Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of drive Cappagh Rd to Parkmore

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am wondering how long it would take me to drive from Cappagh Road to Parkmore Business Park in the mornings? I start work at 8.30.

Would I be stuck in crap traffic or would it be better to be on the other side of town?

I am looking for somewhere quiet and safe enough to walk around in the evenings and thought this area might be good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

You are gonna get hit with traffic no doubt, but imo it's still worth living west of the river regardless.. Allow half an hour in the morning and the same in the evening.

Considered cycling? No traffic problems there and it's only about 7.5miles.... nothin to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Thanks a mill for your response :)

Yea, I am loving the idea of living on the west side. Would it be an expensive taxi in to town or could I walk it on a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

McTigs wrote: »
    You are gonna get hit with traffic no doubt, but imo it's still worth living west of the river regardless.. Allow half an hour in the morning and the same in the evening.

At 8.30am start time i would allow at least 40mins in the morning and same in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If you're starting at 8:30, it will take you ~20 mins max using back roads.
    If you use the main roads, you'll be slowed with lights and school traffic.

From Cappagh Rd, here's the route to take...
    Cappagh to Parkmore

By using Ballymoneen rather than Clybaun, you won't get stuck in a long line of traffic trying to go straight through the croassroads at the end of the Clybaun Rd, you'll be on the road already with right of way to turn left.
    Use Siobhan McKenna Rd to avoid all the lights along Bishop O'Donnell road.

Coming home of course is a different story, it will take longer.

Thanks so much. I am at a total loss really on where to live. I like the idea of the west but am wondering is it practical.

Would someone kindly answer this for me:

Would the Cappagh Road area be ok to walk around in the dark evenings?
    Am I too far out of town or am I still within town walking distance? I do not want to be too far out of town either, as in spend loads of money on cabs.

thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

verywell wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for your response :)

Yea, I am loving the idea of living on the west side. Would it be an expensive taxi in to town or could I walk it on a night out?

It's an hour's walk to the city centre from Cappagh Road, I reckon. A taxi would be €10-15.

There are bus services in the area. I can't recall the link just now (sorry Mrs OBumble :o) but I'll look it up and post it shortly.

I used to cycle 12 km to Parkmore. The route will have improved somewhat following the Seamus Quirke Road modifications and the removal of the Bodkin roundabout, but tbh I would not recommend cycling your commute unless you are a determined cyclist and have showering facilities at work. Otherwise it's a great idea, because your commute time is pretty much guaranteed, and you'll get super fit (unless you're already in that condition!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I would absolutely recommend living on the west side the commute will take between 30 to 45 mins each way. Which really isnt to bad. I have worked up near Parkmore Business Park in the past and live in Salthill it is a relatively easy commute.

Yes Cappagh Road is in general safe. If you want to go for a walk in the evenings the prom is less than a 10 min drive. Walking into town would take almost an hr.

Here's the bus info: http://www.galwaytransport.info/

Walking from, say, Cappagh Road to the Prom takes about 20 minutes. Lots of locals do it.

There's also Cappagh Park, but that would be for daytime. A lot of people regularly walk around the general Knocknacarra area, including along the Western Distributor Road. Personally I find the WDR very unpleasant, as the traffic is very fast (outside of "rush" hour) and there are no pedestrian crossings whatsoever.

thanks all. Ummm... so it is not as near town as I thought.

As I wont really know anyone up there, I don't want to be too far out of town the if I am invited out. Makes for an expensive evening!

Is there other areas nearby that would be good to live in? Salthill is way outta my budget :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Cappagh Road, very safe to walk around in the evenings.
    No problems at all, well lit also.

I commute across town daily.
    For work at 8:30 id leave by 7:40 to get there in plenty of time.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cappagh is as far west as you get without hitting Barna.
    Mornings the Knocker roads are full of school runs around that time so that will slow you down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

verywell wrote: »
    thanks all. Ummm... so it is not as near town as I thought.

As I wont really know anyone up there, I don't want to be too far out of town the if I am invited out. Makes for an expensive evening!

Is there other areas nearby that would be good to live in? Salthill is way outta my budget :(

I'd give serious thought to renting in the Ballybrit area and walking to Parkmore as the estate is not much more than a 15 minute walk from most of the area. You'll save on commuting costs (but it will probably be balanced by the cost of washing clothes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

From Cappagh Rd, here's the route to take...
    Cappagh to Parkmore
    That is one serious rat run, West of the Corrib.

That is one serious rat run, West of the Corrib.

Preferable to sitting in traffic going nowhere.

Preferable to sitting in traffic going nowhere.

Yes and it's still rat running.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It you're looking for a nicer area, try Roscam. Great bus route in t town for nights, about E12 home in a taxi afterwards.

I really don't get the whole "west is best" thing. Prom is a strip of tarmac full of people who are walking it only to be seen. Everything else is blah ...

I would consider it using the public roads that are available to me to get to where I want to go in the shortest possible time at a given time of day.

I would consider it using the public roads that are available to me to get to where I want to go in the shortest possible time at a given time of day.

:confused: Is this your definition of rat running?

:confused: Is this your definition of rat running?

No, I wouldn't consider my route rat running at all, it's a completely alternative route.

I would consider something like ducking into a housing estate or shopping centre car park only to re-emerge a few hundred metres up the road as rat-running, something like ducking in to Dunnes Stores Terryland after Pillo Hotel and coming out up near the old roundabout.

What is your definition of rat-running?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What is your definition of rat-running?
    It is getting to X by avoiding the main route. Simple.

English definition of “rat run”: a small road that is used by a lot of drivers who are trying to avoid traffic on larger roads

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It you're looking for a nicer area, try Roscam. Great bus route in t town for nights, about E12 home in a taxi afterwards.

I really don't get the whole "west is best" thing. Prom is a strip of tarmac full of people who are walking it only to be seen. Everything else is blah ...

I dunno about being 'seen' or whatever but I have to say the prom (and most of Salthill) is one of the most over-rated attractions of Galway.

I think there's much nicer walks to be had along the canal, with a stop into petit rouge at the end for a nice relaxing glass of wine :)

And who cares of it is or it isn't, I certainly wouldn't give a damn, I use any available route to make my journey quicker be it back roads, side roads, housing estates, shopping centre car parks etc etc.
    I dunno about being 'seen' or whatever but I have to say the prom (and most of Salthill) is one of the most over-rated attractions of Galway.

The prom is underrated if anything, I love going there for a walk or run if I have a chance on weekends I'm back in Galway, I'd be on the prom regularly if I was living close enough, fantastic place.

I've driven in from home, miles outside the city just to run on the prom on a few occasions.

And who cares of it is or it isn't, I certainly wouldn't give a damn, I use any available route to make my journey quicker be it back roads, side roads, housing estates, shopping centre car parks etc etc.

Well I care rat runner. If you lived along this route would you not care? If you dont give a damn about other people - then these people will not give a damn about you.

Well I care rat runner. If you lived along this route would you not care? If you dont give a damn about other people - then these people will not give a damn about you.

These are all public roads (apart from shopping centers) and I have as much right to drive on them and my taxes contribute to their up keep exactly the same as the people living in the area.

If I cared or not is irrelevant as I have no grounds to complain and I know it and as I would have no problem doing the same in other areas I simply would accept that I gain by doing it in other areas and other people gain by doing it in my area.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The prom is underrated if anything, I love going there for a walk or run if I have a chance on weekends I'm back in Galway, I'd be on the prom regularly if I was living close enough, fantastic place.

I've driven in from home, miles outside the city just to run on the prom on a few occasions.

I guess each to their own, and obviously a lot of people feel different than me but I'd hardly call the no. 5 top thing to see in Galway according to TripAdvisor under-rated

I guess each to their own, and obviously a lot of people feel different than me but I'd hardly call the no. 5 top thing to see in Galway according to TripAdvisor under-rated

Well it's more people don't appreciate it I suppose having such a lovely area to walk or run so close to them and also so close to the city centre compared to beaches way of the beaten track etc. Its a fantastic sight looking out across the bay, even in bad weather and the fresh sea breeze etc just adds to it.

Thanks all. Houses coming up in ballybrit and roscam are rarities. They seem to rent very quickly. I'll keep looking :)

Gwayouhadah. I don't give a flying feck who sees me on the Prom. What matters is the sea, not being seen.

As for the east side of the city, no thanks. I once -- and only once -- cycled back from Parkmore (bleurgh) via the Tuam Road. Christ, but it was hideously grim. I found myself longing for Monivea Road, Lough Atalia Road and the Docks, which shows how bad it was. :)

Perhaps it's the equivalent of Nort and South in Dublin? De Nort Soide gets a bum rap, but it still has places like Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock etc. I'm sure there are lovely areas on the east side of Galway, it's just that I don't know them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Perhaps it's the equivalent of Nort and South in Dublin? De Nort Soide gets a bum rap, but it still has places like Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock etc. I'm sure there are lovely areas on the east side of Galway, it's just that I don't know them. :)

Yup. I'd never voluntarily walk the Tuam Rd ... kip of highest order. But Monivea is a pleasant enough stroll, including glimpses of the old glasshouses and the cool GMIT building.

• Advertisement
Advertisement