Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs = less crime/drug-addiction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You need to explain what exact fault you think there is
    The basics of your plan seems to be forced labour for people you see as undesirables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

ScumLord wrote: »
    People took far more drugs during the boom when they had disposable income. Drugs and lack of jobs aren't really the source of addicts problems they're just a symptom.

Even if we could find all these jobs and forced junkies to go into these jobs everyday it wouldn't automatically turn them into upstanding citizens full of self worth.

I think these problems start in childhood, these people have to adapt to a life of surviving with little hope of advancing themselves out of their current social standing. Fixing that will go someway to preventing people from becoming addicted to drugs. At the end of the day though, drugs are fun and there are always going to be people who want to take them and there'll be a smaller amount who won't be able to control their use of the drug.
    Well, the lack of job is more likely to be an underlying root cause, in the current economy, rather than a symptom (not for all addicts though, of course) - but yes, I don't mean to emphasize drug use in the thread (it's relevant, but seems to distract from what I'm getting at), crime is a better focus.

Finding jobs wouldn't really be a practical problem at all, since government is more than capable of funding a jobs program for all of the unemployed (using the method described in the OP) - and government could also provide programs for helping addicts improve enough, to manage well in these jobs.

I agree that these problems can start in childhood, and making the funding available (using methods I've discussed) for helping prevent that, could aid in this too.
    That may even be a good focus, for some of the types of jobs in the jobs program I advocate - community help and education type jobs, would go some way to doing this, be interesting to hear what suggestions people would have there.

The basics of your plan seems to be forced labour for people you see as undesirables.
    Heh - nobody would be forced into a job, but everybody would have the opportunity of being provided one, in the program I advocate.

Well, the lack of job is more likely to be an underlying root cause, in the current economy, rather than a symptom (not for all addicts though, of course) - but yes, I don't mean to emphasize drug use in the thread (it's relevant, but seems to distract from what I'm getting at), crime is a better focus.
    So if I'm out committing crimes, selling drugs for huge profits, going to parties to sell my drugs, stealing cars and milling it until the things engine explodes, how are you going to convince me to take a minimum wage job sweeping floors?
    Heh - nobody would be forced into a job, but everybody would have the opportunity of being provided one, in the program I advocate.
    Unless you force them to work they won't work. So providing jobs to people that don't want them while other cry out for jobs is pointless.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know exactly what 'zero coupon' is (as does anyone who can type it into Google).

Either you didn't understand what it means or you chose to misrepresent it by characterising them as some sort of zero cost measure, e.g.
    I know a fair bit about economics and policies that can be used to recover from the economic crisis....
    ...no increase in taxes, or public debt, or interest paid on any debts.
    These seem to be analogous to government bonds (but are not counted as public debt), except they don't carry any interest...

And so on...

• Advertisement

So if I'm out committing crimes, selling drugs for huge profits, going to parties to sell my drugs, stealing cars and milling it until the things engine explodes, how are you going to convince me to take a minimum wage job sweeping floors?
    I would say that first, there have to be ample jobs available for the people who commit crime, so that they first have an alternative means of earning - I think this could solve the problem for a portion of criminals (especially ones engaging in low-level/petty crime), but certainly not all.

For ones like you describe here, they'd have to go through the justice system, but again - once they get out there need to be jobs available that they can go into, in order to have a way to reintegrate them into society.

I'd also advocate modifications to the justice system, like in Norway, to try and more directly reform inmates into reintegrating into society.

You're right though, it won't work for everybody - but I think it would work for many, and would go a long way to resolving the problems discussed in the thread.
    Unless you force them to work they won't work. So providing jobs to people that don't want them while other cry out for jobs is pointless.
    It would provide jobs for everyone, so those who are already looking for a job wouldn't be left out.

I don't think the idea that they all don't want to work - I don't think that idea is true. For some of them it is, but I think for a lot of them it isn't, and that the problem can still be gradually resolved.

Either you didn't understand what it means or you chose to misrepresent it by characterising them as some sort of zero cost measure, e.g.

And so on...
    Explain your criticism - you're only implying that something is wrong, not explaining it, and when you do that, it opens up the ability for you to use this rhetorical way of arguing:
    You need to explain what exact fault you think there is - if someone just implies a fault, without an explanation, that allows them to:
    1: Never explain what the actual fault is supposed to be, thus avoiding a counterargument, and
    2: Continue to use it as an implied argument, and just say "it's obvious" - turning it into a purely rhetorical argument (which doesn't even have to be true).

You need to explain your criticism (not just leave it implied) for others to understand it, and for me to respond to it - just explain it instead of expecting people to enter into a guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

danniemcq wrote: »
    explain all those execs on coke, the fast food people on weed, the musicians on heroin, the 9-5ers on e.

Jobs do not mean less drugs jobs mean more drugs to cope with jobs!

Ah yeah, nothing better to clear up the old monday blues than popping an ecstasy, although the come down in evening traffic can be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Simply put, you're claiming this is a zero-cost way of borrowing money. It isn't.

That's before we even get into the whole issue of creating jobs for the sake of it.

I would say that first, there have to be ample jobs available for the people who commit crime, so that they first have an alternative means of earning - I think this could solve the problem for a portion of criminals (especially ones engaging in low-level/petty crime), but certainly not all.
    But we had that during the boom, people were working for the weekend, people didn't care at all about their jobs because they could roll from one to the other. I've seen plenty of people with jobs do crime just for the craic of it during the boom no body cared about anything back then simply because there was an abundance of jobs and very little consequences for messing up.
    I'd also advocate modifications to the justice system, like in Norway, to try and more directly reform inmates into reintegrating into society.
    Rehabilitation would be key and would make a difference. At the moment going to jail is like going to crime collage, you more than likely won't come out reformed and will more than likely be deaper into the crime lifestyle than when you went in.
    It would provide jobs for everyone, so those who are already looking for a job wouldn't be left out.
    But jobs can't just be made up out of the blue or else we're just spending money to make people busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Creating more jobs and tackling antisocial behaviour are two separate issues I think. There are no easy answers but trying to lock the gate after the horse has bolted is not the way forward, in my opinion. A lot of those people need a lot of rehabilitation and even then some are too far gone to change. Also, if you start giving people jobs who don't really want them or respect them it will just dilute the integrity of that job. Some jobs don't require many formal qualifications but they're still respected and many people who do them take pride in their work. A good example would be someone who looks after a park.

Simply put, you're claiming this is a zero-cost way of borrowing money. It isn't.

That's before we even get into the whole issue of creating jobs for the sake of it.
    It's not borrowing money, you don't even understand what it is that the link I put forward is proposing - people get paid in TAN's (Tax Anticipation Notes), and those TAN's are usable to pay down future taxes.
    No investors exchanging money for them, no borrowing of anything.

You still haven't explained the exact problem you see with it, you're only implying a problem - without any explanation. At least provide an explanation of the problem you think there is.

But we had that during the boom, people were working for the weekend, people didn't care at all about their jobs because they could roll from one to the other. I've seen plenty of people with jobs do crime just for the craic of it during the boom no body cared about anything back then simply because there was an abundance of jobs and very little consequences for messing up.
    Perhaps, but the situation we have now, is that these societal problems are getting worse, and making sure there is ample provision of jobs is part of the solution for resolving these problems.
    Rehabilitation would be key and would make a difference. At the moment going to jail is like going to crime collage, you more than likely won't come out reformed and will more than likely be deaper into the crime lifestyle than when you went in.
    Absolutely - agreed there.
    But jobs can't just be made up out of the blue or else we're just spending money to make people busy.
    There is plenty of work to be done - for starters, we need to restaff the public sector, and there are many infrastructural projects that have been put on the sidelines due to the crisis, that can be revived (and more started beyond them), and there needs to be a whole system put in place for education about and treatment of mental health difficulties, and there is ample room for expansion of services for helping with education about and treatment/rehabilitation of drug addiction, among with many other health-related service and infrastructural expansions that would benefit the country; community redevelopment projects, massive infrastructural changes and R&D for moving away from fossil fuels.

There's a huge amount of stuff that can be done and is worth doing (even changes to the justice system, like large changes to infrastructure to create places more like in Norway); these are just a handful of things, that I'm sure other posters can add to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Stupid thread is stupid OP. Some of the hardest working people I know are the biggest druggies going. Probably cos they need to feed their habit :D

Pug160 wrote: »
    Creating more jobs and tackling antisocial behaviour are two separate issues I think. There are no easy answers but trying to lock the gate after the horse has bolted is not the way forward, in my opinion. A lot of those people need a lot of rehabilitation and even then some are too far gone to change. Also, if you start giving people jobs who don't really want them or respect them it will just dilute the integrity of that job. Some jobs don't require many formal qualifications but they're still respected and many people who do them take pride in their work. A good example would be someone who looks after a park.
    Good points, and I think at least that providing more jobs for the facilities/services needed for rehabilitation is a good area for expanding employment (taking from the general pool of unemployed people, not specifically the people with problems).

They are two separate problems alright, though I think ample availability of jobs would help prevent the antisocial behaviour worsening (or slow that down), and also provides those who engage in that behaviour, a solid way to step back into productive society, instead of potentially getting stuck having crime as the primary option.

I think for people who may carry their antisocial behaviour into work, and give some jobs a bad name - I think those people would need to be reformed somewhat first, before entering the jobs program, which should prevent those jobs worsening in integrity.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Stupid thread is stupid OP. Some of the hardest working people I know are the biggest druggies going. Probably cos they need to feed their habit :D
    Meh - I really didn't want the thread to focus on the drug taking aspect, I don't really think that's all to big a problem, so will edit the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OP,

It'd probably have been better if you started your hypothesis off as "More jobs = less violence and crime."

If people don't have the fear of providing money or food would they be less likely to become involved in the more nefarious aspects of society. Would this also lead to exploring interesting insights into the phenomenon of drug addictions? For instance, would it shed more light on which demographics are the most vulnerable to becoming substance dependent. There, of course, you also have to explore various types of work environments and whether these can lead to anti-social behaviour problems or substance dependence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jernal wrote: »
    OP,

It'd probably have been better if you started your hypothesis off as "More jobs = less violence and crime."

If people don't have the fear of providing money or food would they be less likely to become involved in the more nefarious aspects of society. Would this also lead to exploring interesting insights into the phenomenon of drug addictions? For instance, would it shed more light on which demographics are the most vulnerable to becoming substance dependent. There, of course, you also have to explore various types of work environments and whether these can lead to anti-social behaviour problems or substance dependence.

And just as I wrote it . . .:)

It's not borrowing money, you don't even understand what it is that the link I put forward is proposing - people get paid in TAN's (Tax Anticipation Notes), and those TAN's are usable to pay down future taxes.

It doesn't matter if you're selling them or paying people in them, they are still zero coupon instruments. And since you're appeared to acknowledge that "zero coupon" doesn't equal "free money", I'm not sure why you're still trying to argue that there isn't a cost involved.

You can employ all the semantic arguments you want about. But that still doesn't change the fact that you can't get something for nothing. Which seems to be a perennial theme with your proposed solutions. The last time it was printing money.

OP,

Yes, that would have been a much better way to put it :) (I was trying too hard, to refer to the other threads from today, about 'sterilizing junkies', and vigilantism against junkies/petty-criminals).

I'll try to restate some of this, in a better way (which is difficult though):
    My view on the drug addiction, and how that relates to jobs, is that some of people who have fallen out of work, have fallen on very hard times personally as a result of this, some of them even falling into homelessness.

This then, may lead to some of them starting to take drugs in order to cope with and/or distract from their situation, which is a cycle they may get stuck in - the drug addiction (if it gets out of hand) may make it hard for them to work their way back up to employment/stability again, and the general lack of jobs makes this even more difficult again.

This may also help turn some people towards crime (particularly petty crime), who may otherwise not end up that way - some to fuel a drug habit, some for other more complicated reasons.

It's a complicated set of societal problems, and I don't want to generalize about it; I think these are just some of the ways some people can fall through societies cracks, and end up in these situations.

I think that making sure there is ample availability of jobs (through a job guarantee program - which I explained a method of funding in the OP), would both prevent people ending up in these situations, and would give those in that situation, a way out and give them some decent future prospects to look towards (with the side effect, of helping the rest of the unemployed, and the entire economy in general too)

I even think such a jobs program, can specifically put together programs for helping to tackle/aid these societal problems through programs aimed at health and mental health services, and educational/rehabilitative services - all of these additional services would create new jobs too.

• Advertisement

And just as I wrote it . . .:)
    Heh :) Yes the OP is still not perfect, but hopefully I've de-emphasized drugs enough now, as a primary problem.

It doesn't matter if you're selling them or paying people in them, they are still zero coupon instruments. And since you're appeared to acknowledge that "zero coupon" doesn't equal "free money", I'm not sure why you're still trying to argue that there isn't a cost involved.

You can employ all the semantic arguments you want about. But that still doesn't change the fact that you can't get something for nothing. Which seems to be a perennial theme with your proposed solutions. The last time it was printing money.
    Again you're not explaining what your criticism is: What problem do you see, with them being 'zero-coupon'?

TAN's might be zero-coupon, but they are not something that investors buy, they are something that people are paid in; I've never claimed that you get "something for nothing".

I've never claimed that you get "something for nothing".

Yes you have. You inferred there was no cost, e.g.

"zero coupon (no interest payment)" "no interest paid on any debts".

I've been very clear what my criticism is. You're being misleading.

Yes you have. You inferred there was no cost, e.g.

"zero coupon (no interest payment)" "no interest paid on any debts".

I've been very clear what my criticism is. You're being misleading.
    There you go, right like I predicted earlier, you're now using the "it's obvious" line of rhetorical argument, and are stonewalling/refusing-to-explain:
    You need to explain what exact fault you think there is - if someone just implies a fault, without an explanation, that allows them to:
    1: Never explain what the actual fault is supposed to be, thus avoiding a counterargument, and
    2: Continue to use it as an implied argument, and just say "it's obvious" - turning it into a purely rhetorical argument (which doesn't even have to be true).
    That you pay no interest on TAN's, does not mean you 'get something for nothing'. Zero-coupon, does not mean 'something for nothing'.

