Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Milkypops wrote: »
    The Head of the FE1 department explained that if they moved them back instead of forward then that would have coincided with easter and other religious holidays....ffs like!

and also the break between the exams so they wouldnt be on straight after each other wasnt met with 100% approval and that candidates from the country for example didnt think it appropriate cos of the travelling up and down....im from the country and id be seriously glad of another day between my exams!!

That makes this whole situation even more ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eveline14

Starting to calm down a little bit now. I don't think it will matter how many people complain, I'm sure they anticipated a negative reaction and went ahead with it regardless. I think we'll just have to grin and bear it folks.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: due to a recurrence of issues around the swapping of notes/grids/manuals and other FE1 exam-related materials we will no longer facilitate this practice in this thread.

From today onwards, any exchange of materials must be done through the FE1 manuals, nutshells, papers and notes for sale thread and will be subject to the rules set out in the OP thereof.

Unfortunately, this is not up for debate. Ordinary moderators on this site are not equipped to deal with contractual disputes between users and, as a result, we will be insisting that swaps take place via adverts.ie.

Until further notice, failure to comply with this warning will result in an instant 3-day ban. We are reserving our position in relation to increasing that period if this warning is ignored/flouted.

Moderator: This is a final warning.

The next time anyone attempts to buy/sell/swap using this thread, I will totally remove the trading facilities we offer.

As I have said before, we are simply not equipped to deal with any disputes between users when things inevitably go wrong because you skipped that chapter in contract law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Charliedaly

Can't believe how relaxed people are about this, having passed 4 in October I think I have some idea of the time constraints that students are now being subjected to. It's an utter disgrace that the law society has allowed this to happen.

I really don't think that it is acceptable for a professorial services body like the law society to make light of significant published changes to examinations such as the fe1.

People should be outraged by this.

Eveline14 wrote: »
    Starting to calm down a little bit now. I don't think it will matter how many people complain, I'm sure they anticipated a negative reaction and went ahead with it regardless. I think we'll just have to grin and bear it folks.

Yeah I'm the same, don't think they realised how much two weeks mean to FE 1 students. Just have to start re planning. I see they did manage to put in Wednesday break for the October exams. Anyways like you said grin and bear it. It is quite disappointing on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Skiely33

This could have knock on effects for preparatory courses too who are all working to precise schedules, I hope they get involved! I'm a non law graduate I have literally never seen most of the material before, those two weeks were vital for revision. Im seriously considering not doing them now, could be a waste of 400 euro. Consolidated revision could be the difference between passing and failing. Literally feel sick this is appalling, what a waste of time

Can't believe how relaxed people are about this, having passed 4 in October I think I have some idea of the time constraints that students are now being subjected to. It's an utter disgrace that the law society has allowed this to happen.

I really don't think that it is acceptable for a professorial services body like the law society to make light of significant published changes to examinations such as the fe1.

People should be outraged by this.

Well Said.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Ì do not believe this. I would have rathered that they put up no 'Provisional Timetable' than let us poor sods act to our detriment by thinking we had more time than we did. This is shocking behaviour on The Law Society's part. The examiners reports for last sitting arent even out. Workwise I will not even get it off now Id say, for those of us in Cork and the south, they have already made it inconvenient by making us travel to Dublin but now they are messing people around re hotels etc, as if it wasnt expensive enough. They should be held in Cork Dublin Galway and Limerick/Waterford. Ok rant over..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Moving the exams is absolutely just disgraceful. I work full time for a solicitor and had a hard enough time to get the exam weeks off - now to have to go back and change the dates I originally said which I am sure will not go down too well but it seems the Law Society just do not care!

On a separate note, would anyone have the exam grid for Criminal, i have others (and sample answers) which I would be willing to swap for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Right that's it, I'm off to the pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

Sorry to hear about the date changes... shocking! Wondering if many people are heading to the training contract seminar thing

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Oh fantastic... I had been planning on sitting 5 in March. Three it is! Those two weeks make such a difference, especially when juggling working full time and studying. Even without working it really really cuts down and what you can get done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ireland57

Law society said they would be willing to change the dates back if there were enough complaints (and general uproar). Here's a petition that's been set up to get things moving. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-Have-the-Fe-1-Dates-Rearranged/273828379435777?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Ireland57 wrote: »
    Law society said they would be willing to change the dates back if there were enough complaints (and general uproar). Here's a petition that's been set up to get things moving. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-Have-the-Fe-1-Dates-Rearranged/273828379435777?fref=ts

Very supportive of this if the Law Society have actually said that this could potentially make an impact? What is the source for this - a phone call/email? Any idea on what qualifies as 'enough complaints?'

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TinyAdvocate

Wish this was true but slightly sceptical. The law society would have anticipated the inconvenience this change would cause for candidates. I'm sure they are aware that people wilk have now acted on the revised timetable and rearranged time of work and rebook hotels etc. I'm a bit doubtful they would have said If enough people complain they will change it back, causing even more confusion. In the off chance they actually do change the dates back id imagine it would have to be done in the next day or two and I also wonder if the venue will be different if they do change it back as the reason for the date change in the first place was because the red cow was unavailable...
    Ireland57 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ireland57

Ok the petition will go up later on today as well as a template email that we want people to send to the Law Society tomorrow to register our complaints. It won't be abusive or anything that you would worry about attaching your name too. In the meantime we need way more likes. People that rang the Law Society were told the dates can still be changed so if enough people make their dissatisfaction clear, we might have a chance! Please spread the page!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I don't mean to be harsh but I don't think this is goin to work. I have spoken to a few people who have rang the Law Society and they were assured that the new dates were not goin to change....

