Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Postgraduate Fee Grant Amount?

• 15-12-2013 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online, presumably because education assistance amounts have been changing dramatically over the last few years, but I was wondering what the maximum grant amount available is for someone to assist with postgrad fees?

I want to do a postgrad costing c.8k, and I thought you could get fees assistance of up to c.6.5 / 7k, but having looked online it seems the only grant contribution available from the most up to date information is 2k, is this correct?

It will pretty much knock postgrad study on the head for me if so, I currently get 100% adjacent grant for my undergrad, so would presumably qualify for fee assistance grant for post-grad? (as my situation is and will be the same?)

Thanks for any information / assistance you give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

It is max €6270 but very hard to get that. Your totally household income has to come in under €22000 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

There are 2 ways postgraduates may qualify for assistance under the Student Grant Scheme. They may either:
    1.Get a new flat rate fee contribution of €2,000, if they pass the fee contribution means test – see below
    Or
    2.Get all their tuition fees paid and essential field trips (up to €6,270), if they meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students – see below
    No maintenance grant is paid to new postgraduate students from 2012.
    To qualify for assistance under the Student Grant Scheme you must also meet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BellamysPiano

Hi I am currently in my 4th year of animal science and I am applying for a post grad in veterinary in Slovakia and Budapest, more than happy to take either one if accepted. Yet, if accepted, am I eligible for a post grad grant and would it pay part of my fees (7K) considering it is outside Ireland? I currently receive a grant for my course in UCD and would not be able to attend college without it. Sadly my postgrad in veterinary is under the same conditions. Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi I am currently in my 4th year of animal science and I am applying for a post grad in veterinary in Slovakia and Budapest, more than happy to take either one if accepted. Yet, if accepted, am I eligible for a post grad grant and would it pay part of my fees (7K) considering it is outside Ireland? I currently receive a grant for my course in UCD and would not be able to attend college without it. Sadly my postgrad in veterinary is under the same conditions. Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks.

No

Postgrad grants are available for Ireland and Northern Ireland

These links may be of use. You can also claim tax relief on the fees

http://www.iefa.org/

http://www.postgrad.ie/sources-government-funding.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/studying_abroad/studying_outside_ireland.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Apologies for highjacking this thread with my own query.

I am aware of the conditions of the post grad fee grant, and I know that it's based on income from the previous year.

I'm a mature student in my final year of an undergrad, and applying for a few postgrads in Dublin. Since I have earned a lot less than 22,000 a year in the last three years, I should qualify for the 6,270 contribution, right?

Or is there any stipulation that you cannot progress straight from an undergrad? Surely many mature students progressing from undergrad to postgrad are eligible for this grant then?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Butterface wrote: »
    Apologies for highjacking this thread with my own query.

I am aware of the conditions of the post grad fee grant, and I know that it's based on income from the previous year.

I'm a mature student in my final year of an undergrad, and applying for a few postgrads in Dublin. Since I have earned a lot less than 22,000 a year in the last three years, I should qualify for the 6,270 contribution, right?

Or is there any stipulation that you cannot progress straight from an undergrad? Surely many mature students progressing from undergrad to postgrad are eligible for this grant then?

Thanks.

It's less than 22,000 PLUS receiving a social welfare payment see here;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement