Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will the weather be like over Christmas?

Options
  • 12-12-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Any predictions at this stage as to whether the current very mild conditions will prevail until Christmas week? While its nice and mild its not very seasonal and I dont think going for a walk on Christmas day with just a tshirt will make it feel like Christmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

well you wont be wearing a tshirt on christmas day, the weather is trending cooler over the next 2 weeks at the moment could be anything from 2 to 12c so theres no real predictions yet, hazard an 8 and windy and showery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There will be snow on the 24th December :)

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Most likely outcome is windy & wet with temperature between 5-10c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

We'll see. But my prediction is snow on christmas eve evening.

The warm front from the south will confront a cold north easterly in dundalk and across the west creating precipitation and will slowly move south on Christmas eve. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

zenno wrote: »

The warm front from the south will confront a cold north easterly in dundalk and across the west creating precipitation and will slowly move south on Christmas eve. I kid you not.
    Do you work for Santa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The postman has spoken and he said snow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

An ugly looking Stephens Days from the GFS.

gfs-0-288.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

An ugly looking Stephens Days from the GFS.

gfs-0-288.png?12

forgive my ignorance but is the sub 528 dam nature of these various Christmas storms as modeled relevant?

forgive my ignorance but is the sub 528 dam nature of these various Christmas storms as modeled relevant?

Not really, maybe a chance for snow on mountains/high hills if some colder air got dragged down with one of them.

Bm3xuo9.png

Deflated-Santa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it will be another typical Irish snowless Christmas day but perhaps a bit of the windy side of things! There will be plenty of wind over the next couple of weeks with the Atlantic back in full swing.

Twas the night before christmas.... :p

gJ3NUHt.png

06Z GFS showing rain turning to snow on Christmas Day. Only FI of course, and would be marginal anyway.

9Cpq0HU.png

06Z GFS showing rain turning to snow on Christmas Day. Only FI of course, and would be marginal anyway.

9Cpq0HU.png

I'm dreaming of a white..........

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

I am not going to look at any of the weather maps over the next 10 days. although its looks quite stormy and zonal, Anything can happen, My bet is on a White Christmas with Easterlies or Nortn Easterlies on the big day

• Registered Users Posts: 51,567 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

zenno wrote: »

Could you not have left Dundalk out of it?
    We get enough blame as it is.

From snow on the 06Z to double digits on the 12Z. Thats why they call it FI...

gfs-0-240.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS goes for a mild and settled Christmas day. ECM, on the other hand, has misery written all over it with a strong W flow with squally hail and sleet showers. Still very uncertain.

12Z ECM has an outrageous 913mb low southeast of Iceland on Christmas Day, which is not only the deepest low I have ever seen on the ECM in almost 10 years of model watching, but if it verified it would be the most intense low ever recorded in the north Atlantic.

NuNYSKx.gif

Just FI of course :D but a very rare thing to see.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

As I said on the other thread, Christmas looks jinxed this year, first it was ESB strikes now hurricanes :-)

• Advertisement

See attachment below - maybe I'm missing something such as altitude but I'd have thought a chart, 8 days out, showing potential for a white christmas is worth commenting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The last thing we want is bad wind at Christmas. It was bad enough in Cork, Mayo and Donegal today for sure and I know as I am in the former! Of course, hurricanes and other poor weather ruined other recent Christmases before:

1997: extreme 100+ mph (I mean mph not kph!!) with gusts reaching 120+ mph in some places put out the power for between 3 to 7 days for people in Southern half of Ireland from Christmas Eve on, but the storm's ferocity was felt as far north as Leitrim and Cavan too.
    1998: Unfortunately, the same happened again this year. A mirror image storm/hurricane came along but this time it was on St Stephen's Day. The Northern half of the country bore the brunt but it was again a nasty piece of work everywhere and again power outages of between 3 and 7 days were common.
    1999: Another bad storm comes in Christmas 1999 and again puts out the power. It is less severe than the previous 2 though but is followed up with extremely cold weather.
    December 2009/January 2010: The lead up to Christmas this year was remarkably cold for the time of year and snow showers and ice made roads treacherous on occasion. However, the cold spell of December/January 09/10 did not inconvenience one too much.
    2010: The most recent worst weather event came on 27 November 2010 with snowfalls that made all roads even main roads treacherous within hours. 2 things made this one VERY different to past snow events: it came early and it lasted until St Stephen's day. A whole month. Many until then dreamed of a white Christmas (and snow on Christmas eve/day when all the shopping is done would be fine) but the reality of pre-Christmas snow made shopping and attending events extremely difficult if not impossible for many. The novelty of snow also faded due to its lengthy stay (even so much so, it overshadowed the IMF/EU troika coming into Ireland and the budget as the biggest worry for people).

Most other Christmases were generally either mild and sunny (very common believe it or not: last year is an example), mild and wet, cold and sunny/frosty, or cold and wet. This year we will have to wait and see: everything from horrid wind to bad snow as usual have been mentioned (and are possible of course as we have seen) but hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

I would say this Christmas Day will be windy and showery 7c

I think it will be very windy at some part of the the day with 100kph winds possible maybe when Santa is in the chimneypot so toys could be damaged.

After that I reckon a blustery showery day but nothing we cant cope with.

Hail and Sleet but snow on hilltops so Knock still on for weather comp. 12c isnt unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Gonzo wrote: »
    it will be another typical Irish snowless Christmas day but perhaps a bit of the windy side of things! There will be plenty of wind over the next couple of weeks with the Atlantic back in full swing.

If its any consalation most of Europe will be snowless this Christmas. Even Scandinavia is struggling apart from the northern areas. We had massive snow falls in November in southern poland, but its only lying now out of the sun (its been sunny for past 2 weeks but still below freezing for daytime and very cold at night)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Christmas?

ollie-williams.png

Gone' be Widny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

snaps wrote: »
    If its any consalation most of Europe will be snowless this Christmas. Even Scandinavia is struggling apart from the northern areas. We had massive snow falls in November in southern poland, but its only lying now out of the sun (its been sunny for past 2 weeks but still below freezing for daytime and very cold at night)
    I was talking to the wifes father on skype they are from medyka out side the city of przemysl poland .he reconds the new year is to be bad for snow ,but reconds they will get some for christmas,hope your new life is goning well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ZX7R wrote: »
    I was talking to the wifes father on skype they are from medyka out side the city of przemysl poland .he reconds the new year is to be bad for snow ,but reconds they will get some for christmas,hope your new life is goning well:)

We still have lots of snow lying from november. The ground is frozen solid too. Its sub zero during day and night, but one thing I have noticed it doesn't feel that bad as humidity is low (currently -2 and 30% humidity). Most nights since November its -8 or below. We have a fast moving river through our land, its started to freeze.
    There's a chance of snow Christmas and typical we have a fireworks party planned for 31st as its my birthday as well as new year, so far it looks like it might turn on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What will the weather be like over Christmas?
    Tomorrow I'm stocking up on batteries, candles and anything that might come in handy during power cuts! - and I'm not joking!
    The 27th is looking biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

From snow on the 06Z to double digits on the 12Z. Thats why they call it FI...

gfs-0-240.png?12

not one like!

Cause in my opinion, that would do the finest! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

At the moment it still looks good for some sleet and snow showers on Christmas eve, especially on high ground, but hopefully at lower levels too

Advertisement