Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback - Charter Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Here's a suggestion, limit the ammount of chars in a post.
    Yes it's pretty big but given it's feedback and feedback should be succinct,
    is it possible to half the post length for this forum?

It will stop the wall o' text replies which can kill threads making them tl'dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I can understand why this has been introduced, simply from a time management POV.

However I do think it's a bad idea and one which is just going to re-inforce the status quo. Anyone who has been around here for any length of time will recognise that in 99% of permaban cases the user is wrong and teh rules are right. But what about that 1% of teh time when Mods use charters and rules to enforce an "editorial policy" on a forum? Charters are written that reinforce the line they want the discussion to follow and anyone posting from a contrary viewpoint is in breech of teh charter and ultimately banned. And that ban will be upheald through the DRP and by Admins because - well because they breached the Charter (catch 22)

For example lets suppose that there was a Banking form where the mods were all working in the banking industry and the Charter specifically stated that the forum was for bankers and those involved in the industry to discuss common interests. But then some posters went in and started negative discussions about Anglo or bailouts. The Mods are within their rights to close the conversation down and ban the users for breaching the charter. The DRP has no solution. And now the users cannot open a discussion in feedback to ask if the conversations they want to have are suitable for that forum, they cannot use feedback to provide feedback that the forum may not be serving it's purpose.

As I said 99% of the bans are valid and the posters in feedback are just exercising grudges. But there are times when a series of posters will fall foul of rules that could legitimately be questioned and if we remove the option of discussing those rules here - openly and as equals - then where do they get discussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ISAW wrote: »
    ... Clearly non bis in idem....

It's that sort of perseverative argument, completely ignoring the fact that you have been told that it does not necessarily apply here, that leads me to support the idea of changing the feedback forum charter.

Why should a handful of tenacious individuals with axes to grind spoil the boards experience for everybody else, and place a huge burden in the mods, cmods, and admins, all of whom are volunteers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Why should a handful of tenacious individuals with axes to grind spoil the boards experience for everybody else ..

Who decides that a user has an axe to grind though? The moderators of that forum? Admin? Both?

From experience, just because that accusation is levelled at a user, does not make it so, no matter often or how loud it is repeated. I was labelled as having an axe to grind with the forum I was permabanned from BEFORE I was permabanned and that was the FIRST time I ever gave feedback on it also. Not only that, but the criticisms that I made about the forum where made seven weeks before that by one of it's moderators.

Of course you will get users that have been permabanned for constantly breaking a charter of a forum or regularly abusing other members on it but those users can easily be moderated. If they are posting in a way that is not considered to be feedback that is relevant to the topic, then moderate them, ban the from the thread and/or the FB if they make a habit of it.

amadeus is spot on:
    But there are times when a series of posters will fall foul of rules that could legitimately be questioned and if we remove the option of discussing those rules here - openly and as equals - then where do they get discussed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ISAW wrote: »
    So why did you change the charter to prevent them giving feedback?

Thats not the case.
    Users currently serving a ban from a forum with a duration over 1 month are not allowed to post on feedback threads concerning that forum
    Of course you will get users that have been permabanned for constantly breaking a charter of a forum or regularly abusing other members on it but those users can easily be moderated. If they are posting in a way that is not considered to be feedback that is relevant to the topic, then moderate them, ban the from the thread and/or the FB if they make a habit of it.

You've yet to explain to me the point of a banned user posting about a forum they cannot post in.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    You've yet to explain to me the point of a banned user posting about a forum they cannot post in.

I did, I suggest you go back and read what I wrote after I quoted you making that very point. I would do so again here but I see some seem to have an issue with users posting too many characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Who decides that a user has an axe to grind though? The moderators of that forum? Admin? Both?

I would not leave it to a single moderator, or even a pair of moderators in the same forum, to make a final judgement.

When a person has exhausted the procedures (mod-level; c-mod level; admin level) and not won the argument, then I would support the idea of the person being outside the pale so far as a particular forum is concerned, and be restrained from participating in general discussion in Feedback about that forum.

Where a person is banned by a mod and does not take the case further, then it can be inferred that he or she has accepted the mod's judgement and can be considered to be on the same level as somebody who has invoked all the procedures. Otherwise we might have people arguing that because a ban was not upheld by an admin, they should have a right to hurl on the ditch in Feedback.

I would not leave it to a single moderator, or even a pair of moderators in the same forum, to make a final judgement.

But quite often that is what happens here. Not just with myself, but with many other users also and yes, sometimes it is justified, but there are times when it simply is not. As I said, the first thread I ever gave feedback on regarding the forum I was later to be banned from, I was accused of having an axe to grind, as was every other user on that thread who held the same opinion in fact and that is wrong. It's a tactic by some and a tactic that is quite effective, as when there are many mods from one forum saying the same thing (and no doubt also reporting posts and repeating those same accusations there also) it's bound to be given some credence. It's classic muddying of the water, for muddying sake and as we all know, mud sticks.

How about in the charter mods are no longer allowed to accuse a user of having an axe to grind, or a grudge to bear against a mod or a forum for that matter and should they feel that that is the case, report the user instead of having a pop at them and derailing the thread. I'd like to see a total clamp down on these type of posts, from both mods and non-mods alike. FB can be like a bloody circus at times with the amount of people that like playing the man/woman instead of the ball. I know I'm sticking a target on my back saying this stuff but it's the truth. Thanks whoring posts having a pop at a user with a grievance are the single biggest cause of threads getting derailed here.
    When a person has exhausted the procedures (mod-level; c-mod level; admin level) and not won the argument, then I would support the idea of the person being outside the pale so far as a particular forum is concerned, and be restrained from participating in general discussion in Feedback about that forum.

I would agree.

However, not all banned users have the option of the DRP (which I'm sure everyone is sick of me saying at this point) and even if those that have that option, there is undoubtedly some users that are genuine and have the character to still take part in FB threads without rehashing the ins and outs of a some ban that they have disputed in the DRP which didn't go their way. With this new rule, those users are the ones that getting chucked out with the bath water.
    Where a person is banned by a mod and does not take the case further, then it can be inferred that he or she has accepted the mod's judgement and can be considered to be on the same level as somebody who has invoked all the procedures. Otherwise we might have people arguing that because a ban was not upheld by an admin, they should have a right to hurl on the ditch in Feedback.

There is a difference between someone getting digs at mods and/or a forum and a user making genuine and relevant points. The former is easily moderated. For instance, you and I might have some ding dong in AH and you get banned as a result of missing a mod's post telling you to leave it out, so you start a DRP thread, which you lose. Then, while the ban is in effect, there is a FB thread regarding AH and how it deals with users that are taking over threads with point scoring ding dongs. Now you might wish to give some FB on this and say that you think mods should use the post header and/or write Mod Note in bold in moderating posts, as it would make sure users didn't miss them and unbeknownst, ignore an on-thread warning.

Some users will see you as having a dig of course, but I think it's relevant FB. If you was to go the thread and say: "Well, maybe if mods made their moderation posts clear then I wouldn't have been banned but oh no, it's my fault I suppose :rolleyes:" -- well then that would someone grinding their axe and without question needing moderation. Thread ban such users, forum ban them if they persist, but there's just no need for this amendment. It's been pushed through because a selection of moderators moaning and bleating to admin whenever a thread is started in FB regarding a forum that they moderate and/or where a user that they may have muzzled by banning, is now in FB criticizing either the forum's stance on an element of it's charter, or one of a whole host of other complaints that can get thrown their way.

Let's be honest, the vast majority of both positive and negative feedback comes for one's experience of a forum. If a user says that they think mods of Forum X do an amazing job and are very fair with the regulars and non-regulars alike, that will come from them experiencing that while in the forum and so naturally, if a user is saying the opposite, then that too is bound to come from personal experiences of a forum also. That's not a user having an axe to grind, that's their opinion and an informed one at that.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I did, I suggest you go back and read what I wrote after I quoted you making that very point..

I see it now.
    Users that have been permabanned from forums, don't always dispute their bans, many fully accept that they were deserved, that's just one point.
    Another being that users that have been permabanned might just have something worthwhile and valuable to say.

As they've still been chucked out, it implies that they and the fora can't play well together. Thus its hard to see what positive input such a person could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

As they've still been chucked out, it implies that they and the fora can't play well together. Thus its hard to see what positive input such a person could have.

But you are ignoring the point that maybe the charter is flawed and users banned through a flawed charter have no recourse through the DRP and now have just had Feedback closed to them.

• Advertisement

But you are ignoring the point that maybe the charter is flawed and users banned through a flawed charter have no recourse through the DRP and now have just had Feedback closed to them.

I don't believe it is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thus its hard to see what positive input such a person could have.

Must all feedback be positive, why can we not have negative feedback?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Must all feedback be positive, why can we not have negative feedback?

....from people who haven't managed to get themselves banned or permabanned, or permabanned twice, yes, sure why not.

....from people who haven't managed to get themselves banned or permabanned, or permabanned twice, yes, sure why not.

