Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood - How to get the best value in logs for firewood....

Options
  • 18-08-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I have seen a number of posts here enquiring about how/where to buy logs that people can cut up for firewood. I am involved in forestry in the Mid West area and here is my tuppence worth.

1. Buy logs which are stacked at roadside in a forest. This is because no other cost has been incurred by the owner of the logs with the exception of cutting them and having them brought to roadside.
    2 Buy local - haulage is a big cost ranging from 200e a load right up to over 400e load for longer distances.
    3. Buy freshly cut wet logs - and have them hauled home, stack them properly and cover them. If you buy dry seasoned logs it will have cost the seller an additional haulage (to their own yard to dry them), and time (logs will take one to two years to dry fully). This costs money and has to be added to the price you will be charged for dry/seasoned timber.

If you have installed a wood stove or are going to install one dont be too worried about fuel, no-one is going to outsmart you if your fuel is chopped firewood. Initially you might have to pay a higher price for dry/seasoned firewood but if you are dealing with reputable supplier then you can order ahead your wet load of firewood (or half load) and next time your supplier is thinning a forest in your area he can ring you and if you are ready to take the logs your will have them...

Regarding the heat value of firewood versus oil...
    Coford have a very interesting 'Fuel Conversion Cost Comparison' programme and I plugged in a few figures into it..
    1000 litres of light oil (kerosene) is equivalent to 2.4T (or 4.7m3 solid) of softwood at 20% moisture content. Based on oil costing 85 cent litre and dry seasoned logs costing €112.50T (€1800 for a 16T load of dry logs), both being burned in boilers/stoves at 85% efficiency... the oil would cost €850 and the logs would cost €274, less than a third of the cost of oil. This represents a huge potential saving for any house owner.
    Granted you have the costs and work of buying and cutting the logs but if you are currently burning 2000 litres to heat your house, changing to logs could save you over €1000 this year and next year if you bought the wet logs for say €1200 load you would save even more...

Hope this has been helpful and answers some of your questions...

as an afterthought I am attaching a picture of how to stack wet logs properly so as to ensure proper drying...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shanemc123

Do u have logs for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Yes... where are you based and how much are you looking for?
    shanemc123 wrote: »
    Do u have logs for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Nice one Jack thank you.

That looks like a very high stack, do you have a crane to take it apart. Do you stack it in a sort of triangle with post at either ends to hold in place? How high above the top of these posts is the apex of the stack? Would love to see pictures of completed stack from a few angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shanemc123

Galway/Clare.maybe a lorry load.where are u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

shanemc123 wrote: »
    Galway/Clare.maybe a lorry load.where are u

yes in Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lejeffy

Hi jack, i am living in Stillorgan south dublin and would be interested in buying some wood from you as well...
    What are the quantities you are selling and what would be your price?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards
    Lejeffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

cant beat free advertising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What types of timber are you selling? Ash? Beech? Spruce?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

Also looking for a lorry load of logs would prefer a single lorry not lorry and trailer. Mayo/Westport area if anyone know were I could get one would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rebel001

I am looking for a lorry load of logs to process myself for domestic use, based in the Drogheda area. After contacting Coillte, it looks like they have a long list of customers to satisfy before I can be supplied. Anyone else with timber for sale please PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 e39bmw

milkprofit wrote: »
    yes in Wicklow

Hi im interested in a load can you PM with price? im based in artane Dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Hi, Also living in Dublin 5. Can u PM me price per ? quantity thanks. Need a large load. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

Living in north Louth area, looking for large delivery of logs? Pm too please

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danger22

Living in West Wicklow. Looking for large delivery of logs. Please PM me if you can help. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

We have yard full of Softwood cut into 5- 6 foot lengths selling cheap we are based North Tipp PM me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

SIX PACK wrote: »
    We have yard full of Softwood cut into 5- 6 foot lengths selling cheap we are based North Tipp PM me if interested

What price for 12 * 6 ft 2 ft heigh

8 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

When I see this thread, I wonder why the State is not grant aiding the installation of wood burning stoves,as opposed to pellet boilers, etc. It would stimulate demand, keep prices competitive, encourage forest owners to thin properly and wean people off turf.
    I asked a politician about it -he said that it was nobbled by some govt. hack who said people could not be trusted not to burn their household rubbish in the stoves....

milkprofit wrote: »
    What price for 12 * 6 ft 2 ft heigh

8 6

€70. if you want that 12 x 6 filled with Ash in 5 foot lengths €100

€70. if you want that 12 x 6 filled with Ash in 5 foot lengths €100

How does one cut that five-foot-long ash into 10-inch pieces? Speaking as a wimp, like? I just spent half an hour trying to cut a eucalyptus log with an axe and ended up with a log with a few little marks on it.

I suppose 1 of these bad boys is your best friend then http://www.stihl.ie/
    8x4 trailer with cut up Ash €125. Their is a lot of Labour involved in this game.
    Anyone who sells timber knows how much hardship is in it.
    Most people who do this occupation just do it because they love working with wood.

Its Just a Hobby your not going to get Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mojo66

Hi, Living in Bray, Wicklow. Interested in Lorry load of logs. Any still available? Wood? Price?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lejeffy

Hi, i am Living in south dublin, stillorgan. Looking for logs. Please PM me if you can help. Many thanks.

I suppose 1 of these bad boys is your best friend then http://www.stihl.ie/

I've heard that you shouldn't use a chainsaw without doing a course first. Where do you find these courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

I've heard that you shouldn't use a chainsaw without doing a course first. Where do you find these courses?

http://www.treecareireland.com

http://www.dermotcaseytreecare.ie

TTTT wrote: »

Hm, doesn't say how much the course costs - http://www.treecareireland.com/BasicChainsaw%20course.asp
    and broken link:
    http://www.dermotcaseytreecare.ie/our-services/tree-surgery-courses
    Maybe people aren't doing the safety courses. Might give B&Q a ring - they often run handy DIY courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A course won't be cheap but then again saws need to be handled safely.
    A good saw needs care regular edging, cleaning and clean properly mixed fuel. Learn all you can about basic maintenance on course.
    Good luck and be careful.
    PS while PPE such as boots chaps gloves etc are strongly recommended they are no substitute for unsafe techniques/equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Hm, doesn't say how much the course costs - http://www.treecareireland.com/BasicChainsaw%20course.asp
    and broken link:
    http://www.dermotcaseytreecare.ie/our-services/tree-surgery-courses
    Maybe people aren't doing the safety courses. Might give B&Q a ring - they often run handy DIY courses.

Phone them.
    I did the CS 30 + 31 with Tree Care Ireland for €975 although you might only need CS 30 for cutting up firewood as CS31 is felling small (under 380mm) trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steven704

hi im looking for some unseasoned logs if you still have them can collect

TTTT wrote: »
    Phone them.
    I did the CS 30 + 31 with Tree Care Ireland for €975 although you might only need CS 30 for cutting up firewood as CS31 is felling small (under 380mm) trees.

What does this mean, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 leacy22

Wheres the best place to get the tool that checks moisture in wood? I tired aldi but didnt have it,. alternatively if I buy wood thats wet how long does it usually take to dry... I presume depends on the moisture (e.g. 20-80%)

Advertisement