Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TH Doolans up for sale for €330K, owners decided to retire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

PUBLIC AUCTION ON THURSDAY 6th MARCH 2014 AT 12 NOON AT SHERRY FITZGERALD JOHN ROHAN, MANOR HOUSE, CORK ROAD, WATERFORD
    http://www.sherryfitz.ie/commercial/Restaurant-Licensed-Premises-For-Auction-Waterford-City-T-H-Doolans-31-32-Georges-Street-Waterford-propertydetail.aspx?id=332304&ST=5&pc=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Any rumours on who is interested in buying this place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

mozattack wrote: »

What colour rumour Do you want, they're all over the place including it sold yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I didn't hear any rumours about who is buying it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Granville Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Prince Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fizzy84

I always thought a carvery would do well there; there's no where in town apart from the Granville (and Dooley's on a Sunday) doing it. The town is full of cafes and sandwich bars! But apparently it wasnt considered, despite the suggestions

I'll never understand people's interest in Carverys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'll never understand people's interest in Carverys.

Smorgasbored sic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Paddy Brownes up for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Have I heard right?
    Sold to a publican from south east region for €520K

Confirmed:
    T & H Doolan's has just been sold at auction for €520,000. The auction got underway at 12 noon today at
    Sherry Fitzgerald John Rohan's offices on the Cork Road.
    Source: Waterford News & Star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

beazee wrote: »
    Have I heard right?

Why would a property on the market for €330,000 be sold for more then was being asked?

Because there was an auction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Thats great news. It went €200K over asking price so there must have been serious interest in it. Hopefully the new owner has the vision and drive to get some life back into that area and maybe McLoughlins will get a new lease of life too.

(NB: If the new owner is reading: please do something about the toilets. A few air fresheners even.)

Because there was an auction

Realised the second I clicked post that there must have been an auction.

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thursday, 06 March 2014 13:57
    Waterford's oldest pub has been sold at auction.T and H Doolin's which is over 3 hundred years old and well known for its trad sessions sold for €520,000 earlier today. Auctioneer John Rohan said the bidding opened at €300,000, after being put on the market for €330,000. He described the bidding as brisk, and said the establishment was bought by publicans in the South East.

Notice this says bought by Publican(s), a typo maybe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

That is allot of money to me but I guess the history all but guarantees the tourist trade. I wonder are they planning to do a job on it? I reckon given it's location if they did a really big push on food They could do quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is Carlow the south east? Suppose it is! Anyways, not surprising it went for a good bit above the original asking, there was plenty of interest in it.

Hopefully the new guy does a bit of work there, fixes up the place a bit and gets a good food trade going again. It has the potential to be a goldmine

Not sure how anyone could say that any pub could be a goldmine in this town tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Not sure how anyone could say that any pub could be a goldmine in this town tbh.

The air of negativity that radiates from you is unreal.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Strikes me as having great potential in the long term as part of the tourism which will be boosted by ventures such as the viking trangle etc.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Is Carlow the south east? Suppose it is! Anyways, not surprising it went for a good bit above the original asking, there was plenty of interest in it.

Hopefully the new guy does a bit of work there, fixes up the place a bit and gets a good food trade going again. It has the potential to be a goldmine

This is the problem with this county/country...people who tell it like it is, are struck down as being negative people.

I'm a positive person, but I'm also a realistic person. T&H Doolan is a pub that's situated in a part of town that falls into a deep sleep after 6pm. Waterford is full of people who complain when a pub closes but buys all their drink from Tesco.

I'll tell you why I don't think it's a "goldmine"

1. It hasn't done a consistent trade in years.
    2. It's falling apart. The roof needs major work as does the plumbing. Whenever there's bad rainfall the pub smells like a concentration camp for a week.
    3. The toilets need to be redone as they are like something from the 1920s.
    4. The pub has been serving alcohol illegally for years. There is no license for the new part of the building, hence they shouldn't have been serving alcohol anywhere on the premises. So, the new owner must now go through the process of trying to get a new licence. And I'm sure there are other issues that I'm not aware of about the place.
    5. And this is the big one - in order to make money from a pub in this day and age you need to be busy 7 days a week and that's with food and drink. Especially when you've paid 520k for a pub, excluding rates of 24k due from last year and whatever is due this year. And then you can add your solicitor fees, stamp duty etc on top of that. T&Hs never did a good food trade, and the beer trade was just as bad. How are a family from Carlow going to turn that around?

I'm not negative. I'm realistic. It just so happens that a bit of realism seems to annoy clueless people like Bringthethunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Too late to get into a long winded one right now, put simply, we disagree. Though you seem to be starting from a point of someone claiming it is a goldmine, which isnt something I did anyway, so maybe your argument is with someone else, you just responded directly after mine anyway

I believe with the right investment and marketing the pub has the POTENTIAL (pretty important word from my post) to be a goldmine

You disagree with that? Thats ok with me, I have my reasons to hold my opinion, you obviously have yours.

Hey, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I disagree, but isn't that what opinions are about? What I resented was the suggestion that I'm a constantly negative person.

It's getting to the point where you're better off keeping your mouth shut if your opinion is not all rainbows and carebears. The fact remains, T&Hs hasn't been profitable in a very long time and it would be hard to change that in a city that is so quiet after 5:30pm.

I'd be interested to hear the reasons why you think it could be a gold mine though.

Hey, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I disagree, but isn't that what opinions are about? What I resented was the suggestion that I'm a constantly negative person.

It's getting to the point where you're better off keeping your mouth shut if your opinion is not all rainbows and carebears. The fact remains, T&Hs hasn't been profitable in a very long time and it would be hard to change that in a city that is so quiet after 5:30pm.

I'd be interested to hear the reasons why you think it could be a gold mine though.

In fairness, part of the reason why t and h's was quiet (and subsequently that part of the city) was because of the way it was being run.

O Riain wrote: »
    In fairness, part of the reason why t and h's was quiet (and subsequently that part of the city) was because of the way it was being run.

Could you elaborate on that?

Could you elaborate on that?

Well first of all it is an absolutely class pub, probably the coolest in town. But they seemed to be too focussed on getting a fee tourists in using bog standard folk music. With a bit of decent food, a nice craft selection and just some love in general I know t and h's could be really popular.

Everyone on here has been saying it. Was Kind of neglected but has massive potential.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying but isn't that what the tourists want? Traditional Irish music?

I mean you're not going to get locals in there midweek so they have to rely on the Americans etc.

I actually think it's so far out of the way that it's going to take something significant to bring locals down there. If you were to give me a choice between the park inn and T&H's, I'd take the park in every time.

Advertisement