Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst public art in Ireland

Options
  • 02-05-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

What do people think is the worst public art in Ireland ?

For me it has to be this monstrosity which is found on the M7 Dublin to Cork road, just at the junction for Naas.
    http://http://www.kildare.ie/ArtsService/media/Media,21165,en.jpg

I really pity the people of Naas having to live near that thing. I think it would be even worse for those who commute by car to Dublin every day. After a long hard days work they get in the car and spend the best part of 40 minutes grinding gears and brakes, going bumper to bumper just to get to the Red Cow roundabout. Then there's gonna be a traffic jam because of Newlands Cross roadworks, you battle through that but it's still another 15 miles till you're home, more than an hour after you left. Then when it is finally time to peel off the motorway what welcomes you after an hour of commuter hell and rush hour traffic ? A big feckin ball with road markings all over it. Talk about trying to piss people off, what on earth were the 'artists' thinking of ?

Any better examples ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The ****ing Spire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

ArtyC wrote: »
    The ****ing Spire

I like the spire

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Any of those "make the urchins do a graffiti" schemes where the "marginalised" are "empowered to foster community spirit" and placate some middle class guilt. For 20 minutes until one of their mates tags a cock'n'balls motif over it, restoring the balance of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Most roadside art on the motorways is a bit :confused:

I do like the sculptures of the bull and the 'strongman' on either side of the Nenagh bypass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That maroon looking yoke in Dun Laoghaire, it's a heap of ****e, matter of fact a polished turd would look better there.

Say what you want about Queen Victoria, but the chick had style, that art opposite the way in tribute to her visit is much nicer.

Here it is, contemporary art, what a load of crap:ScreenShot196.bmp

That naked sculpture guy on the way to Centra in the UCD Campus is trying way too hard too.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 38 Troy Lumberjack

Dunno about the worst, but I love the herd of deer beside junction 30 on the M7 near Limerick. Verr good.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

There are 2 monstrosities on the motorway between Newmarket-on-Fergus and Ennis and I really hope that they didnt cost money.One near Ennis looks like an off cut from a coil of wire that fell off a lorry and was just left up on the bank just to get it of the road, the second one near Newmarket looks like someone was melting some metal and made a balls of it so just dumped it at the side of the road it has a tree growing up in the middle of it now ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The empty bottle of Buckfast that was installed on a windowsill of one of the flats opposite Galway Railway station 6 months ago is beginning to show signs of wear and tear already.

Needs polishing.

Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Dunno about the worst, but I love the herd of deer beside junction 30 on the M7 near Limerick. Verr good.

All thanks to fenton.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Those miserable looking famine statues on the quay in front of the Custom House. Awful looking yokes, but there always seems to be an endless steam of tourists taking their photos with them. Some of the junk on the side of the Dublin-Cork road is pretty awful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

NUI Galway haven't a notion.

305437.jpeg

Shane.C wrote: »

305437.jpeg
    someone playing blockbusters while on acid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this excellent piece of public art is probably gone by now. it was somewhere along the red luas line near the four courts

http://backontherock.com/2011/07/26/free-palestine/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What do people think is the worst public art in Ireland ?

For me it has to be this monstrosity which is found on the M7 Dublin to Cork road, just at the junction for Naas.
    http://http://www.kildare.ie/ArtsService/media/Media,21165,en.jpg

I really pity the people of Naas having to live near that thing. I think it would be even worse for those who commute by car to Dublin every day. After a long hard days work they get in the car and spend the best part of 40 minutes grinding gears and brakes, going bumper to bumper just to get to the Red Cow roundabout. Then there's gonna be a traffic jam because of Newlands Cross roadworks, you battle through that but it's still another 15 miles till you're home, more than an hour after you left. Then when it is finally time to peel off the motorway what welcomes you after an hour of commuter hell and rush hour traffic ? A big feckin ball with road markings all over it. Talk about trying to piss people off, what on earth were the 'artists' thinking of ?

Any better examples ?

With a considise and constructive argument like that, why are you not writing the artscolumn for the Sunday Independent? I mean - this is AH! You're ****ign wasted in here...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

305437.jpeg

At least its somewhat usefull. Generations of students have used the BYT as a meeting point as there is no mistaking it, unlike the random crap that is strewn across the countrys roads if it wasnt called ''ART'' it would be considered fly tipping

there is some stegosaurus rusted type thing on the road between Gorey and Arklow (I think). it freaks me out every time I go by

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

There's 2 bits of metal before the toal bridge on the main Galway Dublin motorway, near Enfeild.
    They annoy me every time I pass. Look like 2 pineapple rings ether side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The worst has to be that stupid arrangement of white spikes and colour things on an embankment of the M7 around Kildare I think. It starts off with one white spike the multiplies and ends with one white spike.

It looks like rubbish strewn on the embankment until you realise it has some sort of pattern. I wonder how much it cost.

I like the naas ball fwiw. The man and bull at nenagh is great. The arch on the roscrea bypass is cool but easily missed, possibly the worst placed road art from the ones I've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ah, where would we be without the BYT?

There's a thing on the wall just inside the door of the concourse on the left explaining what it's all about.

I read it once but I'm still none the wiser.

All I remember is that it's been there since the 1970s which did surprise me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

So people want fancy Art on the motorways so drivers will be distracted because of it and crash, good logic there lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Say what you want about Queen Victoria, but the chick had style, that art opposite the way in tribute to her visit is much nicer.

Here it is, contemporary art, what a load of crap:ScreenShot196.bmp

The Shinners actually took exception to the restoration of that dainty gazebo opposite, describing it as 'inappropriate, unnecessary and offensive'.

They even held a picket ffs.

http://republican-news.org/archive/2003/May15/15dunl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The Shinners actually took exception to the restoration of that dainty gazebo opposite, describing it as 'inappropriate, unnecessary and offensive'.

They even held a picket ffs.

http://republican-news.org/archive/2003/May15/15dunl.html

They might as well protest against all the Victorian buildings while they're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

305437.jpeg

I like that. I pretty much walk by it everyday and I'm still not bothered by it.

People think art has to be something identifiable for it to be "good", which completely misses the point of art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Chorcai wrote: »
    So people want fancy Art on the motorways so drivers will be distracted because of it and crash, good logic there lads.

Having shiit art is equally if not more distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The shyte thats set in hills after the toll on the M4 heading for Galway.

Just random circles, pointless dirt all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Here's a piece of motorway art in the uk. It's not for everyone but at least you can say it makes an impact
    http://clicks.robertgenn.com/sins.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I used to work in an office in Park West where I had a fine view of Sisyphus.

What kind of bastard makes office workers look at something like that all day.

http://www.orladebri.ie/works/public-works/medium/orla-de-bri-the-bastard-son-of-sisyphus-public-works-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There's a nice monument on the N3/M3 just after the border between Meath and Dublin. Shows a man opening a gate and beckoning to the cars travelling in the Meath direction toward him.

I like to think of it as Meath's Statue of Liberty, welcoming the tired, huddled masses coming from Dublin, yearning to breathe free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The disgusting multicolour statue of an accordion at Ballindine, Co Mayo.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Ballindineaccordion.JPG

Advertisement