Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Rotten Boroughs

Options
  • 25-10-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I propose we end once and for all the tactic of vote buying by declaring that you are not taking your TD's salary.

http://www.thejournal.ie/brendan-griffin-kerry-fybough-national-school-499297-Jun2012/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157052/Sinn-F-barely-leave-wages-make-TD-Sandra-McLellan-says-partys-pay-policy-deter-candidates.html

I believe Luke Ming Flanagan 's 'schemes' are disingenuous in the extreme, he is professing to be overpaid, then rather than return the money to State coffers to pay for things, Flanagan gets to splash the cash - €9,000 to Boyle town council to buy 21 new road signs.

I consider this cheap, vote buying publicity, at the taxpayers expense. Cost to Ming €0 as he has already 'pledged' to only take 50% of his salary. It's a cheap and dubious tactic to buy re-election. I'm astonished that it is permitted under parliamentary rules.

Anyway, I believe this "My money, I'll decide where it is spent" attitude should not be permitted for public representatives as it distorts both democracy and transparency in public office. It is not the TD's money, it is public funds give in exchange for public service. If they are not required they should be returned to the Exchequer.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

MadsL wrote: »

I consider this cheap, vote buying publicity

Except he asks for his donations to be anonymous...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Seaneh wrote: »
    Except he asks for his donations to be anonymous...

So why did he go public with the €9k he gave for roadsigns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Thats not what a rotten borough means.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Dunny on the Wold is a rubber button.

Someone had to do it...

• Advertisement

An Coilean wrote: »
    Thats not what a rotten borough means.

That's why I said new...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So why did he go public with the €9k he gave for roadsigns?

He didn't, someone from the council told a local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

That's why I said new...

:confused: Language doesnt really work like that. You can't just put 'the new' before a word and then use it for a compleatly different meaning.

I don't understand.

On the one hand you have a TD that works on a national level, realising he doesn't need the 90k, so he gives a lot away to local groups.

On the otheryou have ministers and other TD's gobbling up as much money as possible.

Yes, you could say he's buying votes, but we livein a free democracy, if people don't want him to help out, they vote someone else in.

It appears you have a massive chip on your shoulder regarding Ming, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't understand.

On the one hand you have a TD that works on a national level, realising he doesn't need the 90k, so he gives a lot away to local groups.

On the otheryou have ministers and other TD's gobbling up as much money as possible.

Yes, you could say he's buying votes, but we livein a free democracy, if people don't want him to help out, they vote someone else in.

If I am not mistaken, from what I recall of some of his/her previous postings the OP has a massive chip on their shoulder about rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

I don't understand.

+1
    How many threads has the OP started about Ming at this stage?

If he has some personal issues with Mr. Flanagan, I wish he'd go and work through them somewhere else and not clog up this board with endless sniping threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭SeanW

I don't understand OP - a public representative claims that ALL politicans are overpaid, so rather than agree or disagree that they are overpaid, you excoriate the original claimant for doing something useful with his "overpayment" which you seem neither to agree nor disagree exists, but yet, he should be regluated on how he spends his phantom surplus to prevent him doing something useful with it as opposed to the rest of the politicians, but he (and the rest of the political class) may or may not be overpaid :confused:

I seem to be missing something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

An Coilean wrote: »
    :confused: Language doesnt really work like that. You can't just put 'the new' before a word and then use it for a compleatly different meaning.
    New Labour anyone?

I don't understand.

I'm pointing out that this so-called altruism has a less than sunny side and putting that out for debate. More politicians are at this than Ming and I feel that it is a disingenuous way of using State money.
    Political salaries should not be some race to the bottom auction, otherwise we end up with people who will work for free in persuit of some future gain.
    I'm for transparancy and integrity in politics, I don't give a damn if it is Ming or any other TD doing it.
    ]It appears you have a massive chip on your shoulder regarding Ming, why?
    Based on what? My criticism of a publicly elected official who flouts the law of the country?
    If I am not mistaken, from what I recall of some of his/her previous postings the OP has a massive chip on their shoulder about rural Ireland.

Nice, Ad Hominem attack. WTF has this to do with rural ireland?
    BQQ wrote: »
    +1
    How many threads has the OP started about Ming at this stage

Four. Excessive you think?
    If he has some personal issues with Mr. Flanagan, I wish he'd go and work through them somewhere else and not clog up this board with endless sniping threads.

If you have an issue with my threads, please report them to the mods.
    SeanW wrote: »
    I don't understand OP - a public representative claims that ALL politicans are overpaid, so rather than agree or disagree that they are overpaid, you excoriate the original claimant for doing something useful with his "overpayment" which you seem neither to agree nor disagree exists, but yet, he should be regluated on how he spends his phantom surplus to prevent him doing something useful with it as opposed to the rest of the politicians, but he (and the rest of the political class) may or may not be overpaid :confused:

I seem to be missing something here.

You are. The effect of spending State funds that have not been allocated to projects in the public representatives constituency which are expropriated by the TD in order tp popularise his term of office. Nothing phantom about a surplus when someone announces they do not need the salary, yet continues to draw it. We also have the potential that a proportion of that foregone salary is diverted back to the TD unbeknowns to the electorate.

If any politician states he doesn't need half his salary, fine. Great in fact. Let's not pay it. But paying it, and then pretending he is doing something great by giving it away is just a joke frankly.

Let's say a Govt Dept conducts a cost cutting exercise and determines that it no longer needs 50% of the funds it received last year. Fantastic, but what it if it still drew those funds and the executives decided to go on a nice cruise with the 50% they didn't need. Not so fantastic.

TDs who get up to this attention-seeking should have their salaries cut by the declared amount, but in my view, should not get the additional benefit of splashing the cash in their constituency.

murphaph wrote: »
    New Labour anyone?

New World Order? New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BQQ wrote: »
    +1
    How many threads has the OP started about Ming at this stage?

Mod:

If you have an issue with a poster starting too many threads on a topic/personality report the threads to the mods, don't bring the thread off topic by bringing it up, thank you.

Based on what? My criticism of a publicly elected official who flouts the law of the country?

Nice, Ad Hominem attack. WTF has this to do with rural ireland?

Four. Excessive you think?

If you have an issue with my threads, please report them to the mods.

Agian, please report posts rather than enter into a tit for tat that will just derail the thread and end up in cards/bans.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Still at a loss as to what the Sinn Fein link is about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dermot looney current labour mayor of south dublin council ( and Deputy Mayor Eamon Tuffy chipping in too,) is doing a similar thing but using 10k of their allowances http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=27293 call's it their mayor fund,

Still at a loss as to what the Sinn Fein link is about

TDs unable to afford to do their jobs properly because of artificial enforced pay limits determined by the party.
    dermot looney is doing a similar thing but using 10k of their allowances http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=27293 call's it their mayor fund, Deputy Mayor Eamon Tuffy chipping too

This strikes me as being absolutely autocratic. I put in X amount from my salary and now I get to play God with grants.

Democracy anyone?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Ming only has good intentions in mind for the people who voted him in.

TrueIt wrote: »
    Ming only has good intentions in mind for the people who voted him in.

He's a saint I'm sure. He's not very good at following laws however.

TDs unable to afford to do their jobs properly because of artificial enforced pay limits determined by the party.

A lack of make up is hardly stopping her from doing her job properly and SF average industrial wage policy is well established and known about. its not as if they springed it on her. plus, it has nothing to do with your "rotten borough" accusations, just nothing. its a totally different subject, but sure throw it in there anyway if it gives you your RDA of shinner bashing

A lack of make up is hardly stopping her from doing her job properly and SF average industrial wage policy is well established and known about. its not as if they springed it on her. plus, it has nothing to do with your "rotten borough" accusations, just nothing. its a totally different subject, but sure throw it in there anyway if it gives you your RDA of shinner bashing

Shinner bashing? How am I doing that?

Shinner bashing? How am I doing that?

The other posts have an at best tenuous link to your "rotten borough" accusations, the SF one has absolutely nothing to do with it, yet you felt the need to stick it in there anyway. It's pretty clear what you were at.

The other posts have an at best tenuous link to your "rotten borough" accusations, the SF one has absolutely nothing to do with it, yet you felt the need to stick it in there anyway. It's pretty clear what you were at.

Clear what I was at? You've lost me. I'm highlighting an political trick that runs across FG, Independents and SF.

I think you might be a bit sensitive about defending SF. I'm not attacking them.

Clear what I was at? You've lost me. I'm highlighting an political trick that runs across FG, Independents and SF.

I think you might be a bit sensitive about defending SF. I'm not attacking them.

Im not defending SF, I'm pointing out that the article you linked has nothing to do with the subject the thread is about.

Of course it does. The thread is about TDs announcing that they will not take their full salary (as SF TDs announce) and the TD or the party deciding where the remainder of the salary is spent.

I fail to see how you miss the connection...
    the party’s policy of only paying its TDs €34,000 a year while taking the rest of their salary for the party’s use.

is in the first paragraph.

• Advertisement

Advertisement