Quite a few users get themselves banned , sometimes for quite trivial offences , it shouldn't mean they have nothing worthwhile to contribute or that their opinions are any less valued than anyone else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Quite a few users get themselves banned , sometimes for quite trivial offences , it shouldn't mean they have nothing worthwhile to contribute or that their opinions are any less valued than anyone else.

with teh DRP no user should receive a ban of over 1 month for something trivial. if it is trivial then an appeal will sort it out. If it goes through the DRP and the ban is upheld then the mod, cmod and admins all agree that it is not, in fact, trivial regardless of what the user themselves thinks and that would have been explained to the user as part of the DRP.

If the user does not go through the DRP then they are accepting the ban, there may be another reason for not going through the DRP but we cant make a ruling for every single possibility that a user might come up with.

This charter amendment is currently being discussed by the admins and there is genuine feeling that there has to be a better way but for what its worth for now, imho, no, the opinion of a user that cannot obey the same rules hundreds of other users obeys and gets themselves a ban period of 1 month + is not as valid as that of a user that uses the forum in the manner for which it was intended. Mods/cmods and admins should not have to spend time respondign to their queries if that meas time is being diverted from users that dont do anything wrong or have heeded mod warnings in the past.

LoLth wrote: »
    with teh DRP no user should receive a ban of over 1 month for something trivial. if it is trivial then an appeal will sort it out. If it goes through the DRP and the ban is upheld then the mod, cmod and admins all agree that it is not, in fact, trivial regardless of what the user themselves thinks and that would have been explained to the user as part of the DRP.

It's evident from recent threads here that that is not the case as not all bans can be appealed. We have also had evidence of trivial bans pop up recently,

If the user does not go through the DRP then they are accepting the ban, there may be another reason for not going through the DRP but we cant make a ruling for every single possibility that a user might come up with.

I don't agree with you about them accepting the ban but understand that there is noting you can do in that situation.

This charter amendment is currently being discussed by the admins and there is genuine feeling that there has to be a better way but for what its worth for now, imho, no, the opinion of a user that cannot obey the same rules hundreds of other users obeys and gets themselves a ban period of 1 month + is not as valid as that of a user that uses the forum in the manner for which it was intended. Mods/cmods and admins should not have to spend time respondign to their queries if that meas time is being diverted from users that dont do anything wrong or have heeded mod warnings in the past.

I'll be frank about the charter amendment, It's a joke which won't have the desired effect. Whoever came up with the idea didn't think it through very well.

everyones opinion is supposed to be equal here according to your own charter , yet there is a lot of emphasis put on rubbishing certains users opinions by certain admins and users here on feedback citing bans elsewhere as reason for that, it portrays management in a bad light, impartiality should be a lot more evident here than it has been of late.

My perm ban thread forum thread is an example of this. You locked it saying the op (me) was left behind in teh discussion. That was a cop out as other users were continuing the discussion in a perfectly civil manner, I was well up to date on the discussion . Since when must the op continue to post in threads to their natural conclusion?

I could cite other examples but i think i,ve made my point, a little less of the censorship in feedback would be beneficial imo.

It's evident (..........)beneficial imo.

Anyone who gets a permaban from a forum is never going to post in that forum again. If they can't post normally in a forum, they're not suitable to give feedback on it. If you've received two, well.......
    My perm ban thread forum thread ..........

Underlining the point that it ends as an endless rehash of 'Why I Was Unfairly Banned' once more. Well done.

Anyone who gets a permaban from a forum is never going to post in that forum again. If they can't post normally in a forum, they're not suitable to give feedback on it. If you've received two, well.......

That's a very black and white picture you paint. I suggest if user has thousands of post's in a forum over a considerable number of years they are suitable to give feedback on it irrespective of anything else.

That's a very black and white picture you paint. I suggest if user has thousands of post's in a forum over a considerable number of years they are suitable to give feedback on it irrespective of anything else.

I had no idea quantity equated to quality. You must inform the scientific community of this breakthrough.

can we limit discussion to the charter please and avoid user v user arguments.

As I said, the charter change is still under discussion at admin level and could very well be reversed. For now though, your feedback, even negative, is appreciated and will be taken into account.

• Advertisement

update to the charter:

lolcats are creeping back into the feedback forum. As are other internet memes. If you have a point, make it just like another poster took the time and effort to do, don't make a mockery of them by re-hashing some amusing picture or out-of-context-aren't-I-cool-and-hip phrase.

update is:
    added 26/01/2014:
    Internet memes
    No answering a feedback post with internet memes including, but not limited to, pictures of cats with quotes, cartoon Mexicans, photoshopped images , images from the internet meme generator or any other internet meme/phrase such as "your momma" "cool story bro" etc. If you wish to respond to feedback or to expand on details provided by another user then fine, do so but no more thanks whoring or post count padding. Memes with be responded to with an infraction (yellow card) on first offense, red on second, short ban on third with increasing ban lengths following.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

update to the charter:

lolcats are creeping back into the feedback forum. As are other internet memes. If you have a point, make it just like another poster took the time and effort to do, don't make a mockery of them by re-hashing some amusing picture or out-of-context-aren't-I-cool-and-hip phrase.

update is:

Do Boards:The Gathering cards count as memes? It's not like they're popular or well known...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, asking for a "thumbs down button" is practically a Feedback meme itself at this stage. We all know it's never going to happen. Could that a mention in the charter too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

In fairness, asking for a "thumbs down button" is practically a Feedback meme itself at this stage. We all know it's never going to happen. Could that a mention in the charter too?

Nobody reads the charter so whether its in there or not the threads will still appear. Takes nothing to ignore the one or two threads on it a year or a couple seconds to write a short polite response explaining its been asked plenty and not gonna happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

lolcats are creeping back into the feedback forum. As are other internet memes.

If memory serves, lolcats were the only meme ever expressly frowned upon in this forum so it's inaccurate to say 'other internet memes' are 'creeping back' when they were never disallowed in the first place. :)

Steve wrote: »
    If memory serves, lolcats were the only meme ever expressly frowned upon in this forum so it's inaccurate to say 'other internet memes' are 'creeping back' when they were never disallowed in the first place. :)

[pedant]
    while you are technically correct Steve, you are incorrect in that I never said "other banned memes" were creeping back, I said lolcats and "other memes". Whether they were disallowed or not is beside the point. For a long time feedback was a pit of users making a mockery of others that asked a question by posting one meme or another. Yes lolcats were expressly disallowed but there used to be lot more used. This stopped and feedback became useful. Now this is starting again and feedback is starting to acquire more noise than signal. Therefore lolcats are creeping back, as are other memes is an adequately accurate expression to use to describe the current situation.
    [/pedant]

;)

Nobody reads the charter so whether its in there or not the threads will still appear. Takes nothing to ignore the one or two threads on it a year or a couple seconds to write a short polite response explaining its been asked plenty and not gonna happen.

just because nobody reads it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. If you breach a forum charter rules that is there, then its your own fault for not reading it rather than an unfair system for punishing you for something you did not know you couldn't do :)

as for adding "thumbs down" suggestion as a no-no to the charter ? Nope. as you pointed out, it takes nothing for users to ignore the question or type a short, polite response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Fair and accepted explanation there Lolth.

Please don't completely drive the fun out of boards though - there has to be a reason for us long-timers to stay here. :)

I'm not advocating taking the pi$$ out of any user, the only post I saw in that thread was a pic with a subtitle "no" to the use of thumbs down feature (If it got worse and subsequently caused this amendment then my apologies).
    It was not derogatory, it was funny and to those of us who have lived through the previous threads on it it was a reminder that we are a community that know there is more to life than rules, regulations and serious business.

Anyways, what's done is done, just giving my feedback on it. :)

Steve wrote: »
    Fair and accepted explanation there Lolth.

Please don't completely drive the fun out of boards though - there has to be a reason for us long-timers to stay here. :)

I'm not advocating taking the pi$$ out of any user, the only post I saw in that thread was a pic with a subtitle "no" to the use of thumbs down feature (If it got worse and subsequently caused this amendment then my apologies).
    It was not derogatory, it was funny and to those of us who have lived through the previous threads on it it was a reminder that we are a community that know there is more to life than rules, regulations and serious business.

Anyways, what's done is done, just giving my feedback on it. :)

put yourself in the place of a user , fairly recent to boards that thinks, "thumbs up? wonder if a way to say "I don't like this" is possible...other forums have it, I'll post it".

then the only response from a long time member of the website is a large picture with the word "NO!" with no other text or explanation.

it does not set a good tone. It makes the user feel as if they have been chastised for asking a question or making a suggestion. It reinforces the illusion of a two tier system for users (old time vs new) when an in-joke is used as a response.

Mobile users have to waste their time and bandwidth downloading a picture instead of a post.

that example was the most recent, there have been a lot more and it has been getting more and more frequent. Some posters only seem to post lolcats/memes in feedback. almost zero actual text or opinion or feedback is given.

Its a small change but its one that will generate more discussion and less animosity / nerdrage :D which can only be a good thing when it comes to feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

update to the charter:

update is:

No issue with this obviously, but there is a typo there.

It reads Memes with be responded to with an infraction which should obviously be Memes will be responded to with an infraction.

/pedant

Advertisement