for missing a couple of throws during his pro day :rolleyes: Any team that needs a QB and passes on him will regret it for the next decade

Value Binkie 1: Aaron Lynch - DE - South Florida
    From a physical standpoint you could not dream of a more perfect DE. 6ft5, 250 lbs, explosive off the ball, great speed rush and flashes power with his hands. Unfortunately that has not amounted to what it should have done this year. Was a possible 1st rounder to start the year but played poorly at times and did not show many pass rushing moves. If he lands on a team with a good D-line coach he will be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round

Value Binkie 2: CJ Fiedorowicz - TE- Iowa
    CJ is a do it all TE. 6ft6 and 265lbs, he is a hard worker, stays in to block well, has reliable hands and decent athleticism. Not in the mould of modern TE's ala Jimmy Graham. Will be drafted in about the 4th round and can become a reliable fan favourite for whomever drafts him.

My picks in the last 2 years have been a bit hit and miss

Trent Richardson was my Binkie. LaMichael James and Vontaze Burfict were my value picks.

Keenan Allen was my Binkie. Sam Montgomery and AJ Klein were my value picks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Binkie - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

teddy-bridgewater-p1.jpg

I've got to go with my man Teddy Bridgewater as my binkie. His football IQ in terms of reading blitzes, defenses and looking off safeties is better than many current NFL QB's. His short-medium throwing is excellent. He does need to improve on long distance throws though. Houston will likely pass on him for Clowney and may well be able to justify that in the future as he will be a quality player, but if QB needy teams like the Jaguars or Browns pass on him they are very silly IMO. Perfect landing spot for Bridgewater would be the Vikings at #8 for me, though he really shouldn't be dropping that far.

Value Binkie #1 -Terrance West, RB, Towson

9372079_orig.jpg

West is a Baltimore native who, on a side note, looks almost the exact same as Torrey Smith! He's a great story really. Came from a very rough area of Baltimore, did odd jobs here and there and tried and failed to walk on at a number of schools. He eventually got a chance with Towson and led them to the FCS National Championship game, smashing FCS records for rushing yards and TD's. He's very, very physical and is not only a good runner but he can catch the ball well too as he showed at the combine and his pro day. He's persistent, will keep at defenses even if they're frustrating him and he only needs them to give him one opening before pulling off a game changing play. My worry about him would be that he doesn't have real "get away from the cops speed" as Gus Johnson says and he hasn't come up against top defenses in the FCS. He's projected as a 3rd/4th rounder and I think he can have a big impact. I'd love my Ravens to pick him up. If anyone's interested, he's penning his thoughts in the Baltimore Sun of his visits with teams and general preperation for the draft.

Value Binkie #2 - Storm Johnson, RB, UCF

460x.jpg

Yup, another RB for me, but while a lot of people will be viewing UCF tape for Blake Bortles, it's hard not to get drawn towards this guy. He seems to consistently get 3 or 4 yard gains in situations where he should be getting dropped for a loss which is a valuable commodity, he runs well between tackles and he's an extremely adept receiver too. I'd doubt his potential to become a #1 RB, but he's the ideal player to have on your depth chart to mix things up a bit and contribute. He's projected as a 5th rounder and I believe he has met with and gained a lot of interest from the Patriots? It would be a great fit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Binkie - Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M

While Matthews ceiling may not be as high as Robinsons or Lewans, make no mistake about it he is the most pro ready player in the entire draft and able to play at both left and right tackle. Matthews will bring an excellent level of consistency to some teams o-line.
    Value Binkie 1: Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma
    Had it not been for a disastrous injury suffered during a Senior bowl practice Colvin could easily have been a late 1st round/2nd round pick. But after tearing his ACL his draft stock has plummeted. with doctors indicating the it will take in the region of 8 to 10 months to get back to full health Colvin probably wont see any playing time in his rookie season. But for whoever takes the risk on Colvin, they're getting a tough cornerback who should fit in well with today's need for physical players on the outside and in the secondary and could be the ultimate "draft day steal"

Value Binkie 2: Colt Lyerla - TE- Oregon

Theres no player in the draft with as many red flags as Lyerla, which included a suspension, his leaving the team, and an arrest on drug charges. despite this he is a very good football player and a physical marvel with excellent athleticism who can get up the field with impressive speed and provide excellent blocking. Teams will be scared to take him anywhere near the middle/top of the draft, but if he can get out of his own way, he could bring first round talent as a late round pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Colt Lyerla has the reddest of red flags. It's practically a giant, flashing warning beacon with a screaming siren. Whatever about drafting guys who've done a bit of weed, Lyerla is another story. Cocaine addiction, assault, fleeing from police, accusing parents of the Sandy Hook shooting of being liars and that it never happened (wtf), multiple speeding tickets, skipping practises, calling out your coaches in public, ditching court-ordered programs, switching agents.... I mean, add all that to the fact that the only good press this guy has is that he's fast, athletic (not strong) and played for Oregon. And yet he still didn't put up great numbers....

His Sandy Hook comments alone are enough to keep him away from the Patriots, but I can't see us taking him regardless. Kraft won't entertain that idea for a second.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds like a Detroit Lion to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Marquise Lee for me.
    Would love if the Browns took him at 26 or 36.

This year's Keenan Allen and better in the future. Might a have a bet on him as leading rookie receiver (depending on where he lands) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Love the way Bridgewater is now be written off. Best QB in the draft and its not really even close. He will light it up next year wherever he goes.

Stanley Jean Baptiste is a really good physical corner which could go in the second or third round and he is my pick for steal of the draft. Really like the receiver Jarvis Landry too, so he is my pick for offensive steal of the draft.
    Johnny Football will be the biggest bust in a long time. Zach Mettenberger is the second best qb in this draft for me.

Binkie:
    Sammy Watkins WR Clemson.
    I'd say he'll be talked about along with Calvin Johnson when we talk about WR's in a few years.

Value Binkie:
    Taylor Lewan OT Michigan.
    I think this guy will be a great starting left tackle. He's sliding now due to numerous off the field issues and some team is going to get great value at the end of round 1 or start of round 2.

#2:
    Zach Mettenberger QB LSU.
    Another guy with red flags, but he'll have great value at round 3, someone should take a jump on him in the second, his ACL and MCL tear shouldn't affect him much as he wasn't very athletic to begin with, he has a cannon of an arm and the height that teams love.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll do this properly in due course but I'm thinking Dee Ford for round 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Binkie:
    Sammy Watkins WR Clemson.
    I'd say he'll be talked about along with Calvin Johnson when we talk about WR's in a few years.

Value Binkie:
    Taylor Lewan OT Michigan.
    I think this guy will be a great starting left tackle. He's sliding now due to numerous off the field issues and some team is going to get great value at the end of round 1 or start of round 2.

#2:
    Zach Mettenberger QB LSU.
    Another guy with red flags, but he'll have great value at round 3, someone should take a jump on him in the second, his ACL and MCL tear shouldn't affect him much as he wasn't very athletic to begin with, he has a cannon of an arm and the height that teams love.

Lewan is now being talked about as a top 10 pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Binkie

Mike Evans WR

huge target

Value Binkie #1

Joel Bitonio OL

shooting up draft boards. versatile so can play many positions for a team

Value Binkie #2

Charles Sims RB

currently getting mocked in 4th round. dual threat out of backfield and good size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Binkie

Jordan Matthews WR

As a Bears fan, he just reminds me of Alshon Jeffrey.

Was torn whether to pick him or Watkins, Watkins excites me more than any other player in the draft but he could easily end up at a team with nobody throwing to him.

Value Binkie #1

Will Sutton DT

Taken a big knock because 2013 was a a down year, but 2012 was just sensational and having a down year off that was inevitable. 2013 was still good if you look closer - at hurries and hits and not just sacks.

Value Binkie #2

Trent Murphy DE

Hoping he ends up in a 4-3 base. Had a poor senior bowl and seems to want to slim down to try be a 3-4 OLB. Has lost out on the senior bowl/combine hype stuff but the tape shows he can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Binkie: Khalil Mack

Going to be a star. Hope Tampa Bay grab him if available. Acceleration, strength and burst are top class. Consistently brings his A game, and terrorises opposition backfields. Will come straight into a team and make them better.

Value #1 Jeff Janis
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jeff-janis?id=2543750

Flagged him at the time of the Combine. He put up decent numbers and was the fastest White WR in the Combine :P Put up decent numbers, but at a real small time school. Was a 6th-7th rounder at best leading into the combine. NFL.com now have him as a 3rd/4th rounder. I think he'll make an NFL roster and become an important player for the team that gets him as a #2 or #3 receiver.

Value #2 Brock Vereen
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brock-vereen?id=2543820

I picked him in the Mock Draft, and the more I read and see of this guy the more I like him. Really needs to work on his hands, but has good quickness, flexibility and athleticism. Good leader and comes from a good football family, so will know how to deal with locker-room situations. He's projected as a 3rd/4th rounder, and he will make some team very happy i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Binkie: Teddy Bridgewater

He has nearly everything you want in a QB. Great mental make-up and excels and the most difficult parts of being an NFL QB - playing from the pocket and being comfortable in it. I find it a mystery that he will drop.

Value Binkie #1: Kareem Martin

I made up my 3rd round pick in the mock draft. He's a great talent and ideal physical Defensive End. I think he has great potential at the next level and would be great value in the second round, I'd be tempted to take him first. I have him ahead of Ford and Ealy.

Value Binkie #2: Lache Seastrunk

Not many other running backs in this class, a position Raiders will have little interest in but I stumbled across this guy watching a Baylor game looking at someone else. This kid stood out, watched a few more and he seems like a real talent. He'll be looked down on because of his size( only 5'9 and 201 lbs) but I think he's got a great chance to make it. He's an incredible athlete, 11.2' broad jump and 41' vert in the combine. Reminds me of Ray Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Binkie:

Mike Evans - reminds me of Jordy Nelson for his catching ability and the fact he's deceptively quick. Strong after the catch, I think he'll be a big star wherever he goes in the first round.

Value Binkie #1:

Dri Archer - if the Saints or Pats are looking for a RB/WR hybrid to make catches out of the backfield, then Archer could be their man. Likely to be still around come round 4, Archer clocked a 4.26 time 40-yard dash. And if it doesn't work out for him as a starter in the Sproles kind of mould then he is an excellent kick returner so could prove valuable on special teams.

Value Binkie #2:

James C. White, RB, Wisconsin - the one thing that stood out for me with this guy is his ability to change direction in top gear. It was like watching former All Black Christian Cullen in rugby. He put up over 4000 yards at Wisconsin along with 45 TD's. Same University produced Montee Ball who looks like he'll be a bigger part of the Broncos offence this year. If he can get a little bigger whilst maintaining his pace then he could be a great pick for someone in rounds 4-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Binkie:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Watkins.jpg

Watkins will be an elite wide receiver in the NFL for the next ten years. I've been lucky enough to see him play in the flesh and I have no issue about his height at 6'1 as I believe he is big enough to excel in the NFL. He constantly extends playing gaining yards which should not be there. The guy also has elite speed and could well contribute in the return game if needed. He has all the requirements to be a number 1 receiver and will be the highest drafted receiver since AJ Green. I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of the Lions or even the Bengals traded up to select Watkins to line up across from Megatron and Green respectively, this would be a scary proposition. Another option would be the Raiders at 5 but as I have suggested I don't see him going that far.

Value Binkie #1:

Teddy Bridgewater QB, Louisville

I'm slightly cheating here calling Teddy a value binkie, but I feel if Mayock thinks he'll slide into the second round as the tied fifth best QB in the draft I can! Teddy is the best pro-ready QB in the draft and if I was A GM in a QB needy team it wouldn't take 15 minutes to make the pick.

Value Binkie #2:

Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona

The general consensus is that Carey will go late second round into the fourth round and I think anywhere in this bracket would be a steal. You will get a "find the gap" running back who is explosive from the snap, finds yards after contact and is a nightmare in space. The RB position has been so devalued even though the likes of Seattle and even Denver got to their position in no small part to their RB group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'm loving the Keenan Allen lovefest above lads btw!!....

My Binkie:

Sammy Watkins

Value Binkie #1:

Deone Bucannon

Value Binkie #2:

Stanley Jean Baptiste

Wanted to include some O/D linemen too like Trai Turner (LSU), Zack Kerr (Delaware) but those picks just ain't sexy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Binkie: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA

Was my one of my favourite prospects coming into the season and solidified that with another fine year. I'll always have more exposure to Pac 12 players and as such will probably be slightly biased, but Barr was a massive, massive pain in the arse to USC the last 2 years - and that includes ending Matt Barkley's college career prematurely with a devastating sack. Exploded onto the scene in 2012 as one of the most dominant defensive players in the country. Returned for his senior season and maintained his high stock with a collection of monster games. All this with only 2 years experience as a linebacker having been converted from full back. He's a star for me based on what he's already done, but the fact he has so much more potential to unlock solidifies him as a top 5 pick, in my eyes at least, though it may not pan out that way tonight.

Value Binkie 1: Morgan Breslin, DE, USC

Probably some USC bias at play here, but I'm sure Breslin would be talked about as a higher pick had he not missed half of last season with an injury. Before that, he had 18.5 sacks in 19 games after transferring from Junior College (where he had 28 sacks in 2 years) and was by far our best player on defence. He's really physical and great at shedding blocks. One of those guys that never takes a play off, and if you subscribe to the whole "chip on their shoulder" theory, then the fact he was probably the highest profile combine snub should work to that. Could see him ending up in San Francisco.

Value Binkie 2: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State

5 star high school recruit who had a solid freshman year at Georgia against SEC defences (850 yards, 5 TDs). Looked set to be a star until he went and got himself arrested and dismissed from the program. Dropped down to Alabama State so he wouldn't have to sit out a year, he had 850 yards and 15 TDs in his first year and 1,120 yards and 12 TDs in his second year which was evidence enough that talent wise, he deserved to be on a BCS contender. He could be the most talented runner in the draft, but the 2 big questions are his durability (oft-injured) and character concerns. Picking him as a value binkie hoping he gets his shít together ala Burfict, Jenkins, Mathieu etc. but could easily go the way of Cliff Harris, Donte Paige-Moss or Titus Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,798 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Binkie:

Derek Carr Fresno State

Derek+Carr+New+Mexico+v+Fresno+State+DQvGoQf_yIKl.jpg

You have a lot of people who look at Derek Carr and remember his brother David, a poor no.1 overall pick, and then just decide that because he didn't have a great NFL career that this guy won't. Well imo Derek is a far better prospect than David was and not only that but he will be more prepared for life in the NFL because of his brother and what happened to him. Carr has a massive arm on him and after watching some videos of him throwing into double coverage, and getting it there a lot, I think he has great accuracy. He showed at the senior bowl that he can check down and he also can scramble when required. He is also smart enough to hold onto the ball and take the sack if its not there and throwing it away is risky.
    I think Derek Carr is the best QB in this class and I think he should be a top five pick at worst.

Super got to have massive binkie

Weston Richburg Colorado State

4034151fe88d554efa098a32c5a04668.png

Richburg for me is a guaranteed longtime starter in the NFL. Its not often you'll see me picking a center as a binkie but this guy is just too solid to leave out. Richburg never missed a game his whole college career. While he spent his college career at a smaller school he showed he was up to it against the best at the Senior Bowl and for me this guy should be a first round pick because he is going to do it consistently at the NFL level imo. Shockingly he is being projected as a late second/early third rounder. A lock to make it and impress in the NFL.

Extra value binkie

Martavis Bryant Clemson

hi-res-188026058-teammates-demond-smith-and-d-j-white-of-the-georgia_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Just love this kid and how he improved in 2013. Making his move to the pros early and possibly being overshadowed by his college teammate Sammy Watkins. He is 6'4" tall and he is quick with good hands and will get better I think. He is a late bloomer who could get even better at the next level and I think whoever gets him is going to have a star in the making. Might just work out as the best WR from this class.

Great story if he makes it binkie

Brock Coyle

528e2c749a107.preview-620.jpg

Coyle is one of these small school guys who just went out and said 'I'm gonna make it no matter what anybody thinks. He played in the NFLPA collegiate bowl and garnered enough interest from scouts there for them all to turn up at his pro-day where he put on a show that has made him a very interesting prospect for many. This guy was a tackling machine at Montana and should make a good ILB and his pro-day stats mean teams can take a flyer on him because he has enough about him to be a good ST's player at the very least. I just like these stories of determination and he has to be on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Binkie:

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

aaron-donald.jpg

This guy has everything to be a great player at the next level and he's by the far the stand out DT of this class. He's quick, gets stuck in under pads and is highly disruptive. He's got a good football brain and has excellent awareness. I think he could be one of those guys that goes onto have an instant impact in the NFL.

Value binkie #1

Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice

An underrated corner who gained more stock as the process went on. He's a good player and should be a very good corner in the NFL. He's a hard worker with lots of potential and is lighting quick. I've seen him as high as the second and as low as the 5th round. He's great value in the second tbh. Might not have an instant impact but I think this guy can be a very good corner.

Advertisement