Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

lufties wrote: »
    lucky I didn't book a trip there so.
    Because of one persons view?
    Anyone i spoke to speaks highly of Prague.
    I was only there for one day so looking forward to returning during the summer.
    Interestingly i am also going to budapest although I've been there before also! Didn't notice the miserable people mentioned above!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dan1895 wrote: »
    The falls are amazing but other than that Niagra in Canada. The only way of the describing it is as the illegitimate love child of Las Vegas and Bray.

It's a pity too, you see pics of the falls themselves and think its this natural beauty, which it is, but then right beside it is this godawful cheap carnie looking town with run down amusements and just has tacky plastered all over it.

LA is a dump, sprawled out, filthy, homeless everywhere, the famous streets are grand but once you step off any of them its junkie central.

Paris is the same, most romantic city in the world my ass the Eiffel Tower is overrun with pickpockets and the city is filthy, Parisians are the biggest assholes in the world as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Who doesn't?

Well a boards.ie poster for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Brussels

The biggest dive I've ever seen. Felt like I was in North Africa most of the time, nearly mugged on the underground, impossible to find a supermarket and all the train stations were full of drunks/junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Both Liverpool and Manchester.

I saw Liverpool on the tv, and that was enough.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Varanasi??? What a stunning city. It's in India so what did you expect? A metro?? Jesus wept.

Read my F@#king post, I said it is interesting. Getting around is a nightmare in a taxi. on footor a bloody rickshaw, 2 nights was more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Saw a tank casually rolling down the main street, with a heavily armed man sticking out the top of it.

Next day at a checkpoint I saw two men choking someone with an AK-47.

The city was hit by a volcanic eruption some years ago so the whole place is grey and black, stony and dusty.

Do not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

hfallada wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has posted my favourite phrase on boards yet. Which is "thinly veiled I have been abroad". Like its not in the slightest bit funny.

But I wouldn't go back to anywhere in china. Particularly the smaller cities where you kept on seeing the same people for a day. Because the police follow you(plain clothed). Even in McDonald's there is plain clothed officers to stop you getting robbed

Looking through this thread just now, people on a wind up, right? You wouldn't go back to anywhere in China because you keep on seeing the same people for a day? I'm undecided as to whether that's hilarious or pathetic.

I didn't like Brussels at all. It's the only place I've ever been that I would have no desire to ever return to.

Although I went there last year on my way to somewhere else and met two very nice homeless drunks in the train station and had great chats with them :D

Because of one persons view?
    Anyone i spoke to speaks highly of Prague.
    I was only there for one day so looking forward to returning during the summer.
    Interestingly i am also going to budapest although I've been there before also! Didn't notice the miserable people mentioned above!

Well maybe hungarians don't like the look of me. I met an Irish lad randomly last night and he also said they're miserable, rude, uneducated bunch of cnuts, it was nice to hear someone elses perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Read my F@#king post, I said it is interesting. Getting around is a nightmare in a taxi. on footor a bloody rickshaw, 2 nights was more than enough.

Read my reply - I took issue with your response to getting around. As I said, it's India, it isn't an easy place to travel. But using that as a basis never to go back there given its absolute beauty is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

cymbaline wrote: »
    Barcelona - I can't quite put my finger on why I disliked the place but I did.

You were probably pickpocketed and you don't even know it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

[Kilkenny] what an overrated city that is.

Being from Kilkenny, my first reaction to this was enraged indignation! But then I thought for a second and really, you're right.

The castle is pretty impressive though!

mod

Post nice, or don't post at all.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Being from Kilkenny, my first reaction to this was enraged indignation! But then I thought for a second and really, you're right.

The castle is pretty impressive though!

Don't even bother with the local women if you don't play hurling :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I saw Liverpool on the tv, and that was enough.

Liverpool's not too bad. Has bad areas like Toxteth but the areas around Albert Dock and city centre are nice. Lots of money has been pumped in lately. The people are also very friendly and easy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Glasgow. An air of madness just under the surface. Never felt safe there. Drove through it on the way to the Highlands and took a detour through Edinburgh on the way back! Have to agree that Paris is a close second: vastly overrated city.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Rangoon ,Myanmar .Interesting to see once ,but its a bit of an over crowded dirty kip .
    Hong Kong ,is the same but clean .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Only 75 posts in and I'm curled up in a corner afraid to go to my local spar for a litre of milk in case I get pickpocketed , raped , choked or die of fumes and the shop assistant and other customers will be really rude assholes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Derry...was there on a wet day which didn't help I guess but seems very poor and rundown. Cash converter type shops seemed to be everywhere. Could hardly figure out where the main st is supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Paris. Smelly, dirty and the people are so rude. You're tormented by people for money at all the tourist attractions, you also need to be aware of these "tricks" they do so they can pickpocket you. The only thing I liked was Pere Lachaise and going home. I was not overly impressed with Warsaw either. Another dirty kip. I was there for a concert and a friend I was with speaks Polish and they were openly talking about us calling us dirty foreigners and that we need to go home, this was THEIR concert. I paid my money, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

Another vote for Glasgow. Never really understood what attracted tourists to Dublin until I came back from a weekend in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Brisbane - ugly and soulless. Could not get out of it fast enough!
    The bridge is an eyesore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Belize City... Only place I feared for my safety.
    Belmopan is worse, but curiously the Yimm Saan hotel & restuarant is probably the best Chinese restaurant in the world IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baseline Analysis

sydney!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Johannesburg - wouldn't go back to anywhere that 90% of the city is a no go area.

Hong Kong - very little to actually do here as a tourist.

Nairobi - nobody else has said this yet and I wanted everyone to know I've been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Dubai, completely soleless and nothing but ostentatious wealth to look at and religious fundamentalsm bubbling under the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

I would have to say Minsk. Stay away. No, really!
    Cannot get around the city by car, the signs seem to take you anywhere, but where they are supposed to. Local teenagers idea of fun is to hang outside places and look to pick a fight with you as you try to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Johannesburg - wouldn't go back to anywhere that 90% of the city is a no go area.

Hong Kong - very little to actually do here.

Nairobi - nobody else has said this yet and I wanted everyone to know I've been here.

Agree with Nairobi. Constant intimidation and harassment and can't walk down the street once the sun goes down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Bristol
    Nottingham
    New York
    Boston
    Florida

Advertisement