A worker provides his labour, gets paid TAN's, and then gets to pay off part of his tax liabilities, using TAN's - that's not something for nothing.

You're now also trying to switch your argument into a semantic one, where you're going to argue over whether or not you can warp 'zero-coupon' into meaning 'something for nothing', instead of your original attempt, to say that since TAN's are 'zero-coupon', that means "TAN's will not work".
    You have not explained the latter, only implied it, and I'm still waiting for an explanation.

To actually try and move this past the stonewalling:
    What exact negative thing do you say will happen, if someone has part of his salary (say 20% of it) paid in TAN's?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

There you go, right like I predicted earlier, you're now using the "it's obvious" line of rhetorical argument, and are stonewalling/refusing-to-explain:

That you pay no interest on TAN's, does not mean you 'get something for nothing'. Zero-coupon, does not mean 'something for nothing'.

A worker provides his labour, gets paid TAN's, and then gets to pay off part of his tax liabilities, using TAN's - that's not something for nothing.

You're now also trying to switch your argument into a semantic one, where you're going to argue over whether or not you can warp 'zero-coupon' into meaning 'something for nothing', instead of your original attempt, to say that since TAN's are 'zero-coupon', that means "TAN's will not work".
    You have not explained the latter, only implied it, and I'm still waiting for an explanation.

To actually try and move this past the stonewalling:
    What exact negative thing do you say will happen, if someone has part of his salary (say 20% of it) paid in TAN's?

He is not saying the vendor is getting something for nothing, he is saying the government is getting something for nothing (or at least pretends they did). When you do your taxes, and pay the government in TANs instead of Euros, where is the government going to get the Euros to plug the resultant budget hole?

I'm going to take that as (a rather lengthy) acknowledgment that yes, there will be a cost to raising this money you need to finance this scheme. You may think that cost to the public purse is worth it, but it's important to acknowledge that it exists. Because to be honest your initial posts gave a different impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Or maybe, there's a reason (some precipitating events) for why they became addicted in the first place?

Lack of future prospects, including lack of hope of getting a job, perhaps having become homeless and ending up on the streets; how are you going to get them off the streets and into a life where they can be self-sufficient (not relying on the state, for example), if you don't give them jobs?

That might be the motivation for some but not the majority of drug takers and it is very unjust to the unemployed who don't do any thing like that they just get on with it and manage the best they can( or spend their days numbing there brains with video games ).

Gandhi wrote: »
    He is not saying the vendor is getting something for nothing, he is saying the government is getting something for nothing (or at least pretends they did). When you do your taxes, and pay the government in TANs instead of Euros, where is the government going to get the Euros to plug the resultant budget hole?
    The government can fund the budget hole, with more TAN's - essentially keeping the same amount of TAN's in circulation.

Once the economy has fully recovered, which is judged by having full private sector employment - with all the workers in the government jobs program, having been re-employed in the private sector, after the private sector has re-inflated.
    Once the economy has fully recovered like that, government will reduce spending but will keep taxes at the same level (so that spending is less than taxes), and this will gradually reduce the amount of TAN's in circulation, until there are none left.

This lets government extend spending today (with TAN's), in order to achieve economic recovery faster, and reel-in the extended spending (TAN's) once recovery is achieved.

I'm going to take that as (a rather lengthy) acknowledgment that yes, there will be a cost to raising this money you need to finance this scheme. You may think that cost to the public purse is worth it, but it's important to acknowledge that it exists. Because to be honest your initial posts gave a different impression.
    Ok, perhaps we were getting wires a bit crossed there - it certainly wouldn't be cost-free, and yes, it's important to acknowledge that.

Another way to think of it, is that it is like being able to extend public debt, but it carries zero interest, and it can be paid back whenever we like - there is a cost (the debt must be repaid), but we can defer it into the future without any additional cost, since we don't have any interest payments to pay on it - so this makes it completely sustainable, and totally different to borrowing (we in fact, would not seek out investors to borrow from, but would be directly paying people in these bond-like notes instead - this debt would be 'repaid' when people use TAN's to pay tax liabilities, but as my post above describes, this can be extended by reissuing TAN's).

I don't personally like this public-debt analogy, because it can give people the wrong idea (and because this actually wouldn't be counted as debt), but it's a more understandable way of looking at it.
    It has its limits (we would not want to have too many TAN's in circulation), but it allows a significant expansion in spending, which can achieve recovery.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    That might be the motivation for some but not the majority of drug takers and it is very unjust to the unemployed who don't do any thing like that they just get on with it and manage the best they can( or spend their days numbing there brains with video games ).
    True, it would be the motivation only for some drug takers - I don't understand what you mean, when you say "it is very unjust to the unemployed who don't do any thing like that" though? (what is it that would be unjust?)

Advertisement