I will sign the petition and send an email but i do agree that the Law Society would have anticipated this reaction from us and changed the dates anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pinkvibes

Liked and shared FB page and will defo lend my voice to any emails or petition being sent to Law Society. I already emailed a letter of complaint on Friday but will gladly send another. :):mad:

The blackhall exams, that were meant to be sat at the same time as the fe-1s, have been changed back. I don't know if that necessarily means anything for us but its possible. Though this was a result of the blackhall education rep meeting with the law society

Well if the blackhall exams are put back there is no reason why the FE1's should not be. The difference is that FE 1 students are faceless compared with those in Blackhall as in we don't have a rep. The petition is a great idea, hope it works!! Also considering the comparison with the timetable that is in place already provisionally or not for October, this is in a word, shambolic.

Please someone let common sense prevail!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

what email address are people emailing their complaints to? lawschool@lawsociety.ie???

• Registered Users Posts: 33 penny1500

Hi guys, is anyone sitting a revision course for equity, company or EU this sitting? Petition signed and shared on facebook!!! It would be great if it made a difference...Thanks a mill to whoever set it up!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Kudos for the effort on this one lads. But I can't see the Law Society budging tbh.

It's very strange that they pushed the date's forward, the reasons from the someone mentioned above, certainly don't seem good enough.

But that's what happens, they are always subject to change.

Just received this:

Dear x,

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid that it was necessary to change the examination dates due to unforeseen issues around the availability of examination venues. We understand and acknowledge that this change has caused difficulties for candidates.  We looked into holding the examinations at a later date but unfortunately it wasn’t possible to find suitable venues available for the entire examination period later in the year. 

The final timetable is given below. These dates are now confirmed and will not be changed.

Tort

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Company

Thursday 20 March 2014

Property

Friday 21 March 2014

Constitutional

Monday 24 March 2014

Criminal Law

Tuesday 25 March 2014

EU

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Equity

Thursday 27 March 2014

Contract

Friday 28 March 2014

A copy of the application form for this sitting can be found at http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/FE1_March.pdf

Kind regards

Well that's that I guess...but at least you tried!!! Thanks a mill for all the effort you put in on all of our behalves...:)
    pinkvibes wrote: »
    Just received this:

Dear x,

I am afraid that it was necessary to change the examination dates due to unforeseen issues around the availability of examination venues. We understand and acknowledge that this change has caused difficulties for candidates. We looked into holding the examinations at a later date but unfortunately it wasn’t possible to find suitable venues available for the entire examination period later in the year.

The final timetable is given below. These dates are now confirmed and will not be changed.

Tort

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Company

Thursday 20 March 2014

Property

Friday 21 March 2014

Constitutional

Monday 24 March 2014

Criminal Law

Tuesday 25 March 2014

EU

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Equity

Thursday 27 March 2014

Contract

Friday 28 March 2014

A copy of the application form for this sitting can be found at http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/FE1_March.pdf

Kind regards

That's a reply to an email that I sent off my own back on Friday morning before I saw this thread so unless they change their mind later on in the week? I didn't send any petition notice, etc just my own dissatisfaction. Perhaps if we maintain our position and continue the petition, emails of complaint? I'm happy to keep it going until the end of the week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TinyAdvocate

Anyone know if they're definitely taking place in the Red Cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Just received this:

Dear x,

I am afraid that it was necessary to change the examination dates due to unforeseen issues around the availability of examination venues. We understand and acknowledge that this change has caused difficulties for candidates.  We looked into holding the examinations at a later date but unfortunately it wasn’t possible to find suitable venues available for the entire examination period later in the year. 

Tort

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Company

Thursday 20 March 2014

Property

Friday 21 March 2014

Constitutional

Monday 24 March 2014

Criminal Law

Tuesday 25 March 2014

EU

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Equity

Thursday 27 March 2014

Contract

Friday 28 March 2014

Kind regards

What a load of bull !!Surely their must be some venue is this county of ours that would facilitate 2 weeks of exams. Iam sure if one of us law students went looking we would manage to find one.Move outside of Dublin if needs be. As well as that should the law society not really have booked a venue well in advance ???? Poor form to say the least.

Yeah for sure....It's great that people are becoming involved...it's so unfair to the people studying for the exams...this is a very stressful few months as everyone well knows and this will really add to the stress!!! :)
    That's a reply to an email that I sent off my own back on Friday morning before I saw this thread so unless they change their mind later on in the week? I didn't send any petition notice, etc just my own dissatisfaction. Perhaps if we maintain our position and continue the petition, emails of complaint? I'm happy to keep it going until the end of the week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Just looking at the permitted legislation list for March and I noticed that it says the following for Comapny:

"The Companies Acts 1963 – 2012 to include all statutory instruments made under the Companies Acts or implementing EU Company Law Directives.
    OR
    MacCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2012, Student Edition, Bloomsbury Professional."

I don't have my copy with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure the one I had for the last sitting said 1963-2009....
    I presume this won't be acceptable now?
    So will have to go buy the new one? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement